On Friday, December 28th, 2018, Temi Randle, creator of online parenting community @firsttimemumdotcom hosted its 2nd ‘Bumps and Babies’ Lagos event, bringing new and soon-to-be mums together for a day of wellness. The interactive event began with a yoga session, followed by specialist talks on changes to the postpartum body, mental health, and sex, in a safe and supportive space. Temi aims to create a supportive space on and offline for new, millennial mums living in Nigeria and the diaspora.
“I am so pleased with our events because this community is so real and open. The media glamorizes pregnancy and “snapping back” after a baby, but many of us don’t know the range of what to expect or what is normal when it comes to our bodies and mental health after a baby. We needed this day to talk to the right specialists and mingle with other mums,” she said
Special guests included Dolapo Oni Sijuwade, who shared snippets of her motherhood journey and postpartum recovery with the mums in attendance.
- Dr. Alabi, Southshore Lagos Hospital
- Dr. Remi Durojaiye, Taforehab Orthopedic Wellness
- Dr. Wale Aminu, Postpartum Support Network Africa (Africa’s largest postpartum mental health organization)
- Damilola Bode-Ogundipe, The Fit Mum Hub
- Simmy Babayemi, LouLou couples
- Food: The AJ’s
- Yoga session: The Yoga Spot powered by @Tiwellness