Features

Seun Tuyo: Loving the Body You’re In

Ever wished you had a mirror just like Snow White’s wicked stepmother’s? One that would flatter you each time you looked yourself in it, saying you are the fairest of them all? Instead your mirror criticizes the size of your chin, flat chest, the unattractive mergers around your stomach and waistline or the extra flesh around your thighs. You are not alone.

I remember getting dressed for a wedding a few months ago in the company of my friend, Bukky. As I wore my dress, I continuously complained at how fat my arms were, you know the #ChristianMotherFlabs. I did not realize that I had ticked Bukky off until she barked at me saying, “Seun, appreciate what you have, do you know how many people would pray just to have arms that work? The fat will be the least of their problems”. Ouch! That sunk and got me thinking of how much I take for granted, starting with my cravings for dimples and gap tooth to my struggle to come down one dress size.

There are many microscopic functions that go on in our bodies every millisecond and we do not have to think about them. They just work. Unfortunately, it takes a catastrophe like a near-death experience – accidents or illnesses for us to realize that our bodies were not so bad after all. We spend time criticizing ourselves that we lose sight of all there is for us to appreciate.  The society places so much emphasis on one’s appearance and very little on our inner selves. At every turn, you find health instructions on fad diets, pills, exercising, not exercising, midnight snacking, feasting on junks, eating greens.

It is very easy to get carried away by the perfect images you see in magazines, movies or social media, forgetting that they have undergone professional touches behind the scenes (hair stylist, makeup artists, photographers with top notch cameras and lighting, airbrushing and photo-shopping); the models or actors sometimes marvel at their own transitions. Let’s face it, these images are made up. So why not cut yourself some slack and love thy self?

Self-love is a journey. It is not about being arrogant. It is not a loathing competition with others. To love yourself is to marvel at your own existence. It is to accept yourself as you are beyond the physical. Self love is being kind to ourselves, caring for our minds, bodies and souls. You can only give what you have; we teach others how to treat us by showing them how we treat ourselves.

Free yourself from the perfectionist philosophy and stop being hyper-critical of yourself. Constantly remind yourself that you are happy, healthy and beautiful/handsome. The next time you steal a glance in the mirror, stare deeply into your eyes, not in the usual way, be very aware of yourself and say this out loud “I love you << insert your name>> and I approve of you”. Self-affirmations help to silence the negative thoughts about your body. It can change your anxiety and dissatisfaction to acceptance and inner peace which will ultimately rub off on many other areas of your life.

Hating your body will never get you the body you desire but loving it will get you through the decisions to improve on it. There are enough things about you to make you shine throughout the day. There will be some parts of yourself that you may not be crazily in love with. However, accepting it makes improving it easier.

Be it weight loss or body building, do not hate yourself, accept and love what you have enough to make improvements.

Take care of your body because you only get one per lifetime. Healthy people come in all kinds of sizes. Being thin is not a guaranty that you are healthy just as being fat isn’t either.  Think inside out. Choose what works for you and maintain it. You will not only be at peace with yourself, you may be someone else’s inspiration. It is your body; you are stuck with it so rock it nicely. As long as you are healthy, that’s all that matters eventually.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Mimagephotography

Seun Tuyo is interested in social development. She loves to interact with people and has a desire to make a profound and positive impact around the world. She suffers moments of weaknesses at the sight of a cold bottle of Coca-cola and Chocolates. Feel free to reach her on twitter and instagram @seuntuyo.

1. Change

April 9, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hmm. I crave for flatter stomach with nice abs, I discovered each time I get upset and decide to change my diet and excercise by giving myself deadlines and challenges, I get depressed once I cannot keep up…and when I loose the zeal, all goes wrong. I met a lady who told me to gradually make adjustments but in the meantime, I shouldn’t beat myself to it but appreciate my body. So far so good, it has been a good journey for me.

2. Noella

April 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Great article Seun Tuyo!!!

3. flora

April 9, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Thumbs up! ! This is true talk Seun. Many of us look at the mirror and wish we had better nose shapes, or feel our lips are too large, hips / bursts are too flabby Sorry! !! Every one should learn to appreciate who they are for none of us can recreate ourselves. .like Seun said, high light areas you have, and be proud of who you are. Say to your self I “”love me” Sometimes give yourself a treat in appreciation of who God made you to be. You are unique! !

• mrs chidukane

April 9, 2015 at 10:22 pm

I’m so glad you spelled thumbs up correctly. People usually say thumps up these days. Wow is now wawu. So annoying.

Loving the body you’re in is usually easier said than done. It’s a journey that never ends

4. Neighbor

April 9, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Great. Write – Up…#ChangeisNow

5. bhookey

April 10, 2015 at 12:02 am

Well written darling…you just increased my self esteem by a 100 #winks..God bless u richly my #SVT u d real #MVP.. 😉

6. bhookey

April 10, 2015 at 12:06 am

…if you don’t love the body u are in how can u learn to love others?flat stomach,big bum,nice. Hips oh well it wld b nice to v d perfect body u want but having the perfect body doesn’t mk u happy and fulfilled,loving yourself irrespective of your body is happiness!

7. Solumkene

April 10, 2015 at 3:43 am

All I want is a flatter stomach. Is there any drug or medication one can take ? I’m desperate now.

8. Fresh clean fine toto eater

April 10, 2015 at 4:25 am

Nice article

9. chi

April 10, 2015 at 6:53 am

Go and buy waist trainers and wear it constantly…@solumkene

10. chika

April 10, 2015 at 6:54 am

Nice article,everyone need a ‘bukky’ in thier lives…

11. change

April 10, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hmm I was drawn to this post cos i’m in my mid twenties and my breast are small, as in really small, I feel so ashamed of it. there is no dress I wear that doesn’t give it away, my mum knows this I think she’s avoiding discussing it with me, plus I have a postural defect – scoliosis, so when I wear a dress one part of it goes up and the other is just straight at the waist. the boobs lower my self esteem cos my friends say Guys like boobs, mine is hardly noticeable, some times my friends tease me, I always look under age when I dress, nothing to differentiate my chest from my tummy, I wear big bras some times when the dress I’m wearing makes it so obvious
    I just wish they were bigger. it’s just so small, I’m not wishing they were so big or full, but that they were big enough so that I can at least look like I’ve got them at all, if I pull my bra, you would nearly thing I’m flat.

• Doxa

April 10, 2015 at 11:31 am

My dear, do you know Calista Flockhart (Ally Mcbeal)? I am sure your boobs are bigger than hers, yet she married an A-lister Hollywood actor. There are guys who like small boobs (One silly guy told me he likes mine, not that I cared though because I really like my boobs, I avoid now because I dont like guys who misyarn).

12. Grace

April 10, 2015 at 10:34 am

Very nice… I love this.

13. Thatfinegirl

April 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

I’ve always loved my body. I’m a size 6, with a super flat tummy, nice boobs, tiny waist, perfect height for a lady, straight legs, pretty face and had a flat ass.. lol.
    My colleague kept asking how I do it cos even after I finish a big bowl of eba with afang soup and one bottle of eva, it still looked like I haven’t eaten for days. I had nothing to worry about until my sis returned from Ghana with a protruding back side that left my mouth wide open. How on earth did you achieve that? She smiled and said squats. Really Squats? does that even work? she said yes it does being that she is a living testimony.. lol and that I need to get started cos according to her It was necessary which I refuted cos I loved my ass just the way it “was”.
    A few days later she tried on one of my short hot skirts which I bought but have never worn cos it didn’t sit well on me but it was perfect on her and I immediately tried it on again after I saw how perfect it looked on her but the reverse was the case then she said “you see why you need to squat”.. Ladies and gentlemen, I have been squatting since Dec 2014 and I must say “the difference is clear”, I look at the mirror and I love what I see. I still squat though cos the bigger the better… lol.
    Thanks to my amazing sister… And that’s the end of my story.. hehehe

14. Psychic

April 10, 2015 at 11:04 am

the person that have head does not have tail o @change all i want is smaller tits,if my tits can be reduced without surgery I’m up for it and i v a small butt and my hair is receding and blah blah blah blah blah…but what is d moral of this writeup love your body uhn. so i will advice u on my MOTTO which i use in many areas of my life I CANNOT COME AND GO AND KILL MYSELF AND DIE AWAY (hehe) aka (mi o le wa ku) because MANY MEN want that your small breast,some want long neck,lol,some men like forehead(opon,beats me) just like there are some people they don’t even have legs,how can they bother about shoes,many oyinbos don’t v breast how do dey look sexy all d time uhn, stop comparing yourself lady and be pleased with God has given u,most important hope its not too late u better start loving yourself and attract people with the glow that will radiate from you when u do that.

15. Zoey

April 10, 2015 at 11:38 am

We sometimes take for granted what we have. Just two Sundays ago , whilst taking a shower, something dawned on me . That was the first time (or maybe) , I actually took the time to scrub my hands like I do to the rest of my body. We scrub the rest of our body vigorously using our two hands but sometimes neglect and take for granted those same hands that did all the work. The message from this is very simple, appreciate what you have !!!! Even if you don’t like that part of your body that doesn’t fit the “norm” of society , have you thought about how you would live if you lost it for good ? Gratitude !!!!

16. penelopeia

April 10, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I agree with you Zoey, we take what we have for granted. Before baby I was size 10-12, curvy, flat stomach, lean arms, etc. After baby 9 months post partum with a very bad distasis recti, my navel is not in a normal place, loose skin hanging on top of my vajayjay, extra wide hips,thunder thighs and my nipples almost reaching my belly button, did i say i am 10kg overweight?. Am trying to get back in shape with a waist trainer and running (I was a runner before), when i look in the mirror, i see a size 6 or my sight is failing too …hehehe

17. steeee

April 10, 2015 at 1:38 pm

But can anyone recommend any drug or cream that works to get a bigger boobs…really need that if it exists…not that i hate my present self anyways..but wont mind if i can make it bigger

18. rynyx

April 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm

It can be difficult to love your body if you don’t like what you see in the mirror. two kids later, my tummy isn’t as flat as I would love (waist training loading), but I try to be positive and love my body regardless. thank you Seun, I mean Bukky.

19. Anonymous

April 10, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Now I know why…. Hehehehe. Well said Miss!