Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Everyday is for Salimonu the Thief

There was a notorious robber who tormented Ogbomosho residents in the 90s. Salimonu was known and feared by all – residents, royalty and law enforcement officers. It was really bad. The area where his house was located, was reported to be very safe because none of the small time thieves operated in that area. Salimonu and his gang terrorized everybody for years; then one day, (according to the gist) armed with powerful Juju, that Ogbomosho people are reportedly known for a group of vigilantes went into his lair and killed the people who were unable to escape from the ambush. According to the report, Salimonu was too fat to run out of the window, so he was struck down. The people were tired of being terrorized.

Everyday is for the thief, and one day is for the owner.
This is reminiscent of what happened to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity boys of the University of Oklahoma. Okay, here’s a quick catch up for those who don’t know what I’m talking about.

*cue rhythmic beat*

“There will never be a n***a in SAE.
There will never be a n***a in SAE.
You can hang him from a tree, but he can never sign with me.There will never be a nigger in SAE.”

Members of the SAE , University of Oklahoma chapter were riding along in their bus and chanting those words. The song rendition, complete with clapping and thumping was caught on camera. The video was released to the guys at Unheard, and from there the whole thing just spread like a badly formed Akara in a shallow frying pan.

The boys whose faces were distinctly identified were expelled, and the fraternity was suspended – with the frat house closed and their insignia removed from the walls.

Ah racist chant… caught on camera! In 2015, that is a perfect recipe for being Salimonu’d in America. Now, before you blame the person who filmed the entire thing, you have to remember that we live in an age where people find the need to document EVERYTHING IN PICTURES AND ON FILM.
Your friend comes to visit you, and you’re making noodles with corned beef… pause, before you put that cameroon pepper, let’s take a photo for “The ‘gram”. You’re in the gym, Cross Trainer 1, you 0. No, wait… photo op time… *click* So, the SAE folks on the frat bus were just singing along and having a good time and someone was recording.

In an apology statement by one of the expelled boys, he stated that the song was taught to them. He didn’t mention, by whom, but it has been inferred by news organizations that the frat boys had probably been singing this song for a while. These boys probably didn’t think of the seriousness of the song, or that there’d be dire consequences if they were caught.

You know how Salimonu got his comeuppance? Yeah… actions … consequences.

But, actions and consequences don’t necessarily go hand in hand… especially in Nigeria. At every level of society, there’s always someone who thinks they can get away with just about anything. You don’t believe me? Think ‘Alamieyeseigha’.

Okay, let’s not address politicians today. Let’s talk about us, as a people. We are strong believers of begging our way out of every tight corner. After all, “We beg God and he forgives, how much more a mere mortal.”

SAtoke Cheeriosome years ago, one of my relatives had just got a nice shiny new Toyota Camry. One day, at the office, he gave his keys to someone who usually helps everybody wash their cars. For some reason, the guy decided to test his driving skills on the car. He crashed the car into a wall and came up to the office to report himself and apologize. After many pleas by all and sundry, the guy was let go. “Just let him go. God will judge him” “Don’t worry, God will provide the money to replace it” “Look at him. Does he look like he has 5000 not to talk of 500,000. Just leave him to God”

At the end of it, the guy who decided to drive and subsequently crash the car walked away without paying a dime out of the repair fees. There were NO consequences, thus increasing the chances of a repeat offence.

Now, before you turn your nose up at these people, think about the times you’ve done something without expecting to get caught? Think long and hard…
That time when you drove through the BRT lane on Ikorodu road, hoping against hope that the LASTMA guys would have moved away? Or that time when you jumped on the Tube in London hoping the barriers would be open? Think about that time when you were sleeping with that girl without protection, having faith that she didn’t have chlamydia! Remember how you used your office phone to call your cousin in Rome for 45 minutes? Who will give Oga itemized billing?

Yeah… everyday is for the thief!

My friend is teaching her children to know that actions have consequences. She is teaching them to weigh their actions long and hard, vis-à-vis the weight of the consequences. So they know that if they throw tantrums, they run the risk of not getting to play their game for 3 nights. The idea is that the child would weigh the choices available to him/her and decide . But with children, these things can be simplistic.

Adults may think about it in a different way. Where a child may see the 3-day deprivation of his game as a big deal, and a deterrent against truancy, an adult might think about the joy he’ll derive from the action, and just say “Oh sod it! You Only Live Once!” They end up trying to juxtapose 5 hours in traffic with the 30 minutes they’ll probably spend trying to beg the LASTMA guys to take a bribe of 2k (depending on how flashy your car is.) It’s all well and good till you meet a LASTMA guy with ‘red eyes’

Rules and laws are put in place for the effective running of society. They amount to nothing if everybody knows that they can be broken with impunity. So in our own little way, let us do our bit to make sure society runs effectively and efficiently. Take a few minutes to think…

Actions.
Consequences.

Have a delightful week ahead. Remember to spread joy to people around you. Stay positive and be good. Oh, and on a lighter note, share some of the times when you’ve acted without giving a lot of thought to the repercussions. No judgement here. You know we’re cool like that!

Peace, love and Brussel Sprouts. (Mehn, don’t knock it until you’ve tried the ones made by Ngo Msh.)
Toodles!

Oh one more thing before I go, if you’d like to support the awareness for Endometriesis in Nigeria, and you like to run, please sign up the Truppr Run for Endometriesis here https://www.truppr.com/5krun
They’re giving out free T-shirts too. FitFam & Freebies! WinWin

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Racorn

1. TA

March 16, 2015 at 9:00 am

Atoke mi of life! Today’s banter came in really early. Kudos!

2. Scared homosapien

March 16, 2015 at 9:08 am

Actions: when I was about 7-8yrs, I sneaked out of my house to go play with my neighbors kids, all boys. So, one of them brings out 5naira and challenges any of us to walk from one side of the ceiling to another side of the ceiling.
    Then, 5naira could get you 5 packets of biscuit, at one naira each.
    I took the challenge. So, I climbed into the ceiling., first step, successful, second step, successful, third step, not successful. I found myself crashing down like humpity dumpity. My skirt was over my eyes, my pant was there for all to see! The injuries on my body was enough to send one into shock, thank God my bones were still intact.
    I stood up and raced back to my house and hid in one corner until my parents came back. They didn’t know which part of the body to beat me, seeing that I was already covered in different degrees of injury, so they beat my elder brother instead for not knowing when I sneaked out of the house.
    Consequences: I didn’t get the 5naira. I was. turned into a laughing stock in my neighborhood. I skipped school for over a week because I had a fever. I was grounded for over a year.
    Did I learn my lesson? No, cos I was involved in yet another challenge as soon as my one year punishment was up.
    #StoryOfMyLife

• Happyhilly

March 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm

ROTFL

• Ewa

March 16, 2015 at 1:05 pm

LOL!!!

• Ez

March 17, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Haaa.. I died laughing from this . Wow!!!

3. TA

March 16, 2015 at 9:11 am

Atoke mi of life! Today’s banter came in really early. Kudos!

It was April fools day one time in SS3, I had a brain wave (blame it on the sleepless nights and caffeine induced marathon reading sessions for biology practical finals) that we should send an anonymous letter to our very mean and fierce school principal. Now let me introduce this guy to you. This man was mean, no jokes. You remember that principal from the movie ‘lean on me? My principal in secondary school was worse than that! Now you get the picture. Students used to imagine and scheme all sorts of things to do to him on graduation but somehow no one could succeed. I knew if I sent the anonymous April fools note in my handwriting, I would be easily sniffed out. So I decided why not ask my friends to write a word each? It was a short letter telling him he was an April fool blah blah blah. I got about 8 different girls to write a word each and I signed it off. Dumb move I know! With our hearts racing my best friend (still my partner in crime lol) and I walked towards the principal’s office, knocked on the secretary’s door, as soon as we heard footsteps, we dropped it at the doorstep and skeddadled. Lol! The adrenaline rush was so thrilling! We waited and waited but nothing happened! We got away with it. Hurray! When I got home and told my elder sis who was already in Uni, she laughed at us and told me that any of the other girls who joined in writing could have easily squealed on me and signing it was a dumb move because the principal would easily tell that the ring leader signed it. Ah! fear catch me. Lol! But nothing happened. We know the guy got it because when we were having our valedictory speech he mentioned playing April’s fool pranks. Lol . Am too old for such pranks now. I seek adrenaline rush in other more legit ways now. (Skydiving is on my bucket list, Lol)
    I try to be a good citizen of the world these days…

Peace, Love and hot moi moi.
    Have a pleasant week all. 🙂

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 16, 2015 at 11:01 am

Ah, @TA. I can imagine the trepidation! I need more partners like you. My sisters used to be willing conspirators but everyone is acting too grown these days.

That said, I remember something I read, “your friend will come and bail you out of jail when you get caught doing something wrong. Your best friend would be sitting next to you grinning from ear to ear saying “Wasn’t that cool?!”

• TA

March 16, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Coolest thing in the world! Me and that bestie have gotten into all shades of trouble together. If I tell you some, you just may not believe it. 🙂

4. Aibee

March 16, 2015 at 9:27 am

Ahhh. Salimonu of Ogbomosho! The burnt skeleton of his house is still there till date. Like the remains of the walls of Jericho. No one can demolish it, no one can rebuild it.

Actions and consequences.

5. tbn

March 16, 2015 at 9:29 am

Hi Atoke, you just reinforced my decision to deal appropriately with an issue that has been nagging on my mind all weekend. You see on friday, a subordinate in my office, without provocation assaulted me, insulted and threatened me because she claimed i had been coming into her office for 3 days without greeting her. I was shocked to say the least especially since this was not true, secondly, I am her superior officer and under normal circumstances she ought to be the one to greet me with a “ma” sef. But this time she attacked me because she claimed i hadn’t been greeting her for just 3 days out of 365 days in a year (0r 300 or so days which we are in the office). I have decided to take it up officially with her which could earn her some disciplinary actions for acts of insurbodination, contrary to the rules of the office. What is weird now is a staff telling me to forgive her and let her go, this is even as she has not deemed it fit to apologize for her actions. I believe every action we take has consequences and people should think long and hard before they take any action especially when it has to do with hurting another person.

• MC

March 16, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Somebody did what!?
      Because you didn’t say hello? they assaulted you!?
      Nigerian’s always taking this greeting thing to far. how can you fight somebody because they didn’t want to say hello to you wow!!!
      Please! report!

• igbegocho

March 16, 2015 at 2:15 pm

see nonsense wetin dey greeting abeg? if a person does not greet you greet the person and move on. Not always sha, there are some people you would really rather avoid (yes even in the work place) some of us know how to handle that. But how do you insult a person for not greeting you in the work place? That is unacceptable and should be dealt with immediately. Good thing I am now a child of God, that is the kind of rubbish that would have led to serious quarry for unacceptable behaviour. Nonsense ara oko people pretending to be civilised.

• Yejide

March 16, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi tbn,

I’m sorry about your situation. Our obsession with absolute respect in Nigeria has diminished the value of earned respect. A few years ago in my workplace, a senior male colleague harassed me over and over again for my refusal to “greet” him. I found the whole thing puzzling because I used to greet him in the same cordial way I greeted everyone else. When he said that I do not greet him well, that I am not close to him, that I do not sit with him in the cafeteria, and that I do not smile at him, I dismissed his tirade as the tirade of a weird, attention-seeking man. So I told him to leave me alone in a polite tone. But when he told me that I shouldn’t be frightened of him because he merely wanted to be my “Christian Brother”, I knew for sure that I was dealing with a creep. In my sternest voice, I told him to leave me alone and stopped greeting him altogether.

I expected that as man who is old enough to be my father, he would respect himself and back away. But he didn’t. And so I reported him to my boss who reprimanded him. Still, he didn’t back away. And so I reported him to my boss’ boss. Then he backed away. Afterwards, he began to tell anybody who bothered to listen that I’m rude, arrogant, proud and stubborn (If only he knew that I’ve heard this all my life). When that tactic didn’t work, he asked a couple of my friends to beg me to forgive him. I was bewildered. Forgive him for what exactly? He started smiling at me, whispering “good morning” to me, opening doors for me. See me see trouble. At this point, my boss and my boss’s boss (men who are a lot younger than him) were embarrassed – and very amused to my irritation – by his behaviour and told me to go ahead and do the needful. The needful, in this case, was to meet our most senior partner and make a formal harassment complaint.

I won’t bore you with further details. Let’s just say that our partner was mortified. Let’s just say that now, whenever the creep sees me, he moves to the other side of the road. We might not have laws protecting working women in this country, but that doesn’t excuse his deplorable behaviour. Nobody is entitled to my attention, my respect, and my body. And nobody is entitled to yours too. So what if you’ve chosen not to greet your subordinate? Like our people say, “It is not by force.” She had absolutely no right to humiliate, intimidate and assault you.

Bottom line? Report her to the highest official authority. She has probably gotten away with her unprofessional conduct in the past because somebody somewhere decided to “forgive and forget” in the usual Nigerian way. She needs to learn that ill-conceived actions have severe consequences within and outside the workplace. She might regard you as an enemy after you report her, but someday, when she grows up, she’ll look back and thank you.

I apologise for going on and on. I didn’t mean to write an unauthorized sequel to So Long a Letter. I apologise too if I’ve come across as a militant. I feel strongly about issues like this.

All the best.

• Atoke

March 16, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. It was very insightful.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 16, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I second @Atoke’s comment.
      I

6. Neo

March 16, 2015 at 9:38 am

Actions. Consequences. Yes, but sometimes the consequences arent always negative. Karma is a selective bitch at times, someone does something bad, the universe is meant to restore the balance by serving something equally bad to the person. well sometimes Karma goes on leave so we want to take advantage of the hiatus and play hookey! After that vid came out a lot of SAE alumni came out to say that they had been singing that song for a while, unfortunately it was this set of asswipes that got caught. Like you said, everyday for the thief…..

• tunmi

March 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Karma is supposed to affect one in the next life not this one, for those who believe in it. Me, I truly do not think there is such a thing is karma. It’s soothing to think that a separate force will handle your injustices but if na so you go wait.

7. Ocean Beauty

March 16, 2015 at 9:52 am

When I was in the university, my clique was scattered in the various universities in the state. Somehow we made it a point of duty to hook up every Friday. One of us was dating a guy who had a hotel. So it was only natural that we chill in her room as madam of the hotel. So one faithful Friday I decided to spend weekend at home. Only for these girls to call me that there is better groove. Na so I carry my rickety legs comot for house go the usual place. The hotel owner had his friends over and one of the friends wanted to take to the night club. Na so 5 babes enter motor dey wait for the guy. Madam of the hotel was in the front seat of the car. Her leg touched a nylon under the car seat. She opened the nylon. Na money. She remove bundle throw am give us. Na so we start to “shock in” money inside body. Now the guy noticed it but was not sure if the money was missing and how e wan take accuse e friend babe and her friends of stealing? Impossible. And for us we refused to let anybody dance too close to us. Make fowl nyash no open for public. Well we got away with that incident.
    Looking back now I just laugh at such behavior and tell myself that I was once an “anini”. I have asked God for forgiveness. Just that those days the adrenaline was too much and it was fun.
    Please do not cuss me. It was just part of my past that I am ashamed of. Thank you

• aj

March 17, 2015 at 2:26 am

You should do restitution…. thief thief girl lol

8. orange orange

March 16, 2015 at 10:22 am

Wetin we no do,wen I was young,i lied to my mum I was gonna use one change like dt for offering,my brodas nd sistas ehh,wen I got to church,offering ko,i sent one grl to be buying me biscuits,aw iya dara(my mum) found out,i cnt even remember or I dnt even knw oo,i got punishd ooo,i tink d punishment was to crawl round d center table,i injured o, I injured,nd u knw. D funniest tin,as per being a nurse,my mum treated d wound,lol……..d 2nd was wen I was in secondary skul,we were in SS3 so we felt we were leaving soon nd decided to rite our nicknames nd names on shirts,bedsheets, etc,we dint see anytin bad in it,lo,nd behold ooo,wen d skool authorities found out,wat apnd,we were xpelled!!!!!!till today,aunties nd uncles here on bellanaija,i never got to do secondary grads,everybody was sent home,wen d proprietor was announcing our punishment,d igbo teacher now fainted or slumpd,somfin like dt,say wetin?…….we prolly showed d skul pepper in my set nd dy needed no more hypertension………now,i pay my tithe nd offering to my God oooo……………………….#lovejoypeace…..growing higher in grace…….

9. nwa nna

March 16, 2015 at 10:52 am

Great Monday read Atoke, ‘for every action there’s an opposite and equal reaction”. I’ve learnt that for every choice I’ve made & will make, there’s a consequence attached to it; some bigger than others. I’ve sometimes had to learn the consequences of my actions through the hard knocks of life.
    Unfortunately Nigeria has become a nation where no one is held accountable for their actions and as a result we’ve become a society that everyone feels like they can get away with any and all things without an consequences, very sad indeed.

10. serene

March 16, 2015 at 11:27 am

I had been living a pretty laid back life all through my teens. So, when I went for NYSC at 21…I told myself what the heck? Time to groove girl! YOLO!
    na so one toaster appear o. The guy can flex die. All I had to do was call and he’d appear with options of where to go. One night we went clubbing…me, him and my friend. On our way back, we had a fatal accident, he drove into stationary vehicle. My life flash before me. After the airbag exploded in my face and I was still strapped to my seat, mehn! I concluded that I was dead. Me that escapes before anything happens, still immobilized after a crash. I thank God I got out unhurt and my friends too. But, that was the end of my flexing sha o. I continued being my laid back self o.

• gobsmacked

March 16, 2015 at 12:02 pm

It was fatal and you lived to type the tale? Wonderful

• tunmi

March 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I was holding my breath till the very end. I’m glad you survived sha

• Kunmi

March 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Hahaha shame! Reminds of those testimonies in church that go: “there was a fatal accident but thank God nobody died”

• AsMyself

March 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Maybe you can just be nice enough to tell her it was a tragic accident, not a fatal one, instead of the yabbies. You sef! Be nice.

11. jefka

March 16, 2015 at 11:42 am

God bless your soul Atoke.
    this is part of my refurbishment, i am learning not to be impulsive and weigh my choices against the consequences and the responsibilities that come with it if it turns sour.
    last year, i wanted to get a rechargeable fan and i saw a bladeless reachargeable and even though i saw that the review was bad i still went ahead to get it because it was fanciful.
    after buying it, i still wake up sweating when there is no light.
    i finally bought anoda one that has blades and can be tilted to a suitable angle.
    lesson learned, not all that glitters is worth it.

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 16, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Drunk driving. Once it was me in the driver’s seat and the other memorable time involved someone else driving but what we both had in common is being drunk behind the wheel.

On the occasion that I drove, it was during my 3rd year of Uni on one of those nights of clubbing and feckless drinking with friends. The car we took out belonged to the mother of one of the boys in the group and he drove to the club; when we decided to roll out, I offered to drive with the mistaken belief that I wasn’t inebriated. Big lie as I got on to Aba road and set the car off in the opposite direction on the wrong lane, which proved to be very unfortunate as a MOPOL van was heading towards us at some speed and crashed into the side of the car. What saved us is that our car had government reg plates or else dem for show us shege.. The boy’s mum eventually came and bailed us out of the MOPOL headquarters in Old Gra but what remained with me was how many lives could have been lost because of my stupidity. God truly watches out for fools and little children.

And still it seemed I didn’t properly learn my lesson as a couple of years later after a night of partying, I got into a car with some friends, which was driven by someone who was clearly drunk to the gills and he ended up crashing the car – very, very badly. We were all unhurt (PRAISE GOD) but, I finally forced myself to learn the valuable lesson that Heaven had been trying to teach me all this while. Now I watch PSAs and news stories of innocent people being killed by irresponsible drivers and ask for forgiveness all over again…

• TA

March 16, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Loool! Na God save you sha so I go follow you say ‘Thank God’. 🙂

• BeautifulOnyinye

March 16, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Thank God you were unhurt on both occasions MZ SA.Do you or did you live in PH?(The Aba road u mentioned got me curious)

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 16, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Yes, Aberdeen. off Aba Road.

I’m sorry, I just could not resist.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 16, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Hahahahaha! As you head towards Ada George Road, abi?

On a more sobering and somewhat related note, Atoks, dem just release new Territory Security Manual for my company today, focused entirely on Nigeria. 54 good pages of a document which dissects the issues in our country’s security so that travellers are forewarned/fore-armed for going on business trips. I been dey read am first with wry amusement and then come dey saddened as I see as dem take open our matter (MEND in the south, BH in the north, armed robbery anywhere in between plus piracy, kidnapping, institutionalised bribery, petty/violent crime, travel safety and even email scam). Odiegwu, na my papa land be that.

Action – failure in leadership over the years. Consequence – damage which will possibly take many generations to fix.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Sistren, na God oh. It could only have been God.
      @BeautifulOnyinye, to paraphrase Duncan Mighty, I’m a PH girl, through and through. 🙂

• NaijaPikin

March 16, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Girl this was me until a friend of mine was in a fatal accident. A drunk driver ran into him. In typical naija fashion, nothing happened to the drunk driver while another family lost a son/brother/fiance/uncle. Omo I will call a cab in a quickness before I ride with any drunk person.

Sadly in a place like naija, a lot of consequences are for the poor, defenseless, helpless folks. For the rich and famous, their consequnces often times seem like rewards.

13. book

March 16, 2015 at 3:13 pm

beautiful as always

14. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 16, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Brethren, na so my friend, call my friend, call my mum, say our name don commot for law school after staying at home for one year (though I was working). Na so Iya Bobo begin to pakurumo, thank her eleda, call family members, friends, enemies, frenemies, say at last, Bobo dey go law school. Only for said friend, to call said friend, who had to call my mum, to say it was just an April Fool prank. It weren’t funny o. People started inquiring what sort of company I kept that had no respect for elders.

• TA

March 16, 2015 at 5:13 pm

No!!! What was your friend drinking/smoking? Even me in all my mischievous glory never think of that one. Hahaha. If na me be dat friend, Fear nor go let me enter your house for a looong time.

• Siju

March 16, 2015 at 8:37 pm

LWTMB!

• orange orange

March 17, 2015 at 7:49 am

Choi!!!!!……in ds life

15. shae

March 16, 2015 at 5:58 pm

LMAO

16. DOO

March 16, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Nice one Atoke. The comments are hilarious!

17. Fakajaye

March 16, 2015 at 7:46 pm

There was a boy in a neighbourhood where I lived some years back who took part in a binge drinking bout with his friends during the yuletide celebrations. At some point he passed out and was vomiting blood, He didnt survive it. Days later the youths in the community held a candle-light procession for him and were singing “Oro nla le da, eyin te pa …..” inferring that the young man was killed in his prime. I was piqued at such public display of irresponsibility since everyone in the neighbourhood knew the guy was the cause of his own death.
    But that is a reflection of the culture of denial that we practise. Every action is a result of a decision. And decisions are based on options that were considered. So if the action/decision results in an awry outcome, the decision-taker should be wholly liable.
    Some crazy weed and paraga laden danfo-driver will bash your car in Lagos and he will start rolling on the ground begging you. For what? And then passers-by will join in the begging episode imploring you to let him go as he will meet his nemesis in the future. But the guy actually has a waiting band of sympathisers waiting to help him beg his way out of his next misdemeanour. And if you insist on teaching the reckless driver a lesson, they will all turn on you that “your own too much sef! You be God? Dem dey beg God sef He dey hear o!”

• orange orange

March 17, 2015 at 7:53 am

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhhahahahha,human beings,if it shud apn to dem,dy wil be furious ooo,if u bash my car nd u r drunk,u wil pay,let anybody cum nd say my own too much,d abuse dy wil get dt day afterall,its nt deir business ooo,or I wil jst buy sachet water nd splash on all of dem,maybe dy wil go back to deir shops nd mind deir own businesses

18. Blackbeauty

March 16, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Action and consequence… Does this mean that the five men who invaded my home, carted away valuable property, and above all have left us emotionally scarred, will get their due despite the ineptitude of the NPF?

19. soph

March 16, 2015 at 11:57 pm

In secondary school, my friends and I decided to name ourselves the “Untouchables” just for the fun of it. We were stubborn as in so stubborn, you can flog us till thy kingdom come yet no tears and that can be annoying to some teachers. Our Biology teacher got wind of our name and reported us to the principal which led to one being expelled, the other suspended indefinitely while fortunately for me I was just asked to repent.
    Till date I look back and wonder how I got away without any punishment at all.

20. aj

March 17, 2015 at 3:05 am

Lmaooooooooo I remember one time in secondary school when I told some of my friends to write a famous designer’s name in between their first and last name on a classwork. I put Gucci as my middle name, my friend put Marc Jacobs as hers while the other put Calvin Klein. The teacher spent a long time figuring out who as he put it “gushi” was on the class register and then he beat all three of us. Funny thing is, my then friend told us not to do it and she ended up laughing at us.

21. Timmy Tim

March 17, 2015 at 7:00 am

I drove a car without insurance coverage, I ended up with a accident which was not my fault. Guess who got citation and mandatory appearance before the judge MOI! there are consequences for every actions you take i tell ya!

22. D

March 17, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I am very big on actions and consequences and was feeling cool with myself reading the article. Until the one at the top catch me ooo…I am the one that has used company’s phone to call 9ja. In my past position I had to deal with people globally including 9ja so sneaking in a call to 9ja happened once in awhile. I never got caught but this just made me realize it is totally wrong. On another note this action and consequences matter, I found out yesterday that a certain former teacher of mine from high school lifted my pictures from Facebook and used them on some lame ass magazine he has in Nigeria. I was super pissed when i saw this yesterday. I have since asked that he withdraw this particular edition because my husband, his niece and nephew appear in the pictures but of my niece, nephew. At first I was thinking of letting it go but I think it is high time he understands that there are laws and using pictures without proper permission is totally unacceptable. I am ready to pursue this legally if need be.