Features

TechTalk with Confidence Tawo: Now You Can Switch Between Multiple Instagram Accounts

Confidence TawoFinally! Instagram has done it.

So here’s the full gist. While you were asleep, Instagram announced a new feature bundled with it’s most recent update. This new feature enables users of the photo sharing app to switch between multiple accounts without logging out. Now pause! Let the DJ play us a hit track, bring some fine wine, wear your best clothes and let’s party in celebration of this news. You think I’m dramatic? Well, maybe you have no idea how draining it is to manage more than one Instagram account.

Please break it down girl!
To enjoy this new feature, ensure your Instagram app is updated. That’s if you are an iOS or Andriod user o…

To add an additional account, go to your profile settings.

P.S If you already know how to get to your Instagram profile settings, skip this. If you don’t, this should help. You know the three dots stacked on top of each other, usually displayed on the top-right corner of the tab where you see your profile on Instagram? Tap the dots. The page displayed thereafter will have “OPTIONS” written at the top-left corner…that’s your profile settings page 🙂

You will have to scroll right down your profile settings page to see the “Add Account” option. Tap “Add Account” and enter the login details of the additional Instagram account you want to add, proceed to sign-in.

When you’ve added one or more additional accounts, you can switch between them by tapping on your username which will be displayed at the top-left of your profile.

Okay o, so how will I know which account is active at any given time?
To make it easier for you to know which account you’re posting from, the app will show the profile photo of the currently active account at the bottom-right, throughout. Easy breezy yeah?

Hian! So how is this news sef?
Well this is big news for everyone who manages multiple Instagram accounts. Personally, I manage both my personal IG account and my food blog’s IG account (@longathroat). Before now, I’ve had to turn to third party applications to enable me manage all my accounts. With Instagram clamping down on Third Party applications and shutting most out by June this year, this new feature deserves a round of applause.

On the flip side though, its now easier for lily-livered people to throw hate comments around or diss people with their fake secondary accounts. Sigh! 🙁

Are you as excited as I am about this new instagram feature? What do you think of this new update? Share your thoughts, previous difficulty and experiences in the comments section below.

I am an unconventional ethical hacker and enterprise solutions architect, passionate about helping individuals and organizations securely leverage technology to solve business and everyday problems. Please follow me on Instagram (@sisinerd), where I share helpful Techtips when I’m less busy with my work at GidiNerd (www.gidinerd.com) GidiNerd is one of Nigeria’s leading hybrid marketing and technology company, offering cybersecurity, digital marketing, online reputation management, enterprise solutions, software implementation and augmented reality services.

1. I'mJustSayn"

February 9, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Wow! Awesome news.Trying this out immediately.

LOL @ “It’s now easier for lily-livered people to throw hate comments around or diss people with their fake secondary accounts.” More Insta drama for us.

2. CMO

February 9, 2016 at 2:14 pm

This is absolutely good news. I actually manage several accounts too for Small businesses, and people I’m helping to build online businesses, and I tell you it’s been stressful switching between accounts, sometimes I just give up, other times, I create a to-do list for Instagram account swap and posts.

I’m just wondering how many multiple accounts we can have and if there are limitations… I’ll look that up.

Thanks that you were awake while we were sleeping… lol.

CMO.

3. Uju

February 9, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Not sure why this is new, because i have been switching my instagram accounts (Business & personal) on the Igrann app. long before now.

• Confidence Tawo

February 9, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Igrann is a third party tool, designed by a developer who is independent of the Instagram team. So you see, it is not a native instagram app. This is new because the Instagram app itself did not support account switching until this week.

4. Hawt Talk With Tosan

February 9, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Hurray!!! Its about time

5. Sekemi

February 9, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Really Nice.
    I have also had difficulties switching between personal accounts and my small business account.
    Next update:– They should allow people merge profiles if they want to. That will be the bomb.

6. Tols

February 9, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Praise GOD, with 3 IG accounts to manage, this is gold to me!

7. @bambiniworld

February 9, 2016 at 9:08 pm

And here I am, struggling to manage just 1 IG account….hmmmmm

8. Chinenye

February 10, 2016 at 12:40 am

Thanks for this post. I tried to add an account, but when I got to my IG profile settings page, I scrolled up and down & couldn’t find the “Add Account” option. Hellllppppppp. LOL. Thanks

• Tk

February 10, 2016 at 1:48 am

Idk but maybe try checking your actual settings to make sure Instagram is updated

• Confidence Tawo

February 10, 2016 at 3:03 am

Have you updated the app yet? What’s the Operating System of your phone…iOS or Andriod?

9. CHERY

February 10, 2016 at 7:34 am

buh errrm, i av been doing dis on my igran since na, even if igran is a 3rd party app, dat means instagram itself is a “lastma” on d game joor, i av 3 accounts and av been switching using my igran since tey tey, lol

10. LadyWithTheAfroLocs

February 10, 2016 at 1:04 pm

ok Chery…weldone you hear? weldone.
    please take trophy for being one of the first few to switch in between accounts on IG. *stretchingoutawoodenplaque*
    Hian!!