Features

The Great Lady: Comparison, Envy, Jealousy & their Siblings

dreamstime_m_53777415I want to talk about an issue that has being on my mind for a while now… this issue of comparison, envy, jealousy and its siblings.

The issue of comparison is eating deep into our society especially with the advent of social media. All over Instagram, Facebook and the likes are filled with airbrushed photos and basically the paintings of a good perfect life.

Unfortunately people tend to gauge the progress of their lives by comparing themselves to others. This is really bad as its important to know that we all have different journeys in life, as our lives are different so are our challenges.

The fact that someone is always well put together doesn’t mean, everything is going on well for them. Some people look at me and think, mehn this babe has millions in her pocket, but that isn’t true. Sometimes I’m so broke, that it’s not funny. The fact that I always look good doesn’t mean I have all the money in the world.

If you don’t know someone well and you’re having sleepless nights, thinking they have it all going together, you couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Or imagine a couple you’ve being fantasizing about their marriage, you get to spend one day in their home and you can’t wait to run out, because what they have is a screensaver marriage.

You’re not yet married, and all your friends are married and having children? My dear calm down, our journeys in life are different.

Envy, jealously and comparison have led people into doing unthinkable things just to measure up or outdo the other person. If, unfortunately, you have a friend who is an envious or a jealous person, I would advise that you cut off such friendship.

Don’t compare yourself to others. You don’t know what they are going through, or the challenges the beautiful clothes are covering. He that wears the shoe only knows where it pinches.

By the way, if Instagram and Facebook makes you depressed, you have self esteem issues and you are spending way too much time on social media.

Never envy anybody; the person you are wishing to be like, is also praying to be like someone else. The key is being grateful and contentwith where you are now, while striving to be better.

Let no man be the yardstick with which you measure the success of your life. Success, to me, is achieving your God ordained purpose. Our life journeys are different, and that which you term a delay;, could be part of God’s plan for your life.

If you compare yourself to someone else, you are not wise. Don’t leave the road marked for you, to take someone else’s path; it will lead you to nowhere.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Adejoke was born in Zaria, Kaduna State (which she absolutely has no recollection of) and graduated from the University of Abuja with a BSc in Accounting at Gwagwalada (which she can’t believe she still lives in).She started writing because her life was boring and had no one to talk to, so she thought, why don’t I talk with the whole world?Her blog www.memoirsofagreatlady.com was born after she discovered a passion for writing, and that writing is therapeutic as she now lives a joyful purposeful life.If you visit the blog, its description says, a lifestyle blog created with a purpose to impact and inspire people to live their best life (helping people to have sense) which sums up what she loves to do.When she is not writing, she is baking (she makes the best chocolate cake) or disturbing her sister who she loves to pieces.

1. Odufa

October 13, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Wow! This is a very powerful message for everyone.

2. Great Lady

October 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm

THANK YOU ODUFA, I’M HAPPY YOU FIND IT INSPIRING.

3. Ayodeji alade

October 13, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I am so happy this article came on point and I believe everyone should learn from it envy is a virus. Great piece Great Lady well done

• Great Lady

October 13, 2016 at 2:15 pm

THANK YOU DEAR BFF. ENVY IS A DISEASE.

4. Pearl

October 13, 2016 at 2:15 pm

You’ve done it again…what more can I say? Keep them coming dear. Awesome read??

5. Catherine

October 13, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Great message my dear. To add to what you said, I personally feel that each of us must get to the point where we look at the good things happening to those around us and are able to celebrate with them irrespective of whether what we see is perfect or not; if we feel the picture is not as perfect as is being painted, then lets stop and say a prayer for that person and for ourselves to; after all love conquers all. Kudos to you once again

• Great Lady

October 13, 2016 at 2:27 pm

VERY TRUE CATHERINE. THANK YOU.

6. buss

October 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm

wonderful article with true words!

7. Bunmi

October 13, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Nice piece dear…… Comparism is indeed deadly.

8. Yemisi

October 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Lovely piece, keep it up. Thumbs up.

9. abiodun

October 13, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Nice one dear……keep it up

10. Yummychickcummummy

October 13, 2016 at 3:52 pm

the person you are wishing to be like, is also praying to be like someone else. Dt is just life. I pray we don’t get ourselves worked up over illusions of other lives. Nobody’s life is perfect. I can’t Come and kill myself

11. Beckyedes

October 13, 2016 at 4:02 pm

nice one. i love it

12. dami

October 13, 2016 at 4:30 pm

well said… God bless great lady… we all should learn from this…

13. Debbie

October 13, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Hmm this is so true. Envy has done a lot of harm than good to us. And I’ve noticed that envious people can go to any length to achieve and even surpass what they are envious of unfortunately if we can put that energy we put trying to compete with other peoples life into oir own life, we could become better people, for ourselves, future and those around us sef.

14. chikata

October 13, 2016 at 5:47 pm

So…envy is a feeling many ppl neva like to admit they feel…but I felt it recently… I bliv myslf to be a very rational person, but I couldn’t jst shake this off…now that I thnk abt it..didn’t knw why d feeling engulfed me dt bad…I go married and so did sme1 I knw…after looking @all d pics it just felt like her wedding was evrytin I wntd mine to be…however I ha ha read the scripture and feed myslf with the word to overcome the feeling bcos I realised I cudnt genuinely celebrate with the person…from the word I learnt that whatever feelings I was experiencing stemmed from my need of ppls validation..which didn’t matter…I am married to sme1 who loves me, makes me laugh..and I was focusing instead on d events of one day allowing myslf to b robbed of d joy of becomin one with my darling…bottom line..no one can claim best on any font..there will alwz b sme1 finer, sme1 sexier, richer, just realise they are not you…you and all that pertains to you are special

15. chikata

October 13, 2016 at 5:52 pm

BN…why is it so hard to type with a phone..see how all my texts r now filled with gbagauns…mscheewww

16. Tru

October 13, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Very good article.

17. Damilola Esho

October 13, 2016 at 6:12 pm

This is a great post. People need to learn that we are all different and we need to be contented with what we have. Believe in yourself and be happy

18. Sandra

October 13, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Inspiring dear. But “been” instead of “being”

19. ATL's finest

October 14, 2016 at 5:28 am

Well written. Folks fail to realize that someone wi always be richer, cuter , slimmer etc. Be content at the moment while U ask note from God .. Delcare and let him deliver. Been Evious, is an an incurable mxis.

20. Bobo Jay

October 14, 2016 at 10:24 am

Great piece again,thanks for this!

21. Damola A

October 14, 2016 at 12:35 pm

This is something my mother tried to make us understand growing up. She always said we all have different paths, don’t compare yours to others.
    Good job writing this, it is something we ought to remember always!