Features

BN Prose: Betrayed By Those She Loved by Adaeze

Adaeze Ibechukwu

dreamstime_xl_40115370(1)Kambili caught her reflection in the full length mirror and was instantly moved to tears. She had chosen an ivory gown for her wedding dress which boasted of intricate embroidery and a full skirt.

Her friends who made up her bridal train smiled in glee as they took in her appearance, the dress was more than they had imagined. It was breathtaking!

“Don’t…please…” Her sister, Kayeto, who doubled as her maid of honour said to her. “You’ll spoil your makeup.” She whispered.

Kambili smiled and nodded in understanding. The door burst open and the wedding planner hurried into the room, a huge smile plastered across her face.

“Have you ever seen such a beautiful bride in your entire life?” The wedding planner asked in an excited voice.

The ladies smiled in response as the wedding planner bustled up to the bride and said, “You look amazing my dear! Truly beautiful…fit for the gods…you are a princess…”

Kambili smiled and nodded again, this time, the tears fell, fast.

“Did I say something wrong?” The wedding planner asked, shocked at Kambili’s countenance.

“I’m sure she’s terribly happy…” Kayeto said, rushing over to Kambili’s side and dabbing her sister’s eyes with a white handkerchief. “Stop it! You’ll ruin your make-up…” She told her sister.

It was as though the tear tank in Kambili’s eyes had been waiting for those words to suddenly burst open. She bawled loudly.

“What is wrong with her? Why is she crying? Is something wrong?” Her bridesmaids asked one another as they circled her.

“Am I missing something? Did she hear some kind of bad news?” The wedding planner asked in concern.

“I think it’s tears of joy.” Kayeto said while patting her sister at the back.

“Church starts in ten minutes…I need you ladies to miraculously dry those tears or she wouldn’t make it to the altar on time.” The wedding planner said as she hurriedly left the room, intent on rushing to the hall to see if everything was perfect as planned.

It took some soothing words from her bridesmaids and three whole minutes for the tear-tank to stop and soon, Kambili was wiping away the tears with the back of her palms.

“I wonder why you’re such a cry baby! It’s the most beautiful day of your life…do you want to spoil it?” Kayeto asked softly.

Kambili stared at her sister and at her friends who surrounded her and after a while she said.

“Can I have a word with you sis?”

“Sure…” Kayeto answered and turning to the bridesmaids she said. “Can you please excuse us? This will be brief…” She promised.

The ladies left the room and as soon as the door slammed shut behind them, Kayeto turned to face her sister in concern. No sooner had she turned than a loud slap hit her left cheek. Kayeto recoiled at the slap and stared at her sister in anger, restraining herself from retaliation.

“You whore!” Kambili said in a venom filled voice.

“Wha…”

“You’ve been sleeping with him!” Kambili shouted.

“Sleeping with who?”

“Charles, my fiancé, you nitwit!”

Her sister’s eyes widened in surprise but she said nothing to defend herself.

“I saw the text messages….he thought he had hidden it but it was there…he told you, he loved you!” Kambili said in anger. “At first I thought that I was losing my mind when I saw that he was sending love messages to your phone number. You disgust me!”

“I…” Kayeto started but when she saw that it wasn’t the time for pleas, she said in a harsh voice. “He doesn’t love you!”

“Really? Who is he taking to the altar?” Kambili retorted.

“He’s doing it because he has no choice…he has no logical explanation to give his family as to the reason he’s stopped loving you…”

“How did you seduce him? When did this meaningless affair begin?”

“It was chemistry…”

“Chemistry? You call shagging your elder sister’s fiancé, chemistry? You are pathetic!” Kambili said, flinging her hands in the air.

“I wish I was sorry but I’m sorry that I’m not….” Kayeto said.

“I do not want to see you around my new family…I want you far away from us. Do you hear me?”

Kayeto nodded.

“Good! Now let’s get going…the church starts in five minutes…” Kambili said as she turned to face the mirror and dabbed the last trace of tears on her lids.  As soon as she was done, she headed towards the door with her sister in tow.

Kambili had noticed that her fiancé, Charles, had been distracted of late. She had suspected that he might be having an affair but nothing prepared her for the realization that her blood sister was the ‘other woman’ in his life. She had found out a month ago of their escapades but kept it to herself while watching them like a hawk.

Prior to her wedding day, Kambili never confronted Charles or her sister about the affair. At the time of the revelation, her first instinct was to call off the wedding but then, her thoughts had been, what would people think? What of the asoebis that had already been bought by family and friends? What of the halls already booked and the wedding preparations? What of the ‘congratulatory messages’ she had received from friends and enemies alike? No! She couldn’t put herself through the shame of being the subject of discussion among friends. She decided that she couldn’t face the humiliation of a cancelled wedding.

As she headed towards the limo which had been specially adorned for the bride-to-be and her bridesmaids, she told herself that she was doing the right thing. At least, now, her sister was aware that she knew about the affair and she vowed to make sure that Kayeto stays far away from her future husband.

Not too far from the bride was Kayeto, reading a quick message from the groom.

“I miss you…I can’t wait to be with you…” The text message read.

“I miss you too…” She quickly typed and watched the message send.

As soon as she got into the limo, she evaded the hostile stares the bride sent her way and laughed at something one of the bridesmaids had said. Another message came in.

“Once the reception is over, meet me at our spot, I’ll come up with some flimsy excuse for your sister.” The groom’s text message read.

In an hour, Kambili exchanged her vows with the love of her life and as soon as his lips meet hers in a kiss, friends, relatives and well wishers gave a resounding round of applause.

Two months after the wedding, there was a rumour, Charles had left his wife and eloped with her sister.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Layo

February 2, 2016 at 8:59 am

wow. This has me glue. Kayeto God is watching you

2. Oreos

February 2, 2016 at 9:45 am

I Laugh in French……
    Dear women, please, abeg, mbok, Ejo, a broken engagement( Even on the wedding day), with short term (acute) heart break, is better than a lifetime of snooping, self doubt, anger, long term heart break, and bitterness. Dump his silly ass, go on your honeymoon with your best friend, get the best body of your life, excel at your work and business and your custom made KING would come your way. Remember oh, HIV/AIDS is real and untreated syphilis can make you mad!

3. Taiwo

February 2, 2016 at 9:50 am

Whaaaa..??????
    Nice story!!

4. Layo

February 2, 2016 at 9:56 am

I meant glued! Please lovely BN team, do you employ freelance writers? I have a post I would like to share with fellow Bellas lol and I would love to use your site for a start ☺☺

Thanks

5. Dolly

February 2, 2016 at 9:59 am

Wahoo…dis is not a gud one at all

6. Cynical

February 2, 2016 at 10:15 am

This is the kind of story one reads and really starts wondering???? This life…… Such a mystery. So someone’s blood sister,one that grew up with you,one who you have sooo many childhood memories with,one who you share DNA can actually cause you this kind of heartache???? O Chukwu…..

7. Wale

February 2, 2016 at 10:20 am

Woow……. You held me spell-bound…. I can’t believe this can really happen in reality! More power to your ink. You should be writing for our Nollyhood dear! Me love.

8. Olayemi

February 2, 2016 at 11:04 am

Stop the pity party stories! Relationship is not compulsory and neither is marriage! Stop glorifying sorry stories. Live your life, you deserve to be happy. If he or she doesn’t love you, find someone who loves and go away! Life is short abeg. I’m not buying this one. *sips tea

9. Asake

February 2, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Speechless…

Clicking on your blogspot… need to read more of your work

10. Tee

February 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm

She married him cos she didn’t want the embarrassment that came with a broken engagement.. What an irony.

11. ForTheRightsOfMen

February 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Once I broke up a relationship, which I thought was developing well, because the younger sister of my ex-girlfriend was doing everything possible behind her sister’s back to get me laid. I told her elder sister about it, at first she dismissed it but much more later saw evidences to my claim. She then had a massive fallout with her younger sister and I was visibly embarrassed particularly after their mum intervened. For goodness sake, I have got a lot of excellent attributes, I know that and people often tell me, but I also know that I am not the most handsome man in my village not to talk of Nigeria. It is not worth it, for any reason, for two two blood sisters to fight over a man. Seeing that the flirting and always wanting to make body contacts and several phone missed calls and text messages from her (my ex had unhindered access to my phone) and occasional stalking wont stop from the younger sister, I had to end the relationship. it was a painful decision that took me nearly a year to arrive at. But call me a coward if you like, and you might be correct, I know that I didn’t want to die young nor did I want to leave her elder sister a young widow especially when I found out that the best friend of her younger sister was taking her to some shrine.
    On a more serious note, sisters and friends should stop harbouring ladened emotional and sexual feelings for the partners or married spouses of their siblings or girl friends. Even if the guy or mumu was the one that made the first move there is a cause of a series of negative consequences, which would follow the pursuit of such an action either in your generation, or in the generation of your grandchildren or your great grandchildren. Don’t be selfish thinking only of what benefits you and not your family, your children and grandchildren. Besides, YOU WILL SURELY PAY either in this life or hereafter for such decision and pain that you have caused your sister, your friend and the families that are affected in the matter. Always remember the saying that “you are at liberty to make any decision in life but you are definitely not at liberty in determining or in deciding not to receive the consequences of your decisions'”. The choice of whatever decision you make is yours.

12. Manny

February 2, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Awesome….. BN please more of this abeg.
    Adaeze nice one!!!

13. Chynanu

February 2, 2016 at 3:31 pm

This is sublime! I’m not surprised though, all your stories usually are. I like how it ended, the babe should have just ended the relationship jare.

14. TeeTee

February 2, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Don’t be fooled thinking this doesn’t really happened. It happened to a friend’s cousin, got his wife’s sister pregnant. She is married to him today. Divorced the other sister. Don’t know if their affair started before or after the marriage.
    Nice write up!

15. TeeTee

February 2, 2016 at 4:37 pm

*this doesn’t really happen

16. Puzzles

February 2, 2016 at 4:43 pm

You made a wise decision. wish more men reason like u

17. Thatsinglechic

February 3, 2016 at 8:15 am

The heart of man is desperately wicked! Who can know it! May God make our marriage journey easy for us all. Amen

18. Ay

February 5, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Adaeze I like Ur Story but me think it happened Abroad not in Nigeria Right?

19. house of blossom

March 1, 2016 at 1:35 pm

‘lovelytragical’ asaeze kudoz to u!!!