Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Surprisingly Unsurprised

When you’ve had a really restful and somewhat exciting weekend, it would be in very bad taste to moan about the arrival of Monday. Last night was an absolute blast! Ladies and gentlemen, Omawumi’s “Lasso of Truth” concert was fantastic! In the Rubbin’ Minds interview with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, she promised that the audience would feel a myriad of emotions and she did not lie. I was screaming in excitement when she performed with 2Face Idibia, I was awwing when she did the song dedicated to her Mom. I think I felt my heart beat twice as fast when she brought up the writer and composer of “Bottom Belle”, an 83 year old man she found in Enugu and when she did the “No Woman, No Cry” with Tiwa Savage, Seyi Shay and Waje… I was simply speechless. Suffice it to say that you need to go and buy the Lasso of Truth album. It’s on iTunes. Honestly, I love and respect Omawumi’s hard work and she put up a fantastic event last night.

Sometime during the show, she stepped to the back of the stage and said “make I see if my surprise don ready” and then a few minutes later, Onyeka Onwenu came on stage and performed her song “Ekwe” along with Omawumi. It wasn’t really a surprise actually. Onyeka’s name was on the line up and by the time the dancers came on stage, their costumes were an indication of the song that was about to be performed. Surprises can be really good and exciting when they’re executed well. We see pictures of surprise birthday parties, surprise engagement parties, surprise baby showers & surprise bridal showers.

The idea of surprises, as the name goes is that the “surprisee” is completely unaware of what is about to go down. Sometimes it works out perfectly and sometimes it goes unbelievably awry! Some people are not fans of surprises so they tell you outrightly, please don’t plan any surprise for me. When we were busy planning my friend’s bridal shower a few years ago, she pulled another friend aside and said “please if you people are planning any surprise, tell me so I can at least dress fine!”.

On a baby shower group convened for a friend, the party planner had reeled out a list of things she had put in place for the surprise party. We were to contribute a certain amount of money, the date had been chosen, venue chosen (the home of the expecting mother) and other ancillary details were issued out.  The plan had been made for the expecting mother to be taken out of her house for a night of pampering with some friends and then, someone in the group said “Oh! B was talking about the baby shower last week. She knows you guys are planning a shower”. It was almost hilarious at that point. Essentially, the essece of the surprise was nullified. I knew the “surprisee” found out about the shower weeks ago but it wouldn’t do to hurt the feelings of the Shower Planner. She had already been told to rehearse her surprise look when she gets to the venue of the shower. So upon the revelation that there was no more surprise, I asked “Can we bring her in now to have her input into what she’d ACTUALLY like?”

Some people find surprises really cute. I mean, after I recovered from my almost-coronary when the BN team orchestrated the recent surprise, I thought it was an absolutely beautiful thing to that was done.  My friend, who got married on Saturday was proposed to at the cinema and she was absolutely surprised when her face came up on the big screen!

I hope you guys have a beautiful week ahead, filled with pleasant surprises. Don’t forget to share your thoughts on surprises. Do you like them? Do you think they have a tendency to go wrong and would rather do without them.

Stay safe, be happy, be strong and don’t forget to buy Omawumi’s Lasso of Truth!

Love, Peace & Cupcakes!

Toodles!

Photo Credit: allianz-ent.com

1. Grace Tsumbu

April 8, 2013 at 10:24 am

I love surprises tooooooo 🙂 gracistsumbuli.wordpress.com

2. Bleed blue

April 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

Atoke you always make me smile!

3. Bibi

April 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Atoke can we meet you? As in, see a pix of u? Ok bye…..

4. eniola

April 8, 2013 at 11:00 am

LOVE ME MORE OF ATOKE’S WRITE -UPS TOO. MWUUUAAAAH! MY 22ND BDAE WASNT MUCH OF A SURPRISE BUT CAN BE CATEGORIZED SO, COS TWAS UNPLANNED. I HAD TOLD A LIE TO SOMEONE I DIDN’T LIKE THAT I COULDN’T SEE HIM COS IT’S MY BDAE AND MY FRIENDS WERE WITH ME, HE ASKED WHAT WE WERE DOING AND I SAID NOTHING AT THE MOMENT JUST GISTING AND THINKING OF WHAT TO DO FOR THE DAY, NEXT THING I HEARD, ”LIKE HOW MANY OF THEM? I SAID 15.” HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS COME OVER TO MINE AND I’LL HAVE MY COOK ARRANGE BARBEQUE AND SMALL CHOPS, I HAVE ENOUGH DRINKS” YEEEEE! I WAS DUMB FOR ABOUT 5 SECS. THEN I SAID OKAY, LEMME CALL U BACK. I SCREAMED AFTER I ENDED THE CALL COS DERE WAS NOBODY WITH ME RIGHT THEN, SHARPERLY, I COMPOSED BC, MADE CALLS AND IN NO TIME, WE WERE THERE AND TRUST ME, WE HAD A NICE TIME.

• asgrl

April 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm

abolounjeku….FFF….Friend for food LOL

5. BIG UP YOUR LIFE -www.anemistyle.com

April 8, 2013 at 11:03 am

Surprises are great and I love them, however the curioisity cat me always sniffs something out and investigates thereby ruining the surprise.

6. Blossom

April 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

Salewa’s proposal 🙂

7. Gabby

April 8, 2013 at 11:20 am

aww i always look foward to Atoke’s morning banter bless ya.I had a surprise visit from my boyfriend ths past weekend just flew in for 2 days! so i love surprises anyday.

8. mama

April 8, 2013 at 11:22 am

i don’t know, surprise don’t really get me. am still looking for that something that will bring out the “surprise” in me.

9. Sarah

April 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

My boyfriend is the king of surprises. He would ask me to make his bed and when i do so there will be a box under the sheets. He takes me out to dinner and when we get back, there are roses and candles in my room. He calls me up and tells me he put money in my account so I should buy myself lunch in a nice restaurant. I am so used to his surprises and no two are the same so I am always surprised. Its so bad now that if he tells me to do something, I think there is a surprise waiting for me. I am waiting for him to propose cos I can imagine it would be grand.

• uby

April 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm

awwwn!!! how cute

• Oyinmomo

April 8, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Awww…I’m so green with envy

• T.baby

April 8, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Awww i wish you bfrnd is my fiance, i knw he has a surprice two weeks before the surprice shows up, i’ve never ben surpriced b4.

10. shaun

April 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

oh no! enola, you didn’t. i hope the dude reads this. you just should have turned down his offer. remember you don’t like him. newyaz, baidae parry don pass, you don chop the food and i’m sure the loo has had its fair share.

11. HRS

April 8, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I absolutely love pleasant surprises! 🙂

12. Gbemmy

April 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Suprises could be good if well executed but it could be so annoying when one I too know informs the person to be suprised… Some people need to read the meaning of surprise in the dictionary because you would tell them more than 10 times that it’s a surprise oooooo but they would still go ahead and call the person to be suprised asking foolish question like what do we wear for ur surprise shower or what time is the party ,after u v told them its a surprise ..

13. Tolani

April 8, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’m not a fan of surprises. But I’d really love to have a surprise birthday party, my birthday is 2 weeks from today 😉 I’ve given my friends hints of what I want; cake, pressie etc

14. jyde

April 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Everyone likes suprises,as long as they don’t start with….”Theres something ive got to tell you”.

15. mia

April 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm

My ex was a king of surprises. He would be waiting right in front of my office when i thought he was abroad. I would open my wardrobe only to see a basket of groceries waiting for me. The best was when my generator broke down and i was already thinking of how to survive the week without light, only for me to get home and find that he drove down two hours to service the gen and even filled the tank. i was thrilled! it was a pity we could not end u together. I’m all for surprises.

16. eniola

April 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

@asgrl LOOOOOL!!! I’m sure you wud hv come if i had invited u. *tongueout* @ shaun no mind me o. LoL. Didn’t have plans, so his proposal just came handy, plus we weren’t in Lagos where there are a million choices of places to hangout or chill.

17. Ebuka

April 8, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Pls let me correct evryone, d orignal bottom belle composer is an indigene of Owerr in Imo state nt Enugu. I knw d day Omawumi with her manager came visiting the man in his house b4 d concert..

18. adenike

April 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm

My fiance is the king of surprises despite knowing how much i detest surprises. I’m not a fan of surprises at all – it freaks me out and I’ve cried a couple of times.