CHANNEL O MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS

The Channel O Spirit of Africa Video Music Awards took place last weekend in Gallagher Estate, Johannesburg, South Africa.
It was really a spectacular show! Performers from all around Africa came together to entertain the continent and they were duly rewarded!
Nigeria dominated the awards by carting away a whooping total of 9 awards including Video of the Year!!!
Check out the winners and pics from the ceremony…

Best Male Video – Lagbaja (Never Far Away)
Best Female Video – Lizha James (For All Ya’ll)
Best Newcomer – D’banj (Tongolo)
Best Duo or Group – Malaika (2 Bob)
Best Urban Jazz Video – Zamajobe (Ndawo Yami)
Best Dance Video – DJ Cleo (Good Bye)
Best African Pop – 2 Face (Ole)
Best African Southern – Mista Doe (Hot To Death)
Best African West – 2 Face (Ole)
Best African East – Jonny Ragga (Give Me The Key)
Best African DJ – DJ Fresh
Best Hip Hop Video – Mode Nine ft. Nnena (Cry)
Best Reggae Video – Lucky Dube (Respect)
Best R&B Video – Dare (Escalade)
Best Kwaito Video – Brickz (Tjovitjo)
Best Collaboration Video – Danny K and Mandoza (Music)
Best Director – Mode Nine ft Nnena (Cry)
Best Special Effects – Weird MC (Ijoya)
Video Of The Year – Mode Nine (Cry)

Dare, Uchie, Sasha ~ D’Banj & Don Jazzy

Chomee (SA) ~ Gal Level (Namibia)

D’Banj & Don Jazzy ~ DJ Jimmy Jatt

Jazz Legend, Hugh Masekela ~ Ikechukwu & Azola

Kaone & Lungile ~ Kaone (Winner, Face of Africa 2005)

Katung (Winner, Big Brother Nigeria) & Tana ~ Musicians, Nnenna & Silver Saddih

Nonhle & Lungile ~ Laura, Nonhle, Proverb, Grace (All Channel O VJs)

Olisa Adibua & Nonhle ~ Melody (Face of Africa 2006 finalist) & Proverb

Weird MC ~ Dare-Art Alade

Mode 9 & Nnenna (Winners, Video of the Year) ~ Channel O Nigeria VJ, Tana Egbo

Tana ~ Nonhle, Olisa (Storm Records Exec/Radio & TV Personality), Tana

Naeto C, Dare, Ikechukwu ~ Sasha, Nonhle, Naeto C, Ikechukwu

Dare ~ Tapuwa & Katung (BB Africa & BB Nigeria)

I’m sooooo proud of Channel O and South Africa for putting up such a great show!
I think South Africa is such a great country for real. I have promised myself to visit Cape Town, SA sometime next year.
Nigeria did us very proud by winning all those awards! Storm Records was also in the building with a very energetic group performance.
Thanks to all bellanaija readers for voting and congrats to all the artistes that won!
In my opinion, they really deserve the awards and accolades!

What do you think about the awards? Did the winners deserve it? Why so you think Nigeria dominated this year?
Have a great week, hope you had a great weekend and make sure u let us know what you think!

*RIP Lebo Mathosa, she died in an tragic car accident this week. I’ll do a mini-tribute sometime soon.

21 Comments on CHANNEL O MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS
  • naijagal October 23, 2006 at 4:07 am

i am first! Nice post Channel O is one of my favorite channels on cable

• Anonymous October 23, 2006 at 4:17 am

Well for Malaika to COPY a song by ‘Nameless’(kenyan artist) then win reminds me we are still in Africa, where copyright law is non-existant!!!!!!SHAME SHAME SHAME
    Whatever happened to Ms Lebo Mathosa?

• mola October 23, 2006 at 4:44 am

Bella u r out of this world. Always on point… Naija artist doing it BIG as usual…

• Icy October 23, 2006 at 5:50 am

Bella Walai you berra end up being a publisher.. You’re killing me babz. you’re killing me.. I loved this entry.. NOW THIIIIS, THIS IS what our african award shows should be looking like.. Thumbs up to the organizers that musta been a heck of a job… and yes I voted lol good to know my vote counted for something ;) Have a rawking week mamasita.

• N.Coker October 23, 2006 at 6:53 am

GO NAETO!!! My boy is doing big things…

• Ms. May October 23, 2006 at 1:29 pm

I second Icy! You are NOT EASY! All your exclusives. When any video comes out of performances and such, please send them our way. Keep doing your fabulous thing girl.

• Pelsss October 23, 2006 at 2:14 pm

awww, I love Sasha’s outfit. I’m proud of our Nigerian Artists o. I need to go and check out that mode 9 guy. Nice post, Bella. thanks for keeping us updated. I went to the channel o site and couldnt even find d full gist.

• Dimples October 23, 2006 at 2:55 pm

NIce one Bella…i’m not hating or anything…but it’s nice for a change…not to see 2face winning all the awards..
    Well done Dare and the whole of Storm records.

• Dammie October 23, 2006 at 4:55 pm

Omg, I thought that was Kelis fora bit!!

Meanwhile, WoW….this is soo fabbb, and they all look lovely!!

• naijagal October 23, 2006 at 5:12 pm

Whatever happened to Ms Lebo Mathosa?
    sadly she passed away it is on BBC TODAY

• zaiprincesa October 23, 2006 at 5:25 pm

ooh…So proud of my afriko’s doin big thangs!I WANNA G TO S.AFRICA OH!!!..Thanks for the info Mami…hmm..maybe u culd sneak me in ur luggae when u r heading to cape town..lol..Have a blessed week.

• Anonymous October 23, 2006 at 7:46 pm

Very nice! Is Weird MC male or female? love that Ijoya song..but I am putting a face to it and …

• ABBEY October 23, 2006 at 9:27 pm

Nice post…Nigerians are just talented and greater in number than the rest…so probability is in our favor.

Are Dbanj and Banky thesame?

• RJ October 23, 2006 at 9:43 pm

It’s nice to know we have our own award shows and props are given to those who deserve it.
    I like that lagbaja’s “never far away” won an award, that’s a really nice song even though I’m starting to like “skentele skontolo” more each day (if it was in English it would have probably won something).
    I’m amazed that Paul “play” Dairo did not win though, I just heard two of his songs (Angel of my life and Forever) on you tube and good lord they are NICE. I have a question though, who is he signed under? And where those videos made in Nigeria? If they were, kudos!

• mola October 24, 2006 at 1:26 am

HAHA I didn’t realize Naeto was a rapper now… I see dude is doing his thizle… Bella do you have any of his songs? I need to support that nigga… He was kool peoples back then…

• reen October 24, 2006 at 2:03 am

love sasha hair and outfit she is so pretty, dont like wat dare is wearing on the whole the award show looked really good from what i see…happy to see nigerian artist are doing it big…winnig all them awards and looking so fresh lol

• Mona October 24, 2006 at 8:19 am

Wow!! Well done to us men this is rally good, nice glossy photos.

• low October 24, 2006 at 11:10 am

Fantastic!!…Sasha looked amazing

• Daddy’s Girl October 24, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Hey Bella, thanks for this. Loving all the photos. Up Naija! We are finally promoting ourselves better, and very soon EVERYONE will know just how good we are.

• Y October 24, 2006 at 6:22 pm

This award thingy got me thinking- when we Africans really wanna do something, when we put all our strenght into it.. it happens…unfortunately, this kinda thing is so not gonna make any of the entertainment programs/news/ up here o..erm duh! why shld it? I 4get… the flies et al ala MIA.

mmmm, see Naijas too dey find trouble… see as we go opresss di oda ppl dem.. after, we go dey wonda why di res of Afrika no like us…ahba! only us!!!.. how many awards again?
    WE ROCK!!!!!!!

• wamski November 11, 2006 at 4:27 pm

babe dis blog is too tight. anyway why is debange still a newcomer togolo has been out for a while i must say