Get ready Africa! The Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Africa themed “Our Heritage Reimagined” is set to hit the runway this month.
The line-up for this year’s fashion event has been unveiled and it had some of your favourite designers on. Starting on Wednesday 29th October – Saturday 1st November 2014, the 4-day event will have designers from Nigeria, South Africa, Mozambique, Ghana and more showcase their pieces to fashion lovers, media and professionals.
According to Sizwe Nzimande (African Fashion Internatinal (AFI) Marketing manager) – “This year, we celebrate how far African fashion has come by bringing together the best design talent from the continent and its diaspora, who are both rooted in their African identity and reinterpreting it in an internationally relevant way. This will be powerfully reflected in the eclecticism, originality and spontaneity of all the collections on display“.
Unlike last years’ event, Nigerian designers will be present namely Mai Atafo Inspired, Ituen Basi alongside other labels like Ghana’s Christie Brown, Mozambique’s Taibo Bacar and South Africa’s David Tlale.
View the schedule
Day 1 | Wednesday 29th October 2014
– Kibonen & Intisaar – Cameroon/Zimbabwe
– Mille Collines – Rwanda & Kenya
– Taibo Bacar – Mozambique
– Elle Rising Star 2014 with contestants – Chris Dawson, Tamara Cherie Dyson, Frances Pauls, Kelli Botha, Nadia Viljoen, Jeandri Britz and Michelle van der Westhuizen
Day 2 | Thursday 30th October 2014
– Tina Lobondi & Josh & Nicol – Congo/Nigeria
– Marianne Fassler – South Africa
– Spero Villioti – South Africa
– Mai Atafo Inspired – Nigeria
Day 3 | Friday 31st October 2014
– Sheria Ngwoi & John Kaveke – Tanzania/Kenya
– Carducci Man & Woman – South Africa
– Christie Brown & Ituen Basi– Ghana/Nigeria
– Loza Maleombo & KikoRomeo – Cote d’Ivoire/Kenya
Day 4 | Saturday 1st November 2014
– David Tlale – South Africa
– AFI Fasttrack Winners Showcase – Richi Mnisi, Jessica Ross, Nazneen Kagee and Tuelo Nguyuza competing for the AFI Young Designer of the Year title.
– City of Tshwane Presents – Archiebald Monyepao, Dennis Maponya & Neville Masondo
– Masondo – South Africa
– Murade & 1981 by Nana Brenu– Mozambique/Ghana
– Laurence Airline & Maxhosa by Laduma – Cote d’Ivoire
Following four full days of fashion, on 2nd November a ceremony will be held to recognize African Fashion’s finest at the prestigious, annual African Fashion Awards.
“Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Africa was the first fashion podium to draw the best of design from the continent and African diaspora. This unprecedented event has finally turned the international spotlight onto local designers – recognizing them as more than dressmakers and celebrating them as trendsetters” adds Nzimade.
The African Fashion Trade Expo (AFTE) will be holding at Melrose Arch which will run concurrently with MBFWAfrica 2014, offering Africa’s latest brands and trends while providing invaluable networking opportunities to buyers, consumers, media and other fashion followers.
We have so many designers who blew us away at last year’s show and we can’t wait to see what they bring this year. Keep it locked on BN for more on the event.
*The above schedule is subject to change*