Features

Isio Knows Better: Some Little Humans

Ehen, my people! I heard this gist o, over the weekend.

The gist was told of a little boy of six who was the son of a millionaire (wait, scratch that, billionaire… because millionaire is Naira is nothing so extraordinary these days).

Okay, so this billionaire’s son was to be picked up from school, and the driver had turned up in the family’s Toyota Camry to pick up Nna Pikin. Only for the little one to look with disdain at the car the driver rolled up to his school in, and then he told his father’s driver that he would not be riding home in that car. He said in his baby voice please-please-what-is-this? Goan-bring-the-jeep-no-way-am-I-riding-in-that!

MY PEOPLE! IF YOU WERE THE PARENT OF THAT CHILD, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!

Wait first, before you answer that, let me tell you what the father did after the driver called him to report the issue to him. The father said, “Oh, that’s alright. You come home immediately and get the Porsche Cayenne for him to ride in…”

And that was how the story went o! The driver went home to get Nna Pikin the car he requested for.

Whatttttt! If I hear.

This is what I would do to you. First of all, I will tell the driver to just park the Camry there in front of your koro-koro eye. Then I will tell him that I will tip him heavily to just sit down there with you.. for however long it takes. He will sit there just staring at you. One, two, three hours… you will stand outside that your school oooooooooooooooooooooooo… You will watch all your friends go home. But you, you will stand. When those your small baby legs are tired of standing, you will sit down on the floor. After the fifth hour, when hunger don mama that your head well-well. You will beg to go home in that Camry. And then when you come home, if you throw that oyinbo pikin tantrum a.k.a I-hate-you-mommy-amma-call-daddy-to-report! Walahi, I will give you transport fare to go and report.

Ahan! Iwa rada rada. Ki lo ko si e ni sokoto, k’o ma wu’wa awon omo ti’o l’eko. Oma ga o! (Ahan! Useless behaviour. What entered your trousers that would make you act like a child without home training? Na wa o!)

Anyways, that’s for me sha.

Just last week I had to go buy something from a supermarket. As usual, it was characteristically packed at the checkout counter- and as a civilized people, the customers decided to queue up. We were all minding our businesses when we heard a child’s voice behind me yell…

“Get out of MY way, I want to pass!” He stomped his little feet at me.

Saywhatnow?!

My dragon-eyes awoke instanta from hibernation and fired ten billion dangerous watts of who-is-your-mate-here-little-one?!

The lollipop he was holding fell out of his fingers as he looked to the floor, shuffled his feet and twiddled his thumb. That’s  better.

All I had for his mother was my steadiest, blankest gaze that said, Really?!

She too averted her gaze and rubbed her son’s shoulder in solidarity.

I love kids, I really do. What irks me slightly like are badly behaved kids. Apparently some believe that in our generation as parents, anything goes as long as you are considered “cool”, and “hip”.

Hmmmmnmnnnnn.

To each their own, but my first commitment to God and my kids is to create, train and help sustain a younger generation that is better and stronger than mine ever was. It is not an easy job always, but it is for their own good.

Three things I don’t get.

One: Young kids who are old enough to talk and know better who don’t greet adults, especially their parents’ friends. They come with their parents to come see you and then they just stare at you like you are an Egyptian statue. And the parents would just continue the conversation with you without calling the child to order, as if having respect for your elders is an out-dated cultural value that their kids need not possess.

Two: Kids disrespecting and talking down at their parents in public and the parents trying to be “cool” with it. Hmnnnn. Na wa o. I don’t support flogging kids sha, but one a severe ten-second long ear twist never killed anyone. (Okay maybe fifteen seconds).

Three: Kids who are clearly over-weight. This is an injustice to the child. Except the child has a severe medical condition that affects his metabolism and retains fat and water, it is unfair to feed a child so much junk that the child becomes visibly unhealthy and overweight.

A little rain, sun, sand and water could go a long way in a child’s health and overall well-being… just a little. Football, basket-ball, volley-ball, ten-ten, suwe, running, skipping, gardening. These were the games we played in our generation. It didn’t kill us.

Nowadays, most parents just download all kinds of games on their iPads and give to the child to play with. Oh-my-gosh-my-child-is-so-smart!

That was how I heard of a Nigerian teenager who thought Owerri was in the North of Nigeria. It was funny and I laughed, but seriously. What are some of these ridiculously expensive schools teaching our kids? Hashtag #CoolKidsClub, but ya pikin no sabi anything about e people. Okay o.

But then, how can you blame a child? Where does the fault lie? What is the line between providing for your kids and spoiling them?

Perhaps you have an unruly child, he wasn’t always like that but turned on you suddenly to your horror. Where do you think you went wrong? What have you done to fix it? Still struggling? Please share and let us brainstorm.

Perhaps you once had an unruly child but you have managed to successfully re-orient him to act better. How did you do it? Please share that others might learn from your success story.

And lastly, if Nna Pikin was your son, what would you do to his snobbery of the Camry?

1. Hafsat Blacksoap Oils & Butter

December 16, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Isio darling!!!
    God bless you!!! God prosper you girl!!!! This has bothered me for so many years and obviously im not alone. Parents cant control or correct nor train their kids. And they do it with pride. You dare not try a millionth of what these kids do with their parents with my mum.
    You will never recover from the beatings and the words!!
    Please awon Lekki, Ikoyi, Magodo dwelling parents, train your kids well. Dont breed fake men & women!!
    Theres a special portion in hell reserved for parents like you,( I think?)

2. ejogene

December 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Isio thank you very much for this topic! I await the comments!

3. Nnenna

December 16, 2014 at 3:12 pm

How much i dislike the behavior of a rude child. in addition to what you will do to him about the camry, maybe i will tell the driver to take him to school with a cab the next day. i for say bus because it wont kill him still… what rubbish… if a child is rude to me, i wont hesitate to caution him immediately even if the parents are there, i wont take it at all except it wasnt directed at me. for the greeting part, i will say it with all niceness… as for my children, they must learn, they must learn, the old fashion yet the comfortable way. i wont take rubbish at all. i dont have strength to beat a child b4 you die in my hand but the silent punishment no be here… nansense… i love children btw and i want only 2. dear future husband. please take note

• mo baby

December 19, 2014 at 2:03 am

i swear you read my mind. my own is that the driver would come home and drop the camry o. then he would go back and pick nna pikin with okada. shey cab would still cover his shame. the next morning, if he has repented. nna pikin will take bus to school. no time to raise yama yama pikin abeg. yes i have bad mouth.

4. amebo

December 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm

I will beat that child to pulp!!!!

5. oj

December 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm

parents and children of nowadays!
    I shudder to think what the next generation will be like.
    As for the billionaire pikin, I will do exactly what u would do. Na him buy the car? Arrant nonsense.
    I blame parents for their children’s misbehavior. Parents of this generation feel that scolding their children means they are not cool and they don’t love them. try scolding a child in front of their parents. the kain eye where they go give u eh! I once had a neighbor (let’s call her Mrs. K)who would even fight u for reporting her child to her or worse, to her husband. A neighbor (let’s call him Mr. M) saw her teenage daughter who supposedly went to evening mass in a dark corner with a boy. Mr. M scolded her and made her go back home. When he got to the house, knowing how unreasonable Mrs. K is, he went to Mr. K and informed him of what he saw. When Mrs. K found out, when her husband was scolding the daughter, she came out and started to rain curses on Mr. M. This same woman would bribe her child’s teachers to promote her child to the next class when he’s supposed to repeat to save face. Wonder what the children would turn into when they grow up.

6. Personal Assistant

December 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Nna Pikin will not smell the interior of a keke to school, how much more a Camry for one week. When he don trek for one week, e go know say monkey get grade and slippers get size. Growing up, if u make fiam for public (who even born me well to throw tantrums in public), my mama go squeeze that mouth that you would not be able to chew food well for some days.
    I miss the days of ten ten, suwe, who is in the garden, Stay like that, Change your style, and that yeye game that forced you to cross your fingers or legs or any part of your body to avoid been caught unaware.
    These days nobody has time for outward games, even kids with bicycles ride them indoors except they are lucky to stay in the compound alone. My friend bought her 3yr daughter an iPad because the daughter always plays with her’s (mother). Now she is even saying the Ipad is old. Its time to get a new one. Everyone with his/her own style of raising their kids
    Lord help me follow Proverbs 22:6. Simple

• Vics

December 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Exactly! @Personal Assistant…..Walking to school with a chaperone for atleast one week is the right punishment. After he has experienced what it feels like to trek home after a tired day at school, then he will appreciate the significance of riding in ANY car. But I do not support beating a child

• TA

December 16, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I support beating a child o. My parents beat me with a cane and I did not die. The key is not to be brutal or cruel about it but some children deserve a cane to their backside. Others are fine with just verbal corrections. What works for one child may not work for the other, its up to the parents to decide. But lord knows I won’t shy away from using the cane if necessary.

• Que

December 16, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Hehehe, I had d same idea of making him walk….not for a week though but here’s my walking plan…. should a driver whose salary I am paying call me with such gist…. I shall send a back up chaperone (just in case d driver went alone)… then the chaperone shall hold his hand and walk with him as d camry rides on slowly in front of him with double blinkers!…. when his feet gets tired, he will have to beg and get the driver’s express approval to be allowed on board.

7. bruno

December 16, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I thought is only me that notice. rich pwipke kids are usually very FAT and over weigh. I see them regularly at shop rite and silver bird. and the parent will continue feeding them.

meat pie, doughnuts, ice cream,burger. this child kept on ordering and ordering and the mother just stood there, ready to pay. so fat and robust.

it irritated me, I dont mean to yab a child but that boy reminded me of a fat little pig.lol

• bruno

December 16, 2014 at 5:04 pm

@bruno .oga oh, what is the matter, so many baguan. lol

I thought it was only me that noticed. rich people’s kids are usually very fat and over weighed. I see them regularly at shop rite and silver bird and
      their parents will continue feeding them.

meat pie, doughnuts, ice cream,burger. this
      child kept on ordering and ordering and the
      mother just stood there, ready to pay. so fat
      and robust.

it irritated me, I dont mean to yab a child but
      that boy reminded me of a fat little pig.lol

(auto correct is so annoying)

• Zeek

December 16, 2014 at 7:40 pm

oh u reply to your own comment/ forgot to change your name while responding 🙂

• bruno

December 16, 2014 at 9:00 pm

@zeek. its only a dumb person that will not understand my comment. I was making fun of my self and my typing errors.

• bruno

December 16, 2014 at 9:19 pm

@zeek, I purposely wrote the comment like that. referring to myself as a third person.

• nakoms

December 17, 2014 at 3:40 am

Indeed!

8. Oma Oma

December 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Whaaaaaat!!!! I would have done the same oh, I will tell the driver to wait there till he starts to beg and plead and crawl on the ground stating how he wants to go home!!! Then when he comes home eh,the ABARA I’ll give him won’t be from this part of the world……My little step-sister knows me, when she’s trying to be naughty and I appear in the scene, she sef know na! Lol
    Well done Isio,humorous writeup as usual….

9. Asabe

December 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Isio,
    I wish I had come earlier has a male, privileged and lucky enough to have you as a wife……
    I think its something that has to do with raising kids like oyinbo people, don’t beat, don’t discipline, just let them grow to their potential of goodness and badness while you chase your own personal life goals… then I also guess the overweight thingy is seen as an indication of the child being well-taken care of and the parents being wealthy or something… may God save us..

10. anon

December 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

This exact situation is what my little brother did, he is the last child and we the older ones didnt have as much luxury as he has. The day he insisted on this and we witnessed it my dad said he should walk to school. No jokes, honestly i detest badly behaved kids. It is only a sign that their parents are equally non-chalant. Kids should be properly trained, remember we are accountable to God as well.

• TA

December 16, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Your dad is exactly my kind of person. Isio was busy talking of driver waiting for hours,ha! you try my sister. Me? That child shall walk home! And he will be walking home till he apologises profusely to me and the driver for his rudeness. Who born am? Unless nor be me.

11. AdaADA

December 16, 2014 at 3:37 pm

If nnapikin was my child ( I doubt any of my unborn children will be so stupid) he will stay under that hot sun and tan wellwell! and come home to a massive dressing down. That sort of behaviour reeks of entitlement. However, I must say that I have met unruly children who reside in other parts of lagos and such behaviour isn’t limited to children living in ikoyi etc. I must also add that overweight children irk me! Children are meant to be active, running around, creating things, playing with friends or imaginary friends, pretending to cook with sand like I did as a child not sitting in front of a computer screen or television all day.

Isio I love your writing style! So effective and engaging x

12. Oma Oma

December 16, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Someone told me they’re not fans of beating children and I told them “My dear, if I wasn’t smacked by my gran growing up, I wouldn’t have become the lady I am today”,…..

• slice

December 16, 2014 at 6:24 pm

i’m not a fan of beating either and as I’m privileged to help with raising other people’s kids i’m more and more not a fan of beating. kids just need boundaries which you establish by always keeping your word. if you tell a child, i won’t give you meatpie if you don’t stop what you’re doing, then don’t give them meat pie. They learn gradually that you’re serious and they also learn what the rules are. I think the real problem with bad parenting is lack of consistency and sufficient attention. sometimes kids act out b/c they miss you or their bored and the only time they get any real attention is when they are bad

13. Brownsugar

December 16, 2014 at 3:41 pm

What Rubbish! that driver should have dropped the camry and come back for the child with an okada or keke! i say again what rubbish.!
    Parents have a major role to play in their children’s upbringing, Please oh, parents for your information you will be held accountable before God Almighty for your children so if you do good it will come back to you, if you do bad it will also backfire.
    Train up a child in the way he should grow and he will be a delight to you not a terror in your old age.
    Lastly be a parent first before being their “hip cool friend” as for my own future babies “i triple dare” you to act like a brat if i might borrow isio’s phrase..
    I rest my case.

14. Miss H

December 16, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This is so hilarious….Dear future son, I double dare you. In fact, I triple dare you to please please pleaseeeeeeee try that with me. Please now. Just do it once. Kpere! You will know that your mother is a Delta woman. Hian! In fact, that is the day you will know that ogogoro and champagne dem no be mate. But on a serious note its high time our parents learn to instill discipline in their kids because it will go a long way in their lives.

15. dani

December 16, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Particularly like the part of downloading games on iPad and thinking the kid is smart…..,,,,,honestly still can’t fathom why parents buy these devices for their kids. Kids these days r introduced to the fallacy of world where they get things without struggling. Many years sown the line, success is their right not to be earned. And we wonder why corruption and the overall decadence in our society won’t just end.

16. Springsteps

December 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Isio your article is on point today.
    if that was my child, i will remind him that there are steps to greatness so he must not despise his humble beginnings. He would stay in that school till the gate is shut. i would tell the drive to relax in the car with d AC turned on, when e tire, him sef go waka come.
    we should start teaching our kids to appreciate whatever the have and count themselves priveledged as not so may kids are that lucky.

TRAIN a child in the way he should grow and when he GROWS UP, he would not DEPART from it. Na so tommorow if the papa not fit susutain the train, he would go and borrow or steal to keep up.

17. omoibo

December 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm

When you see unruly and rude kids you need not look any further past their parents. Kids are continually testing the boundaries of what they can get away with, and as a parents we need to check them before they become monsters & out of control! Once the molding stages of out kids have passed, e don finish be that. ..
    Kids should be made to understand at an early age that the privileges that they enjoy isn’t because they are entitled to it but because as parents we have sacrificed for them to enjoy those privileges and should never be taken for granted.
    As for the 6 yr old brat that asked the driver to bring the SUV and his dad said it was okay, wait till he gets into his teenage years then his parents will begin to get a taste of the brat they have created…

18. Author Unknown

December 16, 2014 at 3:52 pm

This is the outcome of sparing the rod people. And as for that child in the first story. Where are the kidnappers when you need them? LOL. Meanwhile Isio, that’s an age-old story. I don’t think it’s ever quite happened.

19. TK

December 16, 2014 at 4:24 pm

2 Slaps. both sides of the face. Manual Reset.

20. SuperNova

December 16, 2014 at 4:29 pm

There’s a saying I always abide with. ” Children are opportunists. It’s our duty to teach them humility”. That’s why I’m always thankful to my mum. We used to think she was evil while growing up but now, we love and adore her for bringing us up properly. Chai! People can let kids get away with things sha o. Show that kid small pepper once, he’ll never try you again. God give us strength. Nice write up Miss Isio. So on point!

21. Person

December 16, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Hian! Let me tell you one story: when I was in Queen’s College, my Dad or the driver used to pick me up from school. So one day like that, my Dad said he came to pick me. I did not see him o, but he sha said he came. When it was getting too late, I finally followed some of my friends and took danfo home. I was maybe 13 in SS1. My beautiful people of BN, guess what? That was the last time ANYBODY came to pick me up from or drop me off at school. I repeat, that WAS THE LAST TIME. My Dad said shebi I know the way now? Hence, commenced the trekking and busing of life. All the way till I finished! Imagine me now telling my Dad they should bring one type of car to pick me up? hahahahaha. Na die be that one. No question my life would never be the same. Infact ehn, future unborn children, please try this with your mother. Just once. You will know that eran tafa ti ko ja, oun loun je namo!

22. Meerah

December 16, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Lool. In the same situation, I will ask the driver to bundle Nna Pikin into the car even if he is screaming. And when he gets home, he had better have reversed his thinking or he would receive a tight slap for that arrogance.
    Honestly, I blame parents for not properly bringing up ill-mannered children. Wanting to be seen as #hip/#coolparents is not the way forward if ur kids are pompous, ungrateful and selfish. They can’t be the leaders of tomorrow with that attitude. And if they were to encounter misfortune based on those negative traits, they would blame you, the “hip” parents for it. Please, parents, discipline your children.

23. foo fighters

December 16, 2014 at 4:34 pm

The one that pains me the most is overgrown and under dressed children. I was having lunch at the hotel one day when this woman and her obviously ajebutter and ajemayonnaise children came in.
    She had two daughters; you know those kids now that start developing boobs and butt before their time due to excess fat. They were putting on halter neck tops and hot pants with their premature boobs jiggling and their butt cheeks hanging out.
    My body was peppering me from my table. With every step, and every jiggle, I wanted to give their mother a lecture. Why would you make your child an object of some pervert’s lust or focus. Cover up your child for petes sake.
    I know they are young and you would like them to wear children’s clothing but if things are sprouting here and there, biko cover them up and get them a trainer bra while at it.

• baboushka

December 16, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Parents need to dress their kids in age appropriate clothes. That is how I attended this wedding where I could not recognise a 13 year old that I know. This child that is always in jeans, shorts and tees now had full face makeup her hair was laid, kitten heels wearing a short strapless dress. It was terrible and she is a bit big bodied for her age see how grown men were ogling this child it was so terrible!

24. Frances Okoro

December 16, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Isio…great article as usual! lighthearted but addressing a very important issue..
    E get reason why the Bible say mischief lies in the heart of a child but a little spanking drives it away(paraphrased)
    A little cane nor go kill them, it made most of us who we are today..t to flog to die oh, but enough to correct kids.#tough love.

And not to mock anyone but orobo kids full VI…we who were plumpy knows just how much teasings comes from classmates.having exercises for kids and regulating how they eat will indeed help.*i’m taking down notes*

As for the camry matter? No words! Just Nawa, nawa!

imperfectlyperfectlives.com

25. Avon

December 16, 2014 at 4:37 pm

i’ve been refreshing this website since morning.Why did it take you so long ???
    I’ll just sit down and enjoy the comments. As for me, I discipline other people’s children for free. From twisting mouth to twisting ears to smacking butts. As the spirit leads joor. Who born you well to talk to an elder anyhow in the 80’s or early 90’s. The mother can thank me later. Arrant Nonsence !!!!!

• Nahum

December 17, 2014 at 3:28 am

Touch my child and you die!! I completely agree that kids should be properly trained, but sometimes, despite the best efforts of the parents, kids act out. If someone like you should attempt to touch my kids rather than reporting them to me and allowing me to do my job, I will brush you so hard. No matter what, you have NO RIGHT to touch other people’s kids!

• Nahum

December 17, 2014 at 3:44 am

I believe that children need to be disciplined and the two kids in Isio’s write up clearly needed some discipline, but what irks me about Nigerians is this desire to dictate when and how the kids get the discipline. Report the child and leave the parents to handle it. Kids act out for various reasons, only the parent knows why. Stop demanding instant retribution from parents. You don’t know what is going on in that family and why the child is acting out. Just do your job and report and keep it moving.

Oya, let the insults flow

• Pretenseslayer

December 17, 2014 at 7:04 am

As long as your kids don’t touch me,we are good. If your kids are one of those who hit aunties while throwing a tantrum,best expect I shall strike him or her back-hard! Nonsense.

• honey

December 17, 2014 at 9:25 am

You can see nobody liked you comment. That is because i can see those kids mentioned in Isio’s post being your kids. Continuuu!!!! (In Dame’s voice)

• Nahum

December 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

@honey, unlike you, I am not commenting for people to like my comments. I don’t seek popularity on blogs. My children are well behave and a pleasure to be around. And that is because I take time to raise them properly and I do not hand them over to random househelps and relatives to raise. There are different ways to raise kids and hitting them is not always the right way. Nobody has any right to touch my kids!!! If my child did something to you, report him/her to me and let me handle it. Whether you like my approach or not, that is your business, but I pity the fool that will lay their hands on my children

26. chee

December 16, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Give me a million reasons why I won’t keep a date with Isio every tuesday,fyne babe with good brains(rare combo). De lavega u just encouraged one die hard mum becos child training ain’t easy I must confess. Recently I was wondering if I was becoming too strict with my kids but BN family is still telling me it’s d right thing to do,parents are really spoiling this kids and when they(i call dem formatinas lols)see me spank or correct my kids in public sometimes they stare and frown sotey I warn my kids when in d car on our way out and if they want to throw stupid tantrums in public just a cold stare frm moi keeps dem in check cos they know what I can do when I get home. With this piece by Isio I pledge to stick to my holiday plan during the holiday,one child will be an assistant chef every morning(will get my kids an apron so they’ll see it as fun)while d other will clean,they’ll take turns at this,any mom joining my pledge?cheer people!..pardon d epistle.

27. Jessy's Closet

December 16, 2014 at 4:44 pm

My friend’s aunt will ask her kids to stand at a certain part of their well furnished and air conditioned sitting room nicknamed “naughty corner” whenever they misbehaved, no matter how grave the mis-conduct is oohh… the thing can like to pepper me enhh. Haba!

What happened to smacking a child or even seriously scolding that child??
    If the silly boy in question was my child, he would probably ride home in an okada after his brain has re-booted and the tough guy ‘mr get out of my way’ (Smh) there is no saying what i would have done yo.

28. TA

December 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I kinda feel same way too. Have heard different versions of this story over the years and not sure if it ever really happened or maybe it just keeps happening.

29. ada

December 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Growing up my parents would not buy us phone or those playstations for my brother then when it just came out.. u have ur own money go n get yours my dad would say..i dint get it then but it was about working hard for what you want in life…children of these days mennnnnn isi e no get part two. One driver per child even if they all go to same school, 3 drivers will come to pick them separately, and they even have the liver to tell the driver to wait their not done talking with their friends:like imagine the tetele person talking…
    ooo i just sip my tea and mind my business..

30. Friday's Other Child

December 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I have different thoughts about the ‘Billionaire’s son’s’ story. If I had it, I wouldn’t be at all concerned if my child- at any age – said they wanted to ride in a different or better car. What I would be very concerned about is that the child felt it was okay to send an adult back home to pick that car up. I want my children growing up feeling entitled to be the best and have the best of everything, my children will definitely grow up feeling and thinking this world is theirs, because it is. However, they must also understand respect, the value of hard work and that good character is a virtue. So tell you what, if at 5 you come back from school every day with a gold star for good behaviour, and you’re pleasant and polite to all around you, you’ll ride in whatever car you want.

• Blessmyheart

December 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I have some reservations about kids feeling entitled to the best. I’d rather teach my kids the importance of hard work, humility and respect for everyone. Yes, they can be the best and have the best but they won’t get it on a platter of gold. Nocchild of mine will choose what car they’re driven in unless it’s bought with their money.

• Friday's OtherChild

December 17, 2014 at 7:29 am

Feeling entitled to being the best, or having the best, hard work and everything else you’ve mentioned aren’t binary concepts.

31. Lesson Learned

December 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I remember when I was 11 years old, I was asked to go take a shower around 5pm and I refused that I usually take my bathe by 7pm. I will never forget the kind of punishment that I received that day, I pick pinned until 7pm my people. Ah, after that day I even take my bath by to 5. Lesson learned! Really naija parents need to instill humility into their kids, yes I will love and adorn my children at the same time they have to know that mom and dad money/property is not theirs. Enough said..

32. Neo

December 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Dem nor born the pikin when go try that one with me. I will enter labour room and push your big head out my hooha and u will come and choose car u will enter? U can’t na, u can’t even choose food in my house. You will eat whatever you are given and when u finish you will thank Mummy and Daddy and Jesus. Then on those few occasions that Devil will possess you small ( it happens to the best of us) I will reset you with one smooth feller cane. My mother brought me up with “the rod” she did not finish it on me so I will use the remaining on you. Walk into a room you will greet everybody, if they don’t answer you they didn’t hear, go in front of them and greet. I can’t stand spoiled kids. Even if your father and I are using dollars to fan ourselves in the Artic I will keep knocking your head to make sure it’s still on your shoulders. Post code cannot determine my child’s personality Biko, Banana Island or AJ City you must have manners and common sense.

• rs

December 16, 2014 at 6:50 pm

“Post code cannot determine my child’s personality Biko, Banana Island or AJ City you must have manners and common sense”<,====== ahhh i love you, i'm stealing this for future references.

• mo baby

December 19, 2014 at 2:20 am

the best comment i’ve seen so far!!!!

33. chinco

December 16, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Wonderful topic….problem is that most parents are enablers…I don’t blame the kids cus they don’t know better. Parents don’t know that if you don’t teach the right values, the child will either learn the hard way by the society or be a burden to the parents …so much to be said about this topic but I’m tired so I rest my case, lol

34. Blueberry

December 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Great article. In my opinion when a child steps beyond the boundaries, and becomes rude and unruly to his/her parents, the records should be set straight without delay. Although a child should be brought up to have its own opinion, the lack of respect towards grown ups should not be condoned.
    My 16 year old little brother verbally disrespected my mom after drinking at a wedding to near stupor and told us, he is no longer a child and will not be controled. I mercilessly beat the living daylight out of him. After that, I took away every single gadget he owned and cherished. From his phone, through his i-pad to his laptop. I mean EVERYTHING and told him since he is now a “MAN”, and no longer a child, he can as well buy his own i-pad, laptop, phone, earphones etc with his OWN money.

In my opinion, so long as you live under my roof, and I (as your guardian or parent ) pay your school fees, and attend to every single one of your needs, at 16, you are a child and will NOT disrespect me, your big brothers and sisters, your parents or any grown up EVER. You will abide to the rules of my home until you start earning your own money and start your own family.
    I heard this from Chuck Swindoll sometime ago and I hope this will be helpful to some people: 12 rules for raising delinquent children

1. Begin at infancy to give the child everything he wants. That way he will grow up believeing the world owes him a living
    2. When he picks up bad words, laugh at him. This will make him think he is cute.
    3. Never give them spiritual training. Wait until he is 21 and then quote “let him decide for himself.”
    4. Avoid the use of the word “wrong” because to you it may develop a guilt complex. This will condition him to believe later when he is arrested for stealing a car, that society is against him and he is being persecuted
    5. Do everything for him, so he will be experienced on throwing all responsibilities on others.
    6. Give a child every spending money he wants. Never make him earn his own.

The rest continues here: av1611.org/othpubls/raisekid.html

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 17, 2014 at 11:30 am

I love Chuck Swindoll and his practical soundbytes from “Insight for Living” 🙂

• Magz

December 17, 2014 at 1:17 pm

May i just say i lobe you! Lol! I love how you dealt with your brother, reminds me of how i dealt with our last born (18yr old girl). she is in her first year in Uni and thinks she can be rude to anybody. She disrespected my mum while i was actually on the phone with my mum. Immediately i ended the call with my mum and called her, only for her not to pick my call. I went ahead to send her a text message that henceforth, i’m washing my hands off her, she should not call me for anything until she apologizes to my mum (this really pained her cos she has a steady monthly “pocket money” from me). Honestly, it was hard for me to do as we lost our dad last yr and she has been feeling the heat as she is the only one who is still fresh in school; but i stood my ground. few days later, my mum called me to say she has apologized, with tears sef. Ta lo r’aye osi (who has time for nonsense)

35. Oluwabusola Adedire

December 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

If the parents are not humble, there is no way on God’s green earth the kids will ever be humble. One thing I am grateful for, is that my parents taught my siblings and I humility and the values of hard work. Despite the fact that they could provide us with anything, they never pampered us with excessive money…When we had house helps, we did the house chores together.. Little things like that goes a long way in a child’s life. Life is full of uncertainties, you have to build up your children to be grateful for their privileges, and teach them the importance of hard work. No matter how much my parents earn, they have held me responsible for my own success. There are so many things, I want to change with my kids… Especially, gender roles and expectations. My boy(s) must learn how to respect/ treat women right from day one. For every badly behaved adult I encounter, a part of my starts to wonder how exactly they were raised 🙁

• Oluwabusola Adedire

December 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm

‘ a part of me’

36. baboushka

December 16, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I don’t have kids but I have plenty experience with kids having helped raised my nieces and nephews from birth as in wake up in the night to change diaper and bottle feed kind of raising.
    Overweight kids it starts with it’s just baby fat they will outgrow it meanwhile the mother is feeding them all sorts of junk before you know it baby fat is now obesity fat

Unruly kids honestly I blame the parents my nieces, nephews and friends kids know not to mess with me. You don”t greet me I will call you out and make you greet me in front of your parents. You are running around destroying things in my house and your parents are ignoring you I will call you out and spank you if necessary. And no you will not be allowed into my house again if all you do is run around disorganizing my perfectly arranged house. There is a reason for a TV room use that as a play room if you cannot go outside.

I had a friend who would just let her child run amok in supermarkets and she saw nothing wrong with that until one horrible day when she got more than what she had bargained for when she was charged for items he broke.

One of my friends kids are only allowed one hour of technology at home during the week and up to four hours weekends. They decide how to use it computer games, or TV one or the other not both it has worked out perfectly so far. The rest of the time they are encouraged to play with each other and their toys.

Unfortunately most kids in Africa are being raised by nannies and not their parents that is to blame for a whole lot unruly behaviour. The parents in trying to make up for being away so much coz of work let these little rascals get away with anything.

37. Grown Woman

December 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Parents of this century that even apologise to their kids after scolding them we have a long way to go..God help us parents to be it isn’t an easy task and this technology isn’t helping at all.Gone are the days when parents will smack you and can’t even walk the next day.I remember this one day my aunt borrowed my moms earings then someone commented on how nice they were then I having a big mouth just shouted they are not hers they belong to mom chai I will never forget tht day eh lol my mom was one badass parent or that of sitting in the sitting room and listening to elders conversation chai my mom will just give you one eye and you will remember to run for your life lol

38. ms lala

December 16, 2014 at 6:33 pm

This is what happened!!!!!!! my little cousins were like this til suffer wiya them. they schooled in Corona from K1 to highschool. refused to eat Nigerian made products which included biscuits, chips anything. their foolish mom was always asking us to help her ship containers of Doritos, foreign shit name it all just because, even tho these items could be easily bought in a foreign store on the island or ikeja. all four kids were rude, nasty and cruel to the maid , driver and us their cousins. I came 7 years ago from the US brought things for them, they told me Nwa Chinemere that my items were below their standards. SMH i wanted to slap their faces that day. I left that house immediately ….well guess what, their Father passed away, and inlaws gave my aunt hell, she could not even run the man’s business and the bank repossessed most of their acquired items. now the kids are in penury, after bragging about going to school in Canada or Australia the first daughter has still not gotten admission to LASU why? she keeps failing her entrance exam. the three boys lost all their coool ” rich” friends and now hide from social media. am sure by now they must have acquired the taste for sweet sweet Agege bread.

• D

December 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm

lmso!!! you just had to diss the Agege bread!!!

• Right...

December 16, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’m sorry but I don’t really find your comment very funny. Regardless of how rude they were, they were still kids. And their father passing and them having to live a different lifestyle doesn’t sound very funny to me. That could happen to anyone – rich or poor, spoiled or well behaved, it’s still be a difficult pill to swallow.

39. Chuckleberry

December 16, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I have a 7 year old daughter…….. I couldn’t pick her up from school, so I asked my younger brother to help out. On getting there, she realized it wasn’t my car and threw a tantrum…” I m not entering your car, Its not nice, I want my mum’s car”. My brother shouted at her and she pulled a long face till i returned home. On hearing the report, I scolded , flogged her, my parents were on her case for days. . So I decided that anytime I couldn’t make school runs, rather than bother my brother or mum, I would leave some money with the nanny to pick her up using keke. To my utter amazement, the keke ride excited her and still does till today.
    Well, since the distance is nothing risky ( within the estate) , I allow it once a week mostly Fridays. Now my daughter is learning to appreciate people and situations around her.

40. yea

December 16, 2014 at 7:55 pm

First, I don’t negotiate with a human being that stayed in my womb for nine months,so there.I have a baby less than a year old and I spank her if she starts any behaviour I don’t like, you’ll be shocked that such a small baby knows when I give her a stern look or gently spank her butt, she’ll immediately stop that bad behaviour she wants to start exhibiting.

I pity parents that spoil their children, it’s not a curse but such children can never be responsible to themselves and you in future because you never taught them to be. Such kids will even curse you when they realise that the world does not run the way you made them believe.

And kudos to the few parents who still take the high road with their kids, though you may seem uncool now, u will actually save yourself the stress of talking and praying mountain of fire prayers in your old age.

41. Asa Nwa Baby

December 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Isio, I so love this article. God bless you for sharing and may he continue to grant you the inspiration to write more educative and thought provoking articles. everything you talked about is so real and happens everyday. Parents and soon to be parents need to read this and also practice. May God give us the grace.

42. Memebaby

December 16, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Lol this reminds me of a time my family and I went to Lagos and got stuck in traffic. My dad decided my mom should use the bus with us to our destination. My brother was 8 or 7 yrs old was like ” how do you expect me to enter those dirty buses?” My headmaster papa was furious lol. Both of them ended up taking the bus and got to my uncle’s place at night. lol they went for a long ride with those yellow buses. Let just say my brother has learnt how to be humble and not talk recklessly after several eff ups smh

43. babygiwa

December 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Looooooool. My mom raised me well and I owe it to my kids to raise them well and I can’t even stand badly behaved kids. As for nna pikin, na cab go bring am home n him go chop correct bum spanking… Rubbish

44. Mawbola

December 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Let’s remind ourselves that Nnapikin is just 6 and that he is still a child.For me I’ll just tell him this “oh sweetheart you should learn to appreciate what you have and be content no matter how little,mummy loves you ok”.If he then insists then spanking of life .What I noticed is that even the poor lack the wisdom on how to train their children.Some people in disciplining their children beat and insult their children at the slightest provocation while some in showing affection over-pamper them thereby making them useless to themselves nd their parents.Training a child in an appropriate manner requires wisdom that only God can give

• Nahum

December 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

Thank you o!!! Can you imagine everyone on this blog crying for the blood of a 6 year old child. Na wa o

45. Olori Tari

December 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

About the car… I must be the only one who sees nothing wrong with the child’s reaction. Maybe i don’t necessarily agree with the father’s decision of getting him the other car in replacement. The father could have perhaps “begged” him (I use the word beg here loosely). Carry him with the camry, get home and use that as a basis of discussion for the son. This is what he is used too, him voicing out isn’t a bad thing. I had a similar experience in primary school with the driver and the other time a taxi! I ended up getting on those cars on the two occasions but I was gutted…”why is daddy doing this now” was all I had in my head! I am a well behaved lady! Rudeness wasn’t tolerated in my house…no one had to tell me don’t be rude and be humble, I watched my dad and mum and I knew being unruly didn’t stand a chance.

It is far fetched to just assume and make judgement about the little lad (based on the comments).. you don’t know where the child is coming from. That doesn’t make the child anything at all – it is just that! I just skimmed through the comments and I’m pretty sure I saw something along the lines of “I don’t negotiate with a child I gave birth too”. Looool wow! I don’t ‘unsten’ but it explains a lot about some kids!

If nna pikin was my son… There and there I am going to tell you all the beautiful nonsense you need to hear to get into that car. When we are at home, I will be sitting him down and be letting him know that mama pikin isn’t “cool” with that. Because I hope and will def be bringing up eloquent and outspoken kids not naive or passive… I will expect him to say “WHY”. From there, I shall be picking up all the loopholes in his action and giving him various thought-provoking examples that will hopefully change his view. I was brought up like an adult, I always had my say, they had theirs too. In the end, they always won but not at the expense of severe dominance. If I do say so myself… I didn’t grow up spoilt AT ALL and boy ARE MY MORALS ON POINT.

• mrs chidukane

December 16, 2014 at 11:22 pm

@ olori tari I love your comment. I want to bring up kids that have a voice, that ask why. I don’t want pushovers.I ask a lot of questions and I want my children to be active and not just take my word for it. I was not flogged as a child and I turned out ok. If it were me, I will coax him into the car and talk about it later. I will never forget my mom’s favorite scripture, Godliness with contentment maketh great gain,lol. That was the answer to SO many things

• Hian

December 17, 2014 at 12:44 am

Your children will just be lost. If you like be forming white people style of child raising. Children are children. You lay down the law to them and you enforce it. Having cute dialogues and discussions is all well and good till your children don’t see the consequences of misbehavior or they grow stubborn enough to not even care, after all, shey mummy will blow small grammar and then the matter dies? A firm hand early in the child’s life is needed, not this supernanny oyibo method

• F

December 17, 2014 at 2:20 am

Depending on the age of the child, you can actually reason with them. Cane doesn’t excuse bad parenting. It’s not the solution to everything. There should be more discussion with regards to bad behavior and the right actions and the reason to act right. Maybe that’s why as Nigerians we sometimes act so foolishly, we are used to be caned and once you’re grown, there’s no one to cane you!

• Olori Tari

December 17, 2014 at 3:16 am

“.you like be forming white people style of child raising”… Lol the joke is on you! white people? Lmaoooo. If I didn’t experience this kind of childhood in Nigeira.. I will take your suggestion about not using super nanny methods and they will get used to grammar serious . You are probably used to nagging people, so every grammar has the same effect. Well sorry, not here. Till today…I do it just the way my parents want… I am not a rebel because I have so much faith in their principles and judgement.

It’s funny that you are here claiming monopoly of the truth. Sit down there and bask in the glory that your view is the legitimate and correct one. Also, I wrote just a lil segment of a preferred technique but the smart you assumed that is the only thing training a child will be based on – So much for someone who is NOT lost and wasn’t brought up in the WRONG “oyinbo” way. We see your wealth of knowledge and of course, the greatness of it!

Ps: More importantly, MY CHILDREN WILL NOT JUST BE LOST (main reason I replied you). Good day!

• Friday's OtherChild

December 17, 2014 at 7:16 am

people really underestimate how detrimental it is to raise children who don’t have a voice and aren’t confident in their views. Lots of people raise children to be docile and invisible in Nigeria. In today’s global environment that doesn’t work. I found it interesting that someone responded to your comment saying your children will be lost because of what will be your oyinbo style of parenting. I’ll tell an ancedotal story to counter this; one evening I was talking to my English friend’s 11 year old daughter, we were talking about her future; very confidently she told me by the age of 23 she’d retire, having been the youngest editor of Vogue, set up a charity for children and animals and travel the world. At such a young age, no matter how far fetched her goals might seem to anyone else, she was confident in her own abilities and clear on the current iteration of what she wanted from life. She felt entitled to all these things, to her mind there was no reasons why she shouldn’t accomplish these things, and having observed her with her parents, it’s very much down to the way that she’s been brought up, She has been treated like an adult, allowed to ask questions and reasoned with. She is a well behaved kid, not because she’s fuelled by fear, but because she actually understands the impact of bad and good behaviour on others.

Every year a new cohort of graduate students and recent graduates join my team and I clearly see a difference between many of the few African students and their English counterparts. While both sets are academically brilliant, the latter typically tend to be more comfortable challenging the norm, asserting their views and voices. They don’t have this inbuilt hierarchical deference (different to respect), which stunts the progression of some of the African students, because when you get into big business (and so many other walks of life), no one is looking for a ‘no sir, yes ma’ mentality. No one will give you permission to speak up and show how excellent you are, you just have to be able to do it, and I can see many of the kids struggling with that. Are the English kids disrespectful or any less hardworking? No. I’m with you, my children will have strong morals, both my partner and I will ensure that. However, also importantly, we will not be raising shrink violets or wallflowers. We’ll be raising kids who are confident in their views, know how to reason their way through complex matters and can engage with any strata of society respectfully but not with docility.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

Totally agree. And while I don’t approve the attitude of the legendary Nna Pikin in Isio’s story, I have to concur about Nigerian children not having the right kind of voice that speaks with self-confidence. Notice I said “the right kind of voice” because from the article itself and many comments, it seems many parents encourage their children to voice out their supposed entitlements instead.

A lot of Nigerian are brought up to believe they’re not allowed speak up when adults are talking or interact intellectually with grown-ups so there’s no encouragement to ask questions and seek reasons about things which they may be curious about from a really young age. They get told things instead of being asked about their views on certain issues and while I agree that adults are placed in their lives to lead, that place of leadership should involve giving guidance to young beings who will one day be expected to make and take independently formed decisions as adults themselves.

I have to say there’s a place for discipline and at the same time, there’s also a place for copying the “oyibos” when it comes to preparing children to be self-confident.

• Ella

December 17, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I absolutely agree with Friday’sotherchild. My children will be raised to be respectful, not because they are “scared” of authority but because they understand the value of respect and being a decent human being. Instilling fear is never a good way to raise a child, because if they do not understand WHY they are supposed to act a certain way, you have achieved nothing. When they grow up and no longer fear your consequences, there is nothing holding them to those values you tried to instil. I am working hard to make sure my children have access to the best, however I don’t believed they should feel “entitled” to it. They will learn to be flexible and versatile, accommodating of situations but not passive. If they feel “entitled” to the best, what happens when they are in a situation where only less than the best is available? Will they then stamp their feet and sulk about it? I think not. They will learn to make the most of every situation but at the same time KNOW that they deserve the best and work towards it. Feeling entitled though is a different thing altogether and I will not encourage it.

46. Paula

December 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I could not help but to comment on this topic, God bless you for talking about this. Please parents do remember that whatever you sow, you shall reap.Chikena!

47. olayemi

December 17, 2014 at 12:22 am

That’s how a woman brought a boy to the salon and the boy was busy beating every other person’s child. She spent her visit apologising to everyone in shame and pulling the boy by his shirt home. Absolute disgrace. I will rather train my child properly than have people avoid me when I’m approaching anywhere with my child. God forbid. Ma ti e gba eti e ni. Lol

48. BlueEyed

December 17, 2014 at 2:28 am

I can’t stand ill mannered kids, solely because my mom raised me well, I understand kids would be kids, but kids who play with or destroy properties in other people’s homes is a huge pet-peeve. Put your child in order, I have met some amazing kids (spanked or not spanked) that I even remind their parents to bring over when they come visiting.

49. Ib

December 17, 2014 at 4:09 am

Jesus take the wheel! My kids are in for it.

50. J

December 17, 2014 at 4:34 am

Many Caucasian kids are better behaved than Lagos born kids actually.

51. omolola coker

December 17, 2014 at 5:41 am

My question is what wrong with kneeling in public to greet by a child. Mine did n was told by d adult that its not “‘cool” to do so. Kia mo insist that it is cool with me.

52. Blescin

December 17, 2014 at 7:25 am

Isio pls am loving your sandal on your picture…the strappy sandals u are wearing…Pls where did u get it n how much does it cost

53. Jay

December 17, 2014 at 8:32 am

For a Delta lady, Your yoruba is off the chainz
    I absolutely agree with your points, and u can only give that dagger look if u received it (trust me i know, i have kids adjust under my stare).
    This is not just a rich-kids syndrome though, even the not so well-to-do (forgive my choice of words), in a bid to mimic the rich, train their kids to be disrespectful. To them it is a new fad, and their kids have to be part of it.

54. Noms

December 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

Just yesterday, I was telling my cousin who is a mother of three-(4+, 2 and 5mths) that I think I would be a strict mom. The 4 year old will just open his mouth widdddddeeee and start crying just because he wants something. I keep telling him to open his mouth and talk instead of crying and that crying doesn’t make things happen. She scolds, uses belt but the boy sometimes can be annoying. I have promised to get a cane for him @ least nor be “koboko”.
    I have watched kids grow, nieces, nephews, friends children . . [email protected] kids misbehave to get attention.
    My sister and I were raised by our (teacher) Mum and yes, she flogged us. Uncles, Aunties even join train us when we misbehaved. We were trained to apologize for wrong doing and she and the adults in our lives also apologized when they were wrong.
    I have heard it is easy to “train” other people’s kids and that I should wait till I have mine.
    Its even more annoying when some of these poorly behaved kids are kids of home makers(stay home mums).
    God will help us because nor be by mouth.

• MC

December 17, 2014 at 11:46 am

Uses belt on a 4 year old!? OUCH!!!! really!?
      Thats probably why he doesn’t open his mouth too talk, all he knows is pain and tears.

55. S!

December 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

What exactly is “Oyinbo way of raising a child”? Are you people saying that all the kids in America who weren’t cained are ill mannered? Or that all the kids in Nigeria who have been cained are better behaved?
    I know children who are being beaten with different weapons and body parts who are still stubborn, it’s not all the time beat, sometimes talk.
    And please if you can afford to get gadgets for your children from a young age, please do so. Gadgets with the right materials on them help develop a child’s brain. Tell me one good thing ten-ten or catcher has every done for anyone, unless the fact that it gets pshysical? Even schools now use gadgets in teaching, technology has come a long way.
    I have a cousin who lived abroad with her mom, she didn’t start school until the September she was turning 4. This girl was so intelligent and vocal, she knew the local language of the country, and she was so well spoken. Where did she learn from? Interactive games & cartoons. When she eventually started school, she spent only one term in that class and was given a double promotion to the next class the next term because she was way ahead of her age, and it wasn’t even promotion season.
    Don’t spare money while bringing up a child in the name of teaching humility, they are other ways to teach that.
    Do the best you can and pray to God for guidance.

56. T.Girl

December 17, 2014 at 11:56 am

OK, so I came home very happy from scul cus my aunt nd her kid ‘Ken’ were in Nigeria for the very first time since he was born (he is 10 by the way) ….the next day I was sleeping on my own jeje oo when i felt like som1 was fondling my boobs i woke up nd my shirt was raised to my neck exposing my bare body since i was indoor nd without a bra.
    i pushed him away nd b4 i could gain d strength for my next move he ran upstairs to his mum nd i followed him up nd told the mum wat he had done but the mum told me her son wasn’t capable of doing a thing like that, gosh, i was so frustrated, i told my mum nd my mum apologised saying ‘HE IS JUST A CHILD MY DEAR’ chai.. OK na, i left the matter jeje… wen everyone was taking a nap i went up nd took him down jeje, told him wat he had done wrong nd told him to kneel close to the gate, d sun was very high dat day, i left him there for abt 40 mins, he cried nd cried until everyone woke nd came down for him, by den he was sweating so hard nd almost dehydrated… i felt bad afterwards but common, wat was i supposed to do??? i satisfied my anger nd the rest was history. *i cant let a ten year old go free wit dat kinda act.

• pipi

December 17, 2014 at 3:07 pm

this was really funny and not funny at same time.

Where do you draw the line with outspoken kids and just plain rude children throwing truma… to each his own but please make sure ur kids dont go out and start disrespecting other people. What ever you do in the comfort of ur home is fine, but is am in the supermarket and you child starts to hit me or stains my dress i will smack that child and smack you!!! Out spoken or No-spoken…, respect for you fellow man is key.

• H

December 18, 2014 at 11:05 am

This boy is a rapist -in-training!!!!!!! You did well! He will thank you later in life!!

57. Magz

December 17, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Growing up, there were times i was flogged and there were times i was “talked to”. If i had to choose, i would choose the flogging. My mum (a teacher) was/is not so good with flogging kids but she was good with words. My mum would finish dressing you down with words and you would cry your eyes out, and you would never repeat the same mistake again. But the few times she flogged me, i believe i deserved it. For instance, i snuck out when i was 14years old to a party and left my younger sisters alone in the house; surprisingly, my father did not even raise his voice, he just said i should have asked for permission (i was actually shocked). The next morning, my mum’s response to my “good morning ma” was beating. I can never forget that incident, i still remember the color of the fetcher rope she used sef.

They did not even born me well to misbehave in public; the fear of my mum’s evil eye was the beginning of good behavior.

I believe that wisdom is needed in dealing with kids; the wisdom to know when to use the rod and when to use the words. Because honestly, there is a certain age that words do not work on them and you need action.

One thing i cannot condone when i have kids; bad behavior in public. Hell no! The kid will get the beating of his/her life o. Borrowing and readjusting a celeb’s statement “if my kids are not decent enough to respect themselves in public, then i will also be indecent enough to embarrass them in public (with beating)”
    I will even like to see the kid of mine that will be rude enough to not greet people…Chai! I no go even born that main pikin

58. Friday!d Otherchild

December 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

@ Mz Socially Awkward – Agreed, the baby definitely shouldn’t should be thrown out with the bath water. There are many good thig s about the way ‘we’ raise children, balance is key and every parent should know when to apply which parenting technique.

@ Ella, i think where we appear to part in our thinking is really just down to semantics. For me, when I say I want me child to feel entitled, I mean I want her or him to know that it is is their right to strive to be the best and to be the best, and I will equip them to do so, If ever the chips are down, I want her or him to believe to his or her core that they are entitled to more and that knowledge I hope pushes them forward.

59. Avon

December 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Lets do this again next week tuesday. See ya Isio and please don’t post late oh. I need to start my day on a happy note.

60. Tunmi

December 17, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I got both. My mum did flogging, and my did mixed flogging and punishment blended with words. Raising kids is a mix of so many things. Unfortunately, we cannot ethically conduct a study that determine what causes what. There may be correlations but correlations are not causations.

I remember being flogged for reading a play instead of completing my chores. Lesson: work hard, play hard. My father talked to me about life choices and interpersinal relationships. And then, I am an independent kid by nature. INTJ. I learn easily, and I love learning, and above all I apply the experiences of others in my life. How I turned out: brilliantly. Is it because or despite of the floggings? Who knows? I know I was loved and my parents provided a healthy place for us to grow.

61. derhmy

December 18, 2014 at 1:26 pm

its not about the father dying its about the consequences of their earlier actions which they are now reaping

62. 90's kid

December 18, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Hahaha! My mum did this to my brother when we were much younger. She came to get us and the neighbours kids from school (they took turns) and told us to be quiet. My brother spoke, with a look to the other kids like ‘wetin she fit do?, Omo! Niccur trekked home o, while we the good quiet kids rode slightly ahead of him al the way home. No one has forgotten till this day. We never dared my mother again. And my father was soooooo proud of his wife.

63. Nola

December 18, 2014 at 10:02 pm

This same story sef heard too many versions;I wonder if it is the same kid or several spoilt kids?? I cannot and I mean cannot stand badly behaved kids ; I am the mum and the Aunty that will correct people’s kids ; yup!! If your child smack me best believe I won’t be saying don’t do that I will be smacking that child back…the sense of entitlement these kids have these days is so annoying ; heard the kids ask themselves when you travel on holidays which part of the plane do you seat; chimo!! Kai Kai Kai that would be the day : that child go hear am… Or the one saying why are you wearing primark? Have you not heard of self ridges ,Self ridges for life mehn!I sincerely hope that the people here are not the parents bringing up these spoilt kids with no sense of value; parents,all these so called iPad , phonee speaking international schools are contributing factors to this menace … Another thing I hate children attending schools in nigerians and not knowing Nigerian history!! My little cousin said aunty please come and teach me history I said ok, next thing Norman conquest , William of orange I’m like where is jaja of opobo, queen Amina nko?? We were exposed to British and American history in school then but we also learnt Nigerian history too…Train your child well today so that tomorrow they won’t constitute a nuisance to the society and to you sef…

64. Brownsuga

December 18, 2014 at 11:16 pm

This is so on point…Parents of nowadays have totally lost it. I can’t stand a rude child because it shows your mama no try at all at all.
    As for Nna Pickin, I will speak to him on the fone in my native language and a tone of voice that will make enter him the car and jejely come home. What’s more, I shall acquire bettle (does anybody remember that car) or an equally totally unattractive -just-get-me-to-my-destination kind of car that will become his PERMANENT school runs vehicle because if @ 6years a child thinks like that then only a drastic action will put that child back on the straight and narrow.

65. Nikky

December 19, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Isis. Is high time parents and everybody started understanding that fatty body is not an evidence of good living!!! Am not a parent yet but I hope and pray to be one soon, my parents brought us up to respect our older ones… That up till today I still stand up for my elder one to sit in a gathering. Another evergreen guide I learnt is that I can NEVER say ‘shut up or close ur mouth ‘ to an elder one, u know thin this things are learnt from little beginnings! Train up a child in a way he should go that when he is old he will not depart from it! Am an Igbo babe, I have a single bone, lol…that pickin wet go give me headache will have me to contend with

66. anon85

December 22, 2014 at 1:46 pm

when we call our children ‘kids’, abeg what do we expect? they’ll def act like baby goats…………………..

67. Queen Meg

December 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Lol, you’re mean gan! My father would do the exact same thing!
    Children these days though, little entitled monsters! I went to make my hair at a salon and one of the attendants came with her kids. They were so unruly and demanding-the girl kept calling her mum, and the woman was so busy she couldn’t answer. The little girl walked up to her and clapped her hands in front of her face! Like, right in her face, with this imperious frown. I almost fell off my seat in shock. Try that with my mum and you won’t be able to clap for a week. The annoying thing is that her mother dropped everything and went to buy her the Bobo she’d demanded for!
    Whatever happened to a sharp smack to the backside? That was enough to keep us in line as kids. Even, a glare from mummy dearest was (and is still) enough to convey the message to respect your little self.
    I don’t subscribe to this new generation view of “give them everything they want and they’ll be good”. No! Children are mischievous and manipulative by nature. They need boundaries, a sharp rebuke and a few taps of the cane when it’s necessary! That’s the old way, and we didn’t die.

68. GLB

January 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Lol. Isio you are simply gifted. Please think of writing a compilation of short funny stories. I really feel sorry and perplexed when I see obese kids eating junk food with the parent asking if they want x-y-z. Like seriously?
    As for nna pikin, I will tell the driver to bundle him into the camry and drive him home for that day (6 years no fit overpower driver even if e be alika). For the next one week, he will be picked up in a yellow, rickety cabu cabu during rush hour. Nonsense!