Style

Inspired by The Black Panthers of The 60’s – Morafa presents The Sauciety SS ’17 Collection

Sauciety: A non-conformist in society. Not just a rebel but an unorthodox person willing to challenge societal norms and make a statement with their sense of style.

The Sauciety collection represents that individual staking a claim in society through their sense of style, making a silent yet loud statement by adding “sauce” to their style thus refusing to succumb to a conventional look for everyday life.

The Black Panthers of the sixties, originally the Black Panther party for self-defense, was an African-American revolutionary party founded in 1966. The glory days when men and women walked around with so much confidence and their fashion was as iconic as their movement. The dawn of a new era, the rise of the new cool black, an era of creativity and visually celebrating true blackness, an era when black was poetry, the black panthers made us realise how powerful being Black is, worthy of imitation and praise.

In this collection, Morafa looks to clothe the modern day man/woman in well-structured jackets, dresses made with unconventional luxurious fabrics, including damask, wool, sequin, velvet, and the label’s unconventional use of lace as embellishments.

Credits
Photo/Creative Direction: Enyeasi Kadara | @enyeasi.k
Outfits: Morafa | @morafaofficial
Styling: Morafa |@morafaofficial, King Duke | @stylenorme, Adesola Ogunnaike | @rekabentuk
Models: Niyi Ayeni | @niyi_a, Kamil Mahmud | @kamilitarry, Mayowa Olarinmoye | @mayowa_xo
Makeup: Onuoha Victoria | @__vicky_o
Words Transcribed by: Olohunde Thompson | @lunadeeee

1. Nv

March 27, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Hmmmmn, okay o.
    I like the black leather shoes. If I could, I’d get me one of the jackets (coats?) even though it’s for men.
    Cause the ladies are just, mmba! And why are they showing us pictures of the women bending down like that? Hian!

2. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

March 27, 2017 at 10:29 pm

This is quite boring, same old suit designs, same cut… Everyone is trying too hard these days!!! Are u here to showcase you can turn 360 degrees on the bed or your clothes. I don’t get…..

3. gurl_wendy

March 28, 2017 at 3:54 am

@uncle gwe gwe, what are you talking about, this is simply beautiful with a unique theme, the suits have a good cut and great fitting with great fabric, lets learn to give honor where it is due and not tear peoples hard work down with careless comments, you too design your own and post it on bellanaija let’s see.

4. tunmi

March 28, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I like the background abi backdrop. It works well with the clothes and the models

5. Susie

March 29, 2017 at 7:34 am

Oh god how I hate that bobby brown bare chest in a jacket look! (& believe me, it’s worse when it’s a hairy chest). The use of metallic materials in these clothes is nice. Otherwise they’re not my favorite looks

6. BlackNBold

April 4, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I am proud of you Seun. keep soaring higher and looking forward to seeing your amazing designs at Lagos Fashion And Design Week

7. Joana

April 4, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I think the concept is really nice. I found the female model on instagram and she’s really pretty. Her actual handle is @mayowaa_xo anyway

8. Joana

April 4, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I really love it. The models portrayed the concept so well and the outfits are spot on! Buut the female model’s handle is actually mayowaa_xo really pretty I love her