Loud Thinker: Put the Phone Down & Enjoy Your Party!

Do people enjoy events anymore nowadays? I ask this question because it seems that we have the mentality of “if it is not on social media then it did not happen”. Whatever happened to our own memory? This is a topic that I always find myself having with my Snapchat addict friends.

Let’s look at this scenario: we go out to a party and we take 2, 4, 6 pictures as a group. No problem. Then the Snapchat frenzy starts. Whenever the DJ drops a hit that we all love, instead of turning up, the phone comes on and then it becomes about recording a video that I guess will disappear after a while (I am not sure. I no get Snapchat). So then I begin to wonder at the end of the night if they had fun or will their story on Snapchat show them that they had a good time? Then what annoys me the most is when someone sends me a message the next morning saying, “I saw you getting turned up last night on Snap”. This almost always happens especially when my plan is to have a low-key night.

A few years ago I went on vacation with a couple of friends. Let’s call them Titi and Sha. It was a last minute weekend trip and we had little time to make the best of it. It happened to be my first time to go on vacation with these girls, but I was very hopeful because we have been wanting to take a trip together for a long time. After going back and forth on what to do first when we arrived, we decided to just go out to eat. I am a great observer and I noticed that Titi and I had the same thoughts when it came to taking pictures and social media. We were more concerned with having a great time and making the best of the trip. We were less concerned with flooding timelines and a catchy hashtag. Sha on the other hand won’t let us take a casual stroll without at least taking 50 pictures. And I am sure we all have those friends that ask you to take their pictures in an authoritative way as if you were working for them. Then the little comments like “are you taking a full picture?” “make sure the background is showing” “you are too far. come closer” “ok take another one. you know I have a hard time choosing” “just keep taking the picture even when I am moving”. I mean she had me wondering how much I get paid an hour. Then the worst is when I asked her to take my picture. First she only took about three and then the quality was just. All of this makes me wonder if people just do things for the ‘gram or show off for snapchat. People will spend a lot of money, take a vacation to an exotic location just to spend every second posting about it.

A friend told me to download snapchat a few days ago. I told him that I am not a huge fan of social media. I already have a hard time posting videos on Instagram. He told me I need to show more of my life and I told him that is the exact reason why I do not have Snapchat. I like to have a little mystery in my life and personally, sharing videos of my life doesn’t entice me. At the moment, I am in the process of trying to delete anything that comes up after I Google my name that might hurt my professional career (this is a topic for another day). I think at the moment, Instagram is all I can handle when it comes to social media. More power to the people that can handle Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and whatever else.

If you happen to be someone who constantly posts about an event while at that event, I will suggest you reduce how much you post for a few reasons.

1. Your followers most likely get annoyed with you flooding about the same thing.
  2. Are you really having fun? If you are you wouldn’t be having so much time for social media.
  3. Don’t post your entire life. Leave some mystery.

I don’t know what the right amount of post should be for an event but I am sure you are aware if you post too much. Not everything we do in our lives deserve to be shared with our followers. When out, put the phone down and actually enjoy your time out. Trust me you will remember the event whether it is on social media or not. Take pictures for your own memory but most importantly enjoy your time. If you must post, then wait till the next day and post your favorite moments.

What does my BN family think?

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

19 Comments on Loud Thinker: Put the Phone Down & Enjoy Your Party!
  • Teezy Lake January 25, 2016 at 3:44 pm

Spot on ! But the ‘Everything on fleek’ gang won’t listen. IMO

• bijouxthisbijouthat January 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm

This right here was the topic of discussion between a friend and i at a party on Saturday. I think its a case of narcissist behavior. At that party,nobody was talking to each other! Everyone was on their iphone oblivious to the party atmosphere around them.
    The only time they showed any sign of interest was take a snap or pictures for instagram.
    It was that bad and annoying.
    I have seen families out at a restaurant and everyone from the parents to the kids were on one electronic gadgets or the other- its just sad.People dont have quality conversations and spend quality time anymore..
    And yes we all have that friend who is always about the gram and everything.

• @edDREAMZ January 25, 2016 at 4:01 pm

The only reason am taking my phone to an event is to check update on livescore and reason being that i just BET on NairaBet…..

• Ada Ada January 25, 2016 at 4:05 pm

People have too much time o! What is chap snat or did you say snapchat? I know I downloaded Instagram on my devices and actually set up an account but that’s all I remember. Twitter nko? I downloaded but didn’t bother to sign on. Facebook is all I can handle now and I’m contemplating deactivating my account because it’s beginning to take too much of my time.
    Whatsapp and BBM??? Let’s just say putting away the phone and giving my undivided attention when in company is a work in progress. I’ll get there. *shining teeth*

• Jagbajantis January 25, 2016 at 4:10 pm

The worst are those who do so at weddings especially when the couple are dancing into the reception hall, or are doing their couples dance. They ruin the experience for everyone trying to catch a glimpse of the couple from a sitting position.

Now some “unsolicited” photographers have joined them. These paparazzi who are not even the photographers officially employed by the wedding planner to take photos of the event, form a nuisance twisting and turning to take as many shots as possible at the church, then return with the photographs and negatives and demand payment from those in the shots.

Some even insert the photos in a cheap-looking frame, and demand a king’s ransom for them. Some even threaten to display your pictures in the front glass of their lab in Mushin if you refuse to pay for them. You would see them walking around the reception trying to match the faces on the photographs to individuals, sometimes stepping over people or squeezing between tables. Thereby affecting MY enjoyment of the party.

A really overzealous one toppled over the wedding cake in an attempt to extract payment from the narcissistic best man. The mother of the bride went HAM on him. #TOTOGRAPHERGETSLYNCHED

• Ariens January 25, 2016 at 4:54 pm

I’m with the Writer on this one. I can’t even tame my Facebook acc, let alone Instagram: And u expect me to add Twitter and Snap chat?? No Thanks! (Lol)

I font know how people do it; having nf handling 3 andf above social media Accounts, with ease, no less.

These tools were made to connect and reconnect us to people and our world but itit so seems they are running our lives crazy. Its always sad to go to a picnic and social event and everyone is absent minded and glued to their smartphone screens.

My friend just got back from holiday in China and I asked her how it went, she couldn’t even say much about the trip as she hardly really connect with anyone or saw anything beyond the lens of her iPhone cam. She was too busy taking selfies and over loading her instragram with it. For me tho. That was a trip wasted.

There is a serious Social media technology overload and people really need to earness the habit of Decluttering it. Less is more in this game or we risk having Face to face conversation will become obsolete.

• Lola January 25, 2016 at 5:00 pm

But who mystery don epp. Lol

• beauty January 25, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Naa, Nigerians don’t enjoy events, don’t mourn at funerals, don’t help victims of an accident or incident, instead their phones are their bliss and social media platforms are their heavens

• Lola January 25, 2016 at 5:06 pm

On a more serious note tho. This social media thing is becoming too serious nowadays. People pretend, like pictures lie..and these things causes people to ‘fake’ what they are not, just to for into society. Like people do not even have self esteem anymore if they do not get a particular number of likes on Instagram or if they do not get retweeted of one of those things. Every once in a while we need to actually put our phones down and ‘live’ be present and enjoy the moment. However, there may be people out there who do not mind sharing moments and probably are not bothered about self esteem and what not, but it could pass the wrong message to others. People should just learn to be their self and do whatever rocks their boat. *flicks weave, drops mic*

• bijouxthisbijouthat January 25, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Yup Lola is that bad. People actually rate how important someone is based on the likes the person has on his or her pictures. Like if you have below 200likes on a picture,you are not considered human enough! My GOD!! When did we become this vain? Its pathetic.
      And on twitter,some people would start insulting you based on your followers…
      I have come to realize that these instagram and twitter champions in real life are actually no bodies’ outside of that sphere… There a lot of sad pathetic people out there

• Lola January 25, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Nice article by the way

• Loud Thinker January 25, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

• Tumz January 25, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Your article is spot on…last I checked when I am having an amazing time I barely remember to even pull out my phone…I hate the whole I saw you on A’s snap..

• miss Pynk January 25, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Its the people who insist on posting pictures of couples all over social media before the event even starts. At my wedding it go to a point where we had to announce to the guests that there was only one photographer and to allow him do his job. I never understand that- folks don’t know how to enjoy themselves anymore.

• Cindy January 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm

But enjoying a party and taking pictures are not mutually exclusive na. Please live and let live joor.

• tamy January 25, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Seriously d world is changing,nw adays if u tell a story and say u did dis n dt or went to dis n dat place people wud b lyk ‘can we see d pictures’? Lyk must I snap evrywhere I go? D annoying one is at weddings,dey keep blocking d couple n we don’t get to see what’s rly goin on,sriously thnking of how to stop all guests frm using their phones at my wedding,for christ sake dere r usually atlst 2 photographers with cameras who r dere for dt,sit n enjoy d wedding. Den frnds asking me to snap,i thnk i’ll start charging dem

• Honeycrown January 26, 2016 at 2:24 am

I enjoyed the article. I used to love taking pictures till I noticed people were going on a binge with it. My brothers wife is a repeat offender in this picture taking palava. The annoying part is that, she will post “gen gen” pics of herself and not care what the other people in the picture look like. She would post & tag you with open mouth & half closed eyes like a person high on drugs. In the past, I’ve had her take down some of my pictures.
    Right now, I’m no longer active on social media (at least 4 years) The only place I have an account is Twitter and I don’t remember my username or go there anymore. I visit IG for “surveillance” on “celebs” as long as the person’s account isn’t blocked. I have Whats App if that counts and I update my picture like once in 2 months. These days, pictures have become a façade that most people use to mask their reality.

• red pill male January 26, 2016 at 6:32 am

Humans are narcissists. It isn’t just a Nigerian thing. Some people are just more narcissistic than others. One thing that amuses me is the way people walk around with their phones in their hands. Can you put your phone in your pocket/hand bag please? Or are you frightened that you will be put in the wrong social class because we didn’t see you have an iPhone?

• mr man January 27, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I think people try to make their lives appear better than they actually are. Like they could disappear into the illusion they create and make everyone else just a lil green with envy.
    Well mannered, socially cultured and more professional young people are not like that. Among the people I end up attending a lot of events with, its an almost unspoken rule – “phones & gadgets away”, save for the odd group picture or 2.
    Change your company…