Features

Lola Akingbade: Common Nutrition Blunders That May be Stopping your Progress

Do you work out daily and believe you eat right but the scale is not changing or is going the wrong direction? There are some common mistakes about nutrition that you need to know about, some are very easy to overlook. I have listed a couple of them below.

Skipping Meals
Some people skip meals to minimize their daily caloric intake. The most common one is usually breakfast. The problem with skipping meals is that, you end up really hungry and by the time you realize this, you gulp up anything in sight and end up eating more calories than if you had just followed your original plan of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do not skip breakfast; it sets the pace for your day and also helps you function better throughout the day

Not Drinking Enough Water
Sometimes we confuse thirst for hunger, so you eat a bunch of things thinking your body is hungry meanwhile, it really is just thirsty. Try to drink more water throughout the day, it helps calm you and also keep you full.

Thinking Condiments and Sauces do not Count
The nutritional information for these may sometimes be low, however, once you pack them onto sandwiches, salads or anything, you should take them into consideration. It may appear negligible but it all adds up and eventually will have a negative impact on your progress. For instance you think the salad dressing would not count, however if you take a look at the nutrition information, those dressings contain a lot of calories and fat!

Setting Unrealistic Goals
Cut yourself some slack! Do not set crazy goals of losing 20 pounds in one week. It didn’t take a few days to get your bodies to their current state, so it won’t just happen fast. Rejoice in the little progress you make daily and take it step by step. Did you avoid soda for a whole week? Give yourself a pat on the back. Did you eat breakfast everyday for a week? Another pat on the back! Love yourself and enjoy how far you have come.

Depriving Yourself
Depriving yourself of things only leads to failure eventually. If you cut out everything so fast, you will end up giving up and going back to where you started. Slowly reduce or substitute things from your diet. For instance if you love burgers so much, do not immediately cut it out completely and go to salads lol, maybe try healthier versions of a burger like a home made turkey burger. Do not punish yourself.

Thinking Restaurant Salads are Always Wise Choices
Yes, they are leafy greens vegetables, however many places load them up with bacon, candied nuts, cheese, creamy, oily dressings, croutons or various things that make them attractive but unhealthy. Most times, they end up being unhealthier than getting a burger! Try making your own salads or if you are not great at it, when you go out to eat, be picky, ask them to take out certain things or put them in a separate bowl for you or better still get your salads at a salad bar where you can create it yourself.

All or Nothing Mentality
Try the 80/20 mentality. If you are consistent 80percent of the time, that’s awesome!! Give yourself a break here and there. Do not have the mentality of thinking just because you ate a bad lunch that you should destroy the entire day and start over tomorrow. Had a bad lunch? So what? Move on, eat a healthy dinner and move on with your life, don’t throw in the towel for the day!

Not Paying Attention to Your Food Signals
Pay attention to your body especially knowing when it’s hungry or filled up or when it’s craving something sweet, salty or sour. Sometimes you eat something sweet and are still not satisfied; it may be your body craving something salty or different. Also our bodies are different therefore, what works for one person may not necessarily work for you so do not be misled.

Not Reading Nutrition Labels Properly
Do not pick and choose what to focus on. Do not just focus on the calories. Read and understand the nutrition labels. Look at the carbs, fat, protein, sugar and fiber and even the micronutrients like potassium etc. Also pay attention to the servings per container so you do not consume more that you think you are. Many foods like drinks always look like single-serving packages, when they are actually just about a third or half of the container

Drinking Your Calories
Maybe you are eating clean but are you also drinking your calories from beverages? A can of coke can contain as many as 240 calories, which does not seem like much but when it becomes a regular part of your day then it can add tons of calories and sugar to your body and wreck your progress.

Lola Akingbade is a certified Nutritionist and Weight Management Specialist, Fitness blogger, HuffingtonPost Contributor and Owner of Christsoldiergirl Fitness Blog (www.christsoldiergirlfitness.com). She also holds a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. She has a passion for working out, staying fit and helping others achieve their goals of healthy lifestyles. She can be reached on Instagram (@christsoldiergirlfitness) and Facebook (lolah christsoldiergirl Akingbade).

1. lindo

October 26, 2014 at 10:32 am

Can we pls have weight gain tips..consider people like me that need to add weight pls.

• healthyliving

October 26, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I should have typed it out here but I’m really lazy tonight.
      I got my tips from Ifu ennada’s blog. It’s an old post tho and I can’t recall the title, but if u really want this, u should search. It wouldn’t take so much coz posts are not up to a million, lol

• healthyliving

October 26, 2014 at 11:56 pm

iamifuennada.blogspot.com/2014/09/healthy-ways-to-gain-weight.html?m=1
      OK, so I got u the link

• healthyliving

October 27, 2014 at 8:45 am

iamifuennada.blogspot.com/2014/09/healthy-ways-to-gain-weight.html?m=1
      Got the link

• lindo

October 27, 2014 at 9:23 am

Yay!…thanks alot..i do appreciate.

2. Chika

October 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

yup! That’s my girl Lolah! I still need to lose this belly fat mehn smh. I keep skipping meals thinking that if I have less food in there, my tummy will magically shrink lol.

• Me!

October 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Exactly, thats what I’m going through as well…

3. bank

October 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Different strokes for different folks……number 1 skipping breakfast does work for me I’m afraid. I don’t eat breakfast, and that kills my appetite for the rest of the day, at least till evening. It has worked forme, and I ve lost considerable amount of weight. The day i try putting anything in mouth in the morning, except coffee, I find myself shoving any food insight down my throat. Breakfast is a no no for me, I’m afraid.

• corolla

October 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Same here. I usually do not eat breakfast, but on the days I decide to, I become hungrier and I start consuming everything in sight.

• Tofunmi

October 26, 2014 at 3:59 pm

That’s actually a bad thing, eventually your body will go into starvation mode and anything you eat will be stored as fat instead of burned off as energy

• Ada_ugo

December 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

No, please do not spread rumours. The body needs to have undergone a prolonged period without food for starvation mode to kick in. Skipping one heavy meal, having a cup of coffee, and eating moderate sized snacks here and there hardly counts as starvation.

4. Just me

October 26, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Healthy eating, consistent exercise, you will be fine.
    One thing is that, the weight does come off but it’s never an immediate thing.

5. Marc Francis of Chelsea

October 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Now tell me something I haven’t read 10 times before.

6. Pat

October 26, 2014 at 6:56 pm

About 70% of weight loss is diet and 30% exercise.. Diet play a major role in losing weight than exercise. Some few things to minimize or cut out from our diet are diary products including chicken and meat which rots in the stomach.

• Gilda

October 26, 2014 at 11:46 pm

You’re kidding right? Chicken? Without the skin its actually the healthiest after fish. Come again.

7. tunmi

October 27, 2014 at 12:05 am

This is the problem with weight. A scale does not tell you which is fat and which is muscle.

• MC

October 27, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Some scales do 🙂

8. Zeal

October 27, 2014 at 6:13 am

Hi. Please I will like for you to please recommend a good Gym around Majek ( along lekki-epe, Ibeju express way) for me. Thanks

9. Miss Mo

October 27, 2014 at 7:14 am

Great article. Lots of useful tips.

Also especially folks living abroad, try sticking to more natural and organic foods than processed, chemically ridden food. Cut off fast foods and cook more. Helped me a ton.

Now how I wish this tummy of mine will go away completely too. Lol

10. Alexandra

November 1, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Excellent post! It can be confusing trying to eat right!

11. Enlighten

November 13, 2014 at 8:59 am

Dear Lola Akingbade,

While you may be trying to help others, help yourself too by observing how your western counterparts write to avoid being sued.
    For example, they say “a can of soda” NOT “a can of coke”

Also do not pt out your opinions as facts. Can be misleading

12. Anne Kim

December 31, 2014 at 4:43 am

I love how you address what I call the Psychology of Making Changes: such as looking at the positives and not running with the negatives, and setting unrealistic goals. In this society we can easily be confused by all the advice out there, listening to your body and learning to interpret signals is very important. Keep up the good work.

13. tunde