Features

BN Travel: Oma Shares the Story of Her Summer 2016 Visit to Amsterdam

Day 1. Photo Credit Team Peter Stigter

Summer 2016 was such a memorable one for me as I got to spend the last weeks in Europe. It all started off from Amsterdam, one of the most expensive cities in Europe. Though I did not get to spend as much time there, I did have an experience which could guide you on your next journey to the city.

I stayed at Corendon Vitality Hotel which is an excellent hotel with a beautiful ambience. The rooms are comfortable and comes with facilities befitting of a hotel of its magnitude. The breakfast put into consideration, the fact that not everyone – including me – is a great adventurer when it comes to food; so I had my cereals, white bread, boiled egg, fruits, juice, different kinds of tea. They had all the other things that you might like to eat that I stay away from, but are typical European meals. You also get a sticker note in the room that allows you to pay a 10 Euro entry fee into the spa as opposed to 25 Euros. Fortunately, this was free for me.

You get to use the pool, the sauna, the steaming room and the hammam room. If you know how to give yourself a hammam massage or you’re out there with a partner or friends, you can get the Hammam kit. Alternatively, you can buy the contents of the kit; that way, you get to save 25 Euros.

The hotel also has a fitness centre which is free for guests. If you have to check out earlier than your flight or bus time, as in my case, you get to leave your things in the baggage room  – so long as you don’t have stock fish (like I did) in one of the bags. With the bag there, you can tour the city pending the time for your bus.

IMG_20160827_164249Kwame Koranteng from Ghana with the male host

Kratcht Vrouwen Oude West

Kratcht Vrouwen Oude West

I attended the Africa Fashion Week in Amsterdam which took place from the 24th to the 27th of August, 2016. The shows took place for 3 days with designers from Africa, Europe and UK. There were a few things that the organisers could have done differently like getting more sponsors but in all, it was a good show. The designers were mostly of African origins though majority of them were resident in the Diaspora. You could find out when the 2017 edition will hold and you can plan your visit to Amsterdam around that time.

Doranels
Three days might seem like too little a time but it was just enough for me to pay a visit to what I call the sex corner, The Red Light District. Amsterdam is known to have recognized prostitution as a profession- one which ladies get to pay taxes to the Government. The district is filled with ladies who showcase their physique through transparent doors like a showglass, trying to attract intending customers.

These ladies fine o…. no be say dem get facial deformation’. Infact, some of them must be spending their earnings for all that boob job and also to get their skin to glow behind the show glass. They even go for medical checks but who checks the men who come to sleep with them or is that just another professional risk? There are also other lights asides from the red like the blue for the Gay and the purple for the transgenders.

AmsterdamStill on The Red Light District, they have sex shops, sex museum and even sex cinemas with a huge sign on them saying, ‘Non-stop’. I couldn’t bring myself to enter any of these especially because I find it ridiculous and to think that one would pay all that Euros to actually get into any of these places is something that I would never fathom. There are also ‘coffee’ shops that you should be very wary of because they just might be offering you weed in place of coffee.Breakfast at Corendon Vitality Hotel
So, when next you are in Amsterdam, stay at Corendon Vitality Hotel, attend the Afriica Fashion Week Amsterdam and go check out what I said about the sex district. I feel like there are other fun things and places to visit in Amsterdam which I would like to hear from you.

Oma Ehiri is a lifestyle blogger and a Digital Media Consultant. She is also a Talent Manager with Ascend Talent Management and the Media Brand Ambassador for Veba Textile Mills.Life is her source of inspiration as she curates her thoughts on her website, www.sotectonic.com. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @oma263.

1. glow

October 16, 2016 at 3:11 pm

…this write-up is bland; like, I -am -not- in -the- mood- of writing- but -hey- I -have -an -obligation- to- fulfill-, so- i’ll- just- promote- the- hotel- and- the- fashion- week- since- I- have- been- paid- for-it kinda bland!

2. Could you be any less subtle?

October 16, 2016 at 4:45 pm

BN, this article should read “”Sponsored Content.”” It’s just an advertorial for the hotel.

3. Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

October 16, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Are you for real? This is it? First of all everything you mentioned regarding the hotel is offered by any mildly decent hotel. Secondly you didn’t write anything worthwhile regarding the event you attended, and seems the only place you visited was the sex corner, *rolls eyes”.

Maybe next time you can visit the Anne Frank house, Amsterdam has as array of museums that just might interest you such as Van Gogh.

If you’re looking for some place a bit tranquil that isn’t flooded by a trailer load of tourists you can visit the Begijnhof, awesome with some of the oldest houses in Amsterdam. Then there’s the port of Amsterdam very busy but if you go at night you can join a boat cruise that takes you along the canals giving great view of the city at night. A great place to get souvenirs will be at Kalverstraat market.
    Can’t believe you barely used 72hrs?

• lawee

October 16, 2016 at 5:58 pm

She isn´t for real !
      Amsterdam is not expensive at all: what would she have written about London?

She never got on the sightseeing bus, no boat cruise , no visit to the diamond museum / store, no madame Tussauds , Amsterdam Arena ?

I hope you had fun at the “RLD”?

• Iyke

October 16, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Lol… ..B&B offers same.
      she ate white bread and orange juice.. lol..maybe wanted to eat poached egg but wasn’t sure what it was.
      Amsterdam is not expensive…. Switzerland/Norway/UK/Ireland are the most expensive.

• californiabawlar

October 17, 2016 at 7:26 am

Bos! she say she didn’t touch any European looking food. Poached eggs are as European as they come if you ask me…hehehehe.
      I’m not one to judge her though…from Taraba to Punta Cana….anywhere I go, I find the rice and chicken dish and stick to it. I can’t come and ruin my adventure with stomuck pain.

• Cece

October 17, 2016 at 12:44 am

@ You couldn’t have said it better. The article is too mediocre. B.N doesn’t have time anymore to proof read some of their articles and see if the content justifies the title of the post. Too may articles coming in daily and I suppose they are more than the staff can handle.

4. Sophie

October 16, 2016 at 8:32 pm

This review was very uninspiring and judgemental. If you’ve never been to Amsterdam, the article would in no way encourage you to go. There are a lot of interesting things to do, plus the ‘coffee’ shops and the red light district are part of the country’s culture so even if you don’t appreciate it there is a better way to mention it without being so negative about it.
    Next time, please do better!

• Zarah A

October 16, 2016 at 10:07 pm

True

5. californiabawlar

October 17, 2016 at 7:21 am

My Summer 2016 was ‘lit’! Thank God for God…Travel does something great for my soul I swear. Maybe I should do a BN feature. Even lower cost airbnb trip will be more inspiring than this one.

Now I don’t care what hotel I land in any country, I must catch trips. I can’t believe this madam only had breakfast and went to the red light district. hoihoihoi…I laugh in German. So you waka all the way from ‘Lagos’ to Amsterdam to go and judge ashanas? Your own judgemental judy deserves a trophy o.
    Bia, so what did you have for lunch and dinner? Did you meet people? Did you visit museums? Let me stop here before it come and be like somebody is a witch or aunty agbaya…
    Next time just use TRIPADVISOR. Finito.

6. dunni

October 17, 2016 at 10:23 am

I was in Amsterdam in 2013. It was freezing that time of the year (January). still got to explore a bit. I called it the City of Museums and Bicycles (more than the average European city); oh and of Lakes. The lakes passed ran along many of the streets and buildings; t’was a beautiful mix. There are museums for about anything: museum of baths, of Flowers, of ‘Bags & Purses’! (yes!), of course museum of architecture…etc.
    One unique feature was the openable bridge that opens up to allow large boats or ships to pass; t’was beautiful to watch the road break up and begin to open unanticipated.
    Watch out for trams everywhere running alongside normal traffic and those bicycle riders!
    Places I remeber: Dam Square, Vondelpark, Leidseplein…

7. Oma

October 19, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for all your great suggestions. Now, I have better places to visit when next I have enough time to tour Amsterdam. I was there strictly for the Africa Fashion Week in Amsterdam before moving to Prague which was a more insightful experience for me. Watch out for that ! *wink*