Features

XPloreNollywood: 7 Reasons Why You Should See Wonder Woman

Efeturi Doghudje

Without sounding too corny or coming off as feminist, I was truly looking forward to Wonder Woman – the superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name and distributed by Warner Bros. At this stage, not sure who is winning the war between DC Comics (Warner Bros) or Marvel (Walt Disney), but between them, there has been a testosterone filled surge of male super heroes that unfortunately had women as backup and never in the lead.

There has technically been no superhero movie with a woman in the lead; yes there was Elektra, Black Widow and a host of others, but women were not in the lead.

Set in 1918, the film tells the story of Princess Diana, who grows up on the Amazon island of Themyscira. After American pilot, Steve Trevor crashes, offshore of the island and is rescued by Diana, he tells her about the ongoing World War. She then leaves her home to end the conflict, becoming Wonder Woman in the process.

So, if you’re unsure about whether to see Wonder Woman, asides all the female empowerment aspects attached to it, here are 7 fun reasons to go see the movie:

It’s been 38 years since the first Wonder Woman Series
Technically, it’s almost 70 as Wonder Woman was introduced to the comics earlier. However, from articles and research, it’s been a struggle to introduce a live-action Wonder Woman – especially after the TV series starring, Lynda Carter. (Who remembers that series? It used to run on NTA!)
Asides the animated series, I yearned for a full-length feature on a super hero that focused on a woman, so I was pretty happy for this and tripped to watch the movie.

The Costume
With the number of years that have passed, development and technology, I love the upgrade to the costume. Our previous Wonder Woman, series and animation wore the corset and an underwear (not sure what to call it), which sort of suited its time.
I really think that this new costume that comes with the skirt and the armour is sick, compared to the original. It also gives the character her Greek heritage, as a daughter of Zeus.

It’s a prequel/build up or coming together of the Justice League
Wonder Woman’s appearance in Batman V Superman was one of the best highlights of the movie. This film kicks off with the symbol of Wayne Enterprisee delivering a parcel, so if this isn’t a build up to the Justice League Movie – along with the others we saw in Batman V Superman – then I don’t know what is. It doesn’t look like the Green Lantern would be part of the movie though, but I can’t hide my excitement!

CGI and Effects didn’t look over the top
So, the movie is set around World War I, and whilst I wasn’t born then, I tried to imagine what kind of technology was prevalent at that time to have a Super Heroine that didn’t look out of place. So obviously, Computer Generated Imagery (CGI) did most of the work; but when you have some excellent special effects, by an Oscar-winning VFX supervisor in the person of Bill Westenhofer, who did Life of Pi, Stuart Little, The Witch And The Wardrobe, it had better be good and totally worth it.

Robin Wright was a Bad Ass
The Robin Wright I grew up knowing from “Princess Bride” was meek, humble and quiet; and even though series like ‘House of Cards’ changed the humble bit of her, it was awesome to see her fight and defend her kind with a huge grin on her face – like this is the fight I have been waiting for all this while. It was epic!

Gal Gadot in another light
Who knew Gal was the lady in the Fast & Furious Series that died in part 5 or was it 6? I swear down ehen, I saw her in another light after watching this movie. The former model and Israeli soldier was effortless, in shape and nothing short of flawless. If there was a real Greek god and she looked like Gal, she will be worshiped. Those camera angles did her justice, and I can’t get enough of how perfectly she displayed the awesomeness that is the female gender with her amazing portrayal of the character.

Great Cast, Story and Lines
Yes! Forgive me, asides Gal and Robin, there was Chris Pine, Danny Huston, David Thewlis, Connie Nielsen, and Elena Anaya.

I wasn’t a fan of the villain though, he was just blah; but I loved how the other people fitted nicely to their roles.
The film roped in real-life athletes to play the role of the Amazonian warriors, so people like American Crossfit champion Brooke Ence, Swedish professional fighter Madeleine Vall Beijner, and American boxer, Ann Wolfe, were in the movie to kick some ass.

I also caught some of the lines in the movie, powerful yet funny and satirical, proving that Marvel isn’t the only one with a sharp wit!

Lest I forget, the story, piecing all our knowledge of Wonder Woman and how she got to be, was a sigh of relief for me. We know Superman, Batman, Iron Man or Captain America’s pasts, but Wonder Woman wasn’t quite clear. Technically, she would be older than any other super hero combined.

The movie is currently receiving positive reviews, and has set a couple of records for its female director, but you know what? It is currently showing in cinemas around you.

Go see it for yourself and thank me later!

Photo Credit: Starstock | Dreamstime.com

Efeturi is an ardent lover of movies and currently the publisher of www.xplorenollywood.com a Nigerian film critic site that reviews everything Nollywood with the aim of strengthening the Nigerian Movie Industry. She hopes to use her platform to stir the industry in the right direction and has taken steps to ensure that her reviews are fun, entertaining and punchy without avoiding the main issues which is to have world-class productions in Nigeria.You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram on @Xplorenollywood and listen to her live on 92.3 Inspiration FM every Saturday at 9pm.

1. tunmi

June 25, 2017 at 5:26 pm

In another news, there is something wrong in coming off as a feminist. Never mind that this entire movie, with the director and the actors, came about thanks to feminism.

But yeah I’m excited for the Black Panther movie. I would love to love Wonder Woman but apparently the depiction of non-white women wasn’t too great. I’m happy for what the movie means, I am. I just also want to see my brown folks

2. Tee

June 25, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I can tell anyone that wants to listen especially those that watch series a lot, wonder woman was trash.

3. Josephine

June 25, 2017 at 6:19 pm

And what’s wrong with coming off as a feminist?

4. chi

June 25, 2017 at 6:42 pm

no black women in the movie…so much for sisterhood

• Enitan

June 25, 2017 at 7:33 pm

DID YOU WATCH THE MOVIE CHI? there were quite a number of black women

5. Jude

June 25, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Great one Efe. Let me add that it is doing fantastically well at the box office – both locally and internationally. Unfortunately, RENTRAK is yet to capture figures from this region.
    DC did well in this one, I can now forgive the taboo committed in DAWN OF JUSTICE. However, my love still stays with MARVEL…

6. LAGOS CITY CHIC

June 25, 2017 at 7:36 pm

I’m yet to see Wonder Woman. Plan to go watch it to tomorrow, I hope it lives up to my expectations haha

Check out my guide to Ikeja on the weekend
    lagoscitychic.blogspot.com.ng/2017/06/lagos-city-guide-to-ikeja-in-weekend.html

7. June

June 25, 2017 at 8:20 pm

I am a woman. I watched the movie. it was shiitee! Feminist ki. Feminist no. I wanted my money back.

8. bruno

June 25, 2017 at 8:28 pm

ur praising the movie the same way critics are praising the movie cause it was directed by a female and its a female super hero movie.

the human race has finally reached this stage were something may not be good but we will praise for political correctness.

according to what I have read the movie isn’t good. its just okay but oyinbo critics are praising it cause its a win for women, a female superhero film directed by a woman. same thing with that awful ghost busters remake with an all female cast. they praised this movie cause it had an all female cast but the movie was complete shit.

be truthful and dont be clouded by emotion, is this movie actually good? cause DC are not known for making good superhero films
    batman vs superman and suicide squad were terrible. terrible pacing, terrible CGI, terrible story. unlike marvel. I enjoyed all the captain America movies.the iron man movies are excellent also. pls lets praise something cause its good not cause it has a female as the lead character or it has a black character as the lead.

to me marvel is winning the war when it comes to superhero movies. doctor strange was good, very funny, the thor movies were good, deadpool was great, the wolverine movies were great, the trailer for black panther looks amazing, the trailer for spiderman also looks great and according to reports they are making a captain marvel movie. captain marvel is a female superhero, she’s the equivalent to captain America.

DC on the other hand have messed up superman. all the superman movies are terrible.suicide squad was a complete mess. viola davis and margot robbie were the only good things in this movie. the trailer for justice league looks terrible. so dark with horrible CGI
    why did they cast ben affleck as batman?

• Weezy

June 26, 2017 at 5:03 pm

For once I agree with Bruno.

The movie was lame. Marvel makes better superheroes

9. Amir

June 25, 2017 at 8:29 pm

“There has technically been no superhero movie with a woman in the lead” big false…. There was Cat woman played by Halle Berry and she had the lead role. DC is trying. That Batman vs. Superman movie was trash. Marvel is still Baba.

10. Social Media 9

June 25, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I saw it last weekend, its a good movie!

11. Lliki

June 25, 2017 at 9:33 pm

What is it with all the hype, this movie was trash, I couldn’t tortured myself to staying till the end of the movie. People Now overhyped mediocre movies because it has female lead or because it was directed by females.
    Where did we go wrong

12. Efeturi Doghudje

Efeturi Doghudje

June 25, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Many thanks for the comments guys. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a feminist, as i am all for equality, but the movie Wonder Woman was much more that just a having a female director. The movie is a movement, just like all the other superhero movies have been. So this break down was for people to see the other aspects and the movement.

13. Efeturi Doghudje

Efeturi Doghudje

June 25, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Bruno, you are so correct. But with this movie for me, DC earns a point, might not put them ahead, but shows they are thinking in the right direction as it relates to female superheros till Marvel comes up with theirs. As i also mentioned, lets not look at it only from a female perspective, the movie was directed by a woman, yes but sfx, story and screen play were all done by men, so its a win across board.

For the guys that felt it was trash, sorry you feel that way. I always think, that one cannot truly appreciate the super hero movies if you haven’t really been expose to them through the comics, animations or series. It’s much more than entertainment, it is a movement!

• June

June 26, 2017 at 11:16 am

“For the guys that felt it was trash, sorry you feel that way. I always think one cannot truly appreciate the superhero movies if you haven’t really been exposed to them through the comics , animations or series. ” REALLYYYY ???? !!!!!! How condescending do you sound????? Exposed ?? Do you even know what that word means?? Just listen to yourself. Do you live in peoples homes with them to know the comics , series and animations they grew up with and still read ?????

It’s much more than just entertainment , it’s a movement . And you are clearly just on the bandwagon “Madame Exposed” The movie was trash and is doing well in box offices because of the hype and sentiments people are putting into the director being female. Most people cannot call a spade a spade these days ! A movement indeed.

• June

June 26, 2017 at 11:21 am

Oh and this is coming from a woman that has studied “analyzing films” ( i.e. Technicalities of plans, dialogues, lighting, frames – the works in movies)

• Weezy

June 26, 2017 at 5:09 pm

No dear.

I was never “exposed” to Lord of the Rings as a child, yet I know Peter Jackson’s adaptation was brilliant and The Hobbit was so-so.

Movies are a genre separate from books (whether it’s comic books or fantasy or something else). The movie MUST stand on its own as a quality piece of art. By your argument, people that were underwhelmed by the House of a Yellow Sun movie just didn’t get the book abi? African literature is also a movement.

14. Bowl

June 25, 2017 at 10:45 pm

I have learnt to judge movies by the kind of vibes. my gut instincts pick about them. Had negative vibes about this one and decided not to waste my time and money. I felt same about the Nigerian movie Isoken but still went ahead to give it a try.It was as expected!

15. Bruness

June 26, 2017 at 8:31 am

You forgot to mention the uk based Nigerian athlete Moe Sasegbon who was in the movie too. I watched the movie it was okay, too much hype.

16. Jane(the real Jane)

June 26, 2017 at 10:06 am

I saw the movie. Kept waiting for the spike, but it was flatlined till the end…its just an OK movie…nothing spectacular

17. Hawt Talk With Tosan

June 26, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I loved Gal as Wonder Woman. All I saw was Gal. I think it’s a should watch… especially for young girls.

18. Weezy

June 26, 2017 at 5:10 pm

That’s *half of a Yellow sun.

19. yummymummycumchick