Features

Brown Uzoukwu: What Has Age Got To Do With It?

Brown Uzoukwu

I was supposed to share this on my birthday, but that was the day someone chose to sit on my laptop and shatter the screen, mistakenly though. However, much more than the ecstasy of another celebration, few days to my birthday always calls for sober reflection and a review of how much I have given to life and what life has given back to me over the years. Why basking on the euphoria of a 27th birthday celebration and pondering over what I have and have not achieved, a question just dropped in my spirit; what has age got to do with it?

Don’t get it twisted. Never allow time or your age to be a parameter of measuring progress or stagnation, success or failure. Your age should not determine if you are early or late in pursuit of your purpose in life. If only you understand that God does not work in and with time. He already had a plan and program for your lives before you arrived. He knows your end from the beginning.

Age has put a lot of persons under pressure. Most of us can not publicly declare our age because somehow, we are of the opinion that our social, financial and marital status is not proportional or in sync with our age. You tell yourself, at this age, I should have been married, I should have had my own kids, I should have gotten my own property, I should have gotten an MBA, and I should have made more money. What has age got to do with it? That you got married at your prime is not a guarantee that you will have kids. So why kill yourself over what you have and have not achieved at your age?

I have also seen people that get all worked up when people they perceive as successful declare their age and it happened that they achieved so much at a very young age. A lot of people go the extra mile, sticking their neck out just to prove that they lied about their age. What has age got to do with it?
I don’t know what you have achieved or not achieved, but I do know that irrespective of how much some people have gotten out of life, they will immediately fall into depression if an original birth certificate that shows they are actually four years older than they thought they were is produced. And I ask again, why? What has age got to do with it?

Let me point out some truth about time and age.
Do you know that there is no hard and fast law that says the older person dies first? So if you are much younger, don’t be deceived to think that someone older is closer to his grave than you are. We do not pray for premature death, but when you understand that death can come to you at any time regardless of how old or young you are, it changes the way you live your life. It helps you maximize the opportunity of being alive and also helps you to better prepare for life in the great beyond. Yes. When it has to do with people dying or staying alive, age has got absolutely nothing to do with it. So if you are alive. Stay grateful.

Do you know that the saying ‘age is just a number’ is a statement of fact. Age is just a number and that is why people can go to court to secure a document that enables them reduce or increase their age without any commensurate change in their morphological and mental formation. Age declaration does not add anything to your life span.
Old age does not necessarily make you wise. Wisdom is not a function of how long you have been around. You can be around for so long and yet know so little.

How you look (image or public perception) and how you feel (self-perception) is much more important than your age?
On a lighter note, talking about marriage, I would rather marry an older woman (on paper), but who does not look older physically and whose reasoning is in the same frequency as mine, than getting married to a girl who on paper is much younger but her outward appearance is saying something different. This age is not really written on anybody’s fore head. Much more important than your age is how you feel about yourself, how you look and how you decide to live your life daily. Healthy living, success and happiness has nothing to do with age.

What exactly am I trying to say? I don’t know how old you are, but the truth is that when it comes to fulfilling life’s purpose and living a successful life, you can’t be too early or too late to start. God does not use time to change anybody. Life does not answer to your Age, neither do challenges respond to your age too, rather life moves at the speed of your passion. God is not looking at how old you are to give you a job, a spouse, a house, a career breakthrough, a child or whatever it is you think you are too old or too young to accomplish.

When you think you have been able to accomplish so much at a very young age, probably an MBA, a spouse, a good job, wonderful kids and what have you, be grateful to God because they were all in the plan. It has got absolutely nothing to do with your age.

Life always presents us with a cross and a crown. For some of us, we are carrying our cross, but be rest assured that the crown is ahead. For some folks, the crown came first, but brace yourself up because the cross will come, but it won’t kill you. It will only make us stronger and grateful for how far we have come.

Life is good. Life is beautiful. Do not let your age put you under any kind of pressure. God can never be late in your case. Just make sure you’ve found a reason to live. If you can’t fly, run. If you can’t run, walk. If you can’t walk, crawl. Just make sure you are moving. In his own time, everything will fall into place. Pending when that happens, stay grateful and you will make the most of life. Age has got nothing to do with it. Love you all.
Remember, it’s my birthday. Show some love.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Hugo Felix

Brown Uzoukwu Educates and Inspires Young Professionals to Pursue their Dream Careers and Thrive in a Challenging and Positive Work Environment. He Provides Training and Coaching solutions for Schools, Small and Medium Organizations, Youth Forums and Individual Professionals.E-mail: [email protected]Phone: +234 (0)813 3514 781

1. Neharra

November 4, 2015 at 9:42 pm

This write up came in at the perfect time for me. I turn 26 next month and lately I have been reflecting on all the things that have not happened in my life yet, especially as it pertains to my career goals. And the point about seeing people younger than you achieve so much is spot on lol. It really does mess with your mind. Well today I have been encouraged….age is just a number. Gods time is the best.

• nnenne

November 5, 2015 at 1:24 am

@Neharra.

2. charming

November 4, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Nice write up dear and happy birthday. We share same surname oh.! guess u’re my brother from another family! LOL!

3. Suwa

November 4, 2015 at 11:01 pm

I love you jor… Happy birthday! Celebrate your uniqueness.

4. maryjane

November 5, 2015 at 1:59 am

Happy birthday writer! This write up came at the right time. Here I am, unable to sleep, thinking and thinking. Most of my friends are already graduates and doing fine but I’m still here struggling to get into university and trying to survive. This write-up came at the right time. I guess I just need some form of encouragement… Someone or something to rekindle my hope. Thanks for this piece.

• tired

November 5, 2015 at 6:25 am

MJ, story of my life. I turn 27 in December and pharmacy school is stil using me to play payan. It’s really frustrating sometimes and I’m like how did 27 happen so quickly. Thanks a million for this. I needed this.

• nwanyi na aga aga

November 5, 2015 at 9:42 am

Dont think about that age! keep working hard to get into school. I had a classmate in the university who was about 26 when we were in year1, each time i pitied her, but the girl didn’t pity her self, she worked had came out with 3rd best result, works in Mobil now, married with two kids as we speak. My dear and she earns well, if nothing her estacode alone na something. Just keep your eye on the price! Eye on the price!!!, age has nothing to do with it.

• Ephi

November 5, 2015 at 12:18 pm

maryjane, the race is not always to the swift.
      Others may start “earlier” than you but don’t ever assume that means you will always be behind. Hang in there and give your best to whatever you are currently doing. I pray the lines fall in pleasant places for you dear.

5. Abby

November 5, 2015 at 2:30 am

This line “but when you understand that death can come to you at any time regardless of how old or young you are, it changes the way you live your life. It helps you maximize the opportunity of being alive and also helps you to better prepare for life in the great beyond” got me. This was the reality check I got this year and I made a conscious decision to enjoy every moment in my life because the truth is really you don’t know when death will come to you. Thank you for shedding some light on this.

6. Tanya

November 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

This article is so perfect that there’s nothing for me to add except to encourage you to keep writing. It is so true! We are all on different races, so comparisons don’t really help anyone. God has different plans and purposes for each and everyone of us and He doesn’t work with our timetables. That you are not where you thought you’d be does not mean something is wrong, You are exactly where you’re supposed to be at this time, learning the lessons He wants you to, helping the people He wants you to etc. Happy birthday Brown!!!

7. Feyi

November 5, 2015 at 8:50 am

Thank you for writing this and Happy Birthday.

8. Alem

November 5, 2015 at 9:15 am

Happy Birthday Brown! I love this and it came at the right time for me. Had really been feeling like I have not achieved much at my age compared to what so many of my mates and even younger ones have achieved. But then its all about God’s plan for you, so take time and enjoy life to the fullest.

9. Anne

November 5, 2015 at 9:40 am

Hello writer, your article is spot-on! “Life always presents us with a cross and a crown. For some of us, we are carrying our cross, but be rest assured that the crown is ahead. For some folks, the crown came first, but brace yourself up because the cross will come, but it won’t kill you. It will only make us stronger and grateful for how far we have come” I have just been encouraged! Happy Birthday to you. I hope you remember these words you penned down on days when you feel down.

10. Blueberry

November 5, 2015 at 9:45 am

Your article is a blessing to many today. Me included. God bless with more wisdom and long life! Very inspiring write up. Loved it and shared it.

11. Dworldsgreatest

November 5, 2015 at 9:51 am

Wow. this came right on point. Today i turn 27 and i was really pondering on some things. Thanks for this piece and i’m set to rock myself today.

12. Tobi

November 5, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thanks so much for this……….am 27yrs and am in med school….this same issue had me really bothered becos I had to transfer to another school and my former course mates are just graduating ..it really damaged my self esteem…….becos when I think of it am like some are doctors some are married with kids and some are working getting paid…etc….not to even talk of what I see on Social media lol…once again thanks for this

13. George Esther

November 5, 2015 at 11:04 am

There’s this particular kind of horse race where the horses are tied with a blind fold, they don’t get to see where they are headed. After much preparation and practice, they are allowed to go out, in their different lanes and run. They don’t see their opponents, the bigger, better, or fatter ones, they don’t see who cheers for who! They just run their race until the end. After which the winner is known.
    After much analyzing, I’ve honestly realized that we all have our own race to run. The blind fold in reality seems to be our focus on being the best, doing the best and making the most of our lives. And not focusing on others. And that really pushes You. You know how much energy people have in them? And it might shock you to know how much energy they waste and drain worrying and filling up our heads over very unnecessary things like what people think of us, their opinion, how much they’ve made for themselves, wishing to have their lives and all. I tell you, the only thing you have control over is Your Life, no one else!! And if you spend so much of your time worrying about others : their success, their thoughts about you and all of that (which you really have no control of) You will fall APART.
    When I was about turning 17 (earlier this year), I remembered how much I really wanted to be self-dependent before 19. I wasn’t in the university then and I badly wanted to, I thought of treasure Obasi and how she is almost done with school and we’re of the same age. I thought of the previous elite model winner (Mayowa Nicholas) that has so much for herself and me, NOTHING! Lol. But soon after, this same year a lot of things that I’ve been questioning all my life : my personal growth, inner and outer success and all that became clearer. It seemed like some new form of wisdom jumped into my head at 17, and all the questions came with answers. When I talk, people are quick to assume I’m older. ( Say 18 or 20) and it’s quite flattering, but true. Now I don’t see myself any less, I know my mum struggles to make life better for us. But this new form of growth has helped me answered a big question that has been bugging me for soo long! I know now, that I don’t need the university just for money, but for education, which I already have (for the most part) of course I’ll go into the university after rasing my family up with my business ideas. This is my own personal story, my own journey, my own race. And I’m very proud of how far I’ve come.
    It’s all about understanding that You have Your own life and no one else’s, pay no attention to others and see yourself as you are. Focus your mind on what You want for yourself and that’s it. Life isn’t all that complicated if we spend our time mainly on building OUR own selves.

• Ephi

November 5, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Wow, you are 17 and write this eloquently! I am impressed. You really are a bunch of wisdom, I wish you the very best.

• aleesha

November 5, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Wow! such wisdom from one so young!! God bless you. If you hadn’t mentioned your age, I’d have assumed you were in your mid twenties even. Keep doing you dear, you’re destined for great things.

14. beauty

November 5, 2015 at 11:38 am

Inspiring and reassuring piece…

15. EllaRe

November 5, 2015 at 11:52 am

I have never left a comment on Bella Naija before but I had to today

Thankyou !

And Happy Belated Birthday to you

16. ACE

November 5, 2015 at 11:54 am

I love you Uzo, God bless you. You have just spoken to me , God has used you as a vessel to speak to me today. God bless you. Am single in case you are searching *winks*

17. B

November 5, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Soothing Piece.Happiest Birthday. God Blesss u

18. soontobe30

November 5, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Thank you so much for this piece. Indeed God has spoken through you to me. I will turn 30 in a week and I feel I haven’t achieved anything. In between going from job to job after graduation and now having to do one with a lower pay and all my friends being married with kids and no relationship in sight….it could get depressing. But then I ask myself: What did I do wrong? Nothing. What didn’t I do right? Still nothing. He makes all things beautiful in his time. So I enjoy what I am blessed with now, and rest in Him.

19. aleesha

November 5, 2015 at 3:22 pm

A belated happy birthday to you, Uzo, and thank you for sharing this with the world on your birthday. You have encouraged so many people, as the comments have all attested. God bless you, and may the new year you have begun bring you many blessings.

20. lauretta ovine

November 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for the piece, and happy birthday. life is indeed a personal journey and a times we don’t have to look at how much ground we have to cover, but rather how much we have already covered. I turned 40 this year, and was almost feeling miserable because I felt I had not achieved enough financially especially having to end a business with debts to pay ,until God opened my eyes to the fact that we always have a lot to thank God for. That I may not be where I want to be, but I am definitely not where I used to be and I should always be grateful for where I am on the way to where I am going. Life is definitely not a bed of roses, but at every point there is always something to be grateful for.

21. missappleberry

November 5, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Gosh! This article is so deep, helpful and inspiring. Thanks Brown. God bless you George Esther

22. Joey

November 6, 2015 at 3:01 pm

My dear mentor, happy birthday to you. You shared one of the biggest cakes with us all, was really touched reading through the comments, thank you for this. God bless you.

23. Chris

November 30, 2015 at 10:28 pm

May the Almighty bless your new age! Your post is indeed a source of encouragement to so many for which am inclusive. More Grace#

24. Nojeem NJ

April 10, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Hey Brown Uzoukwu!!! You make my tears wipe away bro thank you so much, your illustration make me feel better tonight. Had being your are putting this message to me exactly. Kudos you are right ,next month am going to clock 29 I had no shelter, No kids, No wife, No Money.