Mercy Johnson is letting you know that if at first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again.

The Nollywood star recently had an interview with Saturday Tribune in which she spoke about her journey into fame, her family, her husband and why she is so much happier now.

Read Excerpts from the interview;
On getting to the top: “Sometimes when I cry in movies, it isn’t the script that makes me cry. When I recall my humble beginning, I give thanks to God. When I remember how we moved into an uncompleted building and had to take cover whenever it rained because of the condition of the house; how my brother did a menial job as a bricklayer to earn a living and those days when we rolled over a stick to cover the windows up till the point when I started acting and raised money to cover the roof… I recall those days we were living with lizards because the floor and the walls of the house were not plastered, or when I had scars as a result of my several falls.”

On starting out as an actress: “After my secondary school education, I failed the University Matriculation Examination (UME) and came back to Lagos to get a degree. While that was on, I watched Genevieve Nnaji in a movie entitled; Sharon Stone. I later approached a friend for assistance to feature in a movie. He said I had a great body and that I would make a good actress. He later took me to the National Theatre, but a role did not come until a year later, when I had my first lead role in a film entitled; The Maid. “

On being a Mrs: “Marriage has taught me lots of things and I’ve learnt a lot since I got married too. I know that if I had gotten married earlier, I wouldn’t have made most of the errors I made. It’s good to be married to somebody who is so organized; he brings you up the right way and reminds you of whom you’re supposed to be.

Marriage has been sweet for me because I have the best husband and daughter in the world. Being a married woman, I have learnt to tolerate things more. It has changed my perspective of life and the way I react to things.

When I’m not at location, I spend quality time with my family. And guess what? My husband has always been there for me and Purity. It’s obvious we are his priority. He’s a loving husband and father. He understands the nature of my job. He’s the best thing that has happened to me. People usually say men are not reliable. In the case of my husband, he’s a blessing. “

On the attraction: “What attracted him to me was his fearless approach. You know sometimes, you meet some guys and they get intimidated about you, but not with him. The first time we were supposed to have a date, he said “Let’s go to my house so you can cook for me” and in my mind, I was like “Seriously, this guy doesn’t know my name.” So, I said “My name is Mercy Johnson” and he said “Yes I know.”

On negative reports:  “A lot of untrue things have been said about me, but I have come to realise that it doesn’t cost people anything to cook up lies about me. The one I remember vividly is the one they said I stole money and also snatched people’s husbands. I lost a deal worth N 50 million from a telecommunication company because of that.”

On Tonto Dikeh dissing her on Twitter for returning to work after 2 months of welcoming Purity: “I’d rather not talk about it.”

50 Comments on Started from the Bottom, Now She’s Here! Mercy Johnson’s Success Story may Make You Shed a Tear…or Two
  • laughter January 4, 2014 at 9:28 pm

i love that.it means that the God of miracle is stil working. To God be the glory.

• lois January 4, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Inspiring

• i love her January 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm

the interview seems old..plus she told us this a long time ago…..i love and respect her so much!

• madman January 4, 2014 at 9:54 pm

These kinds of interviews are problematic. They equate happiness to marriage which is not true.

• Ki January 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I love Mercy! Nollywood actress toh bad! She can also act! Note her matured response to the Tonto saga, Iya Purity nothing do you! Upwards and onwards!

• Ki January 4, 2014 at 9:57 pm

mature*

• Tola January 4, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Its so obvious that Mercy has really grown up…God bless you more!

• itsjustme January 4, 2014 at 10:39 pm

i really like Mercy…her humble beginnings makes me not want to give up :)

• whocares January 5, 2014 at 12:06 am

I never thought it was possible to love MJ more, but I do, I do, I do, I do!!!

• MyView January 5, 2014 at 1:00 am

Well she made it from nothing, good job. I don’t know about snatching because I don’t think that anyone can be snatched if they did not want to. I also don’t think it is wise to be gloating about an uneducated and unemployed man that left his wife & kids to be with you. I wouldn’t call it reliable, I’d call it very convenient for an irresponsible man.

• Me January 5, 2014 at 2:00 am

I really love this lady. A very talented actress. Keep it up and keep it real as you have. You lost 50m due to lying tongues, watch God do even better 10 folds in your life. God bless you.

• Ib January 5, 2014 at 2:03 am

“Id rather not talk about that”..Class!! Face Me I face You meets Banana Island…

• Mademoiselle January 5, 2014 at 2:36 am

Great interview. Great woman! I like that she didn’t bother with the tonto dike mess.
    God bless you, Mercy!

• fun January 5, 2014 at 2:50 am

Love me sone mercy johnson

• naynay January 5, 2014 at 3:02 am

Why is Tonto Dikeh talking crap for? she needs to start thinking about what her body will look like in the future after all that bleaching and tattoo’s that she flaunts all around the place mtcheeewwww at least Mercy is happy, married, has a child and satisfied kmt. How stupid! Before you start pointing fingers at other people make sure your one is clean she would probably do worse don’t say anything unless your in her shoes mtcheeeewwww!!

• samuelohis.blogspot.com January 5, 2014 at 3:04 am

Eya…..wat a pity
    samuelohis.blogspot.com

• Omalicha January 5, 2014 at 3:34 am

I respect this babe too much! Phenomenal, hard-working actress! So grounded despite the fact that she coulda done some major damage staying single with that her shape! Very unassuming and private unlike alot of her colleagues. Stay the way u are boo!

• Ojo caroline January 5, 2014 at 8:36 am

I love it

• Egbe esther January 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

Mercy GOD has blessed me and nothing any one can do abut it. I was opportuned to act with mercy and the short moment I sent with him is like I hav non him of years . If people that gossip u than their is nothing great in u, I lov u mercy hope to see u again.

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 5, 2014 at 5:58 pm

So, let me get this straight… You’re a currently working actress? Oh, Nollywood ohhhhh…. Asaba/Iweka Road traders continue to choke your professional growth ….

• Idak January 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm

In this new year, we bind these sorts of comments in Jesus name!
      I tried reading it and had to give up at the second attempt,I almost had migraine.

• Ada Nnewi January 6, 2014 at 8:48 am

ROTFLMAO!!!

• labells January 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

Love you mama purity

• Endo January 5, 2014 at 9:57 am

Happy for her rise from grass to Grace and her mature response to the question about Tonto was spot on!

endochallenges.wordpress.com

• @ify_eva January 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

I looove Mercy J

• Busarni January 5, 2014 at 11:00 am

@leah: hope your facts are correct ooh. Abi are you the ex wife. Just asking

• Chigbo January 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

She said she lost a telecom deal because of the things people said about her that weren’t true. But I believe the snatching of husband to be true. Afterall the man was someone s husband before she came along so that one is evident for all to see. Ain’t no rumor in that.

• tobi amokeodo January 5, 2014 at 11:58 am

Leah! Calm down! Biko!

• Sexxie January 5, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Haba Leah! You are too bitter for your own good! Wetin Mercy do you sef???

• Leah January 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Lol! I know Mercy Johnson is the matron saint for all dirty up and coming homewreckers in villages across the country, but this is not the season for homewreckers at all, ask Gabrielle Union. She too was bragging and posting pictures of her perfect life while his ex and kids lost their home untill Karma came knocking.. But at least Gabbby is beautiful and the man involved is rich and famous. She gave a public interview, this is a public forum and I have a right to my opinion on the nonesense she spills as much as you idol worshipers. Loving fathers do not sacrifice their children for the love of someone famous, and I know that because I was raised by one. A loving father works his behind off to feed, cloth, shelter, educate, provide a loving home as well as be there for ALL his children. Why is her child more precious than his other ones? Has the moral climate of our society frozen over that we endorse this kind of behavior? Sit back mama and wait for your day and while waiting send Genevieve and Omotola some flowers for no longer making movies. I am supposed to be impressed with a woman stuck in the mud in Asaba so she can feed a jobless man with a wife and kids, please. So over arguing with market women with internet access.

• Joy January 5, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Leah abi wetin be yr name, you are just a -! Which one come concern you for the matter? Voltron oshi! Keep judging and see what life has in store for u! Mumu! Mercy ride on jere! Ppl dont get that what matters in life is true happiness!

• nene January 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm

the entertainment industry has helped a lot of people. it’s the same in hollywood, and other parts of the world. most of these celebrities lived in the ghettos, trailer parks, they had horrible and depressing childhoods.

• NNENNE January 5, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Tonton Dikeh never mentioned her name or any names BTW.
    She praises her husband too much in the media. She does not have to prove anything to anyone. Enjoy your good fortune silently.
    An inspiring article.

• Lateh January 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Thank you my sister for speaking my mind. After abandoning his other children… I bet the other woman felt the same way she is feeling now. Na wah for reliable meb ohhh

• Nessa January 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Why is this woman always boating about a husband that is still married to another woman and on top of that a Deadbeat Dad. Where I come from deadbeat dads are regarded as useless and unworthy of the titles Man and Father. How desperate and insecure as a woman to end up with such a person. Try to convincinly play a role outside of your usual hooker and local roles and let us know when that man gets a job. Please enough with this over hyped woman this year, Nigeria can definitely do better.

• Idak January 5, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the prosecution wishes to rest its case on the quote above.

• MyView January 6, 2014 at 2:41 am

Hahaha…I’m glad you caught that. And that is all the so called talent Mercy Johnson has. And she has it on display in every movie. Body that it.

• Endowed January 5, 2014 at 11:05 pm

such an inspiring story and she does indeed look happy

• BabyDee January 6, 2014 at 2:56 am

So where is the Leah’s comment now? BN and all this nonsense filtering.

-BabyDee

• Stephanie January 6, 2014 at 5:02 am

Love you Mercy
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

• Dammy January 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Am inspired…..thanks Merciful Mercy Johnson

• frances January 7, 2014 at 12:59 am

This was inspiring. More grease to ur elbow Mercy.

• idara January 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

@leah it’s either u are tonto or mj’s hubby’s ex wife

• zainab January 23, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Ability to act is now based on body parts? Okay o, it’s good! There’s a hausa proverb which says ‘the same broom used to flog the 1st wife is the same that will be used on the 2nd wife…’ I rest my case; no judgements passed but whatsoever a man sows, that he must reap.

• jummai January 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Mercy Johnson is a matured lady, and i really love that.

• Pat February 1, 2014 at 7:56 am

Naija! Wanna act?…let,s see ur body. Lol! Tht,s why she still juggles her breasts in movies?!

• Ono M Daniel March 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Firstly,

In my person opinion , mercy johnson was not from a poor Home, the stories about the uncompleted buliding could have stemmed from after her father retired from the navy, but i know for a fact that her upbringing was not as bad as she is portraying it.
    my point is that not everybody started out poor, so why not appreciate God for where you left off and where u are, no need for the lizard and plywood stories…