Features

BN Confession Box: I Got Employed With Fake CV, Now I’m At Risk Of Losing My Job

Nkem Ndem

Hi guys, BN Confession Box is a new feature on BellaNaija – curated by Nkem Ndem. The Confession Box is our virtual confessor’s box where BellaNaijarians can let loose and say their deepest and rawest fears.
These letters are from you, and we’ll ensure that your identity is protected. Everybody needs some form of outlet or the other.

***
When people always say things like “there is nothing hidden under the sun” or “99 days may be for but one day is for the owner of the house,” I don’t mind them because I have seen people who have gotten away with so many evil things and the sun did not expose them. Forget it. I think I just don’t have a lucky star. I am so afraid and confused right now though. In this time of Buhari, I may be about to lose my job all because of one small lie. One little mistake.

The whole thing started years ago. I had graduated for some years but I had not gotten any job. As the first son of my mother, it was disappointing for the family. She had saved a lot of money to put me through school. She always used to brag to her friends about her son that can speak English who will soon be very rich. I was not a lazy son. I hustled for jobs. I tried everything.

I worked as a photocopying man in an office for a while, then as an admin assistant (but was sacked), and then I worked also as a teacher in a small school around my area. It was while working at this school that I got news about a soon-to-be-opened British school that was looking to employ teachers with degrees in education and with good teaching experience. One of my colleagues gave me the information and since I had 3 years teaching experience, we both decided to apply. I knew I did not have all the requirements for the job, since I did not have a teaching degree. The school I was working in was just a rubbish school, looking to suck money from cheap parents, who wanted cheap school, without actually giving their children good education. They took me because I looked presentable and I could speak English. Honestly, that was all they needed from their teachers.

Anyway, in my desperation, I went to Lagos Island and found someone who helped me make a fake certificate from the Faculty of Education, University of Lagos. I paid a lot for it too. The same person even helped me arrange my CV, and so I sent it into the new international school. I applied to teach Mathematics in their secondary school. I studied Mathematics and Statistics in Federal Polytechnic Ado-Ekiti, so it was something I knew I could teach very well.

To be honest, when you are applying for a low ranking position like “Teacher”, a little lying is not a big deal. But then, you never know how much you can rise in the job. So you never imagine the possibility of the little lie coming back and to threaten your career.

In the 9 years, I worked in this British school, I have been promoted from simple Class Teacher to Head of Department, then to Head of Key Stage. It is a very good job and I make a lot of money. Aside from the salary, I get extra cash from private lessons and exam preparations classes with students. I even travelled out of the country a few times with students on trips.

Where the problem lies now is that, our school just employed a new head teacher who has invited an agency from the UK to come and inspect the school to see that it has international standards – so that they can award the school some form of accreditation from the UK. The head teacher said that other international schools in the country have the accreditation; if the school gets it, they will get more students and more recognition. In that regard, they informed all staff that they will have to thoroughly vet their employment circumstances to be sure there is no loophole at all, and the school is no penalized in any way for not meeting all criteria.

I have never been this worried! What if they will find out my little secret? In the last couple of years, I have done some extra teaching programs and training, but will that protect me? Will they consider the fact that I am one of the pioneering staff and cover my job? I don’t know what to think right now. My wife is pregnant and I cannot afford to lose my job right now. I have just been praying to God, hoping that he will answer me. My wife does not even know about this whole thing. I don’t want to tell her or anyone.

In this life, you cannot trust anybody. I would have posted this on Joro, but people there only talk about marriage, relationship, and sex. I have seen other confessions here, so, I just felt that confessing it here will help me feel relieved. Also, I want serious advice. I am hoping people can give me ideas on how I can help myself right now. I am not proud, I can do anything.

***
Do you have any confession you would like to make or shocking tale you’ld like to tell? Please send your story to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com.

Photo Credit: Dmitriy Shironosov | Dreamstime.com

Nkem Ndem is an energetic and highly accomplished Media Consultant who loves to help small businesses, especially women-led, grow their online presence using the right digital strategy or transition from traditional organizational boundaries. With years of experience in Copywriting and Editing, Content Branding and Strategy, Social media, and Digital Marketing, she is clearly obsessed with Digital Communications. She is the Head of Content and Lead Consultant at Black Ink Media - an Ideation and Content Agency that excels in providing fresh, creative digital services to content-centric businesses. Find out more about her at www.blackinkm.com or send her an e-mail at [email protected] Also follow her on IG: @nkemndemv, Twitter: @ndemv.

1. MurdaSheWrote

May 7, 2017 at 8:46 pm

The Nkem Ndem I have come to know and read probably “created” this story LOL.

• jefka

May 7, 2017 at 10:59 pm

If you “know” she created it, why bother to read it or even comment?????
      What makes you a joke is the fact that you always refresh your page hoping to see another article from Nkem.
      And no; this is not Nkem, I am just tired of peeps saying trash about a lady who entertains people with her writing. Sometimes these articles may not appeal to us but pls jump and pass.
      Let me ask you a question; when you go to the market and you see items you cannot afford or don’t like, do you stand there telling the seller how ugly her egusi is or how her stall reeks of fish????
      Pls, if you cannot help the poster, then shut it.

• Maami

May 8, 2017 at 12:02 am

Wow. I hope all is well at home. Chai.

• molarah

May 8, 2017 at 12:50 pm

See, even if she is making the stories up, hapu ya like that. Leave it alone. This harping on every Confession Box article on how the stories don’t seem real is old. Even if the story is fictional, some are reading and will learn through the comments on how to get out of the mess they are in. E don do abeg.

• Fleur

May 9, 2017 at 12:45 am

Seriously? Did this writeup not just out the writer except the character is afigment Of someone’s imagination? well pray. Since you have done well in the 9 yrs you were there, They may hesitate much to let you go. People value the productivity part more than anything else. Especially in Nigeria where replacing quality teachers is almost impossible.

2. marvel

May 7, 2017 at 8:46 pm

bro, you should come out clean otherwise, you ll keep lying to cover up your tracks. and we all know that that’s very stressful.

3. Adunnie

May 7, 2017 at 8:57 pm

I’m not judging you o but oga you no try at all. What’s done is done sha. I think you should just resign from the job before you’re fished out. You may not only lose your job, you may get locked up behind bars too. You committed fraud. God cannot answer that your prayer because you didn’t consult him and wait for him to make a way for you instead you went to forge certificate and CV. You may get caught and you may not get caught. If you want to take your chances then stay put and face the music if things go sideways. But in my own opinion just resign jeje and look for work to do with your REAL CERTIFICATE before you are disgraced beyond measures. May God help you. You no even tell your wife you do bad thing like this. When casala burst now you go they transfer aggression on her head dey form man of the house. You better retrace your steps before it is too late. Best of luck

4. john

May 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

In this life, you cannot trust anybody. I would have posted this on Joro, but people there only talk about marriage,relationship, and sex……it is likely mkem removed BN and put in joro in this fake formulated confession..or the dude just jumped from frying pan to fire ,Bn audience is not exactly known for intelligence ( even though they truly believe they do)..they only know about men , feminists, marriage and sex nothing else..oh divorce articles too

• Ethio

May 7, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Hahahaha John this your comment is bae.

• Ife

May 8, 2017 at 5:28 am

This JOhn sha. Did NKem Ndem Jilt you? You are quite obsessed. Please park one side.

• Hian

May 8, 2017 at 7:10 am

@john you do realize you are part of the BN audience right. Antonia!

5. x

May 7, 2017 at 9:04 pm

You wont find the answers you need on a blog bro, earnestly and humbly talk to God

6. truth

May 7, 2017 at 9:29 pm

I will recommend u open up to ur wife and also resign. Use the money you have saved and start a business., maybe a tutoring business. You make your decision. either confess or leave with ur secret.

7. Matilda

May 7, 2017 at 10:41 pm

bros just resign asap.atleast you have made money from this fraud

8. abi

May 7, 2017 at 11:34 pm

God is God of impossibilities,i think u should start applying for other jobs,it could be similar jobs but with your real certificate and your experience,who knows things might turn out for the best.good luck

9. aunty

May 8, 2017 at 12:20 am

resign… no point! thats the thing about lies. they follow you around for the rest of your life.

10. I

May 8, 2017 at 12:39 am

If you were not going to be found out before, now you would be. Too much info mean.

11. Ijs

May 8, 2017 at 12:42 am

Most companies force people into lies with their unrealistic expections. While I may exaggerate on my cv, and make plans to study my exaggerated skills, I won’t forge a certificate. In your case, you may get locked up and once again reduce foreigners opinion of Nigerians. Anyway, since na mago mago u take start, find how you can go to where your file is kept and replace fake with original. Make it look like its on them for for hiring you in the first place and now youve proven yourself so na to start weekend education program. This will only work if there are no scanned copies. Otherwise resign and send your CV to schools on that same level. One should hire you.

12. greendiamond

May 8, 2017 at 2:38 am

i cannot lie, you are asking God to cover up your lies. and i doubt God answers such that will make him not God. But what do i know i may be wrong. if this is something you know they will actually find out that you did not go that school and they have all the information they used to employ you, then I SUGGEST you Quit! at least you still have your lesson students , small cash can still be coming out. you can apply for another teaching position with your experience and short courses you have taken over the year. you case isnt that serious, this will cover up your non degree hold for education for sure and can also make a deal of going to get this degree while working in your new school. Your issue is not serious, you will be fine. (by the way if this is some type of fictional character get a grip)

13. Bella Noire

May 8, 2017 at 4:44 am

Can you enroll in a part-time course for a teaching degree? If your lie is discovered, perhaps they’ll be more lenient if you’re actually working towards getting a degree.

14. Fabulous

May 8, 2017 at 8:05 am

Dude resign and start teaching tutorials or lessons or start a business. More importantly, open up to your wife.

15. Nigeria always on my mind...

May 8, 2017 at 9:48 am

This is a bad dilemma you have found yourself in.. fake a strong reason to resign from the school but keep your part time teaching ongoing.
    If you are found out, the disgrace will be too much. The risk of your lie not being discovered is low.

16. Jay

May 8, 2017 at 9:58 am

Well, everyone has stated the obvious, that you lied in your job application and falsified your qualifications. I am sure you have realised the error of your ways.

Moving on, I hope in all that time you were teaching at the school, you have made efforts to regularise your qualifications and even acquired more. If yes, you may choose to come clean with a high ranking member of staff with an amiable disposition and influence to ensure you keep your job. Fingers crossed, you may just be reprimanded and maybe demoted, but you WILL keep your job.

If not, I would advise that you graciously resign and seek work elsewhere , with your current work experience your chances of getting employed are high. Bear in mind that you have to obtain your teaching certification as well since it is an important criteria for getting your foot in the door.

GOODLUCK!

17. Ajala & Foodie

May 8, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Talk about baba nla (big time) irony, “TO BE HONEST, when applying for a low ranking job there is nothing wrong with a little lying”. No that is not honest…. thank goodness,dude is confessing not asking for help and No I don’t feel an iota of sadness for you. And before anyone tries to come for me by asking if I have never made a mistake. Let me say I have but I am also grown to not only accept responsibility but acknowledge when I am wrong. This individual does not see ANYTHING wrong with his actions, according to him, it is just “bad luck”.

These are the same people that complain about our senators falsifying documents. If you will lie about a low grade job like teacher and still have no problem justifying your actions, then it is only a foregone conclusion that you will do far more when more is at stake. Do you think Dino Malaye just made up those certificates in one sitting? No!!! He started just like you have and I am certain, justified it just like you are doing. I have said it before and I will say it again we can remove all the people in office (position of authority) today and replace them with a new and younger generation and things will most likely be the same, because it is mind set issue. The lies, deceit and greed is now considered the way of life, to do otherwise or even think otherwise is outside the norm. God save ??

18. Bee

May 8, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Bro i pray God Almighty help u go through this..just ask d lord 4 mercy and forgiveness of sin