BN TV

“Anything (boys) did I thought I could do”: Season Finale of “King Women” Featuring Engineer Mayen Adetiba is a Must Watch!

The final episode of Kemi Adetiba‘s King Women is out! This episode features Kemi’s mother Engineer Mayen Modupeola Adetiba.

Engineer Mayen talked about how her mother used to have problems with her teachers because they always complain that she behaved like boys. “That’s my life,” Mayen said, adding that she grew up with boys and did everything the boys did.

“Whatever they did I always thought I could do,” she said.

She shared a story of her time at a Dutch company when she learnt that she wasn’t supposed to enjoy some benefits as her male counterparts.

“I have grey matter like everybody else and I was not employed as a female engineer but as an engineer,” she told the managing Director, adding “I need you to give me what is due me.. Just like my male counterparts.”

Watch:

1. Sika

June 26, 2017 at 10:52 pm

She included her mum- how original.

• Anonymous

June 26, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Why so bitter? did you even watch or listen to the woman’s story?. U r what is wrong with the world. You should have watched it to form a balanced view.

• Puzzles

June 27, 2017 at 8:40 am

Her mother is a successful woman and a good example. Why shouldn’t she include her?

• adelegirl

June 27, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Because her mum is a King Woman in her own right. Please google Mayen Adetiba. She is a pioneer in her field. I started reading abut her in the news when I was knee high. She deserves her spot in the series.

• Simi

June 27, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Because her Mom inspired it, inspired the name ‘King Woman’, inspired and continues to inspire her, and because her Mom deserves the inclusion in her own right.

• Nuna

June 28, 2017 at 8:42 am

Maybe you should do your research on Mayen Adetiba.

2. Nee

June 26, 2017 at 11:02 pm

King (aka rich) women.

3. Biola

June 26, 2017 at 11:15 pm

I like that we have pedigree and old money like this being showcased and brought to our screens.
    Thank God for you Kemi Adetiba.
    Sorry to sound condescending but there is not a lot of with such pedigree around. Her mum is so well spoken. Thoroughly bred. About my mum’s age. I think i have quite a lot in common with miss adetiba☺☺☺☺. More than i can spill here

• Corolla

June 27, 2017 at 1:53 am

Why must you knock other women down? If you want to wear makeup and slay on IG, you should. Many girls are making money and advancing themselves through this same makeup. There is room for everyone, no need to look down on anyone.

• Marian

June 27, 2017 at 2:43 am

Lol, clap for yourself!!!!!!!! May your pedigree continue to bring you comfort. Some Nigerians sha, Hiss!

• Biola

June 27, 2017 at 3:52 am

@Corolla, you might want to check the meaning of “equate” in a dictionary or simply use gugu. Hun?

• Biola's comment

June 27, 2017 at 5:37 am

Corolla and co.
      Those who understand what biola said, understand and appreciate it.
      You are not under any obligation to appreciate it. I don’t see the need for you to make such shade. Pls lets not be quick to ‘attack’

• lilo

June 27, 2017 at 6:18 am

Sounding like the a typical pedigree-obsessed Lagosian. Always ready to use big name or big phonetics to undermine the next person’s hustle. Folorunsho Alakija came from nothing and she may not be able to blow grammar eloquently o but guess who the richest African woman is? Mschewwwwwww! I can’t stand this elitist modern day discrimination that some of you insist on forming yet primary school certificate holders are the ones calling the shots in that your daggone Nigeria.

• High Class People

June 27, 2017 at 8:45 am

And your comment is the real reason some of you hate ladies like Linda Ikeji and Toke Makinwa.

How dare they become successful and popular in their various endeavors when they don’t have “pedigree”? When they don’t belong to the “class”?

If Linda Ikeji and Toke Makinwa belonged to the so-called “class”, the amount of hate they both receive in Bella Naija would be far less than what they do now.

Thank God for God who doesn’t look down on others but can raise up a person from the dust.

• Anon

June 27, 2017 at 11:08 am

lilo; Folorunsho Alakija came from nothing and she may not be able to blow grammar eloquently o but guess who the richest African woman is?

a) She did not come from nothing. Her family is very prominent in Ikorodu. Her father was very rich.
      b) She blows grammar eloquently and sometimes with a twang.

Of course she blew up with the oil deals.

• Anon

June 27, 2017 at 11:51 am

lilo – Folorunsho Alakija came from nothing and she may not be able to blow grammar eloquently o but guess who the richest African woman is?

Wrong example.

1) She’s from a very wealthy Ikorodu home. Her Dad was a multi-millionaire in his lifetime.
      2) She blows grammar eloquently and sometimes, with a twang.

She blew up extra extra with the oil deals, but she was born with a silver spoon.

BN – 2nd time I’ve had to type this comment. You fried the 1st one.

• Bolaji

June 27, 2017 at 12:38 pm

“Its always been plain to see that you were nurtured with class and not in the category of current IG slayers who equate money and well applied make up with pedigree.” Biola, you are my new best friend 🙂 lol!

• Josephine

June 27, 2017 at 1:09 pm

@ Lilo, Mrs Alakija is from a rich home and blows serious grammar. She schooled in England for many years.

• corolla

June 27, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Whichever way you put it, your comment reeks of condescension. Your first statement “I like that we have pedigree and old money like this being showcased and brought to our screen”, shows the exact type of person you are. E pele awon pedigree and old money.Typical basic Lagos girl mentality.

• Nuna

June 28, 2017 at 8:43 am

So because IG slayers don’t have pedigree, they should not live their lives abi? SMH

4. Fbi blood

June 27, 2017 at 1:08 am

I really love this…I love the fact that she spoke eloquently.

5. [email protected] com

June 27, 2017 at 8:49 am

Pedigree my foot…. Fake nonsense.
    A girl that lies will be a prostitute?? . ?
    With all due respect , this is an all planned interview.
    @ Biola there are so many Nigerian women out there, home and abroad from very decent backgrounds. Who venture into Make -up, hair, fashion , catering, events and so on . Many of whom need social media to exapand thier clientale and horizons. Let us not belittle thier success and dreams too.
    Personally I am not a social media person , but will knock no one else’s hustle down.
    Also, every family has thier own issues , watching them on them online dont make them perfect.

6. bey

June 27, 2017 at 9:14 am

@lilo why the bitterness.
    Who told you Folorunsho Alakija came from nothing. Someone that came from the popular ogbara family and schooled in England from age 7. You may want to use another illustration.
    I wonder why ppl often get angry when issues like class is discussed.
    I was brought up in a very comfortable background. Not to say my father was the richest but we lived a very good life; went to good schools and mixed with even wealthier individuals that probably received 10times more pocket money than me,drove nice rides while I managed my mum’s 2nd hand Honda civic.
    But guess what I never felt less than these ppl. No hating,no envy. Everyone was one and the same. You don’t even notice class or anything of that nature. Because you are confident in who you are and what you are; you don’t notice such things.
    I can adapt to any environment. I am friends with ppl whose parents are top 20 richest in Nigeria. I am also friends with people are school teachers in govt schools.
    Learn to love ppl no matter where they are from.
    I don’t think it is anyone’s fault if they are born in wealth.

• Anon

June 27, 2017 at 11:09 am

bey – just scrolled down and read your comment after replying to lilo.

• Biola

June 27, 2017 at 11:24 am

@Bey, I totally understand where these people who are ranting and being terribly uncomfortable with my comment are coming from.
      It makes them angry.
      Pedigree and background are two things you cant ever change and not many people are born with it. Money may come, etc but your pedigree needs no introduction. I didn’t attack anyone’s hustle. I would just appreciate it if Toke makinwa is taken off any equation or sentence that Linda appears in.
      Wo, people are entitled to their opinion. I understand their anger and bitterness.
      I give it to the Adetibas. They are class. They are pedigree!

• Ephi

June 27, 2017 at 11:29 am

———————————-
      Bey, just wanted to re-echo what you said. Imho, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I love the king women series and it would be great if we all focused on the positives. I get Biola’s comment and I don’t think she was trying to undermine others. But I can also see why people feel otherwise considering the Lagos “big-name, who is your father” setting.

7. [email protected] com

June 27, 2017 at 9:30 am

Bella Naija, I knew you wont post my previous comment.
    At the end of the day, almost all posts you put up, will get mixed response.

• BellaNaija.com

June 27, 2017 at 11:56 am

Hi @abimbola, all comments for this post have been published. In some cases, comments are held for review by a moderator. Thank you

8. Mary

June 27, 2017 at 9:39 am

In as much as I love the King women series, I feel this episode did not do much justice; too long and its sequence was not too perfect. But then again, well done Kemi. Looking forward to the next episode!!!

9. kayla

June 27, 2017 at 11:58 am

people will always have negative thing to say. sad much

10. Ijele nwanyi oma

June 27, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I like Mrs Adetiba.
    What she said resonates with me.
    I also hate borrowing or lending.
    It’s just too stressful.
    Lying leads to stealing and so on.
    You can’t tell me anything.
    Angry people that went to pokipoki university calm down.

11. Josephine

June 27, 2017 at 6:55 pm

This is so inspiring!

12. nene

June 27, 2017 at 9:25 pm

she is an accomplished woman but this was boring and pretentious. seemed like she was boasting at several points. “i was in columbia university in new york”, “my sister worked at the central bank of nigeria”. these boastful injections had no impact to the points she was trying to prove.

• someone

June 28, 2017 at 12:33 am

don’t be silly

• Biola

June 28, 2017 at 2:00 am

My own is that it is unfair to bring Toke down to Linda’s level.
      Toke and Linda are not in the same league

• Biola

June 28, 2017 at 2:05 am

When Linda is bragging on a daily basis about superficial and frivolous things like the name of a designer she is wearing or the “raincoat” ?? on some fake bag, its ok abi?
      You all scream “go girl chop your money”. So there should be nothing wrong in mama adetiba talking about these things. For one its an interview and secondly, it is who they are.

• molarah

June 28, 2017 at 1:17 pm

It’s not good not to have sense.

If you were listening well, you’d have noticed she made those quotes when she was retelling the accounts of the death of her parents, and used them to create context. Don’t allow your bad belle towards folks that are accomplished cloud your sense of reasoning.