Features

Cisi Eze: FAQ on the “Other” Sexualities

Cisi Eze

Over time, I have had different conversations with homophobic people. Their homophobia is valid, because they do not understand what it means when people have a different sexuality. The human psyche fears that which it does not understand. Fear happens when we feel something poses a threat to us. We confront it or we escape it – fight or flight. In our bid to fight, we get hostile.

Most of us have closed our minds to understanding sexuality. We do not want to hear of it. Some of us have demonised being queer. I do not want to believe Nigerians are an evil bunch who would hurt people who are not hurting them. Working on the assumption that most homophobes have not understood the idea of sexuality, I decided to address few misconceptions people have of queerness.

It Is Against Religion
Religion backs many cases of homophobia; however, most of us need to understand that religion, like diet, is personal. From flirting with several religions, I learnt that God, according to various religions, is a loving being. How can we claim to hate people in the name of a loving God? Fornication is against most religions, but how often do we call it out? No sin is greater than the other.

Jesus lived in a time where people were queer, but what did Jesus really say – with his own mouth – about having an alternate sexuality? Jesus Christ, not Paul or Peter, is the basis of Christianity.

The sins of Sodom and Gomorrah are listed in Ezekiel 16:49. These sins are normalised in Nigeria.

It Is Unnatural
Nature, not nurture/society, decides what is natural or not. If society decided what is natural, no one would be born intersex. Nature fights something it does not want to exist. If nature did not want people to be queer, millennia of people being gay would have provoked nature to annihilate gay people.

People might want to say queer people are all HIV positive because they are horny folks, always having sex. Their perspective compels them to state HIV is nature’s way of fighting against gay folks. Nonetheless, hetero folks also run the chance of being HIV positive in the event they refuse to have safe sex. Besides, hetero folks have anal and oral sex; but they get hypocritical when it comes to two consenting adults of the same sex.

Paedophiles Are Homosexual
“Gays are paedophiles. They rape young boys.” Someone told me.

I replied, “How about the ones that rape young girls?”

In the case of paedophilia, the criminal is attracted to the age of the child, not the sex organ or gender identity. As the child is below the age of consent, it automatically becomes rape.

Having sex with children is not a sexual orientation. Sexual orientation is defined as “a person’s sexual identity in relation to the gender/sex to which they are attracted; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.” The definition did not include age. The attraction in paedophilia is age, not sex/gender.

You Can Cure Gayness
This is tantamount to saying you can cure negritude – the state of being a Negro. You can change your physical features, but your genes remain black. The black remains in you.

You can repress and suppress the gay, employ different ego-defense mechanisms to help you cope with the gay, try to pray the gay away. You can do all that, but it does not take away the gay from you.

Repression is not erasure. Therapy does not “straighten” out queerness. Internalising homophobia, hating other queer folks, will not “fix” the gayness.

“If Homosexuality Were Normal, Would You Be Here?”
Humanity is hued. If there are gay people, there is bound to be hetero and bi- people. The same way not everyone is bound to be hetero is the same way not everyone is bound to be gay.

Marriage was invented for economic reasons, not love. Were it for love, you would not have a master-slave dynamics. A couple consisting of a gay and a lesbian could decide to get married for the sole aim of having kids if they so desire. This does not stop them from having romantic partners outside the confines of marriage, as most married people are wont to do. Yes, you would be here regardless of whatever.

“Being Gay is Against Our Culture”
In pre-colonial Africa, gender and sexuality was fluid. It gets more interesting that there are no gender pronouns in our indigenous languages.

There are four races, four temperaments, four body types. Why do you think there are not four different types of sexuality? Individuals are wired differently. Some people love hip-hop, others love ballads. Why do you think that would not apply to sexuality? History shows people have always been gay – from paintings in caves down to some African monarchs.

The chief priest of the cult of Sango braids his hair. Ogugu and Wiyeke – two female Igbo goddesses – were married. Nzinga dressed like a man and had a harem of men known as her wives. In Uganda, they was the mukodo dako – men who took on a different gender status. They were permitted to marry other men.

“Gays Are Trying to Convert Us”
Some man told me this and I told him that he was scared of another gay man raping him. Most of what the media shoved at us was blatantly heterosexual, yet a lot of us are queer. If people could be converted, LGBTQIA individuals would not want to subscribe to a life of constant marginalisation.

“It Is Demonic”
Except we say God can create something demonic. God made things beautiful. That something deviates from the norm does not make it evil. We know how monotheistic religions demonise anything different. I gave up on institutionalised Christianity after reading a “Christian’s” take on Hinduism. A person does not understand a concept (culture, for example), and the next thing is to demonise it. Really brilliant!

We fear what we feel might be a threat to our existence. How are LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transsexual/transgender, queer, intersex, asexual) people a threat to our existence? Is there any logical reason that backs hurting people who are not hurting you? It is about time we started making effort to unlearning and relearning most of the things we were taught. We should stop harming people who are not harming us.

P.S. Hetero men are scared queer men would treat them the same way they treat women. This is selective homophobia. Everyone seems cool with queer women. Hetero men fetishisise queer women, and it must not be taken for acceptance. Women are scared men would rape, abuse, and harass them (same way hetero men are scared of queer men) – androphobia is real; however, how often do women go about hurting the rights of men?

Photo Credit: © Ruletkka | Dreamstime.com

Cisi Eze is a Lagos-based journalist, writer, comic artist, and graphics designer.She feels strongly about LGBT+ rights, feminism, gender issues, and mental health, and this is expressed through her articles as a guest contributor on Bella Naija, her blog – Shades of Cisi, a podcast she co-presents – We Said It, and an online radio show – Stirring the Waters. Aside these, she has works on Kalahari Review, The Rustin Times, Outcast Magazine, Holaafrica, Mounting the Moon, 14: An Anthology of Queer Art Volume 1 and 2.Cisi’s art challenges existing societal norms.

1. Jummy

March 12, 2018 at 3:53 am

According to SJWs, having ANY other opinion apart from endorsing homosexuality constitutes homophobia. LOL

Cisi, for someone who claims to be very learned, that assertion is so one dimensional it’s not even funny.

I know you’ll claim, like other SJWs, that any other scientific claims that back up homosexuality as unnatural is “pseudo science”

But beware, that old adage of “sin is sin” is false. I used to champion that until I said that to someone and he told me to open 1 John 5:17 “All unrighteousness is sin, but not all sin leads to death

Lastly, for you to say Christianity was built ONLY on the sayings of Jesus so any other talk aside from Jesus is invalid shows you know almost NOTHING about Christianity.

Anyway, me I don talk my own. Let me go back to sleep.

• Jam

March 12, 2018 at 4:16 pm

And how do you know homosexuality is one of the “sins” that leads to death?

• Jummy

March 12, 2018 at 5:07 pm

@Jam, Where did I imply that homosexuality was one of the sins that led to death?

But I do agree, homosexuality is a sin i believe that leads to death. Homosexuality is sin against the flesh. It’s sinning against your body. All other sins are external. Sexual immorality is sin against your body, and the bible says your body is the temple of God.

2. Lol

March 12, 2018 at 5:26 am

I’m going to say this without sounding judgmental.

Homosexuality is against God.
    I think what people however confuse is that all sin is the same for God whether I lie to my mom or whether you sin it’s the same.

God hates anything unclean. He doesn’t hate you he hates the sin. God is a loving God because he views you in the Perfect limelight he aims and wants you to be( through childlike faith, righteous living, and holiness).

Sexual sin is however the only sin that tarnished your physical temple. Your body is a temple that God dwells in.

In the Old Testament whenever priest wanted to go into a temple to peregrine scarifieces they had to be cleansed or they would come out dead.

God loves everyone no matter what but he also disciplines those who he loves.

If I love God I need to love and not judge anyone.

My prayer is that we Christians live as a light that we don’t even have to say anything but our lives will just make people want to know the God that made us this way.

I honestly apologize to anyone who has been made to feel hated by God. God loves you! So much. He came into this world for you.

• BlueEyed

March 12, 2018 at 8:23 am

This article is not for you. In fact because of people like you she deliberately put her first point to address your stance before anything else. So please you were better off not even reading this piece.
      @Cici I applaud your efforts and this is a great read, now not to preempt myself but I believe a select bunch of individuals here already knew these things. For the remaining Nigerians that are probably already typing away the repetitive nonsense they always comment when matters relating to homosexuality pops up, I always say THEY ARE NOT READY YET.
      Nonetheless, I will always champion for continuous information of the small minds, let them hate till they have no hate left, let them type till their keyboards disappear, but keep breathing folks, homosexuality has only just started dealing with your Blood Pressure.

• Ada

March 12, 2018 at 10:35 am

LMAO! See how virtuous BlueEyed is trying to sound.

“Nonetheless, I will always champion for continuous information of the small minds,”

In your mind now, you’re an “enlightened non-conformist”
      Oshey. Carry on.

@lol, everything you said is the complete truth. EVERYTHING.

3. Mondela

March 12, 2018 at 5:49 am

Nice write up. Thanks for trying to make an attempt to educate Nigerians on tolerance and the need for it. But sadly all these nice words won’t change anything, the homophobia of Nigerians is on another level, it’s DEEP! Lol. The funny thing is most Nigerians think gays are just weird, unusual social deviants e. g, bobrisky, denrele and the likes . If only they realize that alot of regular guys(bankers, doctors, lawyers entrepreneurs etc) are actually gay. But these guys try as much as possible to suppress their sexuality just to fit into society’s standards. These guys are our brothers, cousins, colleagues, friends, uncles. We need to start seeing things from another angle.

• Sherlie Holmes

March 12, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Gosh thats actually really scary…

4. Soa

March 12, 2018 at 6:05 am

BN, I jst want to say thanks for the beautiful playlist this morning, it took me down to beautiful memory lane.

5. Chinasa

March 12, 2018 at 9:35 am

As far as i am concerned i witness to 2 sexualities. we coin words to invoke a emotive reaction to side track people to alternative ways of thinking. I do not believe in homophobia. i look at it from a different anglel bearing in mind that there are 2 sexualities. I feel people who identify themselves as homosexuals have an unnatural phobia for the opposite sex. Unnatural because you were created to pair with the opposite sex. I wouldn’t lie and say I’ve done the research because i haven’t but most Nigerians i know who proclaim homosexuality would tell you a history of sexual abuse in childhood, or a traumatic experience from the opposite sex. And if this is the case on a large scale wouldn’t it be best for victims of sexual trauma to be given support and counselling to prevent the guilt, depression. anxiety linked with this homosexuality fall out. People will say oh but there are loads of homosexual’s in Nigeria my answer to that is when you add something to the menu of cause you will get people who would opt for this new item. Take it off the menu, they don’t even realise its gone. I wouldn’t call myself a church goer last time i was in church was (i cant remember) Culture ive lived abroad for years (I’m not really culturally inclined). I believe homosexuality is a sort of vent. In some cases of mental health venting is good but in other cases venting just leads you further down a rabbit hole of depression, anxiety, guilt and darkness. i feel homosexuality is a symptom of mental health imbalance.

• BlueEyed

March 12, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Well done Mental health specialist with your beer parlour analysis. Who defines a natural construct? Religion? Society? Since you don’t pander to both sides seeing as you have stated this, then we can conclude that the concept of sexuality itself is a form of human vent.

P.S I think millions of real mental health specialists would call you out on this, because there’s actually a majority of homosexual individuals that never experienced any form of abuse or sexual molestation from the opposite/same sex and still maintained their sexuality, same way a majority of straight individuals that experienced sexual abuse at an early age did not conjure up homosexuality.

6. zzzzzzzzzzz

March 12, 2018 at 9:43 am

Revelation 22:11-14
    11 Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.”
    12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.
    15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

7. Really

March 12, 2018 at 10:42 am

I understand the need to be tolerant and all but pls being homosexual is wrong. Finish. The aim is to show love ….Love your neighbor as yourself. Show love to the homosexuals and all but it doesn’t make it acceptable or ok. Let’s not decide to condone something because people are all of a sudden saying they can’t help it or control it. Every thing is about one’s mind. What you fill your mind with is what will manifest. Its like saying pre-marital sex is ok because everyone is doing it. Its like telling a little lie and thinking..o its just a harmless lie. We are all not holy but let us focus on obeying God’s word and actually doing what it debates. The African old religions which condoned all this gender fluidity were all idol worshipers and if you don’t mind me saying were all with pacts with devil and his angels(demons) which allowed them to go into all those practices. So pls I implore u ….the devil masquerades himself as an angel of light, telling you its okay to condone it , you won’t go to hell, God loves u still. Yes, God loves you and it unconditional, but if you continue to live in sin, can you make it to heaven……pls let of be mindful

8. honestly

March 12, 2018 at 10:46 am

Homosexuality is an affliction. How can a man take his precious blessed body parts and lust after another mans waste hole. Its a curse in its self. I don’t hate homosexuals i feel sorry for them because the world in its desire for sexual satisfaction through perversity does noting to help them. instead like a drug dealer it panders to the needs of addicts, Eze receive wisdom. stop lending your God given resources to the ministry of destruction.

9. B

March 12, 2018 at 10:48 am

Bella naija, I implore you to post this comment and not delete it in your usual fashion. Thank you.

Dear Ms Eze,

We are all entitled to our opinions, it’s a free world and God has given everyone freedom of choice. However, note that there will be consequences.

You lost me when you tried to justify homosexuality in the Christian context.

According to Christianity and the Bible which the faith is based upon, HOMOSEXUALITY is a SIN. There’s no other way the Bible has defined it. Fornication, stealing etc are also sins. The fact that people have accepted these sins will never make them right.

Condemning the homosexual acts does not mean I hate homosexuals. After all, I commit other sins too…

However, I will never try to justify my sins,… I call them what they are, confess them and try to repent of them.

No one is forcing anyone to be a Christian. However, as a Christian, you cannot pick or choose what to believe in the Bible, you either believe and live according to the faith or you choose another religion. It’s that simple.

Pls read the last chapter of the gospel of John… Where it’s said that ‘if all the things Jesus said and did was recorded in the Bible, then all the books in the world will not contain it’

Now leaving the Old Testament aside, where it has been explicitly and repeatedly said that homosexuality is a sin and Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for it.

Now let’s go to the New Testament which forms the basis of our Christian faith.

Matthew 19:12

Jesus talking about marriage (the only acceptable situation in the our Christian faith where sexual relations is acceptable before God)
    He spoke of God making humans MALE and FEMALE and for this reason, A MALE and FEMALE are joined together in holy matrimony.

Note that he never said Male and male or female and female.

This goes to show that God created sexual relationship only between the opposite sex.

Pls also read 1 Romans 1:18-31.

Let me quote especially 1 Roman’s chapter 1: Verses 24-28- “Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshipped and served the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen.
    For this reason, God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and men likewise gave up natural relations with women and we’re consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own person, the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct.”

Only the dumbest person will still argue that homosexuality is acceptable before God.

However, if you want to keep practicing your homosexual acts, Pls don’t try to force everyone to accept your way of life.

Peace.

10. Biddybiddy

March 12, 2018 at 10:57 am

This article almost makes sense… except for where the writer asserts that Homosexuality is as genetic as being a Negro is… Duh! There’s no Gay gene! Race is genetic but not sexual
    orientation and this is one of the reasons why people believe it can be cured and you don’t need to search that far to find people who were once homosexuals but have chosen to change their ways. #my2cents

11. passingby

March 12, 2018 at 11:12 am

@Blue eye, Cici and other members of the open mind bleeding heart group please thank you very much for your new way of thinking that knocks all unnecessary boundaries out. Maybe you guys can help my ministry. you see i was born Black from Nigerian parents I’m from edo state. However since i can remember i have always seen myself as a white person with british linage. please help my cause. there are many of us who feel we were created with the wrong racial identity. There are so many changeracialphobic Nigerians out there. i feel all i need is similar minded people like yourselves who would ,how did you say it let me cut and paste – ( champion for continuous information of the small minds), Halleluiah i knew in my heart that their exist people like your very virtuous selves who will bulldoze the boundaries that confine common sense. Please support my ministry. We are all fighting to be accepted the way our deluded minds perceive ourselves. Yes god made mistake and put us in wrong bodies. May the God that doesn’t make mistake bless your yeyefowl open mindedness.

• BlueEyed

March 12, 2018 at 1:22 pm

*Wink* I see what you did there, but honey nobody is knocking your dreams darling! Do you! Michael Jackson turned white and was still the worldwide icon he lived to become , infact yours is a case that would be celebrated and not marginalized, prosecuted and dehumanized, you know like that of “the homosexuals”

• passingby

March 12, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Oh so you see what I did there. What do you know!! a fish that can swim!!!, ill save my clappy hand Emojis for a more worthy cause. I dont think ill get any logic from the brain of a person who lust after another’s waste hole, pigs will fly first.

12. bokun

March 12, 2018 at 11:31 am

There is no need to over think this thing. Its just common sense. You have a plug and a socket. you put the plug into the socket to generate power life. 2 sockets / 2 plugs together does not generate electricity its a useless pairing. No matter the friction it will not create electricity infact continuous friction with wear it out. Such is life. That is how it was created to be. Stop pushing this useless agenda.

• BlueEyed

March 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm

Oh but the “agenda” has just only begun darling. Keep breathing.

• Jam

March 12, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Trust me, electricity is generated when I friction my boo. Hehe

13. bokun

March 12, 2018 at 1:47 pm

In the animal kingdom the weak and feeble are culled by a natural process. Healthy animals avoid them, there is no desire to mate with a diseased animal. Animals have been known to smell out disease in their young and either leave it behind to die or cannibalise it. There is order in this crude natural process you see blue eyes the defective gene that the weak disease carry is not allowed to replicate. Do you see blue eyes. I like others with common sense understand that homosexuality is a sickness and yes it can be genetic. Like heart disease, cancer, diabetes people can have a predisposition to be Homosexual. However unlike the other systemic diseases/ mental health disorders there are no little pills to cure homosexuality. Why do you think this is so. is there a deeper sinister agenda to halt the productiveness of Defective individuals. Whatever the case we HOMOPHOBIAS win because a natural cull is win win. however we are all not heartless, rebels without a scientifically backed cause. We are not animals that rely on a crude natural cull. That would be the devil. We have heart Blurry eyes hence we advise our loved ones and even strangers on the internet to fight resist, get help. Do not let the unnatural lust and the darkness lured you into a purposeless existence. Blur eye keep on cheer leading for the devil..

14. A Concerned Brother

March 12, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Nigerians sha….. If na to quote bible na we carry first, to point out sinners nobody reach us. Yet the country produces some of the worst…….*sigh*, maybe another day.

On the topic sha…. If two consenting adults choose to find happiness the way they know best I don’t see any reason why I should go around making life harder for them than it already is. The questions I ask myself. Are they harming anyone? Not that I know of. Are they putting anyone’s life in danger or at risk? None that I can see. To me, the only reason I should get physically involved is if any of the above criteria is met.

If their life choice is considered “sin” isn’t that God’s place to jugde? Some may argue that gay couples run the risk of getting STDs. Well there are also instances of wives getting AIDS from their husbands and their husband’s are straighter than a ruler’s edge. So who’s life is perfect?

I for one am not gay but I wouldn’t go around pelting people with stones because their live choices don’t conform with my beliefs. How would that make me different from the fabled mob threatening to stone Mary Magdalene or worst the jihadist going around maiming people for having different beliefs. Please people, no one is perfect, no one is sinless. Lets learn to love one another. Love covers all wrong.

15. Lailatu

March 12, 2018 at 6:07 pm

Cici FYI, Both Paul and Peter were writing under the influence of the Holy Spirit, which is the spirit of God. So we will not forget what they said. If you want to preach homosexuality, do it outside of the Bible.

16. Chinasa

March 12, 2018 at 6:56 pm

@Blue eyed I’m far from a mental health specialist, like i said i cant lie. But in heart to heart casual conversations with friends and colleagues who suffer from opposite sex phobia they have disclosed disturbing accounts of initiation into sex through some sort of perversity such as child sex abuse, exposure to extreme pornography, rape , one friend even said he experienced his first orgasm through childhood sex abuse. He said he has tried heterosexual relationships but could never reach climax during sexual relations. According to him sex is dirty, he needs to feel helpless and vulnerable to be able to climax. He feels guilt and revulsion after the act. If i got a dollar for how many similar accounts i have listened to, i would be a millionaire. Its good to talk because it leads to finding the source of trauma and healing. Do your research blue eyes. try and be unbiased. Remember the truth will first make you mad but give it time it will set you free. I truly feel for you my friend.

17. Oma

March 12, 2018 at 7:54 pm

All these overly exposed people showing their wonderful open mindedness… and judgemental ways too. All the time I read articles supporting homosexuality, the writers usually point out how people with differing opinions on the the lifestyle are homophobic. Aren’t you guys tired of beating the ‘phobic( horse? Whatever you like , write…. homosexuality is out of the norm … and whether you guys say it a zillion times, not supporting that alternative lifestyle does not always mean one is being judgemental…for some like me, it just means one does not support it…simple. I’ve seen all sorts of sexual lifestyles but the only one I understand and accept it heterosexuality because the Bible says so and my logical sense finds it normal in that the parts created for it actually fit properly. ..it’s that simple for me.. and I honestly do not care what others are doing or judge them for it as God is the judge … what I’m tired of is being tagged homophobic, trans phobic, fluid phobic , where phobic and assorted phobic just cos I disagree with something. These LGTQWXetc folks are the most judgmental people …always waiting to pounce on whoever does not subscribe to their views …na by force? And CIsi…that your ancestors were living a certain way does not make it right ….or do you also want us to revisit other old practises of the ancestors such as killing twins or mislabelling women who have multiple births? That argument ..with many others..are just not relevant here. Bye

18. Frollo sigh

March 12, 2018 at 8:09 pm

leviticus had a lot of laws to guide the israelites who were freed from years of slavery from egypt.. If you want to apply such harsh rules then apply all of it. Ask yourself why pick and choose which to keep and which to kill/stone to desth/imprison people for

the laws were many..lots of us both hetero and non will be dead if not for a merciful God but human beings pick and choose

here a few I HIGHLIGHTED but they are many so READ STUDY MEDITATE and determine if you are leading a holy enough life to condemn another abi ALL OF UNA GO DEY THAT HELLFIRE TOGETHER ….read for understanding and judge for yourself, read it again and again..so many laws including but not limited to:

‘Do not steal.

“‘Do not lie.

“‘Do not deceive one another.

12 “‘Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

13 “‘Do not defraud or rob your neighbor.

“‘Do not hold back the wages of a hired worker overnight.

14 “‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord.

15 “‘Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

16 “‘Do not go about spreading slander among your people.

“‘Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor’s life. I am the Lord.

17 “‘Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt.

18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

19 “‘Keep my decrees.

“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals.

“‘Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.

“‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

26 “‘Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.

“‘Do not practice divination or seek omens.

27 “‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

28 “‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

29 “‘Do not degrade your daughter by making her a prostitute, or the land will turn to prostitution and be filled with wickedness.

30 “‘Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for my sanctuary. I am the Lord.

31 “‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God.

32 “‘Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord.

33 “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

They must not marry women defiled by prostitution or divorced from their husbands, because priests are holy to their God. 8 Regard them as holy, because they offer up the food of your God. Consider them holy, because I the Lord am holy—I who make you holy.

9 “‘If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

10 “‘The high priest, the one among his brothers who has had the anointing oil poured on his head and who has been ordained to wear the priestly garments, must not let his hair become unkempt[b] or tear his clothes. 11 He must not enter a place where there is a dead body. He must not make himself unclean, even for his father or mother, 12 nor leave the sanctuary of his God or desecrate it, because he has been dedicated by the anointing oil of his God. I am the Lord.

13 “‘The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so that he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.’”

16 The Lord said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. 18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot or hand, 20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. 21 No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the Lord. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. 22 He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; 23 yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.’”
    37 “‘Keep all my decrees and all my laws and follow them. I am the Lord.’”

but we only remember the popular 18 and 20. WELL HERE THEY ALL ARE:

4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’”

read for understanding and judge for yourself, read it again and again..so many including:

• B

March 12, 2018 at 11:03 pm

Quoting Leviticus blindly without understanding the concept in order to score cheap points.

The issues of incest mentioned above still stands in Christianity.
      The laws pertaining to the high priests (levites) who they marry and how they look physically does not matter in Christianity as Jesus came to establish a new law and new covenant. So nothing like high priests any longer.
      The issue of Unclean foods was abolished in Christianity in the books of acts in the new treatment when GOd told Peter in a dream that no food was unclean.

Some sins on the other hand esp the sins against the 10 commandments, homosexuality, incest are still condemned widely throughout the New Testament and are still considered sinful in Christianity. Nobody is claiming to be holy here, we all sin… But let’s learn to call sin sin.

Now run along, your questions have been answered.

• TOLU

March 13, 2018 at 1:00 am

Some of those laws were ‘cleanliness’ laws to distinguish the Israelites from the surrounding nations e.g. the laws on wearing different fabrics. The others are moral laws. In Jesus, the cleanliness laws have been fulfilled. The moral laws are still application to us today because God’s morality remains unchanged. Calling out one sin as sin e.g. homosexuality, adultery etc is necessary when there is societal pressure to accept it. That said, homophobia has no place in the church!

19. Frollo

March 12, 2018 at 8:17 pm

My BN appears to be coming back! Loving the intellectually stimulating comments..dropped my own comment on why ppl ignore the REST of LEVITICUS focused on just two verses? i C&P the rest..hope its posted and it helps.,. BN pls dont delete comments or over moderate..its demeaning to adults,,back to lurker mode

20. Amara

March 12, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I have no issue with Gays but my problem is when they want to have kids.If getting sexually involved with the same sex was okay then they should be able to make babies but no,they can’t.If their parents decided to have sex with the same sex,I wonder how they would have come to existence.

21. Anon

March 12, 2018 at 10:11 pm

In my home we have had the talk with our kids the advice is
    1. Homosexuality is a sickness of the mind
    2. be proud of your gender, do not shy away from the responsibilities of your gender. You are naturally equip to take on your responsibilities. If in doubt speak to us we are here to help.
    3. be kind and non judgemental towards your sick homosexual neighbour
    4. protect yourself from infection.
    when we talk about homosexuality we also talk about other illnesses so that the kids can start from an early age to see it in the category of ill health. my people protect your families. There are some weird stuff out there. the other day a colleague showed me a video of a man with a HORSE. Yes o. Strange evils are happening.

• BlueEyed

March 13, 2018 at 10:46 am

Lmao! I already see this parent running mad when not one but two of her children come out. Don’t worry dear, you’ll be “mentally” equipped to handle it.
      The parents of children who steal and committed crimes didn’t instill values in them, going by your analogy, we turned out mindless and listened to everything our parents told us.
      Keep breathing dear, U go dey alright. “The gays” have not started yet

• Anon

March 13, 2018 at 4:46 pm

The devil is a liar. My prayers are for my children to be WELL. i have not prayed or hoped for anyone’s children to be sick. Blueeyed you are not a nice person. may your curses fall back on you.

• bokun

March 13, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Are your parents proud of u blueeyed? Maybe u have disappointed them with your choice. i feel sorry for them

• zedtem

March 14, 2018 at 1:18 am

And tell them very soon they won’t have to believe you.

• lookhere

March 14, 2018 at 1:33 am

Responsibilities of your Gender, like?

22. Smh

March 13, 2018 at 8:20 pm

@ Anon, well said. Please continue to lead your children in the right way to go, they will turn out well by His grace. Amen.

23. zedtem

March 14, 2018 at 1:08 am

Kai…
    Please guys when next there is a post on corruption
    Terrorism
    Unemployment
    Bad roads
    A beg come and quote for us.

24. frollo

March 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm

B WROTE: Nobody is claiming to be holy here, we all sin… But let’s learn to call sin sin.

Now run along, your questions have been answered

Firstly I do not claim to know all. I seek englightment, my mind is open to opinions. Thanks for your response and for explaining. You clearly understand the bible better and yet you forgot ,1 Samuel 2:3
    talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth or Proverbs 21:24 or James 1: 19 or 1st timothy 6:4-5
    What do you mean by score cheap points? And why do you want me
    to run along?
    did you have to be condescending in conveying your points. even if for nothing consider romans 14::1 proverbs 15::1

Another thing, my point was there are so many rules in the bible which till today we, as Christians, are not following including lying fornication deception stealing adultery murder (direct and indirect through our choices or position in life we condemn ppl to lack a means of income and thereby starve to death or we work them to death. And do we really really keep the Sabbath day holy? Can we beat our chest today and say we whether as individuals or as a collective actually love our neighbours like we love ourselves?

Yet when the issue of LGBTQIA comes up in some countries ..even an innocent effeminate metrosexual male, who even at 7 was exhibiting effeminate charateristics is in very dangerous waters. I mean countries go as far as stigmatizing them, ostracisizing them, parade them naked, stone them, murder them and leave their corpse as a threat to others.
    Perhaps when we parade naked and stone the fornicator and adulterer, the one who works or does anything on sunday but pray,praise and fast (keep Sabbath holy is in the old and new testamen,t no?) stone the one who lies (aww I love your gift when they hate it, I have those items in stock, when you don’t have it yet….i will deliver or pay up by this time when we know we wont, calling in sick, lying about not having money, lying in visa applications..the list is endless)
    then should we murder the gossips and hang them as a sign to all gbeboruns?
    .ostracise those who steal***when we say steal and lie a certain image to our minds but stealing and lying are varied and very easy sins to commit… (society celebrates the ones who steal without conscience in billions), heck BN and other bloggers posts their weddings and enjoy from the spoils.lol.. other examples are stealing intellectual properties, copying and pasting articles without due reference, all na steal o… even stealing like say an old persons mobile phone or money falling off his/her bag is picked up and kept as ‘the thieves luck’….oh and just in case you didn’t know, taking paper and pen meant for the work place for personal use is stealing.. so is using work hours for anything that is not work can be seen as stealing…along with many other legal terms. Those who water down drinks, those who repair with fake parts, those who sell fake things as the real deal, should they be torn apart limb from limb? the guy who beat up his loving wife to death, locked her deadbody in, went to work, all day in the naija heat the body swelling in their flat,, then sending someone to his house…so he can feign ignorance of her death. They did not strip him, parade him stone him, drag him by his genitals, nope.He is possibly married again.
    Lets not go to the rules that the ladies should be silent in the church, yet female pastors abound or ladies should cover their hair in church.? do we? so many rules so many laws, follow them all 100% and then condemn others or agree that we are works in progress and live by His Grace.

We know we are not perfect, we know we cant keep all those rules . we know we cant truly stand if we are judged yet instead of trying to work on our lives and show Christlike attributes by showing compassion to these people who are at the threat of death, brutal death for just being alive, is so hard.. Jesus in his life time did so many remarkable things, he even allowed a known prostitute to get close to him, to even touch him. If there were lgbtqia there, wont he allow them get close to him as well.? The anger he really displayed was to people who claimed to be more righteous than anyone else(i.e, the Pharisees) and those who turned the church into a place of business.

Then for those who say its a choice, I don’t know much being Hetero myself, I don’t remember choosing to be hetero…, but what I know is that Nigeria society is indeed very cold and harsh, so harsh that hetero females of a certain age are so desperate to get married and stay married, even at the risk of their lives/lives of their kids. So for a Gay person to CHOOSE to be gay in this cold, harsh naija world,,,i don’t know o.

Proverbs 18:2 : These people are here to stay. Baby boomers and Generation X witnessed a lot of ‘coming out of the closet cases to Gay marriage being legal.. They witnessed the acronym LGBT adding I and A
    Millenials grew up knowing Gay icons. Generation Z or iGen will not even see it as a thing. So it is best to understand it. live and let live

Psalm 17:10
    They close their hearts to pity; with their mouths they speak arrogantly.

Anyway the debate is good, it helps people understand..because we tend to fear what we do not understand.
    Like someone said somewhere you will be surprised the number of lbtqia in your network

Thanks again for your reply