Features

#BN2015Epilogues: Fateema Plans to Live One Day at a time in 2016

BellaNaija.com

Happy new year to all our readers! As promised, we are continuing the 2015 Epilogues due to the volume of responses we got. We’d like to thank every one who sent an entry, and if you sent your story before the 15th of December 2015, you will see it published on BellaNaija.

If you’re reading this and wondering, ‘What on earth is the series about?’ please catch up HERE.

***

I remember on the eve of 2015 around 10pm, my friend called saying , ‘are you not coming for the countdown? The whole Lagos is here’. I just gave a flimsy excuse and said no. The real reason is that my parents would never let me sleep out on such an important day. I have strict parents but they are also very loving and I’m proud to have them. At 12am I wished myself HAPPY NEW YEAR, drank some red wine and went to sleep.

There’s this fresh feeling that comes with January 1st. It’s like turning over a new leaf (sorta). I did my morning prayers and sat on my bed thinking 2015 what would you hold? I thought about my family. This is the 3rd year Pops has been laid off his job and Mom keeps hustling. I’m the first child. I have 6 siblings. What can I do to help? My faith is with you God.

JANUARY moved by quickly. I had just gained admission into the university after 3 years but I am all smiles settling in and hopeful to meet my future friends.
FEBRUARY and MARCH also moved along interestingly.

Then APRIL came by, an incident happened in my hostel and I was forced to leave. Oh dear exams are coming. Where do I stay? I prayed to God and he answered. I found a place and in JUNE, wrote my exams and went home for the holidays. I got home and a lot had changed. Things had deteriorated. Oh Lord what’s happening to us? The relationship between my mum and dad had slowly, but surely, turned sore. I cried myself to sleep most nights as my once almost perfect family takes the down road.

Late JULY, school resumed, finally something to take my mind off the family stress. I got a place and moved back to school. AUGUST and SEPTEMBER went by and it was just me, my makeup (I’m a makeup & hair pro) with my books all the way. I turned 20 in September. It was so boring.

Anyway, exams started again in OCTOBER. Oh my! I’m going back to that house soon. After my exams, I decided to stay in hostel a while before I go back to my house dilemma. I found interest in writing. It became a real hobby. It’s what I do when I feel helpless or depressed, also when I am happy.

NOVEMBER, I’m back home again. It’s all soo depressing around here. I hated seeing my ever soo jobless father in the house during working hours. My mom is sick with worry, but he keeps saying he got it all under control. I cried a few more tears and this time mum caught me. I’m soo heartbroken that this is what we’ve become. She reassured me that all is gonna be well.

And now it’s DECEMBER, oh did it all happen soo fast, the arguments never cease to stop, we’ve hit rock bottom, my brother came home from school last weekend and witnessed yet another rift which led to momc storming out angrily. I thought well it couldn’t get any worse. Guess what? It did, my three brothers school fees is yet to be paid, over 300k. What do we do? It has never happened. Luckily their principal understands and is giving us some more time. My brother left to school angrily saying he would never return.

And now it’s a Monday, dad is well at home in his room sleeping. I am angry but I also pity him. He’s soo prayerful, never fails in his prayers.

So here I am writing once again to free myself off the stress in this house. And for what it’s worth, Mum keeps me going. She’s soo strong. If only Dad knew her value, he would forever bow to her feet. She’s always filling the empty space. She’s my hero, a true epitome of the woman I want to be. I’ve just decided to live one day at a time and hope to God for breakthrough in 2016, can I hear an Amen…. (AMEN). Smiles.
Thank you.
Fateema

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Zandyzay

January 9, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Amen!!!!!!! (resounding!)

• Joshua. A

January 10, 2016 at 6:37 am

Fair and decent enough..

2. Tosin

January 9, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hugs, babe.

• Fateema

January 13, 2016 at 1:30 am

i really needed that. Thanks?

3. J3nnif3r

January 9, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Nice write-up. At one point in our lives, we all experienced this .. I pray it doesn’t go worse. God bless your mum and uplifts your family. Amen.

4. sugar

January 9, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Amen! You’re indeed a very strong woman

• Fateema

January 13, 2016 at 1:31 am

5. Uju

January 9, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Amen!!!

6. Tolu

January 9, 2016 at 6:10 pm

The picture won’t let me concentrate?

7. @edDREAMZ

January 9, 2016 at 9:00 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Oky seen….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Nne

January 9, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Oh my dear. This story hit me. I can soooo relate. Difference is Dad voluntarily resigned from his job with some high faluting ideas that never came to fruition. Against advice from friends and family. Said he knew what he was doing. Sold off properties and land one after the other as things got harder. And became almost a religious fanatic. I still remember the deep resentment that boiled in my heart whenever I saw him reading and lounging at home during working hours. Mum had to really struggle, and I practically trained our last boy in school cos by the time he was ready to school, nothing at all was left. The situation at home made me accept a position in the far North, just to get away from it all and earn some money. And also run VERY FAR from any man that seems too stubborn to accept advice and not wealthy to a certain extent lol. But in all dear, we made it. I t is well with you and your family. May 2016 bring blessings beyond your expectations.

• Fateema

January 13, 2016 at 1:42 am

I believe life has its way of schooling us regardless of what we think we know. God is in control.

9. The real D

January 10, 2016 at 12:38 am

I pray 2016 is your family’s year of breakthroughs and increase. You may feel your dad does not appreciate your mom but my guess is he does. It is just real difficult feeling like you have nothing to offer your partner other than “I appreciate what you are doing and i hope it gets better soon” when year after year nothing seems to be happening. I am not an employer of services YET but maybe you could give a little more information on what job experiences your dad has maybe he will catch someone’s attention on here and they maybe able to help. My prayers are with you and your family.

• Fateema

January 13, 2016 at 1:38 am

It’s soo relatable and really good mothers are what’s most needed in the world cos somehow they make the pain go away. And amen thanks. I believe it’s gonna get better henceforth? God bless
      Thank you soo much… Amen and pops is a computer scientist, he has also headed a branch with a reputable bank. Anyone that might be of help.. Email is [email protected] God bless?

10. ATL's finest

January 10, 2016 at 7:27 am

This could be my family or anyone out there! When there’s life, there’s hope. Y’all have made it this far & I see a break through for y’all IJN.

• Fateema