According to Nigeria’s Consul General in South Africa, Uche Ajulu-Okeke, eight Nigerians have so far requested to return to their country as a result of the ongoing xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Okeke revealed the news on Wednesday during a telephone conversation with reporters, according to Vanguard.
“I am working with eight Nigerians who have indicated interest to go home. They are presently at the deportation holding facility at Limbola,” she said.
Okeke also mentioned that a meeting was held with leaders of the Nigerian Union in the nine provinces of South Africa.
“The meeting was successful. Victims of the attacks came with wounds, including machete and gunshot wounds. ‘’ They narrated how they were attacked and brought pictures. We took note of all that. The mission asked all the provincial chairmen of the union to collate all information reported,’’ she said.
She also stated that the report would be sent to the federal government so that a vigilance defence mechanism can be devised to protect Nigerians.