Lupita Nyong'o - Essence Magazine - February 2014 - BellaNaija 03

Congratulations to Lupita Nyong’o who is now a front runner for the Oscars.

The 12 Years a Slave actress picked up the award for Best Supporting Actress on Saturday 18th January 2014 at the Screen Actors Guild Awards in California, USA.

The Kenyan actress beat Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey and Jennifer Lawrence for the award.

She gave a sweet and emotional acceptance speech. Watch!

Full List of Winners!

Actress – Comedy Series
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep – WINNER

Congrats to all the winners.
Photo Credit: Zimbio

62 Comments on Lupita Nyong’o WINS Best Supporting Actress at the 2014 SAG Awards | Watch her Emotional Acceptance Speech
  • Donald-Landon January 19, 2014 at 7:10 am

Lupita keeps slaying it for the gods. You go girl and keep shining.

• Sexxie January 19, 2014 at 7:21 am

Awwww! That speech. Tears. “Dad do you know Brad Pitt?…cute. I am happy she got the job too. Congrats to her!

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 19, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Her dad’s response was the best. Very “African Parent-like”. Congrats to Lupita, this formal recognition of her performance by fellow (& veteran) peers in the industry is a big deal.

• LoL January 19, 2014 at 7:25 am

Everybody loves Queen Lupita!!

• Grown Woman January 19, 2014 at 7:25 am

Cograts girl…..next up the Oscars yey

• Me January 19, 2014 at 7:27 am

Feel so proud of her right now.

• SS January 19, 2014 at 7:36 am

lapita again…………sky is definately the limit…………congrat,by the way she looks stunning

• philip January 19, 2014 at 7:42 am

OMG! im super proud of her. she is super awesome. I pray she wins the Oscar.

• wendu January 19, 2014 at 7:45 am

beautiful speech

• Cancel Reply January 19, 2014 at 7:45 am

See how the event took place tonight and you have borrowed pictures to put up here. If na Naija event, except for instagram and twiter pics, y’all wont post pictures for days or weeks sef!

• Ruby January 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm

How is that Bella’s fault? Isnt that because the people organising those events don’te release photos on time? can Bella be everywhere? Look, enjoy the news and keep quiet. If you dont like it then go to another site! Psheeew! And no I dont work for Bella. I’m a viewer just like you, but you pple complain too much jor!

• Iris January 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Jesus! The things that people can find fault with sha…

• Bossom January 19, 2014 at 7:49 am

Chic’s eloquence is the sh*t. Go on wit ur bad*ss Lupita.

• Bossom January 19, 2014 at 7:55 am

That award’s butt tho. Lol

• oola January 19, 2014 at 7:57 am

WOW! Lupita Nyong’o… Na u Biko! …Whoop-Whoop!

• ILoveGenevieve January 19, 2014 at 8:05 am

So sweet. I wish she’ll win the Oscars ….and use her influence to help shape the Kenyan film industry. Don’t wait for Hollywood girl. Create jobs for yourself after this.

• oola January 19, 2014 at 8:06 am

Good Speech…Wa Gbayi!

• SS January 19, 2014 at 8:11 am

i say again……..black is indeed beautiful……..so sleek

• Sexxie January 19, 2014 at 8:11 am

Kai! Jared Leto is too fine!!! <3<3. What a triumphant way to come back! Glad his career's back on track.

• Busarni January 19, 2014 at 8:42 am

when will our own nollywood stars get to this stage. No, they will rather upload pictures of their trips/vacations, gadgets etc. They should improve abeg, we now know who the real super actress in Africa; charlize thereon too. Hahahaha.

• goldfinch January 19, 2014 at 10:04 am

Lupita probably glued/fixed some hair on her head because I don’t think her hair grew that fast from the last time we saw her. Her hair stylist is a genius.
    Congrats to her, she looks stunning.

• Seriously January 19, 2014 at 10:38 am

I was thinking the same thing, her stylist is genius.. He uses weaves that look a lot like her hair..

• Xtsy January 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Whats his name pls, need to e- stalk him

• Buki Oni January 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

She could have achieved that length with threading. Threading is super good for strecthing hair even if it’s short. To go back to her shorter length all she has to do is wash her hair and let it shrink. That’s what I did when my hair was super short.

• chi-e-z January 20, 2014 at 5:33 pm

na she just blew it out. I have an afro and if I just wash
      it and rub cream it is as short as Lupita’s blow out and if I
      blow/stretch mine out it is fuller than shaft’s fro (looks like
      celia cruz with a fro)

• Okechukwu Ofili January 19, 2014 at 10:30 am

they disabled that link, try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxc0j-PjFw

• zeenie January 19, 2014 at 11:23 am

you just have to love Lupita!!!…

• Editrix January 19, 2014 at 11:56 am

This girl came to kill/slay/exterminate etc. and that Gucci dress is my oxygen tank. Life for days!!!

• Editrix January 19, 2014 at 11:57 am

*Exterminate

• Vee January 19, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Great speech; sensitive, full of humor and respectful. And the hair, it may or may not be a weave cos afro hair shrinks, they may have stretch it for a fuller look. Check out my thots on ’12 Years a Slave’
    veronicankwocha.com/2014/01/11/my-thoughts-on-12-years-a-slave/

• Laide January 19, 2014 at 2:28 pm

And why must she have a fuller look?

• Vee January 19, 2014 at 4:21 pm

On my original comment, she ‘…may have stretched her own hair for a fuller look’ I meant to say.
        @Laide, ‘must’? She just can if she wants to.

• Vee January 19, 2014 at 4:22 pm

@Laide, ‘must’? She just can if she wants to.

• Anon January 19, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The turquoise (?) dress just brings out her beautiful skin colour.

There’s something remotely sexy about Michael Douglas especially in this picture.

Come Oscar time, the winners may change.

• sassycassie January 19, 2014 at 6:09 pm

lol. thought i was the only one that noticed the aging lothario that is Michael Douglas

• Laide January 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I am not sure i understand what the hype about Lupita is…watched the movie before going to bed, and I think her performance was not special. Or maybe I was too sleepy, might watch again

• abi January 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Are you the one giving out the award?

Your opinion is not relevant. She was brilliant though her role wasn’t long but it was DEEP (same with many of the nominees anyway)

All she do is win win win no matter what.

• Laide January 20, 2014 at 1:52 am

Neither is yours relevant…but u gave it anyways!

• bebe January 19, 2014 at 7:02 pm

my dear.. same thing here. I guess I should have watched the movie before all the hype.
      She had just one major scene(the one about the soap) and yes she was good but I still don’t get the hype. I mean I love her cos I watched the Kenyan Shuga series. I just concluded that its her time to shine and she was in the right movie at the right time and put in a good performance.
      Chiwetel did an amazing job though. I get the hype around him.

• ILoveGenevieve January 19, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Right movie at the right time with the right producers and directors Bebe ….exactly what Hollywood and Oscars is all about. Naomie Harris in Mandela gave a stronger performance ….she happens to have been at the wrong movie at the wrong time.

• Jane public January 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm

@ILoveGenevieve, you know what they say about people who instead of appreciating someone elese’s hard work chuck it up all under right place, right time, luck this and that. You know the word for them. LOSERS. Losers always find other excuses why someone is successful to make themselves feel better about their crappy achievements. For someone who said in an earlier comment about working in Hollywood for years and you left because you were msierable, you sound bitter dear. What happened? Couldn’t you find the right place, right time, right movie, right producer. You just couldn’t cut it in Hollywood, simple as that. I see people like you in life everyday. The bitterness is oozing out of the screen. Don’t hate girl, appreciate. You also wrote once that you don’t see anything special is what she did, Genevieve could have played that role too. I laughed so hard that day my tummy hurt. Sure she could have, I guess she hasn’t found the right place, right time, right producer right? The mantra of losers. You want to progress in life, drop the chip on your shoulder and quit the losers club while you are at it. Lupita has done very well for herself. Her very first major role in a feature film. Eat your heart out. Just watch as she goes higher and higher. Right place, right time my foot. Try going to Yale first and lets see. Oh, I forgot you are anti college too. Full Losers badge for you right there. Shior

• ILoveGenevieve January 21, 2014 at 12:56 am

You found it laughable that I said Genevieve could play Lupita’s role? Well, three are two things I find laughable. Your gut feeling I’m discrediting Lupita, my being anti-eduction and find the highly possible laughable. First of, Lupita is a case of talent meet rare opportunity ….its not me hating her its a statement of fact. Harris was truly remarkable in her Mandela role, but guess what? She played a brave black woman. It might take a decade or more for Hollywood to put a strong black female character ahead of a slave begging another slave to end her life or weak black women. Its not Lupita I loathe ….its them! Hollywood. The streets are paved with racism. Black women are ever below the food chain, sadly. Most black actresses that have gotten award love portray weak or mean women. You laughed at Genevieve playing Lupita’s role? I laugh at your laughter. However, I’d bet on my life if she had the role she will get equal buzz. And I also mentioned names along with Genny’s didnt I? Why is it about her? And who said I was anti-education? You come across like you know my journey or present situation while in fact you don’t

• ILoveGenevieve January 21, 2014 at 1:11 am

You found it laughable that I said Genevieve could play Lupita’s role? Well, there are three things I find laughable. Your gut feeling I’m discrediting Lupita, my being anti-eduction and finding the highly possible laughable. First of, Lupita is a case of talent meet rare opportunity ….its not me hating her its a statement of fact. Harris was truly remarkable in her Mandela role, but guess what? She played a brave black woman. It might take a decade or more for Hollywood to put a strong black female character ahead of a slave begging another slave to end her life or weak black women. Its not Lupita I loathe ….its them! Hollywood. The streets are paved with racism. Black women are ever below the food chain, sadly. Most black actresses that have gotten award love portray weak or mean women. You laughed at Genevieve playing Lupita’s role? I laugh at your laughter. However, I’d bet on my life if she had the role she will get equal buzz. And I also mentioned names along with Genny’s didnt I? Why is it about her? And who said I was anti-education? You come across like you know my journey or present situation while in fact you don’t. However, my opinion on Yale and other drama schools remains. Talents can be harnessed outside drama school. Go ask Bradley Cooper the drama school he went to. Ask Tom Cruise as well. They will go down history books before the most drama school guys. Ain’t no looser talk about that ….raw facts is the bitch here.

• Omalicha January 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Goodness! That speech was immaculate!

• RASHIDAT January 19, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Deserving winners and congrats to them. Lupita, you go girl. Love the last part, sounds like something my Mom/Dad would have said to me. This is just the beginning for you, dahling. Keep on.

• omoibo January 19, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Great speech filled with humility, listening to the speech gave me goosebumps and you could definitely hear the sincerity in her voice. Thank you for making Africa proud, we celebrate you and wish you continued success :-D

• ij January 19, 2014 at 4:34 pm

ty burrell hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward… January 19, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I know! That was nice that he got a nod, I think his character in Modern Family is hilarious. And speaking of actors in sitcoms, I’m super impressed at how Bryan Cranston transitioned from playing a corny dad in “Malcolm in the Middle” to his current role in “Breaking Bad”, plus a couple of noteworthy movie appearances in between. Definitely a lot of hard work put into his craft and the ability to stay relevant.

• damndi January 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Thats my girl!!!!! soo happy for you… congratulations… keep it going… your an inspiration.

• Temtem January 19, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Oh love her…She’s definitely taking home the Oscars! Oh yes the SAG always gets it right! My fav actors and actresses were recognized…Helen Mirren, Cate Blanchett…YES! Ohhhhh breaking bad!!!
    For an outstanding cast, ok American Hustle deserved it cos acting was great but plot was horrible!!!!!!

• BA January 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Ah… the afro is messing with my mind. Her hair was really cut really short in pictures before this event. Some comments here shed some light though – stretching, gluing hair etc. and great great speech. Go Lupi! yes, that’s what I call her.

• BA January 19, 2014 at 8:36 pm

and Jared Leto! Be blessed with more fineness, brother.
    Saw some pictures of him and Lupita together – about three photos of them on twitter, too beautiful. You know where I are getting with this… hmmmn

• Someone January 19, 2014 at 9:18 pm

When it is your turn to collect your “Osusu” no one can stop it. All the actors in the movie “12 Years A Slave” did a great job. I enjoyed the movie.

• solar January 19, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Yaaayyy. Big congrats to her. I’m soo excited for her

• Xtsy January 19, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Lupi can do no wrong
    BN hv u ever done a post on Adepero Oduye?

• bebe January 19, 2014 at 11:53 pm

oh wow! so that babe’s name is Pero? I loved her acting in 12yrs a slave and thought she did… *never mind*. awww Nigerians doing us proud (Yup! claiming mode activated -__-)

• NNENNE January 20, 2014 at 2:00 am

Congratulations my fellow African sister!

• 2X January 20, 2014 at 2:13 am

I love her eloquence under such amazing pressure

• Leah January 20, 2014 at 2:27 am

I just love everything about her. Loved the speech, gorgeous dress.

• uju January 20, 2014 at 12:38 pm

mehn was looking at that hair like it was rocket science…buh i think i get it now,great stylist. Congrats Lupita!!!

• kim January 20, 2014 at 12:45 pm

@laide, no matter d gud things pple do, some will still hate and it includes u(HATER!) Guess ull never get to her level so continue to drink panadol while she’s making money.

• Nadz January 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

first time I’ve heard her voice, she sounds lovely and she has flawless skin