BN TV

BN TV: Is it OK to get naked in front of your Kids? | Watch The Iyabeji Show with Precious Richard-Okon

BN TV

Is it OK to get naked in front of your kids? This week on The Iyabeji Show with Precious Richard-Okon, this is the topic at hand. Here’s what she has to say;

For some of you who have kids of your own, have you and your friends ever gotten into a conversation about if it’s OK to get naked in front of your kids? Just speaking about this topic among my friends, it’s clear that there’s a myriad of opinions about this – which I try to cover in this episode.

Overall, however, I think irrespective of whatever side of the fence you stand on this issue, the most important thing is to ensure that our choices as parents continually help to reinforce the self-esteem of our children.

Personally, I don’t see a problem getting naked in front of my kids if I have to. It’d be nice to know what y’all think about this topic. Please feel free to share in the comment section below.

Watch the Video

1. nene+

July 30, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I am eager to read opinions! I get naked in front of my children cos I think it may help them become aware and less inquisitive on other people’s bodies.

I feel that overwhelmes them and keep them from finding it strange. I reckon that hiding nakedness may trigger the curiosity in children.

So far they don’t pay attention to naked people as in they have had enough!

I am open to know it’s disadvantages so I can switch if necessary! Especially when to stop.

2. Beard gang

July 30, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Yes, it is okay to get naked in front of your kids. that is absolutely normal behaviour. yimu!

• "changing moniker"

July 30, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Na real wa

3. Debby Dibs

July 30, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Adding a little evidence to the mix: one study found no negative impact on adolescents who regularly saw their parents naked at ages 3 and 6, but another study found that parental nudity when kids were ages 6 to 11 resulted in more permissive attitudes about sex and increased sexual frequency. (CNN has had a discussion on this topic from which I scooped the data).

So I suppose the children’s age matters and their comfort or not with the exposure matters – so constantly checking in with them to make sure its okay is probably best.

In the end, we all want to raise kids that respect their bodies and others people’s too.

• Ada_ugo

July 30, 2016 at 5:02 pm

interesting study… it ties in, I think with what nene said, cos one could say the children feel more comfortable about their bodies, which translates to their sexuality, which translates to having more sex.

4. Chibuzor Aguwa

July 30, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I don’t think it is wise getting naked in front of the kids, except maybe they are younger and not conscious of what they do yet.

5. GDaDa

July 30, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Yes,I use to go naked in front of them when they were younger(months-4yrs Old),but I have stopped,the age matters a lot. They might want to experiment too when they have crossed the 6yrs old boundary,we have to be careful. My daughter’s curious look when I was naked made me keep my clothes on now. We owe them the right and positive nurturing….love to read others observations too. Gbenga.

• "changing moniker"

July 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Gbenga? As in you’re a man who got naked in front of his four year old daughter? ???
      Pls someone help….I think I just fainted.

6. Ada_ugo

July 30, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I think a mother naked in front of her daughter is OK. A mother naked in front of her baby son (less than 2yrs old) is OK. A mother naked in front of her sons more than 2years old, I don’t think is a great idea.
    I think it’s OK for a father to be naked in front of his sons and daughters less than 2yrs old. Once the children are more than about 2yrs old (male or female), he’s would need to put some pants on

7. fashy me

July 30, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I am a single parent , I have 2 sons my eldest is 9 yrs , I get naked in front of him almost all the time, still help him scrub while bathing, which he doesn’t like and sometimes I go into the bathtub while he is still there if I am rushing to go out or just to go back to the a movies or tv programme cos he spents much time either singing or acting out any of his favourite cartoon characters in there ……. I don’t see anything wrong with that,………

Back then growing up we as sibling were still taking our bath together, sharing the same room., eating from same plates…… (Miss those days) anyway I will still change my clothes. And get naked in front my younger ones

• "changing moniker"

July 30, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Please stop bathing, getting naked in front of your 9 year old son. ….Please just stop. ..He is not your husband, lover or partner. ….

• Mr. Egghead

July 30, 2016 at 9:00 pm

hey, I love you but you need to chill.
      If she wants to bath her kid nekkid then let her do it.

8. Confidence

July 30, 2016 at 7:40 pm

I will talk on experience. Am in my 20’s and ever since I was born till date I have always seen my parent’ s nakedness, including my siblings. Getting naked is a norm in my family and no one ever see it absurd. Growing up to see my parents nakedness was nothing to me and I believed that helped a lot cos I was not curious about the opposite sex nakedness because of the fact that I see my parent. Infact I saw a breast as a breast, a penis as a penis… No huge importance was attached to them. But then am speaking just for myself. For other children it might affect them… But if ever in doubt of the effect on your child, I suggest you keep your self. There’s is no right choice or wrong here as no one can ever know perfectly for sure what’s on a child’s mind(we only assume based on our perception) and you also can’t predict if your choice will be of help or arm.
    We are made to be curious and our innate abilities will at some point purge our hunger to know more about sex whether or not we are exposed to our parents nakedness. In essence do what you know and believe is right for your child in as much as you’re not abusing them or seeing any inappropriate behavior .

• D

July 31, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I agree completely, this is my experience too and it gave me a healthy view of nudity.

9. Mr. Egghead

July 30, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Mi madre has gone topless in front of us for as long as I can remember. Just tops not bottoms She’s in her 50’s now and still takes off her top when the weather is too hot.
    Pops is a professional wearer of boxers lol.

At this point, I don’t see it as anything. My sibs and I have kinda been desensitized to all that

10. Ngozi

July 30, 2016 at 11:58 pm

Things have changed. I don’t feel comfortable getting naked in front of my children. When I was young, my great grandmum who sold stuff hardly made her wrapper cover her chest. Even children played around my area with panties alone. The world and minds are no longer the same. There is a lot of social media influence and pollution of the mind. I will discuss their bodies with them at the right time and age, I am not shy to do that but don’t feel comfortable going naked in front of them.

• Nkechi

July 31, 2016 at 8:57 pm

The day the children of this social media generation take your naked pictures and share them on Facebook or Instagram, katakata go burst. Some of them already vlog their parents and tell them later. Hmnnn.

11. Gorgeous

July 31, 2016 at 2:40 am

No big deal! It’s just boobs, ass or the cooch. A lot of you all had ancestors running around naked in front of strangers. Why are you now so afraid of the human body or nudity? If you are not a pervert and don’t ascribe some sinful status to your nudity your kids won’t see it as anything. We were raised with parents running around pretty nude. With many kids they could barely have time to cover up when we run up and down the house, and I didn’t turn out perverted or abused by anyone in my family. I think those against it have ver horrible background and experience.