Features

“I Feel Like You Purposely Left Me Behind” – This Response to a Friend’s Announcement of a New Job Has Twitter Talking

BellaNaija.com

There are some rights and responsibilities that come with being friends. As with any other relationship, friendships are not perfect. They are often fraught with betrayal and misunderstanding. However, at the heart of it, there’s something that connect you to the people you call friends.

Sometimes, friends are the ones you run to when you have good news; you can’t wait to tell about the exciting things that have happened to you. Twitter user, 21 year old @sharlo_xo shared her experience with a friend, and it has generated a lot of retweets and comments.

So BellaNaijarians, what would you do if this happened to you? Have you shared a positive story with a friend and have them hit you back with displeasure at your success?

Do you think that Shar should have ‘waited’ for her friend, as Bianca indicated?

Let’s talk about it!

1. Jules

September 14, 2017 at 11:20 am

Reason why I dont have close female friends. Saving myself the BS

• Smh

September 14, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Congrats on not having any female friend ma. You jut had to add female friend as if guys don’t do stuff like this. Please use sense next time you want to leave a comment here

• XYZ

September 15, 2017 at 9:02 am

Trust me dear… As a female who does not have female friends; you have a very serious problem. I suggest you going for therapy.

2. Baby gurl

September 14, 2017 at 11:22 am

I laugh in unemployment. See me see trouble o. Even if na conjoined twins. What manner of destiny delayer that has masked as “friend” is this one? It’s not only wait. Waiters. When it’s time to die and go to heaven, I will wait for you too abi? But I can’t believe a so called adult would make such bizarre requests to another individual. People are bold o. Boldness in stupidity. Bye Felicia. End of friendship right there.

• Nne

September 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm

i was gone at ” Destiny delayer spirit’…. lwkmd o

3. Cutieylicious

September 14, 2017 at 11:26 am

Wonders shall never cease! wetin person no go see! You are not ready to hustle but is angry som1’s hustle is starting to pay!

4. Rose

September 14, 2017 at 11:33 am

This is just ridiculous. You can’t work but you want all the rewards. Your friend is hustling and wants to progress in life, but you want to hold her back. Please cut her off ASAP. This is not a friend.

5. Tolu4show

September 14, 2017 at 11:45 am

This is not shocking from a 21 year old………she is not grown , so I would reserve my comment. if she were in her really late 20s or early 30s I would have a lot to say.
    For the most part, 20s people fell they grown but really they stupid! Thinking people owe you soemthing….mscheew!

• Anon

September 14, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Which of the 21 year old women are you referring too? Bianca? Shar-lo?

Well, they are both 21, so your “20s people fell (sic) they (sic) grown but really they (sic) stupid” is a moot point.

Stupidity, envy, jealousy, beefing, betrayal, wickedness and so on have no age boundaries.

• Flow

September 14, 2017 at 12:50 pm

What are you on about @Tolu4show, I got my first gig at 16, immediately after secondary school, no silver spoon hanging down my throat so I knew I had to make that money. I was basically still a teenager, but I was already taking up serious responsiblities. So saying a 21 years old adult is “not grown* is surprising and sad.

• Anon

September 14, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Which of the 21 year old women are you referring to?*

6. Ewa

September 14, 2017 at 11:48 am

Good riddance to bad rubbish….

7. Maymay

September 14, 2017 at 11:53 am

is this a joke or what? Never read anything this ridiculous.

8. Liz

September 14, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Suck BS!! She needs to delete, block and pray for this devil spirit of a friend to leave her life

9. Chu

September 14, 2017 at 12:45 pm

What can I say they are 21, Shar is obviously a go-getter while Bianca is more laid back, waiting for life to drop things on her lap. She go de alright once life shows her, her eye go open. No room for slacking.

10. Tolu4show

September 14, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Obviously I am referring to Bianca. *rme*
    But in general when you are 21 you are still finding your foot in life and probably like Bianca think people owe you something. There are always going to be exceptions in life @anon and @flow how did the gig go btw? Happy for u.
    Again when you are in your 20s, you are still holding on to friendships and or relationships that you probably shouldn’t. I have come to accept that it is the part of life. You do all the wrongs things, wrong decisions which brings you to eventually doing the right things or at least knowing distinctively what you can and cannot tolerate. (I speak for myself before you all start throwing stones at me).
    Let me give an example, I used to date guys in my 20s that were more or less projects. Because my 20 old self thought being able to change a guy into MY ideal guy made sense. so I would date a cheat, a liar , a disrespectful person with hopes of turning him to my prince charming. In my late twenties I became more aware or shall i say i knew for SURE that I aint dating no science project any longer, you are either in or out. Also with my friends, once I smell envy unlike a 21 yr old i wouldn’t come on twitter to ask people if I am “tripping”, I already know the friendship is over.

p.s- in future when Bianca reads these tweets again, she would realise how silly was.

• BeYoU

September 14, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I completely disagree. she is jealous of her friends fortune. Jealousy can occur at any age, whether you are aware of what you are doing or not, everything she said was real jealousy. I believe the way you were brought up and ways your parents/guardian show you love has everything to do with how you perceive your blessings and showing gratitude.

Bianca wanted to hold her friend back instead of wanting to see her friend in front of her. she sees it like a race, a competition. even there was a sense of entitlement, just because they started from the same place she didn’t believe Shar deserves to excel just yet.

watch your friends
      jealous of your success
      jealous of your attractiveness
      jealous of your popularity
      jealous of your strength
      jealous of your blessings
      jealous that your journey may appear easier than theirs
      jealous of your income
      jealous of the help you get from people
      jealous of your family bond

be friends with people who encourage you, correct you, laugh with you, cry with you, applaud you, promote you, pray for you.

11. Ayo

September 14, 2017 at 1:43 pm

There maybe more to Bianca not being able to do more health or psychological problems. I think Shar didn’t need to bring it to the public sphere. She just needs to be honest with her friend. I want to do more it doesn’t mean I don’t love you. It needn’t be the end of the friendship.
    Friendship as I understand it is about acceptance warts and all

• Grace

September 14, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Yes, Shar shouldn’t have brought it to public, Yes, friendship is about acceptance, this girl doesn’t. have her friend’s best interest at heart so is she a friend? I think the wise thing is to run from someone who doesn’t wish you well, not accept them. it’s like saying one should stay in an abusive relationship because relationship is about acceptance. We need to be wise generally and specifically with people who are in our inner circle.

• Nky

September 14, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I thought that too at first but no. It’s ok if she’s not get ready to get her life in order but to ask someone is trying to move ahead to wait till you’re ready is absurd. Even Siamese twins don’t have the same time lines. If you don’t want to grow, that’s your problem, don’t drag someone else down because of it.

12. zzzzzzzzzzz

September 14, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Bianca on seeing her friend’s achievement should have been gingered to do the same. but instead she’d rather Shar lo slowed down for her? Is she for real. Biance can still be shar’s friend if she wants but kindly leave her behind. I had friends who got jobs shortly after youth service while I had to wait for almost 4 years to get a job. Truth be told I wasn’t to happy that my friends were getting paid employment and I was not. But nonetheless I was happy that they had something they were doing for themselves

• LemmeRant

September 14, 2017 at 8:24 pm

The biggest problem plaguing Africa and one of the reasons I stopped watching Nollywood movies.

In those movies you never see them go to their herbalist/babalawo so they can elevate them to the status of their friend, No, they only go there they so they can bring their rising friends down to their level. And then both of them are stuck in the same backward or stagnant life.

Really appalling.

13. Shegal

September 14, 2017 at 5:56 pm

First ,we are too harsh on Bianca. It’s a difference in personality .

Shar is close to my personality, and being much older makes me understand something’s. Bianca is not close to being as ambitious as Shar ,as a matter of fact she takes life as it comes, does that make her a bad person …No

My dad was like that ,my mum …serial entrepreneur and it was a mega problem .

Bianca may be a good friend for funs sake for I have got your back on ever other thing but ambitious issues …the problem is when people want to have one friend who fits all .

Several friends is not bad ,you know who your friend is and you stay on that lane ,I have church friends, the beginning and end of our discussion is Jesus …i have career friends 1000 percent of our convo is about our career paths and sharing information with one another ,I have friends who are social media pals , we can chat online about everything and that’s it .

Why is it easier now, because I have grown to see that having one friend who knows you in and out is very risky and stressful esp if one of us change .

The response Bianca gave shows that’s just who she is ,it’s up to Shar not to let her bring her down .

If they can work their differences out ,that will be nice .

• Bruness

September 20, 2017 at 1:03 pm

@shegal your comment sounds realistic and sits well with me even though other comments made sense. On that note can we be friends?

14. Tyra

September 15, 2017 at 12:27 am

My very own sister acted exactly the same way to my progress after I have practically lived in poverty abroad and I am now starting to come up.