Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Three Orange Men

On Valentine’s day, I took my lonesome self to the cinema – for two reasons. The first reason was that I really needed to go for a run. The second reason was because Monuments Men was opening that night in my city. I figured, why not kill two birds with one stone. So, I pulled on my most comfortable pair of jeans, found my my sneakers and off I went. The euphoria of what I was actually doing (going to see a movie, ALONE, and the debut being on Val’s day) didn’t allow me realize that I’d forgotten my hooded fleece. By the time I got back upstairs, I remembered something, and then something else… next thing I was going to be late.

I sprinted to the cinema! First thing that set me off after all that running was the fact that there was a queue. Argh! I should have just done a brisk walk. I eventually consoled myself that the run meant I burned more calories and I could mess around with a Muller Corner later that night. Eventually, we got in and then it came… no, not a barrage of trailers… a barrage of commercials.

As I sat there, I wondered how many people actually got a telephone contract because 5 versions of Kevin Bacon said so. To my understanding, people paid for what they wanted because they either wanted it or because there was a bargain in there… somewhere; or for some other sentimental reason.

In what seems like a lifetime ago, my dad worked at Lever Brothers (I think they’re called Unilever now). As a result of that, we used only products from Lever Brothers – Lux, Sunlight, Blue Band, Close-up and so on. Imagine how we felt when with every commercial intermission during Checkmate or Behind The Clouds, one only wondered what Imperial Leather smelled like… or even Joy soap.

I couldn’t wait to leave home just so I could buy Imperial Leather soap. As I grew older, my purchasing decisions were often determined by my purchasing power. Other times, things I bought were based on having tested them at one friend’s place or the other. However, I don’t recall having bought anything based on adverts I have seen. For instance, I have used Clean & Clear Facial Scrub and Wash for over ten years… simply because one time I went for a sleepover and I used it. Nice. I found out that YemYem Stores stocked it and I’ve not looked back since then.

You see, I have always wondered about the wonders of advertising and the amount of money that is spent on brand promotion and development. With every episode of Mad Men that I have watched, my admiration for creatives in ad agencies has grown greatly. But, I wonder how much of these brilliant ads get converted into consumer purchase. Someone recently told me of how his roomie in Unilag suddenly started buying Delta soap because of the pretty babes that were used for the commercials. Another friend talked about how she was so enthralled by a Three Crowns Milk ad that she hopped to the shops the next day to buy it. Another friend said she’s really indifferent to ads. According to her “Except it’s funny or something, it doesn’t interest me.”

In Nigeria, we have a lot of not-so-intelligently retarded really conceptualized ads. Most of them are backed by companies with enough money to get them airtime. One wonders if they’re made based on an assumption that the IQ of the target audience is limited. Surely we’ve come a long way from the days of the adverts that are made with sing-song catchy themes. Remember the Premier Soap advert? ‘Premier the one soap – the two soaps in one soap – that’s Premierrrr.‘ This was an ad that ran from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Fast forward to 20 years later and we replaced the Premiere soap ad song with the Cowbell ad song. Or the Indomie one.. Bam bam la la… bam bam la la la Has anyone actually bought Honeywell noodles or wheatmeal because of those ads? I mean… really? Guys! Really?

Someone commented that the idea was to target children, who in turn implored their parents to buy. My response was “Children of today are enjoying oh! If I told my mother I wanted Pepsi because Wizkid and Tiwa Savage were on a billboard, I don’t think they’ll be able to pack my remnants from the ends of the earth with the kind of slap I’d get.” Another person said the ads are targeted at consumers in the rural areas and as a result they have to be as basic as possible and that resonated with me.

Anyway guys, please share some of your favourite ads with me. Do ads influence your purchasing in anyway? I think some ads are really cool and innovative. Remember when GT Bank was unveiling their Orange Cube logo… they had a nice campaign leading to the unveiling. Would you go to a certain fertility clinic because they have a really cool and innovative commercial on TV?
Let’s have some fun this morning.

Have a fantastic week ahead. Don’t let anybody put you down, or frustrate you. Live healthy, eat healthy and be happy. Please. Too many people are dying from undetected high blood pressure.

Special thanks to all the members of the TalkNaija crew who pitched in and contributed last night when I wondered if there was any viability to this random topic. Love you guys a whole lot!

Peace, love & cupcakes.

Toodles!

Commercials from the 80s

Some more commercials from the 80s

Commercials shown on ABC in the 90s

Ads from today

You probably wanna read a fancy bio? But first things first! Atoke published a book titled, +234 - An Awkward Guide to Being Nigerian. It's available on Amazon. ;)  Also available at Roving Heights bookstore. Okay, let's go on to the bio: With a Masters degree in Creative Writing from Swansea University, Atoke hopes to be known as more than just a retired foodie and a FitFam adherent. She can be reached for speechwriting, copywriting, letter writing, script writing, ghost writing  and book reviews by email – atokeoff[email protected]. She tweets with the handle @atoke_ | Check out her Instagram page @atoke_ and visit her website atoke.com for more information.

1. Neo

February 17, 2014 at 10:20 am

Why is the soap called “Imperial Leather” anyway? wetin consine soap consine leather? As a child i thought it was Lather as in soap lather and i thought it was just a case of how we pronounced it. fast forward Imperial Leather soap is still haunting from the office restroom.

Branding is important oh. Classic example. I saw a photoshoot for the 2014 Kardashian Kollection and fell in love with a dress modelled by Kim Kardashian. The day the collection launched on Lipsy i checked out the dress but the price humbled me, the next day i was in the “money aint nothing but a thang” mood so i went back to buy the dress. Lo and behold, it was sold out from size 6-14! In one day! I was curious and when i checked other dresses modelled by Kim it was the same. Those modelled by her sisters dont sell out as fast! Go figure!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 10:49 am

The same way I thought it was: “I pledge to Nigeria my Cornflakes”

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

That Kardashian Kollection was hosted by Dorothy Perkins last year for a while. Didn’t see a single reason to buy anything from it, based on the quality of material and style of clothes. Na just the name wey dem use dey sell am…

• Iris

February 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Exactly!

2. 1 + The One

February 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

First things first, alone on Valentine’s Day.. You mean Banky wasn’t around?!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:34 pm

You no see Banky and Andreas as dem dey do their “we’re just friends” routine on the post about Brandy’s show? Better is in store for Atoke, no worry, Mr. Wellington can like to continue in his indecisiveness regarding the women in his life…

3. mia

February 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

i can’t forget the MKO Abiola campaign advert. MKO, SDP, KINGibe- Action, Abiola, Abiola, Abiola- Progress…

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 10:44 am

You forgot: “Na him be the hope o for better tomorrowwww!”

• Sandra

February 17, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I am sorry but how old are you guys?LOL

• Annie

February 18, 2014 at 9:14 am

is it not SDP SDP SDP action, Abiola , Abiola, Abiola progress? anyway whatevr, i got biro and exercise book from that Abiolas campaign..heheheh..i was like 13 lols, oya go and enjoy the commercial osundefender.org/?p=104473

• Eve82

February 18, 2014 at 5:44 am

The days of SDP and NRC…lol!

4. my love

February 17, 2014 at 10:36 am

Adverts certainly do influence purchase. I remember i opened an account with BankPHB because of their very creative adverts back then.

5. Sere

February 17, 2014 at 10:37 am

“Guilty or not guilty?” from the mouth of the cutest tot ever “I plea guilty your honor but it was only for one day” said the offending mum “that’s enough to upset any baby”…. “case dismissed” toddler bangs the gavel. Vaseline, i can’t ever forget that ad. Anyway, i lusted over twirling ballerina barbie, cabbage patch kids and other toy ads i saw on bob tv as child, and o! i actually requested parle soda once to go with danish cookies one sunday afternoon after watching their commercial during ‘sunday rendezvous’ for the umpteenth time. “Are you sure you want it?” my aunt said ” can you drink it?” ofcourse i pretended to enjoy my long drawn out sips, and then poured the horrid drink down the sink when noone was looking. Many children are actually swayed by these ads but for adults hmmm….. it probably depends on the industry but i’m guessing the cosmetic industry ads make a difference. I dont see many adults being wooed over by telecom ads in particular. Why they choose to fork out crazy sums on celebrity endorsements believing that this translates into sales is beyond my comprehension. Its all good though that some people get to make big bucks from glo et al.

• Energybill

February 17, 2014 at 12:20 pm

“Guilty or not guilty?” from the mouth of the cutest tot ever “I plea guilty your honor but it was only for one day” Yep that got me too. And vaseline smelled so gorgeous back then

• Fifi

February 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm

R u sure it was vaseline not pears??

• Energybill

February 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm

lol. maybe.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Na Pears O

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Get up, get up its NESCAO time
      From Am to Pm
      NESCAO Time, NESCAO
      Is delicious (Hmmm Delicious)
      With Cocoa and Cereal, Milk and Sugar…

NESCAO, Chocomilo, Golden Morn
      Boys and Girls, Age 6 to 10.
      Its a chance to be a star.
      Can you play, an instrument… (papaprau)

The Mark of quality banking that stands for excellence in all things.
      That ECO Bank, That’s ECO Bank
      That’s ECO Bank, That’s Eco Bank

Maltina Moments
      Maltina to Share
      With those who love moments
      And enjoy it enough to share
      You can show them
      In a variety of ways
      A smile and maltina says it allll
      Show them that you care
      Show Much you care (2ce)
      Maltina…..
      Because you really care.

BN has made my day…..

• Atoke

February 17, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Loll You’re having wayyyy to much fun with this! Lol and to think I had zero optimism for this topic. Lol

• Colour Purple

June 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

when you’re having fun together, the sun and the sea together, music and lime together, lime and *lundi* drink together…all you need is to drink limca, limey and lemony limca etc…

First Bank e o! Una do well o! First Bank o! Una well done o! The bank whey dey helepu business for Nigeria don reach 100 years old! *repeat*

Mogbe oooooooooooo! 7UP! *enter fido dido*

Baco Super Sack, we no go gree, we no go gree o, we no go gree, Baco Super Sack we no go gree!

Planta ad, daewoo race ad, Goldspot the zing ting, Tandi Guranda…I didn’t write out most cause i was to young to learn d words properly so chewed mouth a lot but i’d never forget the melodies.

But that venus d’ milo ad though, i kept wishing that one day while rubbing my vaseline i’d be able to apply it with her finesse…lol!

• Eve82

February 18, 2014 at 5:47 am

Those were the days of Fortune.

• Pels

February 19, 2014 at 4:45 pm

“Parle Soda is so refreshing…Parle Soda is my kind of drink!” Hahaha

6. dami

February 17, 2014 at 10:39 am

My best advert ever is that indomie advert (where they sing to me, to you….., then boom sha sha mimi noodles, lol. The day my sister showed me sakas porting advert. I fell in love with that man lol.

• Her

February 17, 2014 at 11:51 am

There is a rumbling in my tommy going pumpadpumpdapoom, it means that i’m hungry, and Mimi time is here. i’m soo excited, and i can hardly wait, before the food is ready, i sing the mimi song. Break me, make me, anyway u want me, Mimi noodles mimi noodles, BOM SHA SHA MIMIIIIIII. LOL my baby sister made me love that ad, but i have ironically never eaten Mimi noodles.

• Nominee

February 17, 2014 at 1:17 pm

To me…. To you… Its up to us to make this world a better place. A place where we can love, where we can dance, where we can live together in peace and harmony. Its up to me… to you… its up to us to make this world a better place! That ad was great! I swear! It ran in 2007, the best indomie ad ever in my estimation and I still sing it. And Atoke guess what? That ad of 2007 is still working now in 2014 because everytime someone sings it or I sing it, another person says “I remember that song, what ad was that?” and I say indomie and the person remembers indomie. That’s called word of mouth advertising. Advertising isn’t a one off experience, a good ad can last for years even after it stops running.

Another advert that really made it for Guiness drinkers was “my friend Udeme is a great man…” for a long time, people were still calling Guiness stout Udeme increasing its popularity by far.

As for the pears advert “guilty or not guilty” I saw that ad as a child, I loved it and till date am using pear baby oil, I will the same on my kids and guess what they might use pears just because me Mum used it on them. Adverts are wonderful things they outlive their broadcast lives when they are really good.

Finally, when I went home for christmas (as is the eastern thing) I found that my Mum had bought honeywell noodles instead of the normal indomie noodles for her lazy city children who didn’t like to cook. I questioned her purchase and she told me she liked the radio advert bam ba la la… amazing right? Anyway a whole family of about 10 people had to eat honey well noodles instead of Indomie over a long period of time and guess what? At least two of us got converted.

Adverts are amazing marketing communications tools. Really amazing Atoke, of course its lost on some people but it causes a few people to try the product first and truly all they want from you is a first taste of the product, then its left to them to convince you!

7. Tee

February 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

I do not even know of any of these ads and i am in my mid twenties…lol although i still remember ‘children its breakfast time….breakfast time is planta time…planta’. Anyway my husband actually went out of his way to buy bam bam la la noodles honeywell. he wanted to know what the bam bam la la was about…. so i think this ad campaigns do work

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:39 pm

“… that rich and creamy planta taste, Planta!
      Mummy loves that planta taste, Planta!
      Now give us all that planta taste, Planta!
      Planta, that’s planta, for that [something-something-something-something]”

Hahahahaha!!! I may have forgotten most of the words but believe me, the tune is etched deep in my memory… 😀

• Dolapo

February 17, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I was hoping someone will remember planta. I don’t know if it’s the advert or planta was that amazing. I’m still hoping planta returns back into the market.

8. CarliforniaBawlar

February 17, 2014 at 10:52 am

Omo!!me sef gbadun Miller Corner…yum!!!
    Amongst other valid points, I’m enthralled by the intensity with which Americans advertise food!! Hian!! Every other ad is some restuarant, chips, chocolate, burger places and ‘and so on and so forth’ .and to make matters worse its always some lepacious person in the ad o ( i bet those chicks puke right after they shoot the videos sef)…. I think some of the commercials actually have reverse effects e.g. I actually cringed today after watching a tyson chicken ad!
    Oh and back to the topic of lepacious babes…a Victoria Secret ad came on tv on saturday…i usually tune off most commercials when i don’t bother changing the chanel, but for some reason i actually paid attention to this one…the girls were perfect! Perfect skin! Perfect boobs! Perfect butts! And they were white too…there nothing about them i could relate to…zero! I compared myself to them for a minute, i just felt maybe my life would be a tad better if i looked like them…needless to say i regretted letting my mind go to such a horrible place. Not like i buy much from VS to start with but i definitely would be buying much less from them…they made me feel bad about my life so they must be punished!!lol…end of rant 😀
    One of my fav commercials: Mum! Peak now comes in a ‘sachee’. I know, i already have a ‘sachee'(ELA)….haha! Plus thats how every kid in our generation knew how to pronounce sachet ‘tushly’..hehe

9. choco

February 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

The changes since the 80’s is huge, the cowbell ad is soooo funny and NOISY! Is it the louder the ad, the more sales you hit? Soap ads sha……. |UBA ad is epic

10. Vics

February 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

Atoke is back! Nice write up gal. I didn’t have the pleasure of watching tv while growing up, I enjoyed watching those ads you posted….especially that Chief Zeburaya’s (elephant) one. Just like you noted, I have also wondered why those network provider believe in using celebrities for their adverts. I just don’t get it, their faces on the recharge cards makes no difference to me and half of the time they don’t even pass the messages clear in video commercials. The only ad that has really impressed me done by a celebrity of recent, is the engine oil ad that featured Tiwa Savage. It’s not even because she’s in it but d creativity, clear message and how the person showing the product was used. Sometimes it’s good not to make the celebrities speak honestly

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm

And it’s not only telecoms networks, what about that massive one right here on the right hand side of BN’s website, which features AY (the comedian) telling us to buy property in Lekki?? I mean, in the first place, buying property is a really serious decision and in the second place, the fact that a comedian has his face splashed all over the ad whilst imploring me to make that decision is probably going to dissuade me from taking them seriously. I do wonder what the commercial reason is for using celebrities to endorse certain products.

• Blessmyheart

February 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I think creative ads may just work but using celebrities=waste of money.
      I can’t remember most of the featured ads but it seems many of them retained the basic story line over the years

11. kele kele

February 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

Adverts work.They do work,trust me,even the biggest brands in the world know that….they dont always get the companies the equivalent amount of sales,but people get to know the product,which is very important..unlike when its new and some random market woman tries to talk you into buying.See how hypo came around,filled everywhere with adverts,made it available everywhere plus in satchet size,and they simply swept Jik away…bam bam la la song might not make people buy honeywell noodles like indomie,but trust me,nobody would even know honeywell made noodles if not for that song!…and as for my fav ads..from back then ,I loved the Pears advert with the kids,esp the one in the judge costume who shouted Case dismissed!and smashed her gavel on the block,I loved and sang along to Joy girl,recently I also loved my friend Udeme…but more recently i dont have a favourite.

12. no smart names

February 17, 2014 at 11:05 am

ehem….. them adverts, (wistful sigh). fell in love with the really cool ones, and almost broke my tv because of the really annoying ones eg; the remix of the “mama too good” indomie advert was soo messed up(or fake, whichever you prefer) that i’d have given up eating indomie foe life if other noodles didn’t always taste like toilet paper.

13. Vics

February 17, 2014 at 11:06 am

Oh wait! That Tiwa’s ad is a remake of the old one…lol, didn’t watch the video till the end to see that the first time

14. Porsh

February 17, 2014 at 11:07 am

Good old days..i wished are currency could be reversed to those days of good value.
    So we can buy Elephant detergent for 40k ,blue band for #1.50k.
    May God help Nigeria.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm

AMEN!!!

15. Jane Public

February 17, 2014 at 11:12 am

My Uncle owns the biggest ad agency in Nigeria. Yes I am famzing like that. Whadd’up Uncle and watching him work all these years, trust me ad’s work. He has been in business for like forever and he is still the Oga at The Top when it gets to Brand Marketing and Advertsiement (yup, there is a difference between those two) because his clients know he can deliver and they always come to him to produce creative, profit margin boosting ads. As for this new wave of Brand Ambassadorship, he has said in a few years all those companies will realise that they don’t add to the bottom line and he and his colleagues in the ad agencies are just waiting to tell these companies, I told you so because believe or not, the economy is not as mature as the West when it gets to people buying a product because of the Celeb endorsing it. We haven’t gotten to the point where the majority have disposable income. I interned with him for a year for NYSC and Atoke, what goes on behind the scenes is art like you won’t believe. They can be in brain storming sessions for 2 days sometimes to get a 30 second advert out. Watching them is like watching a mini movie production. I have all Apple products because of their ad’s to be honest. I grew up drinking Milo all my life and switched to Bournvita because of their ads. My siblings too. My mum had to buy one of each product because she and Daddy were too old to switch from Milo. Close up ads were more fun than Macleans so we used close up. Many people I know prefer Maltina to Malta Guiness but guess what, Malta Guiness sells more because of their catchy ads. Yup, my Uncle’s ad agency was involved in their ad campaign. My current car, a Mercedes. I won’t lie I went to a dealership the day after I saw the ad. If an ad connects with you, you will buy the product. If it doesn’t connect with you, the ad just becomes entertainment. An advert can also create brand loyalty (enter the realm of brand marketing). Take a look at Apple, take a look at Coca Cola and Mercedes. Then you will know Brand Marketing and Advertisement works. The job of the ad agency is making sure the ad connects with you on some level while at the same time inspiring brand loyalty i.e. you buying that products makes you feel like you are part of the company. I know when I replaced my Macbook pro I felt a sense of pride and ownership as if I was a shareholder. Those Apple people get my wallet EVERYTIME. I can’t help it. Lol

• whocares

February 17, 2014 at 11:42 am

True say about the difference brand marketing and advertisements. Brands are the village belle competitors, and adverts are the town criers that try to get them noticed at the village dance. Personally I am not loyal to any brand, but hmm Appleheads like you dont mess with that brand even though they may get better value for money elsewhere.. The loyalty this brand has accrued is astonishing. I have never understood celebrity endorsement in Nigeria either, the companies cannot make any profit from that deal and that is why i dont understand it. Isnt the purpose of business to make profit? These celebrities will not increase the sale of the product in question.. Your uncle will definitely have the last laugh in this instance.

• Jane Public

February 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Better value for money elsewhere kwa. Don’t let me go nuclear on you o. Lol. Apple fan for life. Although I will never queue outseide for days to get something that will be available everywhere the week after. My craze never reach that one but loyal, I am loyal and I think it is loyalty to Steve Jobs. The genius of our generation that he was. I felt sad when he died, like I’d lost a favourite Uncle. Steve made you love him and that translated to you loving his company and his products and I mean love his products. An Apple device is not just a piece of tech, it is a part of your life. I am probably ranting like a crazy person but the day I made the switch to Mac years ago, that thing has become my baby. Apple ads also make you feel like you are buying into a community of cool hip people. Lord knows the hundreds of people I have smiled at or started a conversation with in coffee shops when I see them with a Mac. Just the way the Mercedes ads make you feel like a billionaire when you get behind the wheel. The BMW ads on the other hand makes you feel powerful and strong. BMW”s fit the small willie, short man syndrome types (my bestie says). It is all about connecting to you. Trust me, he and his people are waiting to have the last laugh with this brand ambassador of a thing. The way those companies are haemorrhaging money is ridiculous.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

SONY has got mine o. I just smile this deep secretive smile when I walk past any SONY shop. If they had a clothing line I would wear them. Sonny oooooo, I’m singing gooooo. (Mon korin looo)

• Jane Public

February 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm

That smile, tell me about it. I feel the same too with brands I am loyal to. I walk past the store, see their ads on tv or in print and I just smile. With them, I feel happy handing over my money.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Laughing at “Those Apple people get my wallet EVERYTIME”. I think that’s exactly what they’re gunning for. Actually caught myself saying jokingly to someone yesterday that “If e no be iPhone, e no fit be like iPhone” then I realised that this is EXACTLY how Apple want to shape the spending habits of their customers. No wonder a resistant group of anti-Apple shoppers exist, who absolutely refuse to own anything produced by them…

• Jane Public

February 17, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Lol. Aaaaaaw a fellow Apple head. I just knew it. Sensible people like you have to be Apple heads. Okay, running away now. We know they are gunning for our wallets but we are not complaining.

• observer

February 17, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Yes oh…that would be me….for the life of me ,I will never understand the loyalty that people have towards this apple…..me, na Samsung back na him I die for….

• Ekwitosi

February 17, 2014 at 7:57 pm

My dear it took me a while to get on this apple train fully. I got an iPod since 2006 and never bothered with any other thing till I got an iPad as a birthday gift two years ago then I went crazy by getting an iPhone and macbook pro. Now my laptop and me have become one! In fact I went to town with pink accessories that people ask me at the coffee shop if this mac pro was made specially for me!
      There is nothing like solid branding does any one remember when people will go to the store and say ‘they type of maggie they have is royco’ forgetting that both are supposed to be brands of seasoning. The other one too is saying the type of omo we have is elephant or the type of peak milk we have is carnation!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I appreciate your analysis on brand marketing and advertising. The only brand that I feel has been able to go on brand marketing alone is Bang and Olufsen (A Danish Co). I mean, how can a company inform you that it is going to produce only 100 of a particular commodity and its sold out within how many hours? Its not even been made yet! They are so freaking elitist and it has worked for them.

I don’t bother with Nigerian ads these days. I wont even touch brand ambassadorship, I mean, I get Ms. Henshaw with Onga, Joke Silver and Chioma with Harpic, Kehinde Bankole with Magie, but them Telecomms and others is just (I’m sorry) pathetic. No finesse, no creativity, no visible thought process, no elitist concept (a little always works)….. Its really awful.

16. whocares

February 17, 2014 at 11:16 am

LMAO. I am an advert junkie. It shows a lack of will power in my case but i have been known to buy sheba cat food because the advert was soo divine. I dont even own a cat. Some advertisements are truly good, and they live up to their purpose when they convince people like me to go “east” and buy Sharwoods for my stir fry needs. My favourite advert though (see link below) is not of any product I know, but if it were I would proudly walk into Tesco singing that jingle as I buy the product.
    PS: Kudos on going to the cinema alone. I LOVE doing it.. For movies I particularly like, I discourage my friends from coming along and I go to the cinema with a bottle of wine.

The best advert in the world: youtube.com/watch?v=-k9K8V2-Itw

• whocares

February 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

Also “na who get this raincoat”!!! who could ever forget that!

• Que

February 17, 2014 at 11:27 am

Who get raincoat cannot die!

• Magz

February 17, 2014 at 1:15 pm

LMAO @ Sheba Cat food

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hahahahaha! You do what?? Do they even sell wine at those counters where you buy the popcorn?? Or you just wander into the adjoining bar beforehand and get a bottle to go? 🙂 I love the pre-feature adverts at the cinema too but only the movie trailers, so I know what other movies to anticipate. Otherwise, I could honestly do without the ads, especially all the ones featuring Kevin Bacon…

• whocares

February 17, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I take the wine from home o, so when i get to the cinema i get those plastic cups from the counter. loool. In my defence i hate popcorn, and movies are just so much better that way. Its mostly weekday nights, near empty cinema (it can like to feel like my house o the way i set up shop at my corner) lool.

• Atoke

February 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm

LOOOLLLLLLLL

• Atoke

February 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

LOOOLLLLLLLL WHAT??????? Loollll I’m going to try this. Say… what’s the size of your satchel wey you dey take carry the sontin? Make I take use am guage.

17. Que

February 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

I thought I was d only one extremely irritated by honeywelll’s new campaign…like reallyyy???? They are all worse by d day… I dont have a favorite one now sef..

18. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 11:36 am

Atoke! You have did it again! Your mind is there. Only you can make me laugh like a blooming nuts this fine Monday morn! Thanks for the memories. Kai! I don old.

19. http://www.anemistyle.com

February 17, 2014 at 11:50 am

Gosh thess ads are so NOLSTALGIC, I miss being young.

20. peyton

February 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Venus the milo ad.one advert I loved mr biggs is 10 come and share with us lots of love and excitement. They showed it during the commercial break of secrets of the sand that soap opera.(Speaking of which who knows were I can get it and wild rose too) but honestly adverts are good I want to buy the ford suv that parks itself (na so the advert talk o) just because of the ad.yep sometimes. But not always.

• Nominee

February 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Babe did we grow up together? Mr. Biggs is 10 and secrets of the sand! Awesome!!!

• Eve82

February 18, 2014 at 6:06 am

Did someone say secrets of the sand? Rachel and Marcus. Let me know if you buy the DVD. The thing pain me as NTA left me stranded half way. Never finished the soap till today. I recently bought the rich also cry at bestbuy in the Latino DVD section. It is actually in Spanish, but subtitled in English. I go there every now and then to see if I may get lucky again.

21. thetoolsman

February 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Interesting. I’ve worked in the marketing industry for about ten years and I’d say I agree with some parts of your piece. Yes, we do have a lot of retarded ads – sad. Most of the sing-along ones are. It stems from the laziness in the industry, most agencies just ride on the norm that musical ads work better especially in these parts of the world and they back that up with brand awareness and ad popularity surveys. Because we know the words to the songs in the ads doesn’t directly mean it’ll make us go buy the product BUT we need to understand that not all ad campaigns are designed to drive sales. Some could just be to improve brand awareness, loyalty etc.. (I know for a fact though that in Nigeria it’s all about the bottom line).

I’d also like to point out the fact that the effect of most ads is subliminal. Because watching the Honeywell noodles ads doesn’t make you run out to buy the product doesn’t mean it hasn’t had so form of impact on you. It could take days, weeks or months before you realize it but if you ever need to buy noodles and they place 5 brands infront of you, you’ll easily recall the Honeywell brand and you may just end up buying it.

22. https://countingonaccounting.wordpress.com

February 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I remember being a kid, and telling my older cousin (or was it an aunt?) that I’d rather not use a sponge because the women on telly only shower with their bar of soap. Yes, I was destined to be a ‘big girl’ from way back 🙂

23. Energybill

February 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I must say adverts do suck me in sometimes especially if it is something I need or I am just feeling lazy to cook cue M&S dine in offer. At the weekend the M&S dine in offer advert comes in handy, it requires no prep and I just chuck in the oven and voila it is ready to eat.

Another advert that got me was the ‘Biore’ moisturiser for oily skin. I have very oily face and I am always on the lookout for products that promises to combat this. When this advert came along, I bought it and suprise suprise it worked! But for some reason I don’t understand they discontinued the line #rollseyes.

The ‘compare the meerkat’ advert also gets me. It is cheeky, funny and annoying all at the same time but I am very sure it converts to purchases. And I am not the only one. I was reading sometime ago how a lot of people wrote a petition because the advert was going to be stopped. lol. I am always on the website when my car insurance is due.

Nigerian adverts are on another level! I am not going to bash them here but let’s just say they are improving. I remember ‘gold circle or is it right time condom’ advert when I was younger. I didn’t know the meaning of condoms then but I could recite the advert word for word. Looking back now I’m sure the adults around me then must have been cringing when n my innocent state I sang along to the adverts whe they came on. Lol!

The ‘choc choc chocomillo’ advert got be back then, stayed in my head till now cos I bought some packets of chocomilo on my last visit

• Energybill

February 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm

On Nigerian adverts, meant to say they were good in the 80s when I was growing up, went downhill in the 90s and 00s, and they are picking up now. I agree with people on the celeb endorsed advert, they are crap!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Babes (or bobo? I no know) get out of my head!!! That’s what I said about M&S and Compare the Market as well…

• Anne

February 18, 2014 at 1:25 pm

lool. I have three of them. I love the one in the robe.

24. Theodora

February 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm

OH YES IT DOES FOR ME, I OPENED A BANK PHB ACCOUNT THEN WHEN IT WAS STILL BANK PHB, BECAUSE OF THEIR AD THAT THERE IS NO IMPOSSIBITY IN THEIR BOOKS AND CARS WILL RUN ON WATER

25. DAMMY

February 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm

“we sing and dance together, we dance and we sing…..lime lemonic drink Limca” (limca) and AaaaaaaIT (AIT) omg i love those adverts.

• nwanyi na aga aga

February 17, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Chai! this add shaa, the way those ladies danced limca, limca, limca at the end… loooool!

• Peaches77

February 17, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Limca … During Sunday rendezvous !

26. T.dance

February 17, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Nice one, Atoke. The major problem is the client, not the agencies(speaking from experience as a Marketing comms person). Clients think Nigerians are dumb so they suggest dumb ideas to the agency or chop the agency’s fantastic ideas to fit their picture of typical ads. I hope the clients become open minded so there can be great ads like the ones from the 80s that will make the cash registers ring. (the part of using celebs to sell products is just silly.

27. winnie

February 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm

i cant stop smiling from ear to ear…..my childhood right here!

28. Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Atoke, I haven’t watched TV in what feels like months (no thanks to work + exam “jacking”) … everytime Sky makes their monthly withdrawal from my account, I promise myself that I’ll cancel my subscription VERY SOON…

Never underestimate the evil geniuses known as ad execs, those crafty devils know exactly what they’re doing. Haven’t you seen the “Compare the Meerkat” ads, woman??? Those Slavic rodents now have their own cuddly merchandise. How is they possible in a sane universe???? Even I’ve started using the Compare the Market website to buy insurance, that’s how much they’ve gotten into my head…

Or what about those new, smoking hot adverts that Richard Branson’s rolled out for Virgin Atlantic. He’s branded his Arline to look so hip and fun that British Airways seems hopelessly old fashioned in comparison; I tell you, that man’s not a billionaire for nothing…

My own personal favorite for ads that’ve actually moved me to buy the product, however, will have to be the ones which M&S use to advertise food. Lawd have mercy, they practically seduce you through the screen, with slow music playing while they show close-ups of the mouthwatering offerings and over all that, you have that rich female voice informing you, “It’s not JUST food, it’s M&S food…”. Tell me how I am able to resist temptation. So na to carry money go pay for the significantly more expensive product (occasionally oh, no be so my long throat reach) because they’re very correct. M&S food dey make sense tire! 🙂

• bimbylads

February 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

!!!Compare the meerkat got to me! I even almost followed Aleksandra (sp?) on twitter and facebook! sigh. lol..

• whocares

February 17, 2014 at 5:32 pm

OOH the meerkats!!!.. and M&S? those people are the devil! I avoid that shop like the plague in fact i make the sign of the cross when i walk past it. How could any one forget Vince the gangsta panda for foxes “bisqueets”!!! I even have him on facebook. LOOL. Adverts are on a whole new level now.

29. FunkyW

February 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Sunlight detergent adverts made my mum start buying it. Artist endorsed telecom adverts don’t do any trick whatever for me, the only reason I’ll use line is if a friend endorses it from personal experience or cheap call rates and freebies.

30. Adaeze

February 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I remember one song which goes like this; “I am the future of the world, I am the hope of my nation, I am tomorrow’s people, I am the new inspiration, so we have a song to sing to you. We’ve got a message to bring to you…” It was a coke advert if I am not mistaken and I haven’t forgotten that song since then…it’s over fifteen years now. Then, there is, the Bank PHB advert of the talking cars…I loved it and opened an account there. Now I am not really swooned by ads, cos ad coys are not as creative as they used to be before.
    All the same, I can say that, a well laid-out ad can make me buy a product, besides, Hypo bleach did!

• blushingbabe

February 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Yes o! Coke advert for Christmas season back then. I really enjoyed that advert and always looked forward to it. The Santa Claus at the back of the truck… wow! memories

• Joan85

February 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Yes!!!!!! It was a Coke ad, you just made me go find it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk5OBmtsVt4 good old days… 🙂

31. mia

February 17, 2014 at 1:53 pm

still on the functions of adverts, there’s a saying in Marketing Communications that selling a product without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark, you know what you’re doing but nobody does. so adverts could be placed to create brand awareness, initiate trial, create brand loyalty, relieve or create dissonance, even though the target audience may not necessarily know what the advertiser has in mind.

the other adverts i remember very well are, Papillo, one day, i know say u go make us proud, the skye bank’s i wish…my friend, Udeme by Guinness and for some weird reason, i like the CocaCola, i’m the crazy one who shares my coke ad

present adverts that suck: honeywell whetameal is a disaster, meet my guys, forever on their pads, laptops and phones…the guys appear like irresponsible kids who have devices but cannot afford to pay for internet service. BTW, i feel most of glo adverts are crappy, seems they don’t like to spend money on reputable ad agencies who will give them quality adverts.

32. Ready

February 17, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I used to be excited about Nigerian ads some years ago…as in, NFL Superbowl ads-type excitement. Now with Ribena selling canned ‘healthy drink’ (AS IF!) and everything becoming cheap ass cartoonized stuff, I’m over all’o’dem mehn.

“I be fish seller, this work e get plenty *forgot that*…the smoke e go join the oil, e go black, e go stain my body. I pour new Omo for hand, I put am inside water, I shake am together…my body begin dey..new new scent, scent, scent, na im I just dey smell. The old scent for fish, e don comot.” It was razz, but I got the gist…and I actually tried New Omo..ya know, when they switched their color from blue to white.

I DESPISE COMPANIES THAT DON’T GET THAT THE NIGERIAN POPULACE REQUIRES THOUGHT-THROUGH ADS. Sorry for screaming…it was necessary. Dude, if I hear another “Mama do good o, she give us Indomie”, I will hurl…already, I change the screen. I don’t know who their target is…at N35 a pop for some aerated carbohydrates, it definitely isn’t for the very poor. So is it awon middle class kids that that razz song is targeted at? Indomie used to get it..that’s what pisses me off.
    Always, Indomie, and MTN used to have the coolest ads before it all went to hell in a handbasket…”Mama na boy” my butt. And Delta with almost always fair skinned models? Puhlease…beautiful comes in all shades. Right now, I’m #TeamTura or whatever soap I see at home. Who remembers the MTN ad with the couple both watching the sunset despite the distance? Good ole days. Meanwhile, the South African ads are still smart-ish.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I remember that MTN advert and believe that quite a number of chicks fell in love with the guy they used… Those were the heydays of great MTN ads.

33. CHICHI

February 17, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Does anyone remember the MTN advert with a cute couple and the girl saying “Oh Jerry…” with a sigh. That one was really nice lol

• Vics

February 17, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Yes! That was my favorite!!! Followed by the one with d female doctor calling her family. MTN did cool adverts back in d day

• Easy n Gentle

February 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Yea that one!!! “Babe, you are a gift. You give my life a lift”. Wouldn’t change the station till that ad runs its course.

• Esther

February 18, 2014 at 1:07 am

Awww! Getting all mushy now …. Sigh! That advert was beautiful. What’s MTN Up to these days anyway?

34. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I used to be an ardent advert junkie when I was much younger. I, along with my sibs, would sing along to every commercial, every drama, news, talk show, sound track. Who remembers: “P. S I love You (Now its my turn to write you a letter…) or Moon lightening, Sledge Hammer, Santa Brabra, Tax Collector, Third Eye… Sometimes if there was no light, once it was time, we would sing the intro complete with instruments (our mouths were so dexterous then) then start acting or conducting the talk show or news as the case may be…. Okay I digress.

I remember once when I was 5 or 6, after watching that Joy advert, I quietly retired to the bathroom, picked up a bar and lathered myself just the way she did, complete with the arched neck and orgasmic look. I looked lovingly upon my skin, the rich, purifying lather as it melted. I stepped out of the bathroom like royalty, taking one gingerly step after the other, basking in in the halo of my new found beauty. I gently wiped the streaming fluids off my body and looked with very superior thoughts and looks at my sisters. Did they not see how different I looked, the new halo of beauty I had now become? Kai, innocence is bliss sometimes.

Remember when Lux was doing that promo when you had to look for a gold coin with Lux spelt on it? My mum and I would get so impatient we could not wait for the soap to melt so we would cut right it out. I remember once we had Tandi Guranra in the fridge when the ad was playing we rushed popped some bottles and sang and danced along to the commercial when it played. My sister overspent money on something once upon a time and I responded by saying that would have bought 6 bottles of Coke. Wallis Ice Cream, Goodie goodie, Oyakaka, I could go on and on…

What effects do these ads have on us? I think as children, our minds are impressionable and we easily latch on to almost everything. As adults, we are more cynical and choosy as we only look out for those products that we feel define us or who we wish to be. But the consummate advert is that which can reach the child in the man (or woman) yet make him feel like an adult (which is what the Honey Well noodles did). Remember the animation Ratatouille, the renowned antagonistic chef chose the best dish, not on the basis that it was the best but because it ignited memories of childhood.

I dont buy anything based on adverts.

P.S. In my house, we would do a free coke advert

• TA

February 17, 2014 at 4:54 pm

You had me at Walls ice cream. Walls ice cream the dream of ice cream,Walls ice cream is good for you,Walls ice cream the king of ice cream…
      PS: I nor know whether Wetin I sing so correct o.

• Peaches77

February 17, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Oh, walls Ice cream, still fantasize about it once in a while.
      We want oyakaka, give me oyakaka ….

• Miss Anonymous

February 20, 2014 at 1:57 pm

“Walls ice cream refreshingly creamy” 🙂

35. pynk

February 17, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Garrison no get advert but it still dey sell.

36. bimbylads

February 17, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Atoke… nostalgic moments…..just what I needed this morning… Who can ever forget 3 orange men!… infact we named one of our teachers orange woman. lol.. Pls who knows where I can get a recording of that Nigeria 99 football theme song? “Welcome to Nigeria 99… Welcome to the Africa… We welcome to the land where something something happens…and then it goes off into one native language? Igbo I think?” VFMC class of 99 girls.. pls help me out here. lol.. love love love that ad/ song.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm

SOLO1
      This is the land so rich in culture
      This is the land hosting all nations
      This is a land so great
      Where milk and honey flowssss
      SOLO2
      This is the land of rain and sunshine
      This is a land where football reigns
      This is a land so great
      Where milk and honey flows

Though our tribes and culture may differ.. But in football we are oneeeee
      We are joined together in peace and Unity We are bound strong together we are oneeeee

CHORUS
      Welcome to Nigeria 99
      Welcome to Africa
      Welcome to the land where we host the world
      Welcome to Africa
      Welcome to Nigeria 99
      Welcome to a land so great where milk and honey flows
      IGBO
      Ibato nabo go oma ebemili o (something something)
      Ibato nabo go do oma (something something)

YORUBA
      A ki yin kabo sori eto wa
      Ema gbdun lori (something something)
      E ma gbadun ara yin aki yin o gbe yin o

HAUSA
      ……… Nigeria…

I did not attend VFMC

ALL RIGHTS UNRESERVED. COPYRIGHT ’99

• TA

February 17, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Oh my! You are having so much fun with this.Lol! Come o,you actually remember all the words? Okay! Lol!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Guilty pleasure, mi dear. Said I was a junkie, didn’t I? (covers face)
      By the way, how you been? Your comments are fewer and when they come the party is almost over.

My papa and mama they love each other
      and they seat at the table to eat
      papa said to mama this food is tasty
      mama smiles and then she strats too sing
      oh la la la la
      o its so nice
      on family menu we learn a lot (2ce)

• Ready

February 17, 2014 at 6:52 pm

No o!

YORUBA:
      A ki yin kabo s’ori eto wa
      E kaabo s’ori ile olora
      E ma gbadun ara yin, adun ni o gbeyin o

HAUSA
      Barka ku s’ade tala de abinchin
      Ko sade yi t’alafia
      (something something something)
      Gugu t’alafia!

IGBO
      Iba ta godo godo nma a aaaa

Lemme stop. The Yoruba one is the only correct one in this entire comment.

• Ekwitosi

February 17, 2014 at 8:12 pm

@Bobosteke & Lara Bian omg!!! In fact I have tears in my eyes reading this you have just sent me to Lagos! Not just yours but all these comments those were the good old days! Right there was my childhood!
      Who remembers guinness stout and the Michael Power series? What about the local radio advert for guinness e strong kakaraka and at the end they will say black thing good o! Then Union bank big, strong, reliable. Thanks Atoke you have just made my day!

• Easy n Gentle

February 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I loved that song. It was Zaki Adzee doing the hausa part. Barka ku zago …. i don’t speak Hausa so i don’t spoil it. and the ibo part sounded like “iba da lo go do doma” , i do not speak ibo either and i think King Sunny Ade added “Ekaabo si ori ilede wa, Ekaabo si ori ile olora… e ma gbadun ara yin… adun ni yi o gbeyin ooo”

And the three orange men advert too was quite catchy. I recollect i had quite a few bottles of Mirinda subconsciously because of it

37. Dawn

February 17, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Personally I don’t recall myself buying any product because of the advert. I buy things that I’m used to. For example,there’s no amount of advert that can convince me to purchase cowbell or any noodles aside from indomie. You just can’t convince me to. I might love the advert or even enjoy dancing to it but it doesn’t change a thing..lol. When I choose a brand,that’s the end. But for people like my mom,she tries almost every thing she sees on tv or in the papers,she loves to compare and try new things. So I guess people are just different

• Ready

February 17, 2014 at 7:02 pm

My mom is the consummate consumer. You advertise it, she’s trying it.

38. Fabulicious

February 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I feel good…parararararara.I knew that I would now…hmmm..That Malta Guinness advert so got to me.lol

39. Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm

btw Atoke, how was “Monuments Men”? Exams are (temporarily) dispensed with (could you tell from my multiple responses above? *bats eyelashes*) and I feel in my spirit that Cineworld has missed my patronage…

• Atoke

February 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Lol I can tell. It was okay. Not wow’d but very historical. Got me reading up on the history of recovered art in Nazi occupied Europe. Philomena is a good one too. Great historical lessons too. Hehehe

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

February 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I know this would sound weird but I miss exam tension. I am enrolling for another professional exam so that would cure me soon. Miss it though.

• jcsgrl

February 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I know what you mean. Why are we Nigerian obsessed with studying and taking exams? I just took a break from my self induced “I must take 2 prof exams this year”. Why??? I’m asking myself why I have to torture myself like this. In my org. I’m the one with most certs, yet I still want to suffer some more…sighs.
      Gosh this topic and the comments have made my morning. You should see me singing along

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm

@ Atoke, fanks for the recommendations! Will look into viewing times for that and “Philomena” (which got a BAFTA, as I noted).

@ B&LB, it’s the buzz of studying and filling yourself with new knowledge and then getting formally assessed on how well you know what you think you know 🙂 Go forth and prepare for those examinations, silsta, we’re Nigerians and continued professional development is what we do best 😀

• jcsgrl

February 17, 2014 at 6:00 pm

ITS AN OBSESSION. We like to be the bestest at what we do. For me, I don’t like been told “oh you dont have such and such qualifications” That drives me. Abeg after this one I will rest. How much designations can one have by their name biko?

40. neon

February 17, 2014 at 3:38 pm

the one and only advert that worked for me… Gossard advert circa 1999 or 2000. girl is walking down the road, she gets hit by a bus, and is rushed to ER, they tried to cut her clothes off and she refused, long story short she was wearing nasty underwear. now im not saying i only wear Gossard but lets just say i wont be caught dead in underwear that doesnt match. i know another friend of mine who watched that advert with me in uni and she actually itches when she sees someone in random underwear. lol

41. Moving On Swiftly

February 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Ok lemme join the bandwagon. Not really an advert but the starting song of the program and I’m gonna remix it…..

My mama and papa they love eash hother
    And they sit at the table to eattttt
    Papa said to Mama, this food is TASTELESS!!!
    Mama carry Kondo and hit Papa

Ori mi yeye, e carry Kondo
    E carry Kondo and hit PaPaaaaa (x2)

Wow that was fun! lol. Twas for a show called “Maggi Kitchen” I believe.

• Miss Anonymous

February 20, 2014 at 2:16 pm

In line 2, you mean “hand dey sit hat de tabu to heat”

42. TA

February 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Oh Atoke of life you sure know how to give life to certain topics. May your days be long my darling 🙂
    This article is very nostalgic…Well done

43. debs

February 17, 2014 at 5:04 pm

it has to be that pears.. my lord, mommy had denied baby and i the joy of pears.
    That was the reason why i fell for law. In its own way, it helped shape me.

44. jcsgrl

February 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

45. Easy n Gentle

February 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

“Mummy, Daddy is shaking! Mummy, Daddy is shaking!!” Then the wife runs in and asks the hubby what the matter was. He responds “Cold, Catarrh, Headache”… She gives him a tablet and 30minutes later he is well. The kid ends it by saying “SHAKEY SHAKEY DADDY”. That Advert was awesome

• whocares

February 17, 2014 at 7:21 pm

lmaooooooooooo. was it not procold the product? The had another one “Mummy daddy is shaking”. The mother replies.. “dundee your daddy is not back”. OOh the cowbell song “cowbell our milk, put am for garri- COWBELL,put am for akamu e go dissolve one time- COWBELL. (that was such a load of bullocks. cowbell that does not even dissolve in hot tea!)
      FUNTIMES COCONUT CHIPS!!! I cant believe we all forgot ” Gala o my brother, gala o my sister”…I am loosing it now. I will go back to my yoruba movies.

46. Ready

February 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Who lives in the US and remembers ‘Head on, apply directly to forehead….Head on, apply directly to forehead”. That’s all that damn ad was. They literally repeated that one phrase for about 1 or 2 minutes. At first I was annoyed, then I started repeating it too.

But I never used Head on. Because if you’re that lazy with your ad, how much effort did you put into the medicine?

• Donald-Landon

February 18, 2014 at 1:53 am

I remember the ‘head on’ advert. For some reason I hated the advert because all it did was repeat apply directly to the forehead a gazillion times. Do you remember the Vidalia chop wizard dicer advert and Jack Lalanne juicer advert that used to be on tv some time back. I remember buying both back in college because of the fancy advert.

47. Esther

February 18, 2014 at 1:13 am

@ Atoke: Thumbs up! This has to be the best post this year. You can tell we all enjoyed it, including you, lol… if your multiple responses are anything to go by. More grease to your elbows.

48. ayo

February 18, 2014 at 6:04 am

Also,”the big black sweet wey get white line na tom tom na he be tom tom”
    I hope got the line though cos it’s been a long time.
    Also,Papilo,i know say one day you go make me proud.
    Also,Milo papapa Milo.

49. Josy

February 18, 2014 at 8:25 am

This is so nostalgic!!!! The baby judge says ‘guilty or not guilty’ takes the cake for me. Am a Samsung fan. Don’t know when and how I got addicted.

50. caro

February 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

was still wondering wats the ish abt ads this week when i saw the chanel ad. I wanted to work in an ad agency until shit happened. . y’all need to youtube the $20mio ad for chanel and it got only about 4million hits. I kept wondering wat their justification was for spending so much on the ad. sorry can’t send the link but u shld check it out.

51. ENIOLA

February 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

Jeez! where was I yesterday. I read every comment one after the other. I can remember most of the ads from the 90s, Tandi Guaranda, Limca, 7up, Coca Cola, planta, Omo girls with polka dot dresses among others. And yes adverts get to me until growth happened sha. I’ve always wondered about the use of celebrities by telecomm. companies too. They should better the lives of more random people with more creative ad ideas. Thanks ATOKE, you brightened my Tuesday.

52. Zayt

February 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

Very nostalgic indeed! 😀 I miss my childhood days…thumbs up Atoke!

53. Anne

February 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Go compare, go compare, u can be sure when u insure with go compare, its where u go to , insure ur motor. Love the guy

54. Ekwitosi

February 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm

What about Ray Power 100.5 when it premiered in Lagos? I loved the jingle so much that I can still remember it after almost 20 years! I hope I got it right.

Wake up city of Lagos
    Wake up Nigeria
    Your premier FM is right here with you
    Are you ready to start your day?
    It’s gonna be a good one so when you see your sister say
    Good morning, good morning to you it’s great to be alive
    Good morning to you from 100.5
    Good morning, good morning to you it’s great to be alive
    Good morning to you from 100.5
    Good, good morning to you
    Good, good morning to you
    Good morning to you its great to be alive
    Good morning to you from 100.5

Oh gosh I need a life!!!!!!!

55. Ekwitosi

February 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Nasco Conflakes! What is the name of that food company that was in Jos that produced a lot of stuff we ate?

Wake up
    Rise and shine
    Here comes your daily starter
    Nasco quality cornflakes super? and nourishing good made

Oh the days of Cock crow at dawn, mirror in the sun, ripples, check mate etc.

56. DOO

February 19, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I think my favorite Nigerian advert is the MTN ‘I don port o’ advert featuring Saka. It was apt and filled with melody.

57. Ayreal

February 19, 2014 at 3:07 pm

This is nostalgic…Atoke, you took me back into those good old days. What is left for the kids of dis generation?My growing up was fun, we never miss Sunday rendezvous and der was liberty to watch any kind of advert you wish unlike dis new age wen we have to vet d kinda ads. our children suld c . we grew up with lot of fun n ipapanu like: Balewa, sisi pelebe, chocomilo, tenten, suwe, bojuboju (wen u’l have to kip seeking for a place to hide even wen u had alrdy been caught)*laughs* it was fun mehn! everytin na tushtush dis daz*sighs*.

58. Simplyjane

February 21, 2014 at 8:42 pm

‘Capture the moment, it’s a bright new idea, it’s a soap thats forever as fresh as the sea eh eh’! Loved that ava soap ad. Immediately i could go shopping for provi in boarding house, used to buy ava. It smelled great. Sadly, some ads now no be am. Wouldn’t allow my children listen to ads done in pidgin lest they sing along

59. Amiphat

February 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Nigeria is 25
    The odds we did survive
    Arise salute the nation
    Come join the celebration
    A people united will never fall
    The sun will shine and the rain will fall
    On our land vast and mighty
    Richly blessed by the Almighty
    Like bees in a hive
    We work so hard
    To make our honey flow….
    But not without the help of the hoe (echo hoe)
    Arise salute the nation
    Come join the celebration
    Nigeria is 25, Nigeria is 25!

Good times! I’m all smiles at the moment.

Anyone born in the 70’s? remember the Nku, Dubonet, Lux (with Patti Boulaye) ads?

60. nammy

April 30, 2014 at 7:28 pm

You count I count, everybody counts everybody counts is lts census time, its census time! Was soo xcited wen d census pple came to count me.

61. RAINBOW

July 3, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Atoke for bringing back my fun memories.

62. Iphedhayhor

February 20, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I wonder why no one is talking about this old paracetamol advert. ‘Mummy, daddy’s shaking’ ‘ ‘dundee, your daddy is not back’, another is that of Saka’s Lonart campaign, ‘I put it to you that you arre a menace to the society and should be locked up forever, I remand you in Lonart’s custody’ and this advert campaign that has continued to gain popularity in our advertising class in school (dem don use am as example tire for my class), ‘ose ST ma re Oo°˚˚˚° ee, Ikan dara fun ‘we lasan ee, ikan dara f’aso fifo, e lo ST ………..’ Even though it’s been long I’ve the product in the market. I think to a very large extent, we have good campaigns in times past but not anymore. To be sincere, I can only remember not more than two campaigns that influenced my buying. I remember safeguard soap and ‘energy food drink for future champions (which makes me chose Milo over Bournvita till date). I began looking up and down my room to see any other but I don’t think I found one. A friend of my happened to have worked with Chi, where he was opportuned to have witnesses and ads agency analysing every aspect of a copy to the his superior. He later told me those campaigns only work in the offices of the advertisers and the agency and not on the Nigerian audience. I sang Skye Bank’s ‘I wish I have a friend helping ……… Saying yes to your wish’ but I haven’t fathom opening an account with that bank – it’s impossible for now- Sunny Nneji’s ‘Chi exotic advert’. When I buy, I buy because I have seen someone use the product or I used it at friends’ place, most times when I buy, I buy what is available just like a female coursemate of mine