Zali Debut Collection – The Lookbook

Oh how I adore styling lookbooks! I love tying a collection together by simply picking a theme and making it run cohesively through the collection.

Uchechi Chidinma Ilodianya is the creative director behind Zali. Her pieces can be casual or semi-formal , with pieces for almost every body type, a factor I find very important in a collection.

Fresh, wholesome, effortless and wearable with tribal influences but not in your face; These are some of the words you could use to describe the 13 piece Zali debut collection. The collection features eclectic separates such as the stunning 3D urban tee “crow”, the structured “Bauble” and the boho-style hoodie “Shroud” .The accessories line features handbags such as the frilly “Horama” and the moon shaped holdall aptly named “Moon”

I was super impressed by her collection and got her to share her thoughts and aspirations.“There are many sides to being a woman” says Uche. “Most women today have multifaceted lives- wife, mother, friend, employee, employer and lots more. The pieces I’ve created are for women who live life or want to live life to the fullest. They can be worn from business meetings to cocktails with the girls to catch up on all the latest gossip, taking the kids to the park or even for that romantic walk with the one you love. There is something for everyone, the Soho fashionista, bohemian at heart, preppy pretty or adventurous style addict. The underlying theme across the eclectic line is happiness, I’d love my designs to evoke happiness, because that’s the one feeling we all need for all our different roles as women”.

I shall certainly be rocking one of these pieces.

Bags by YEMISII

Photography: Moussa Moussa
Styling: Ezinne Chinkata
Make-up: Banke Meshida-Lawal
Model: Chika Emmanuella for Elite Models

55 Comments on Zali Debut Collection – The Lookbook
  • Miss J April 27, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’m not sure if i’m really feeling the clothes. But the bags are a whole different story: loving it! Great styling and lovely model as well

• adnyl chicago April 28, 2011 at 11:42 am

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE BAGS!! I LIVE IN CHICAGO THERE IS SOMETHING SIMILIAR GOING ON HERE WITH THESE KIND OF BAGS, SMALLER HOWEVER I LIKE THESE BAGS!! LOTS OF ROOM AND FASHION FORWARD

• Mercy April 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Very lovely pieces!!! Definitely a must-have.

• lucy April 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Love the collection, but terrible styling.

The stylist needs to do much better than this.!!!!

• BigBen April 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I could care less about female bags, but would smile if I saw my girl carrying any of those bags…the clothes are ok

• Luvlyn April 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

D same style of bag wif different fabrics?? Wats so nice abt it??

• BigBen April 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Wat’s so nice about Polo tops that has them flying off the shelves????

• Spree April 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…lmao, nice comeback btw

• Miss Face April 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Kai, acid tongue u got there!**(or shd i say fingers?)** LWKMD!

• bimbim April 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

even our foreign designers dont sell casuals dis expensive!haba 20k for dat dress???its beautiful,but d price is nt….

• bluebubbles April 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love the bags buh the problem I have wit things I see online is dat dey look better in pics dan real life so it makes me sceptical weneva i want to order.

• uche May 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

i Agree, my problem is unlike a leather bag, i cant pay so much for ankara printed bags that i wont be carrying that much, cos its ankara! simply doest fit with my everyday life.

And the new way for some african designers now is buy things from shop and tweak it a little bit and wala they have a collection. KUDOS

• moi April 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

just loving d model, making every piece worthwhile.

• BOBBYDOX April 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

wow love the outfits and d model did justice

• Peperempe April 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

The model does her best to sell the clothing, but in my opinion the accessories outshone the clothing. The clothes are just okay, basically a rehash of the “Lagos” look – sew any random thing and just stick an Ankara patch on it.

• Eve April 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm

i want all the bags

• wendu April 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm

this is what they call a model…. I particularly love the 4th and the 7th pose

• Chris April 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Nice collection, but i’m trying to figure out why the model has red eyebrows. I’m sure its supposed to be artistic since Banke did it.

• Miss ATL April 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Model – A+
    Bags – A-
    Clothes – Erm… C

• Tyna April 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm

d model brought out d beauty of d clothing even-though i dnt understand d concept of d cloth bt d bags ar killing me……………. nice work?

• OGE April 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm

The model did justice to the cloths. nice bags but same shapes why?

• shonnywilliam April 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

y3es it was nice 2 see a little ankara scatter in diferent parts on a garment or fabric but d sewing is simple and d bags can be done ani where just meet a good tailor i love d work dnt get me wrong it was beautiful and d model solved d case of fashion…..shonnywilliam

• anny April 27, 2011 at 3:00 pm

The Model is amazing i think she’s the best ive seen so far on this website….the others always look like random girls posing for the camera……and yeah the bags a pretty

• Tiki April 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’ll remember this collection for two things – 1. the model rocks! and 2.they put their prices up! that said, I wouldn’t mind me a bag or two from Zali…

• John May 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm

hello, you can call 07055439284 to place an order.

• bonjour April 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Kudos to ezinne chinkata!! Nice styling but I expect no less from a girl who always delivers. Total styling a hundred percent. Like the bags too- those shapes are so in this season!!

• Afronubia April 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Chika is amazing!!!!! OMG I didnt see the clothes honestly I was just gazing at her loveliness! Girl you are fine!!! Clothes are ok.

• Nene April 27, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Yeah, the model is definitely high-fashion. U go gurlll, you need to go global, by the way!

• dewowo April 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm

cutie…

• mii April 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm

love the bags, love the model

• Purpleicious Babe April 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I like the white top and black skirt.. very modest and stylish….

• Purpleicious Babe April 27, 2011 at 5:40 pm

btw the bags are hottie

• DIVA April 27, 2011 at 6:07 pm

love the bags!!!!absolutely must haves…and some of the outfits!!! nice work!

• miss b April 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

bags are nice but not if they cost an arm & leg

• qdelight April 27, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love this collection!!!!!!! I think this is the best collection I’ve seen on here in a long time. Totally wearable!!! Exactly as described. Not in your face! We all want to be African and wear African but how many of us actually wear full African attire to work or to high profile meetings?
    I could easily wear any of these pieces.
    Great lookbook….the designer knows her stuff, and has put a lot of effort into the shoot. Styling, makeup, model and most importantly pieces!!!

• tweetypie April 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thank you Big Ben!! Luvlyn duh!!! its a collection!!!
    At last a collection that promotes simplicity and is still very authentic. Do we have to always have sequins, lace, masquerade like colours and every kind of fabric thrown into one collection. I’m so sick of people being so myopic!!! The whole point of a collection is that the pieces are all complimentary and they have a theme running through.
    I also notice that some of the African fabric is from way back …remember my Mum rocking some of them wrappers. Most have cost a lot…thats attention to detail…..Nostalgia!!!!! Love it …need me some Zali.

• Angela April 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

The bags are really lovely.

• baby April 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

i hardly find models in most photoshoots smiling-thats the first thing i noticed. its not tv its photo-cut the smile. trust moussa moussa for doing justice to his work, banke must have sent someone to do makeup-red brows? maybe its a new trend she wants to create but me i wont be rocking red brows anytime soon. judging from these pictures looks like she is modelling just the bags. the clothes are not jumping at the camera. the bags speak more. next time style the clothes separate from bags.

• BLESSEDBREAD April 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Em, this is a bunch of DIY clothing. You don’t make them, just get someone else’s work and slap ankara leftovers on it? Tufiakwa!

Anyway I’ll kill for the oval bags! Ugh! Sexyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

• John May 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

hello, you can call 07055439284 to place an order. We stitch our own cloths and the leather bags are also hand made. It takes about a month to make the bags from scratch. That is why we ask clients to pay a 70% deposit and the remaining 30% on delivery, or the full sum before we start making the bags. I got a few units yesterday from our tailors and if you would like to look at them, you can call me.

John
      22756E65

• THE AMAKA April 28, 2011 at 1:23 am

CHIKA EMMANUEL IS GREAT! she has been one of my favorites! so real and beautiful and simple and muah! can’t believe she is only 16! is this football age or what? lol
    the clothes were cool, the bags were nice though, best part of the collection.
    totally see myself wearing some of these clothes during the summetime.

• diva April 28, 2011 at 2:36 am

i like the 2nd bag,i’ld soooo rock it

• special April 28, 2011 at 3:59 am

CHIKAAAAAAA!
    lil miss fierce!

• lola April 28, 2011 at 4:50 am

great model!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ready April 28, 2011 at 6:13 am

The model did most of the work in making these pieces gorgeous. I love the bags, shorts and the short skirts best. But that’s not what’s being sold here so I guess that’s not a good thing for the designers, hunh?

• fokasibe April 28, 2011 at 11:24 am

The model…I TAKE HER OVER ANY PIECE…

• joy April 28, 2011 at 11:53 am

Stick 2makin baags! Ican put ankara on my polos!

• dewowo April 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

CHIKA is simply beautiful.
    shame on Brazilian wig!

• Os. April 29, 2011 at 7:40 am

The hoOdie is the TRUTH! I quite like her… great choice of model too.

• rapheal wesly April 29, 2011 at 11:19 am

nice collections ,gorgeous model

• Shukulicious Shu-Shu May 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Nice collection, but take it easy on the prices, i mean just a touch of ankara on some piece then it’s a sky rocketting price, come on……

• eagle eye May 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Go girl, weather she got them patches on a ready made or not, dis style is meant for some individual who don’t like to much fuss going on. PPle do appreciate this point of view cos i’ld rather prefer an african making money designing collections like this than an oyinbo who would not contribute to africa yet smile to the bank to our own ankara print. Now they are stepping it up see Gwen Stephani with our ankara in the most ridiculous choice of print n color. Yet some of u baddd critics would still buy abroad stuff for u in 9ja n feel cool.4 u babes leaving abroad good for u, u don’t have to stress yourself to get ur fashion piece together, there are hunderds of shops competing for your attention! Zali well done i see your point of veiw. You have ur market keep working hard girl!

• lopez January 9, 2012 at 11:03 am