Features

Uchechukwu Orji: Posted to Abuja For my NYSC & Here Are the Lessons I Learned

dreamstime_l_53192291So when I heard that I was posted to Abuja for my NYSC programme, I was happy, like really happy. I actually wanted to write ecstatic but who am I kidding? Travelling is top on my list of things I don’t like to do. But Abuja though? The travelling would be worth it. Mind you, I had no idea where I was going to stay or anything at all but who cared anyway? This was the capital city babbyy! So after my NYSC Camp (which was brutal and to me, plain unnecessary), I was ready for life in the big city and after months and months of careful study and observations, I arrived at these wonderful conclusions about Abuja.

Accommodation is not a ‘joking sturvz’
So when I got to Abuja, the plan was to stay with my aunt. But life happened and I could not stay with her anymore. Thus began my almighty search for accommodation. Trust me guys, this search was the ultimate! I virtually went to all the hidden nooks, crannies and “koros” of Abuja. At first, I thought I could get a house in the central area but when I heard that a small self-contain apartment was going for 750K, I was like “phadin? You say wetin?” My two bedroom apartment in the university wasn’t even up to a fifth of that amount. Anyway, after some very serious search, I finally got a self-contain apartment for 150k at karu area. It was far from town which I didn’t like but since my father was neither the CBN governor nor any governor for that matter, I kuku carry myself go there.

My Baby is DOPE
My impression of northerners while in the south was that they were very conservative people. However, after meeting a lot of them, it re-iterated the statement of my very wise Hausa friend (when I asked him if northerners were as conservative as I thought) “my dear, our conservatism has been greatly over emphasized”.

So in my opinion (I’m not talking generally), a lot of northerners are freeaakkyy. Hard drug usage was so rampant here that after a while it began to look normal. Since most northerners are muslim and islam expressly forbade alcohol but did not expressly forbid drug consumption, a whole lot of northerners I met were heavy drug abusers. Even the southerners who lived there too were users. It was quite strange to me; because while in the south, “igbo” smokers were considered deviant or wayward. Here in the North(or middle belt as Abuja is called), it was very normal to see a nicely dressed young man or young woman puffing away at his/her cigarette or whatever drug caught their fancy. It was here I even learnt the names of different drugs such as SK, marijuana, ecstasy, shisha, codeine, rophynol, different pills upon pills

Prostitution is the IN-Thing
So, I thought I already had relative experience with prostitution since I was born and bred in lagos. Even on the road to my law school, Lagos campus, you would see prostitutes of various shapes and sizes advertising their wares. In Abuja though, I found out that prostitution was on a way different level here. In most of the streets of Abuja every night, prostitutes of different sizes and colours would line up showing off what their mama gave them and trust me, these girls would do anything for that money.

Once I even saw some dressed in the full hijab regalia and asked a friend why she wasn’t advertising like her counterparts. He responded that some northern men found complete exposure distasteful and thus preferred the fully covered up ones. He mentioned that sometimes these girls would flash their potential customers so they could see what their money would get them. As if on cue, the supposedly covered up hajia actually flashed my friend. I just took a large gulp of my malt and belched. Wetin person no go see for this Abuja sef?

The Doctrine of Double Daddies
“Runz” was something else here. In short, you were expected to have a Daddy somewhere taking care of your financial needs. Once, two of my friends, and I (all female corp members) were stopped by VIO officers. We knew we were wrong because my friend who was driving, had not renewed her papers. But we were broke and had nothing on us, so we put on our best crying face and started begging for mercy. We were asked to bring three thousand Naira as bribe, hungry looking corpers like us whose only claim to riches was the car which had suffered its own fair share of wear and tear.
We just increased our begging skills. The officer was so surprised and he was like:

Officer: So fine girls like you no get three thousand
We: Ahhh! No money oo. NYSC has not paid us for two months. Check our bag sef, we no get money. If we get, we for don give you tey tey.

Officer: But Daddy should have sent you money nau.

We: Nooo! In short our parents have stopped giving us money now that we are serving.

Officer: (slyly) ehn, even if your daddy at home has not paid, the other Daddy should have paid nau. This is Abuja oo. You should know one Daddy who can make calls for you. See, if you knew somebody now, you won’t be going through all these trouble.

To cut the long story short, he graciously offered to take us to his office to meet some “daddies”. He even promised me a well-known senator if I would agree. I can only imagine the commission he would get for introducing the “daughters” to the “daddies”

Northerners are Nice People
Ok, they are really nice! In the south, I was a bit scared of Northerners because I felt they were butchers. I mean, when you see that aboki neatly slicing off suya with that carving knife, you can only imagine what that knife would do to a ripe human head.(Ok, I have an hyper active imagination). Also, I never got to mix with a lot of northerners so the only opinion I had were the usual stereotypes. And truthfully, they were a bit scary.
However, on interacting with them, I found out that a lot of them were really nice people, always ready to help. Then once you threw in a few hausa phrases like “yaya aiki”(how is work) or “sai gobe?” or ina kwana(hope I got that right?), they would even be more eager to help you with whatever you need.

Some other things you may need to know about Abuja are:

1) The most popular hangout spots are open air gardens. So if you are a newbie, it’s advisable you take your mosquito repellent cream along with you because Abuja mosquitoes are actually small vampires!

2) Transportation is relatively cheap here. So if you are moving around town, the maximum amount you should pay is five hundred naira for a cab drop. If you decide to follow “along”, you should pay at most, a hundred Naira.

3) Since the population of Abuja is really small, you are very likely to meet the same crowd at any “turn up” spot.

4) Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Spf 50 and above. Abuja sun does not smile. I didn’t know this so after the NYSC camp, I was three shades darker than usual. Nobody told me to bring sunscreen the next time I came back. Also during harmattan, its very dry and cold. I had really bad cough when I was there because I kept inhaling dust. Face mask (the one doctors wear) is the answer. It protects your nose from the dusty atmosphere.

5) Please, never be around the central mosque when it’s time for prayer. The traffic jam you would experience would put the lagos mainland-island traffic to shame.

6) You are going to hear the word “toh” a lot. I think it’s the hausa version of “ok”

So, here are a few of my eye opening experiences in the course of my brief stay in Abuja.
So what about you? Have you ever been to a new place? Tell us about your experience. Were your expectations watered down? Were the stereotypes exaggerated or underestimated? Tell us more.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

I am a twenty two year old lawyer serving in the heart of abuja and getting some life changing experiences. I love God and my family too. I also think i am a nice person but once I'm sleep deprived, i act worse than a raging bull. I blog at uchaychukwu.wordpress.com

1. Tee

March 2, 2016 at 2:46 pm

I love this writer. She’s so cooooooool!

• melvin

March 2, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Uche’s writing is incisive, yet forgiving. Fluidly, calmly piece of work. Very nice

2. Coco

March 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Errrmm! biko when did shisha become a drug? and why do you sound like you’re new in Nigeria? there are “runz” girls/prostitutes in the village too…not to talk of Abuja. Thanks for the tips though.

• Ibi

March 2, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Maybe not a drug but “Just like regular tobacco, shisha contains nicotine. In fact, in a 60-minute Hookah session, smokers are exposed to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.” It also contains levels of costic compounds such as tar, carbon monoxide (car exhaust), heavy metals like cobalt, and lead; and a host of cancer causing chemicals (Google it)

3. Coco

March 2, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Btw what lesson did you learn? sounds more like an experience……

4. jess

March 2, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Nicely written. Reminded me of my corper days in Abuja.

5. kadara

March 2, 2016 at 3:12 pm

You thought Northerners are butchers! Wow! Some tribes are always shouting victimisation while exhibiting so much tribalism towards others. Why do people think it’s acceptable to say these things about Northerners? I have noticed so much tribalism toward Northerners by the same people who are always so quick to claim to be victims of tribalism. This is just an example that all tribes are guilty of tribalism and passing on stereotypes about others. Imagine if a Northerner wrote this article and said one of the many nasty stereotypes about your tribe .

• Nuna

March 2, 2016 at 3:32 pm

‘Northerners’ is not a tribe

• kadara

March 2, 2016 at 3:45 pm

We all know know she was talk about Hausa/fulani. When she said said she thought they are butchers. If an Hausa person said she thought all “Southerners”are drug pushers we know the comments that would be here.

• honey omo lekki

March 2, 2016 at 3:48 pm

We got the point the commenter is trying to make. English teacher, focus on the message and not the use of words.

• Mr. Egghead

March 2, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Madam kadara, please don’t start. It is afternoon and the weather is very hot.

What is nasty in being a butcher? Is it not a job? A majority of northerners who live in eastern nigeria are involved in selling or cutting up meat, sometimes as suya.

As for the victimization of your so-called “some tribes”, don’t allow me to start because BN will not allow me finish.
      Even the President of the Federal Republic, The Defender of our Unity and Public Freedom, has declared us to be the 5%. The 5%!!!

• Nuna

March 2, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Are you minding her? Everything has to be turned to a tribal fight on this BN. So what if she thought? Now she knows better. What’s ut point again? Mschew. You are in her brain to know what she meant when she said Northerners abi? Smh

• nama

March 10, 2016 at 1:55 am

Thank you! I just don’t want to say anything to those blind things, when their tribe was cutting our women up from their vaginas and are still butchering some of our people why wont we be wary of them. the writer sef they’re nice abi? hahaha wait till war starts and u as, whats that they like to call us nyamiri abi? will see that niceness change with a quickness, it has happened so many times before. kadara u’re talking about nasty stereotypes? like your ppl are so blemish free, what have ur ppl contributed to this country? apart from war, strife, looting and driving this countr to the ground since power has always been in your hands, tell your people to stop leeching off the hardwork of other Nigerians, take that for nasty stereotypes, ewu.

• nama

March 10, 2016 at 7:37 am

And nwannem when did that black-hearted, extremely bigoted ochi nama president of this useless country call us the 5% ? iya si kwa, great ass Ndigbo 5%? joke of the century, after all that God-forsaken country has done/and are still doing to our people, we’re still a driving force, progressing and standing taller than an iroko tree, lol 5% my ass. Ndigbo m, teta nu n’ura, lee nu na obodo a achohu ka unu we ihe oma, mana Chi Ndigbo agahu ekwe, Ndigbo maara nu onwe unu, seriously. i ma na my family members abroad say whenever they tell foreigners about what our ppl have gone/ and are going thru, they always liken so many of these tribes and their hate to the white man, that is how terrible they think these tribes are so let them keep showing themselves, they are now being likened to the really evil whiteman. lol, he needs to focus on his destructive, lazy ass tribes men, all that blood thirst, hate and cow dung they inhale is damaging his brain. sai baba hahaha, long live Nigeria! lmaooooo.

• Na Wa for Una

March 3, 2016 at 3:08 am

But she was being honest about the garbage her environment fed her pre-enlightenment, and that is something we should all do if we want to become one nation. I was raised with subtle messaging from the society around me that negatively stereotyped many groups. Ibos love money and the girls are all runz babes, my rivers girls are husband snatchers and like having babies for many men without marriage, our rivers men are drunk and are kept by the women, hausa people are lepers and their men have cow length bulala and sleep with horses, ogoni people were all short and retarded and naive and were the best recruits for positions of servitude, yoruba people mix poop and food so dont eat in their houses and they dont shower, calabar girls are loose girls and will sleep with any man for the sake of having sex, Anambra women kill their spouses for money, Benue women are promiscuous and will marry 7 husbands, Nobody from Akwa Ibom ever lives to their 40s if they start acquiring wealth and they visit home, and on and on and on and on and on. So let us not pretend we dont have these prejudices. At least she said she got enlightened. I had to date a northerner to know those tales about them were just wrong. I had to make yoruba friends in high school to know they too liked nice soaps and perfumes and abhorred dirt and had high hygiene standards like everyone else. I had to see some of my Anambra friends whose husbands deserved to be murdered and decapitated between their legs live peacefully and enduringly through hubris – no dead spouse. I had to meet pious calabar girls to know not all of them are horny. I had to have some very good ogoni friends to know that they came in all sizes and were very intelligent people and like any group they had a healthy distribution of leaders and followers in their community. I had to figure out I was not into tagging along with men and having babies when I easily declined males and had only 1 relationship before marriage. I had to meet a young AkwaIbom multi-millionnaire that went home frequently to know that they dont all die before 40 if they visit home after becoming rich. Let us embrace what it is we do and think that is foolish so that we can move forward as a society without prejudice. Honesty must come first.

• Reetah

March 3, 2016 at 10:52 am

God bless you o… Some people will just read but will not comprehend

• Ella

March 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Tell them oh

• Kay

March 3, 2016 at 11:06 am

Why is understanding the writer so hard for you!!?

6. oddy

March 2, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Nice

7. Mr. Egghead

March 2, 2016 at 3:28 pm

“So when I got to Abuja, the plan was to stay with my aunt. But life happened and I could not stay with her anymore. ”
    Two fraternal women just can’t live with each other. Egos will start flying around like mosquitoes.

Sex sells in Abuja. No biggie here.

Northern conservatism is exaggerated – in Abuja. Maybe that is due to the social economy of Abuja so those who move there are constrained to behave in a particular way. If you move up north, you’ll see that the cup of conservatism is full and running over.
    Overall. i loved your write-up. Very refreshing.

• larz

March 2, 2016 at 4:36 pm

My cousin lives in Abuja. She studied in a couple of Northern states (Yola and somewehere else). I have definitely heard stories! I think it is because of the Islamic culture. I had similar perception of Arab girls. My friend lived in Dubai and apparently those guys can party! Girls leaving the house in hijabs, ends up in a club with hot pants and cropped tops. And instead of getting high on alcohol, it is recreational drugs for them.

8. Patty

March 2, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Igala people say “toh” too

9. kadara

March 2, 2016 at 3:43 pm

We all know know she was talk about Hausa/fulani. When she said said she thought they are butchers. If a Hausa person said they thought all “Southerners”are drug pushers we know the comments that would be here.

• Simplyjane

March 2, 2016 at 10:58 pm

‘We all know know she was talk’? Gurlll, you are tripping all over the place trying to be heard. Oya, we haff hear. Here’s a cookie

10. onochie

March 2, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Why do I feel like this is the new Isio in the making? Truth is, we all act on hearsay. And she admitted, meaning she knows better. Let’s not criticise her. We all live to learn and then learn to live. Way to go.

11. Gay

March 2, 2016 at 3:47 pm

madam corper, you are mixing with the wrong crowd….

12. Ijebujesha

March 2, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Hey, Islam expressly forbids both alcohol and drugs. Please seek knowledge instead of peddling false things around. The Arabic word in the Quran that forbids both is generic and can be interpreted as ‘intoxicant’. If Northerners decide to narrow the interpretation to alcohol to suit their own desires, it shouldn’t be concluded as Islamic stance. Northerners are not the S.I. unit for Islamic ways. Reality is a good Yoruba or Edo muslim would be a much better S.I. unit as he or she adopts Islam out of personal persuasion and not because of some cultural/societal pressure/expectation. Plus, people of all faiths flout the rules of their faiths. Christains and muslims have extra-marital sex, Yunusa kidnapped a girl and a rubbish Shariah commisoon sanctioned it for him….These are people doing their own bidding. To truly understand the religion, study the religion not people who tell you by mere word of mouth that they adhere to it. #enoughsaid.

• jiji

March 4, 2016 at 8:22 pm

well said

13. naya

March 2, 2016 at 4:03 pm

My dear that accommodation thing is scary, one of my friend said she paid 500k for gateman house in d town and am like “wat happen” and the way young girls there flaunt money, it takes d grace of God not to join the wagon. After my stay there d only reason i prefer abuja to lag is cos of traffic, otherwise lagos is the place to stay,av fun,meet young guys that are comfortable and single, u can easily live a simple life in lag, 750k fit reach person buy land and build house inside ikorodu and u can easily hustle in lag.

14. happygogirl

March 2, 2016 at 4:07 pm

i’ll say this, you lot who complain about everything NYSC are part of the issues with NYSC, camp wont be unnecessary if you took part in all the arranged programmes, I learnt how to cook tuwo in tara ba camp, I learnt how to make bags n shoes in 6days, I trained myself to manage my time, which was the part most people couldn’t handle. Soldiers would threaten, shout, but only if you go contrary to the laid down rules, and especially when most people want to form”i be graduate, you be common recruit” so auntie, in my own opinion, orientation camp is not unnecessary, even though a lot still has t to be done. 3months after, I still wake up @ 4:30am, and my days are more productive.

• Cindy

March 2, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Oh pls! Not everyone has to be like you. I am a Nigerian and I will never see the point of NYSC. Shoot me.

15. lolipop

March 2, 2016 at 4:25 pm

posted to abuja for nysc….abi u worked it to abuja…..mschewww

• Anon

March 2, 2016 at 7:12 pm

BAD BELLE MUCH!

16. Somebody

March 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Lol! Nice write up, Abuja is over hyped for corpers, if you don’t have something that is bringing you don’t kill yourself to serve in abuja.
    Accommodation is another issue, your gauge to your rent should be at most 3 months pay,
    No quality street food, I miss south west, with 300 naira you go chop belle full, street food isn’t amazing in Abuja, you gotta go big or go home (tasteless food) but if you can cook you’ll love life here, foodstuff and meat very cheap.
    Too much to write but I love this capital city of mine.

17. [email protected]

March 2, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Love hearing about people’s NYSC’s experiences!

18. Lucinda

March 2, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Your first point re confirms my thoughts. Most people who work their service to Abuja get there unprepared. No plans for PPA or accommodation. They just have this fantasy of meeting someone who will just provide all these things.
    Northerners: One of most generous and honest ethnic groups I have ever met. (Hausa tribes)

19. prince

March 2, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Nice one. I live in Abuja so I know most of what he or she said. As for the drugs, northerners are number 1, no one does drug like them.
    As for been nice, you cant take that away from them, if they like you, they’ll go any mile to help. and for the central mosque gridlock, I experienced it once and it can never happen again. Abuja is a nice place to live and raise your family if not for the House Wahala. Government need to really do something about it. Food, transport and the rest are very affordable.

20. Ogah Mathias

March 2, 2016 at 5:48 pm

hmmm! Abuja…” wetin person no go see?” As regards the accommodation when I heard about the kind of rent people pay for just a room or self contain, I just humbled my pocket o! before I start making the fire that will get me burnt @ the end because I want to stay in d central area…..

21. kodi

March 2, 2016 at 5:56 pm

Yay!!! My bae finally getting the abj experience! Through law school in Bwari i ve gotten some “northern” education and im happy you are too! Pls learn Hausa oh! Such a sweet language 😀 especially from the fine guys. And beard gang there is no joke!! Sai gobe!

22. Olaibi Abdulsalam

March 2, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Nice write up. True talk I share your views

23. Darlluh

March 2, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I’m thrilled at your collections of infos,knowledge and experience which you have here put together. What an impactful write up, I think the entire Nigeria needs to see this blog

24. Ubon

March 2, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Abuja experience, hmmm…. Okay, I was at some night club in Wuse 2 sometime in August/September 2016. It was about 2am, the club was already popping and at its peak. Low and behold, someone from no where released a biological weapon akin to tear gas right inside the club. Don’t ask me what happened next!

• artklub

March 3, 2016 at 2:57 am

Bella Naija – see terrorist alert!

• eesha

March 3, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Ubon, we are still in early 2016, you travelled to the future?

25. Gladys

March 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Nice one.. It’s part of the experience

26. Macy

March 2, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Nice one girl. I serve in abuja as well and I do share similar experience with the writer.life in the big city is totally different.it has its pros and cons.the best advice to anyone aspiring to “move up”,is be true to your self,have a support system and working plan….

27. bobby

March 2, 2016 at 6:30 pm

9c..Real. Sh*t

28. Ella Collins

March 2, 2016 at 6:36 pm

nice write up…..I love this

29. bunmi

March 2, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Nice write up dear..u’re sure going places..kip it up

30. tunde

March 2, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Nice one, but a little bit nasty.

31. ody

March 2, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Nice post!! So on point!

32. dyseptycon

March 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm

awesome write up..

33. Honeycrown

March 2, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I enjoyed your write up, keep it up!

34. ucylo

March 2, 2016 at 7:20 pm

This date is in the future, Are you by any means a time traveler?

• Vivian

March 3, 2016 at 8:44 am

Lol, Chi?

35. BJ

March 2, 2016 at 7:25 pm

9ice write up, 9ice Job,keep it up…

36. Gozie

March 2, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Am supposed to be in that story.. am proud of u uche. X gozie

37. Weezy

March 2, 2016 at 7:34 pm

This was actually very useful and entertaining.

38. atoke is back

March 2, 2016 at 7:38 pm

nice write

39. Rolly

March 2, 2016 at 7:51 pm

Such a refreshing and honest article! Well done babygirl! Abuja has its pros and cons…From the relaxed atmosphere to the bad driving e.t.c

40. Williams solomon

March 2, 2016 at 7:57 pm

well like what you have experience in abuja about accommodation for somebody to accommodate is difficult secondly cost of living in abuja is very high thirdly money is not in ceculation in FTC foutly abuja is not for a common man or woman is like jungle where by every person his on his own

41. Kelly

March 2, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Nice piece

42. Papacy

March 2, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Accommodation in Abuja na die! You forgot to mention the “packaging” seein in this city. Beard-carrying, sharp-ride-driving, dapper looking young men with no money. All na wash. Just face ur hustle there and forget what you see.

43. sam

March 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Enjoyd reading this article….explicit n on point! Some hilalarious convo in d mix. Look forward to reading more articles from u.

44. Papacy

March 2, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Seen

45. Precy

March 2, 2016 at 8:23 pm

So no one gets posted to abuja except they ‘runs’ it? Abeg only say what you know, not what you think or heard. Yes lot of people influence their posting to abuja, but I know people who didn’t. I didn’t! Don’t shut the writer up because of likes.

5 and 6 got me laughing. Even my friends from the south can’t finish a sentence without saying ‘toh’ not a fan of overused exclamations like that.

P.S – I practically live in a mosque. 5 times a day I get the jam!

46. Exotique

March 2, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Yes drug abuse is common in the North. Even in the rural areas. Anything to get high. Cough syrup even. Anything to enhance performance in bed too is highly sought after. And yes, forget the hijab. Very possible nothing is worn underneath. Now before someone comes for me I lived and worked as a Public Health worker for 4 years in Sokoto and Yobe. Visited the neighbouring states too. Had experience of both rural and urban Northern Nigeria. I loved the calmness, simplicity, friendliness, honesty and generosity though.

47. Richard Agetu

March 2, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Uche is a very awesome lady and she’s hot too ??
    I’m glad you’re seeing Abuja the way it is. I also had this experience, have fun jawe

48. Bosini

March 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Not all dat glitters is gold. Experience dey say is d best teacher.

49. tee

March 2, 2016 at 9:23 pm

my dear let me give u my little advice,as u jorney through nysc in Abuja, try as much as possible not to fall in love with any guy. most abj guys are married men posing as single men. some of them were transferred to abj for work,leaving behind their families in the state they came from.

50. nunulicious

March 2, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Your story reminds me of reasons I support the NYSC programe. It allows for such a broader view of Nigeria and it is a powerful tool for integration. If only the FGN could bring reforms to it.
    such as using biometric id and ensuring security of the corps members.

51. əmeka

March 2, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Nice experience.

52. Arin

March 2, 2016 at 10:43 pm

This is a beautiful write up! The writer was spot on with her tips on survival in Abuja. I served in Abuja aswell, I had a wonderful time. Coming from the UK straight to Abuja i was dreading it…..Camp definitely helped me to survive and i loved every moment of it. There were some moments that were challenging but i got over it with shawarma & Habib yogurt (lool). As the writer said Hausa’s are lovely people and they know how to turn up they are not as conservative as people think.

P.S
    Fridays are made for the Hausa guys!!! They come strolling into the office looking all sharp and cute in their native and the Hausa hat (Kufi) i think that’s what its called. Lool

53. Vic Chinoo

March 2, 2016 at 11:29 pm

I like your summary. Having served in the North too, I can say that my eyes were opened after one year. It does mean everything works well in the North, but at least I got to see things for myself. I had my fears too, considering that I was in one of the religious flash points in the North. All the same, it was a good experience. Thanks for sharing.

54. Miss Mo

March 3, 2016 at 5:55 am

Love the article and enjoyed reading the different experiences.

I went from the US and served in Lagos cos my parents won’t let me go anywhere else. Abuja would have been the only other option but would have stayed with relatives or family friends.

Wish security wasn’t such an issue in Nigeria, would have loved to serve in the north or east so I can experience a totally different culture.

Thanks for sharing. Love the way you write. 😀

55. Ajima Simon Sarah

March 3, 2016 at 7:14 am

Wow what an interesting write up you got there. Life in Abuja no be moi moi oh. Accommodation no be here oh. When I came in last year, it wasn’t funny at all. My first to faint in a bus while standing from Nyanya to wuse. Nice one @ Uche

56. Ajima Simon Sarah

March 3, 2016 at 7:16 am

57. Samuel audu

March 3, 2016 at 7:37 am

Lool this is just too funny and very apt …well spot on ..I can also relate to some of the things she talked about …finally someone agrees dat we northerners are cool people ??

58. Vivian

March 3, 2016 at 8:41 am

Way to go dear, really brilliant and insightful

59. covertX

March 3, 2016 at 8:52 am

i’m glad you took your time to monitor your environment and understand the people, most young gurls coming in to Abj just wonna come enjoy the good live and forget about morals, Some day they wonna get married after messing up with the so call daddies!. And also if you are not driving a good car here forget getting “some”. When i served i remember one experience once a lady wants to describe her place for you… you’ll ear drive straight down turn left the road is bad be careful once you go like…… can i get keke from there cos i’m coming with along oboi response to your calls go begin reduce. And if you are not always out doing weird sturvz drugs alcohol or aware of parties in town you are a dead boy. I will advice that our ladies should come in here determined to make it LEGALLY, Abuja is full of opportunities and once you are prepared and determined you’ll get that good live and still have your self esteem intact. Weldone Uche.

60. francess

March 3, 2016 at 8:52 am

nice write up…m a lawyer currently serving in Abuja and I can relate
    …..life happened…lol I understand….
    we will make it swtiee…sugar daddy is not an option….

61. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

March 3, 2016 at 9:40 am

‘”Northerners” do drugs, when you talk of the north specify as not all are the same

62. oma

March 3, 2016 at 10:23 am

U missed a point “” Abuja has alot of single ladies getting old cos guys have the notion that ALL girls in Abuja are “runz gals”” which is so not true. The truth is that some of these runz babes do not even live in abuja, they just fly in for business. So the guys now go down to their villages to get a wife or marry a girl cos she or her family has something to offer.
    E dey pain me o! Some of us still leave with our parents and are good girls .

63. oma

March 3, 2016 at 10:24 am

“”live””

64. Ella

March 3, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Nice one Girl friend. wish I could write about my experience in Sagbama. Bayelsa state too. no be beans for here. All cos of Nysc

65. bijouxthisbijouthat

March 3, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Enjoyed your write up. You are a witty and your sense of humor is out of the roof! the hijab wearing prostitutes experience is an interesting one.
    You should have allowed the Policeman hook u up naw… *tongueout*

As is said ‘travel and see’..

66. Cenamark

December 6, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Am serving currently in Abuja now I spend 1200 everyday to and fro from kuje to garki area 11,am tired I need help, advice this is not funny ooo