Ayo Van Elmar

On episode 5 of Eat Right Africa, Designer/Nutritionist Ayo Van Elmar shares tips on How to eat nuts for breakfast and how cashew nuts helps lower blood pressure, decrease hunger and gives good fat.

This episode also shows you how to make a quick healthy breakfast that won’t take more than five minutes of you time, and how to fuse more nuts into it.

Watch below.

10 Comments on Do You Know that Cashew Nuts Lower Blood Pressure & Decrease Hunger? Watch Episode 5 of “Eat Right Africa”
  • Jagbajantis March 30, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Great tips. Cashew nuts are a healthy nut, but for me they are bit calorie dense. Thats the same problem I have with macadamia nuts an even more calorific nut.

30g of cashew nuts (roasted and unsalted only) is just under 180 calories, but what they dont tell you is that 30g is just a tiny handful. If you are not disciplined, or are raiding the cashew nut tin after hunger has malo-ed you, you could easily derail your diet.

Like Ayo suggests, it is a good idea to combine it with some fruit. But rather than the orange there, I would have a boiled egg instead which is about 75 calories for a large brown one. Boiled eggs fill up the stomach and are a reliable protein source.

Nice article Ayo! Keep them coming. Please we need something geared at menfolk struggling with guts (known in Igbo parlance as afo uku)

• Bamidele March 30, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Cashew nuts are yummy. True… When I start, I just can’t stop but the combo with fruits and yoghurt is definitely worth trying.

• Ajibola March 31, 2016 at 7:49 am

Well done Ayo! Great job, keep them coming!
    Health is a serious matter, especially here in Lagos, the rate of obesity is staggering. I’m a health professional myself and it seems people just aren’t informed.

• Ogoh March 31, 2016 at 8:46 am

They say a protruding belly is the evidence of good living. …Mschew….everything is upside down in our Africa

• tunmi March 31, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Good work Ayo, keep it coming. Ohhhhhh Naija should have its own trail mix snack company.

• Counting calories is my work April 1, 2016 at 2:54 am

They do, I Can’t remember what it’s called now but I’ve seen it at the supermarket on Cameron road Ikoyi Lagos and they also have a Nigerian brand rice cakes (just putting that out there)

• Counting calories is my work April 1, 2016 at 2:48 am

You say cashew nuts , I say almond nuts.

• Abike April 1, 2016 at 11:18 am

@counting calories is my work: Cashew nuts are everywhere in the Lagos traffic. Where do I get almond nuts as a Lagosian? And why Almond nuts? I agree with Ayo at least for Lagos people.

• Counting calories is my work April 1, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Hey abike,
      *** BOTH have the same calories but Different fibre content which is important (portion control) so Let say 1-ounce serving of almonds equals about 22 whole kernels and has 170 calories, WHILE the same portion of cashews consists of about 18 nuts and contains 163 calories. same amount of protein, but almonds have more fibre ( which keeps you fuller, hereby suppressing your appetite)
      *** both contain unsaturated fats good for improving the heart health However the fat content favors almonds more.
      ***The recommend daily intake In Almonds provides a good amount of vitamin E, calcium, zinc, vitamin K UNLIKE cashews.
      *** BOTH contain iron, magnesium, niacin, folate, and vitamin B6. if you are watching your heart health, diabetes, or you have high cholesterol stick to almonds. Although you can still enjoy cashews, but almonds are much better for you.
      *** the total saturated fat of cashews is higher and they are also high in sodium WHILE almonds don’t have sodium. Cashews are also high in sugars with bout seven grams, while almonds only have four grams.
      Where you can purchase: spar, shoprite and the supermarket on Cameron road Ikoyi, They usually stock it.

• Asha of Shasha April 1, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Counting calories is my work… Thank you o! Very detailed explanation. Though for us on the mainland cashew is easy to buy sha. This food business na serious matter o. Well done Ayo! Keep us enlightened.