Features

Eights ‘N’ Weights with Suzanne: To Get Those Abs, You Need More than Just Crunches

We all know someone who does the crunch routine: Wake up in the morning, do 100 crunches or sit-ups, and go on with the day. Or they might do this at night before bed if they are being a little adventurous. One year later, the crunch routine is still happening with little or no results.
Why, you ask? Because many of us are a little misinformed about how weight loss works. The body works a little differently, and I’ll explain how. To get abs, we all really need to consider three factors: cardio exercise, strength training, and a healthy diet. All three are necessary.

Strength training exercises (like crunches) help the muscles get more toned because of the stress they put on the muscles. However, doing crunches usually only works one part of your abs. It is necessary to introduce other types of strength training exercises to work out the entire core region and build strong abs in the process. Some of these exercises are planks, hip lifts, kick-outs, v-sits, etc.

However, guess what? Building muscle tone is great, but that muscle would never show up if you have fat on top of it like most people do. This is where cardio exercise and a healthy diet come in.

Cardio exercise helps you lose fat all over, including losing fat in your abdominal region. Unfortunately, the body was not built in a way where we can choose what part of the body we want to lose fat. However, if you focus on losing fat all over, your abs would be part of that “all over”.

Now, even with cardio exercise and strength training, if you are eating more calories than you are burning, you will not lose weight. And that includes weight in your abs. The body works like a machine, you put in calories, you burn calories. If you put in more calories than you burn, it will be stored as fat. This is why usually, with a bad diet, exercise alone is not enough.

While that is great information to start helping you in your journey towards building better abs, I know it is just the beginning and you need more. Check me out on one of my social media outlets below for more details as I talk more about losing weight, getting stronger, and eating healthier.

Suzanne Brume is a fitness blogger who strives to live a healthier lifestyle and help others do the same. She blogs consistently at Eights and Weights (www.eightsandweights.com), and gives tips and demonstrations on Twitter (@eightsnweights), Instagram (@eightsnweights), and Facebook (Eights and Weights). She is always open for fitness questions!

Suzanne Brume is a fitness blogger and yoga enthusiast who strives to live a healthier lifestyle and helps others do the same. She blogs consistently at Eights and Weights (www.eightsandweights.com), and gives tips and demonstrations on Twitter (@eightsnweights) and Instagram (@eightsnweights). She is always open for fitness questions!

1. FAR

December 14, 2013 at 11:37 am

Toooooo right!! It’s hard work but pays off because clothes hang better when you have a flat stomach!!

iamfar.com

• kilipot

December 14, 2013 at 11:52 am

Im telling u. I must have that flat belly “utunu”

2. #Godpleaseanswermyprayers#

December 14, 2013 at 11:49 am

am so happy for this post…………i need to get rid of
    my fat in my tummy

3. kilipot

December 14, 2013 at 11:50 am

Thankyou!!!! I joined about 4 weeks ago, and I am loving
    the experience. Thank God I took that step…losing weight is
    really hard. Working on going back to my 8 from a 10-12 and it
    feels like a big deal. I ll definitely check ur blog particularly
    for diet

4. ozyy

December 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm

tobore’s sister…hehehee

5. Titi

December 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm

To get a flat tummy, watch what you eat and for exercise try brisk walking. Do that for just 1 month and you’d see changes. Went from a waist size of 30 to 28!!!

6. Kyjuan

December 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I completely agree with the write up with the exception of
    the bit that says “if you are eating more calories than you are
    burning, you will not lose weight” & ” If you put in more
    calories than you burn, it will be stored as fat”. If your aim is
    to lose weight then yes…you definitely have to watch the calorie
    in (what/how much you eat) vs calorie out (How much you burn). But
    then again it isn’t so much about how much calories you put in as
    compared to what makes up the calories. Hence why you need to watch
    what makes up you calories. Normally to lose weight it should be
    less carbs and more protein & overall less calorie intake
    as a whole. Make no mistake…you cannot completely cut out carbs
    for the sake of losing weight; carbs is still needed. You just have
    to watch how much of it you take and the type of carbs. Secondly if
    your aim is to build lean muscle or bulk up you definitely need to
    eat more while you do your gym sessions. But again you need to
    watch what makes up the calorie increase i.e. it should again be
    less carbs and more protein, fibre etc. If you need more specific
    details….ping a reply on here…and i’ll be glad to
    respond.

• laureen

December 14, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I need to lose weight ooooo, I need a diet menu to help me, pls help…

• Kyjuan

December 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm

hi Laureen, For Diet…firstly cut down on your total daily
      calorie intake irrespective of what they comprise of. To help you
      might need to do a BMI calculation to help you know how much
      calories you need to cut off. Secondly, Ensure you take in more
      protein and less carbs. Good protein examples are Fish, eggs,
      skimmed milk, beans etc. For carbs e.g. potatoes and include veg in
      your diet as well. Stay away from processed food as much as you can
      and if you have to do cereal go for the ones richer in fiber e.g.
      Oats/porridge. Substitute vegetable oil with sunflower oil or in my
      personal opinion olive oil. If you have to eat bread go for the
      wholemeal options i.e. wheat and stay off the white ones. These are
      just examples of the changes you can make and not an extensive
      list. Its the slight changes like this that will make a difference
      diet wise. But remember it isn’t just diet only…this has to be
      combined with cardio and core exercises to get the desired result.
      To summarise: 1. Cut down your overall daily calorie intake 2.
      Whatever your “new” daily calorie intake comes down to after step 1
      should be more protein less carbs. 3. stay away from processed
      foods as much as possible (Bonus step: stay away from sugary drinks
      as much as possible e.g. soft drinks, juice etc….drink water
      mostly!) 4. Put a cardio & core exercise program together
      & ensure you’re disciplined enough to stick to it! 5. Do
      all the above and you should start seeing improvements within a
      month. (Note: Improvements…not your final desired result) 6. To
      maintain whatever result you get…you have to adopt all of the
      above as a lifestyle and not just a phase. That’s what keeps the
      healthy looking ones looking healthy all day all year. All the
      best! 🙂

• Angela

December 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Hi Laureen,
      Take a look at my website. This will certainly help. I have been on it since September and have lost over 20Ibs. Email me and I’ll send you some of my pictures. God bless.

• Rue

December 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Kyjuan, I’m pretty slim (5’7′ 130lbs) but lately have been gaining weight around my tummy area. I don’t want to work-out too hard because I’m not interested in losing weight. I could stand to gain about 5-10 more lbs. My question is how do I balance working out to tone up my body and gaining weight at the same time.

7. Chic

December 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I swim twice a week in addition to other cardio exercises
    never felt better!

• Chic

December 14, 2013 at 1:59 pm

and I lost an inch of my waist in one month drinking green
      tea daily…still drinking and still losing inches can’t wait for
      next summer to show it all off:)

8. Blacbeauty

December 14, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I thank God 4 my body. Am a mother,i eat lyk crazy bt my tummy is stl as flat as a wall n am a size 8.

• lorenz

December 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Lucky you.

• Bide

December 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm

you’re one lucky woman

9. Me

December 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Those pictures shows exercises that are good for the bum
    and spine, not the stomach area.