Features

Guardian Angels: 5 Reasons Nigerian Parents Hesitate to Consider the Option of UK Boarding Schools

Foto.com.ng - Downloads-7Over the years academic standards have steadily declined in Nigerian schools – especially when compared with the school systems of other countries. An environment of anti-intellectuals has been nurtured where value is placed on the certificate rather than performance making the system one sullied by mediocrity, neglect and political patronage where the government only spends about 1% of her GDP on education.

The crisis has led to a growing desire amongst a lot of Nigerian parents, who understand the importance of good quality experience, to seek options abroad. These parents want their children to attend a school with educational standards, which not only brings out the best in them academically and socially.

Nigeria is one of the top 5 countries that make up 20.9 per cent of non-British pupils in UK leading private schools according to the Independent Schools Council figures. This has made Nigeria a very attractive destination and next big education market for overseas schools looking to attract international students and leading to Expos and seminars in Nigeria.

The United Kingdom, given her historical and cultural ties with Nigeria, has become a popular choice with Nigerian parents seeking a UK standard of education. Parents therefore, enrol their children in these international schools in Nigeria because they offer the UK curriculum. These schools, in turn, charge tuition fees that are equivalent and sometimes even more than fees charged by UK boarding schools.

So the question then becomes, “Why not send your child to a UK boarding school where they can get the full immersive experience of what private education is like in the UK?”

Here are some of the reasons why Nigerian parents are hesitant:

Visas
Nigerians don’t have free unfettered access to the UK; and so any academic pursuit requires visas. Many parents rationalize the options based on the existence of visa restrictions. Sometimes the hassle of getting a student visa, or subsequent visas to allow the parents visit, causes some problems

Distance & Visitation
Nigerian parents naturally like to be able to visit their kids in school. Having the child in the UK might pose a bit of a problem for the Nigerian parent, because of the distance. It may be argued that visiting a child in Maiduguri or Calabar from Lagos or Abuja is just as strenuous as visiting a child in the UK. But that may be like comparing apples and oranges. The cost of a flight from Lagos to Calabar is not the same as the Lagos-London route.

Unfamiliar Weather
Another reason why a Nigerian parent might be hesitant to send their child to school in the UK is the unfamiliar weather. A lot of parents, worrying about their children – especially of secondary school age – consider the harsh weather conditions as a constraint.

Negative Societal and Cultural Influence
There’s notion – perpetuated mostly by the media – that sending your child to school abroad means you run the risk of negative cultural influences. You often hear things like the child may start dealing drugs, or become a gang member if he/she is sent abroad – especially between the ages of 11 and 17.

Guardianship
Having mentioned distance, visa constraints, and the fear of negative social influences, the last reason why Nigerian parents are hesitant on sending their children abroad for education is the issue of Guardianship. Knowing that you’re based in Nigeria, who can you trust to take care of your child in the event of an emergency in school? The idea of asking a relative or friend for a favour may not necessarily be an option, which many parents are willing to consider.

A midway between these challenges and the ridiculously expensive British-style local schools is the UK Boarding school option. The UK boarding school provides a well-rounded education experience with a very varied range of extra-curricular and sporting activities to cover the breadth of interest that your child has. It provides an unforgettable experience for the kids, allows them to be independent, gives them a global mind-set and increases their international job prospects.

Some parents might think it daunting to consider their children away from home to study in the UK, but times have changed. With modern technology and a variety of organisations offering guardianship services to support your child’s needs, most parents are opting to put their kids in the care of these professionals who have the expertise.

These organisations help with the full lifecycle of the educational guardianship process – from finding the right school(s), helping with the application process, 24 hour support for your child whilst studying in the UK and assisting to their needs – from attending parents’ evenings, airport shuttles and even down to new uniform orders and replacement.

These things, however, little affords parents the peace of mind and insurance knowing that their children are safe and are in good hands.

What are your thoughts? Would you readily send your kids abroad for education? What are your thoughts on using guardianship services?

Photo Credit: Foto.com.ng

Guardian Angels Concierge is an education consultancy that offers tailored guardianship for International Students in the United Kingdom and supports them with their educational choices and needs during their stay in the UK. In addition, we guide parents through the processes of school search, school selection and school admissions. For more information visit our website

1. i no send

May 23, 2016 at 3:44 pm

yes thats my plan for A levels as soon as bubu sorts out the forex matter

• Laila

May 24, 2016 at 9:26 am

Even in this financial cry-sis the UK is still hell bent on milking Nigerians for funds. Shows you just how much we support THEIR economy. Its quite interesting to watch how we are called ‘Fantastically Corrupt’ with one side of the mouth, but are at the same courted as the Beautiful Bride in matters as these.

2. Nigeria all the way.

May 23, 2016 at 3:50 pm

The children are better off in Nigeria till the university level.afterwards they may now go for masters Abroad, if they so wish.Good to allow time for maturity and been grounded well before moving abroad.

• Ada

May 23, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Well grounded, in Naija? Abeg all they’ll pick up is how to be judgemental and think that going to church on Sunday= being a “good person”. Our Naija unis with our sugar babies, learning to accept mediocrity, paying or sleeping for grades or sorting, strikes, cult activities, not knowing how to be assertive and politely face or challenge authority. Meekness is NOT being well-grounded

• FasholasLover

May 23, 2016 at 6:08 pm

I don’t get it when parents/Aunties/Uncles talk about missing out on the Nigerian culture. I say it depends on the parents. I left for boarding school in the UK at age ten like my siblings and my parents ensured that we returned home for half term and all major holidays while they shared visiting between them. This ensured we are fully grounded in the Nigerian culture. We all speak at least two Nigerian languages and as for being independent, l am just as street (in a good way) as the child that schooled in Nigeria and I can switch it up when l have to.

Although, l now live in the UK, God willing, my children will go to boarding school. And what is this nonsense about dealing drugs and being ill mannered? Hian. I say it boils down to the up bringing the parents instil in their kids. A lot of people confuse sending kids to live with aunty Sikira in the UK who has three back to back jobs and sending kids to boarding school. It is a whole world of difference.

I dare say some kids who school right under their parents nose in Nigeria are horror stories that the parents dare not tell due to shame. UK boarding schools are expensive no doubt, but if parents are willing to sacrifice, the kids should turn out right. Don’t just dump your kids in boarding school and expect some friend/uncle/aunty to do your job. Go visit as much as you can. Although, the schools insists every child must have a guardian, yes, you can appoint one, but you do not have to burden them with visitations/attending parents events etc. That is the job of the parents. Make sure your visa is up to date always and be prepared financially. It is expensive.

If l lived in Nigeria and can afford it, l will send my children to boarding school in the UK rather than pay the same amount to the shylock copy cats in Nigeria. The UK is near enough.

I know this post is about UK boarding schools. However, l fail to get my head round why any paren,t will not send their child to a boarding school in the UK but, are ok with sending their seventeen yr old to Azerbaijan, Poland, India etc for Uni.

• She said

May 23, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I went to the university of Ibadan and I have manycolleagues who went on to acquire post graduate degrees and qualifications from ivy league universities, many of them got scholarships. I personally have acquired certifications internationally where I competed with people from different continents all with my U.I degree, some hardwork and Gods grace. It all depends on the person/ child. Dont be judgemental, Education from developed countries is good but it doesnt guarantee anything just like every other thing in life

3. Prince

May 23, 2016 at 4:00 pm

No 4 is the main thing sef. I’ll prefer our children finish theirhigh school here and go to college anywhere else.

4. Haha

May 23, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I’ll tell you sha, the morals part doesn’t really follow. As someone who did boarding school both in Nigeria and abroad, I’ll say that there’s no difference from like age 13 and upwards. Because if you people know what goes on in Secondary schools in Nigeria…. Just that, like typical Nigerians, the teenagers here in Naija have perfected the art of pretense. In England they are extremely strict on boarders so the most they can get away with is drinking alcohol. All these things like smoking and sex are things they pick up during holidays ie under their parents watch (and still rampant in Nigerian schools) So anyone who brings up the “bad habits” factor like drugs and sex, ask your 13/14/15/16 year old child or niece what’s going on… You might have a heart attack. Or die. Plus (no shade), it’s not the Nigerians in UK unis that politicians come to pick up runs girls or cultists kill themselves.

5. Zion

May 23, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I just got back from studying in the UK and I can say I experienced a good knowledge of UK culture…I will always advise parents (not based in the UK) interested in UK edu to allow their children starts from UG/PG level upwards. There is always a peace of mind in this way. For more info [email protected]

6. DayoI

May 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm

I don’t entirely agree with point number 4, not because it’s an invalid reason but because I wouldn’t necessarily consider it as a reason not to send my child abroad.
    Children who school in Nigeria can also get involved in these sorts of things without needing to step beyond their street.
    I came to the UK just before teen years. I’ve never smoked, drank, dealt drugs etc. even though I’ve known plenty(!!) of acquaintances/friends/peers over the years who do/did that.
    To be fair, you can either try to “fit in” or be yourself.
    Upbringing matters a lot, however, it does not solely determine whether the child succumbs to societal pressure. It’s all luck to be honest.

7. Barbara

May 23, 2016 at 5:23 pm

There are a lot of Nigerians bringing their kids to ghana schools starting from elementary all the way to our universities

We don’t have many universities like Nigeria since we are just a tiny nation with less population but the handful we have is evidently better (for one, we hardly go on strike, and we don’t tolerate whole lotta nonsense such as cultism and all that bullshit popular in Nigerian universities . Teachers are great although I won’t say we have zero challenges. Twenty years ago even our public schools were just as good but lately due not bad governance by a horrible corrupt government, I can’t say public schools are the same. But the private one that are accredited (careful if the fake non accredited ones) are excellent. Take Ashesi University for instance, completely out of this world. Best in West and East Africa in my opinion

For our private elementary or primary (mostly called international schools) the kids speak better English with better pronunciation and personally I feel how you end up articulating the English language confidently not saying things like Poorshoe for pursue or Borrow me instead of lend me ( as most Nigerians say) , in ghana it all depends on the private primary school you attended as a child. As u can see from ghana movies, majid, jackie, yvonne okoro or Nelson speak more eloquent than say someone in Ghana who attended a public non private school . In ghana. can easily detect the kind of primary school one attended by how the speak or articulate the English language (kinda like okoye brothers speaking vs Genevieve or Rita, like comparing apples to oranges???) .

The way you speak is gotten from your start in elementary NOT in secondary or university you attended

For parents who want their kids to end up in USA ivy leagues schools then in USA, then I’d say SOS Hermann Gmeiner School in Tema Ghana is the place to go

soshgic.edu.gh

. But I must warn you that school is extremely utterly tough to get in. Billionaires kids have been rejected entering that school so that goes to how it’s not how rich u Are that’ll get inin, You have to be very smart and you have to pass the very challenging entrance exam. Many fail it. SOS is known to always ace SAT score 100% and so most ivy leagues scattered around North East and new England States in usa know the students very well. Most graduate with flying colors and all end up in fortune 100 companies and wall Street an many in McKinsey. You can check them up on linkedin.

In all of Africa , Ghana is known to have some of the best schools and obviously excellent teachers well sort all over africa.

So I suggest parents consider some of these options. Good English speaking nations like South Africa is also an option.

• le coco

May 24, 2016 at 5:36 am

@Barbra.. I was with you until you mentioned south Africa.. Please don’t be fooled by what u see on TV.. not saying English is a measure of intelligence but since that is what you brought up I shall engage.. Sa has very poor English.. you seem to be confusing the English of white south africans, the English that upper class black people have adopted with REAl south african English.. Secondly what you seem to be commending is their accent.. and thats not necessarily the same thing.. I attended uni in SA.. and I knw many who attended highschool. English of the average black is terrible.. not like it’s their fault.. but people like me had to suffer it in uni.. when black people entered univeristy with such poor English.. It made it difficult to communicate lectures.. and south African education system is terrible.. Nd this is FACT.. even naija with all its flaws is better ( not uni level though).. students get in to university wth 30 percent (and I attended one of the top 5 uni) then you see students in uni who don’t knw how to put full stop at the end of a sentence..I believe of the 2015 matriculants there was only about 30 percent pass rate.. (can’t be too sure of numbers). but I watch the news every year after the matric results are published( it is made public) , nd it’s the same dismal result.. Nd these same people are allowed into uni? HA! THE things I’ve seen here.. I haven’t even seen in naija sef..
      Thankfully students seem keen to upgrade their education so hopefully in years to come things will get better.

so unless you are referring to a private school( which arent all that great as I believe nigerian private are better in terms of education) then no SA is a bad option for now.. there r some good schools like girls high and Co.. but still .. not enough to leave naija because I’ve experienced the quality of their work nd I know the nigerian standard was higher esspecially math english and science.

That being said.. I need the names of good universities in Ghana.. If you have any info.. kindly share

8. Bowl

May 23, 2016 at 6:11 pm

me. I don’t care about any academic excellence. My concerns are, wil these children get to hold their own in the global scheme of things, how much do they learn to impact mankind on a wider scale. On the whole I don’t think our standards are bad. We just need another orientation . We already have enough Western trained experts, yet we are stil where we were if not worse off. An educational system, formal or informal that produces great minds who are interested in lending their voices to our common problems without waiting for validation from America or Europe.it wasn’t Harvard or Yale that put America on the map of the world. It was a handful of men and women some of whom were not lettered.. It should tell us something.

• Anonymous

May 23, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I went to arguably Nigeria’s most challenging and competitive secondary school (Loyola) before moving to England. Trust me, it’s not the same. The way you’re drilled for independent thinking, plus the variety of subjects, and the fact that there’s no Art or Science student, you do ALL. Also, I’m not sure how people teach languages in Nigeria, but by 16/17 an English-trained child is volatile with Latin and at least one other language eg French, German and Spanish. Then there’s the compulsory sports participation… Nigerians abroad are doing GREAT! It’s unfortunate that because of how the system is, we would rather stay behind and naturalise as American and British citizens where we have opportunities and fundings to do these great things you’re asking of (Google and see what Nigerian youth are doing in Goldman Sachs and especially medical fields.) One was even given an OBE by the Queen last year. If she was in Nigeria she’d probably be in an office surrounded by old lusty MDs and colleagues that’ll be asking her ‘when will you marry’

• belinda

May 23, 2016 at 6:47 pm

it’s not about Western-trained experts, it’s about the environment. In Nigeria it becomes all about surviving and making money, looking good on Facebook and Instagram, getting money to travel business and wedding. These arent Western values, these are our own damaged mentalities, coupled with our unfortunate greedy reliigious and political leaders.

9. Bowl

May 23, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I look for that generation of Nigerian students/ graduates who wil make ground breaking discoveries that wil attract Nobel peace prize, medical doctors who wil discover effective anti- malaria vaccines. Working eye prostheses, etc. I know some wil argue our schools do not provide enabling environment. I encourage you to read the stories surrounding some the greatest discoveries or formulations in history.The white man has given us enough. His genetic make up is no different from ours. Every time a doctor becomes a prof in my hospital, I just get weak. How did he get there, he wrote some books that were accepted and published in some foreign journals. Now has any of those works impacted health care in Nigeria. Nwa Nnewi doesn’t know.

10. anonymous

May 23, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Lol Ghana, good English? wow i want to smoke the weed you are smoking, please bounce out of here, Ghanaians that pronounce pursue, pershue, come, camm. Abeg take your low self esteem self out of here anything with Nigerians, Ghanaians would always want to come and show their stupidity, there are many Ghanaians going to school in Nigeria from nursery level too and Yvonne Nelson and Majid have a nasty accent, can’t even compare them to any Nigerian actor because it’ll be an insult to the Nigerians.

• anonymous

May 23, 2016 at 6:27 pm

The comment is for Barbara.

• Barbara

May 23, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Yeah I know truth hurts dear. An average educated Ghanaian speaks more eloquent .

If you have only been exposed to the poor Illiterates who migrated to ghana back in the day to do trading and you think that’s how all Ghanaians speak you are sadly mistaken. Or maybe u have been exposed to some Ghanaian who attended non international schools. I know truth hurts. I won’t argue with you that’s for sure ?????????????

We can agree to disagree dear. The truth stares u in the face. And I know your high and mighty self who think every african nation is beneath on all levels , it’s hard for you to accept the fact. Hopefully for once you’ll get invited like we do annually to spelling bee in DC. Just don’t go say Poorshoe or borrow me there.

• anonymous

May 23, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Loooolz like i said Ghanaians speak bad English with a bad accent to boot, deal with it honey, lol.

• marsha

May 23, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I am from Trinidad (I work for a non profit and we travel a lot to ghana, Nigeria and SA) and I think Barbara is right particularly when it comes to the speaking cos south Africa or ghana are the only Africans I understand clearly when they speak I don’t have to say pardon. Especially the educated ones.

By the way why you being so defensive. I don’t think she meant any harm she was just giving parents some options in Africa. Cmon it ain’t that serious, please calm down. This is not something u get all pissed off about. Count to ten and calm down

• The Flash

May 23, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Abeg rest, extremely rich coming from a Caribbean that they do not understand Africans, you guys are almost unintelligible with your funny sounding English, mtsheww!

• The real D

May 23, 2016 at 8:23 pm

@ Marsha, I used to know a Marsha from TT , wondering if that’s you. Does you last name end with a L and did you go to school (college) in ND?

• The K

May 23, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Anglophone Cameroonians speak English language really well too…..pronunciation and all.

• The real D

May 23, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I mean does you last begin with a L NOT end with a L

11. Please read

May 23, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Let’s be honest, the REAL hesitance for many Nigerians lies in the hefty fees. Not everyone can afford upwards of £30,000 a year for their child, excluding pocket money and flight tickets. Tier 4 visas are easy to get if you can prove ability to pay, Lagos-London is closer than Lekki to Festac, and the morals and quality standards of even the most expensive Nigerian schools cannot compare. If you can afford to send your child abroad, do it. Don’t let one uncle or aunt whose true intentions you don’t know, discourage you. The orientation, independent learning,compulsory foreign language,music and sports developement, intense critical thinking, exposure to people from all over the world and Nigeria’s elite (ie priceless networking opportunities), even the oyibo compassion your child will learn cannot even be compared to what is left of our Nigerian educational system. Also, I’m sure this may offend some people, but It is much harder than it was 5-10 years ago to get a good job internationally and even in Nigeria if you don’t have a foreign qualification (no one should take this personally, it’s the truth.)

• p

May 25, 2016 at 2:51 pm

“the oyibo compassion” got me cracked up.

12. Nene

May 23, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Going to boarding school in England made me better.

13. jimgba

May 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm

@ Barbara, your low self esteem stinks to the highest heavens, you should be ashamed of yourself as I don’t see anywhere in the topic where Ghana or Ghanaian schools was mentioned, yet you bump in here and type hogwash, so to speak good English one has to attend Ghanaian crappy schools? Pray tell, how about if my focus is spannish or French, or since when did speaking English become an index to measure proper education….you lousy Ghanaians would never cease to amaze me….bounce!!!!

14. Mama Saffron

May 23, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I schooled half and half, earlier half boarding school and then, mummy dearest suddenly didn’t think it was a good idea, because a family friend’s son went haywire and she must have thought something was floating in the air in uk public schools (the British term for private schools) at the time and sent me back home. Her eyes cleared and at age 13 I was back out again.
    Positives, I made life long friends in high places for life. I mean when your classmates dad is the CEO or Chairman of the board of this and that, it comes with perks both holiday wise internship hunting and job hunting. Fantastic Networking. There are still people I can call today…
    University choices – Oxbridge is at your fingertips, I mean, we make almost the majority, if not the majority because we get better results at A levels, plus all the extra curricular activities public school children involve in, helps the application process. Music sports, languages, theatre and the rest.
    The snotty upper class British accent. It comes in handy when you need it to. The UK is still a very classist society, but i love how the mix of living in Nigeria means i can switch to perfect pidgin when i like.
    The education is superb, and i love the fact that i wasn’t trained to cram and pass exam like with Nigerian education.
    Confidence and no fear of authority. When you compare a british public school educated child to a nigerian trained child, one of the startling differences is lack of confidence and standing up to authority. In boarding school, while discipline was strict, you could challenge authority respectfully. Eye contact, stating your point of view within reason, even arguing with superiors were allowed. Your tutor wasn’t Lord and master and king. Why do you have most public school educated people in government, even up to prime minister. Confidence, bucket loads of confidence. You are taught to believe that you can do anything, be anything, and not with lip service or chanting anthems, there’s the proverbial rod in your spine that makes you sit straight up and take charge. I can spot a fellow public school educated person in a board room in 30 seconds. It makes you fearless and highly independent.
    Travel. I went on more school trips in boarding school than with my parents. So much so, it influenced my career choices. So much so i can land in a foreign country today, and all my public school training kicks in, and i kick ass, like i was born there.
    Negatives. You grow up with a narrowed view of the world. You think everyone has homes in the south of france and kensington is Isale Eko. It takes more to ground a public school educated child and if not careful you can be snobbish. I have some friends from school that i can’t tolerate the way they talk. Another negative is, there is a disconnect with your own people. Heading out to another country in your formative years can turn you into a coconut, which can influence your choice of friends, social circle, even the spouse you marry. more than 50% of my Nigerian public school educated friends are married to oyinbo. Not like it is a bad thing, but for these people, throw them in a room full of Nigerians, and they won’t know where to start. So, in trying to give your child the best, you can lose that child, unless you find a balance. Would I send Saffron to boarding school all the way from America, Yes i would, even if it is for three years and back to my old school for sure

15. Single mum

May 23, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I’m a single mum and I have a great Job as an engineer. I lived in one of the best towns in the uk and my son will be going to a boarding school here from age 11 to 18 so God help me. I want him to have the best and be the best. I grew up in London and I don’t want my child to go through what I went through and see what I saw.

16. Nigerian parents be careful.

May 23, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Don’t mind all this sponsored comments,keep your children in Nigeria till after their first degree,that will go along way in helping you bond well as a family,and to keep watch over them,most parents lose their children sending them abroad early,both in mannerism,cultural in balance,adequate coaching and-mentoring ,and good upbringing.

• calm down

May 23, 2016 at 9:02 pm

‘most parents lose their children sending them abroad early’ Big lie. And you can deny it, but I can bet that you or most people in your close circle of family and friends didn’t study abroad or have their kids study abroad at the moment yet people like you have the most to say. Your comment sounds defensive, and if you didn’t think there was anything wrong with the Nigerian system, you wouldn’t be talking like this. No one said the Nigerian system is bad, they only said the UK system is good.

17. n

May 23, 2016 at 8:15 pm

The Flash that’s because they speak Patois, not English as we know it.

18. Nahum

May 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Thank you Ada. What is so special about our culture? With the level of runs girls and 419 boys graduating from Naija universities, I seriously doubt that we have any culture left to salvage. Please leave all that crap behind and educate your kids properly. Let your girls know that they CAN actually work for their riches and let your boys be educated about hardworking, loyalty, honesty, dedication. That is what we need most is our country now.

19. You don't know anything

May 23, 2016 at 8:49 pm

If your sisters are the runs girls, and your brothers the 419 guys,sorry for you,most Nigerians I know,that are educated in Nigeria are well grounded and respectful Children,all the foolish lots that never see anything good in their Country,keep living in fantasy,and allow media propaganda to full you,the dangers out there to kids mindset can be very challenging without the help of their parents or family members.

• Shior

May 23, 2016 at 9:12 pm

First of all, why did your post come with 30 likes? I was on the page when your comment came in with 30 likes. The way ‘Nigerian parents be careful’ comment came in with 40 likes. Abi Uche was liking your comment before she posted it? Which ‘dangers out there to kids mindset’ can be very challenging? People abroad don’t they worship God? Are Nigerians more compassionate (read your comment) or have better comprehensive skills (read your comment again). If you’re not a virgin and you drink alcohol then your parents shouldn’t have bothered keeping you in Nigeria seeing as that’s what makes a person good. There ARE wayyyy too many runs girls in Nigeria and it’s a fact. If there wasn’t something people were seeing, even the most conservative of parents wouldn’t be investing thousands of pounds and dollars sending their children abroad for a chance at a more intricate education and excellent job opportunities (dont say you know so many Nigerian graduates working abroad, it doesnt work like that anymore-that’s if you don’t know.) Nigerians that studied in Nigeria are such holy virgin angels yet look at our country-from the wicked gossipping choir mistress to the insensitive doctor to the fantastic politician. Nigerians for ONCE leave sentiment and tell yourself the truth. A chance to study abroad is that good an opportunity. No hard feelings abeg.

• Mama

May 24, 2016 at 4:13 pm

God bless you! I was taken aback by the comment, “what is so special in our culture?”. Well, you will not know the value of your culture until you go outside the country. Nigerians use any opportunity to speak down on Nigeria, no wonder a Ghanaian can show up here telling us how they speak better English. It is the way you address yourself that others will address you.

As for the Ghanaian sister, biko allow us to be great on our own page you hear!

20. Abby

May 23, 2016 at 9:20 pm

The way people “invent” stories on this BN ehn. Chai. No further comment ?

• LOLO D LOLO

May 23, 2016 at 10:05 pm

what was the invention abeg? People studying abroad and giving fact is what is paining you. Be scratching there that people you don’t know live abroad. Give your objective input or si eba puo biko k’anyi nu’ife d’impa

• Noname

May 23, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Ah ha a beef comment appears. There is always someone who is jealous of people who schooled abroad. You think say you be the same with everybody ehn?

21. concerned9a

May 23, 2016 at 11:14 pm

It’s a matter of choice and finances…both have good points and with the way things are going.I wouldn’t advise a Parent to sit in 9ja and send their teenage kids to Europe or USA unless you actually live there.
    At a minimum send them out for A Levels and University..not Pre-Teens
    There’s no point running down your own country and culture in order to score a cheap shot online .

• Me Myself & I

May 23, 2016 at 11:41 pm

Culture shaaa? You lot can deceive yourselves a lot. Poverty is bad

• which kin concerned

May 24, 2016 at 12:36 am

abeg the only culture insults here were from people who’ve obviously not studied abroad but are 100% sure that sending your child out ‘damage’ the child. Nigerians would rather insult someone than face the truth, even in an anonymous comment.

22. Elle

May 24, 2016 at 4:35 am

So true, esp for the confidence in corporate environments. Boarding house in UK, college in US but I was home for every holiday and I’m as “Nigerian” as they come. But that was when the Nigerian economy was not so bad and honest, hardworking Nigerians could still make such sacrifices for their kids.
    And I don’t think marrying oyinbos is a bad concequence at all….a lot of Nigerian girls have remained unmarried because they are looking for an “enlightened Nigerian guy” in London or NYC. Look at the demographics of people around them and you have to pray they recieve some sense 🙁

• le coco

May 24, 2016 at 5:42 am

help me oo.. what is with Nigerian girls and the Nigerian guy syndrome.. is it that they find them easier to bring home to mama.. or what? u enter uni abroadmm of all the africans.. you didn’t see kenyan and Tanzanian fine boys.. its naija they want to marry or DIE.. yet all the women of different nationalities will be flocking to naija guys ( don’t get what’s so special).. but still.. Naija women open your eyes.. The world has a lot more to offer aside Nigerian and Ghanaian men abeg.. you cnt tell me that in ur international students association you didn’t find a nice Kenyan or some tin . don’t grow old because of stubbornness.. EXPLORE