Emmy Collins London Presents its Spring/Summer 2011 Menswear Collection

Posted on Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 10:08 AM

By Terence Sambo

Nigerian Designer Emmy Collins , for his Spring /Summer menswear 2011 collection was inspired by his childhood days of sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to watch legendary Nigerian musician/activist Fela Anikulapo-Kuti perform at the Shrine while decked up on most well tailored and fitted garment he had ever seen as at the time.

In this collection Emmy has recreated such garments to suit today’s environment while maintaining its edge and elegance.

According to him “most designers find it absolutely impossible to fuse elegance and edginess into a single garment but I thrive on that“. Emmy dedicates this collection to his late mum, Catherine.

This week, BN dedicates two features to the talented designer. Emmy Collins for the first time since he closed shop in Nigeria speaks to Bella Naija exclusively about his reasons for shutting down his store on Awolowo Road, Ikoyi and also, talks the Nigerian Fashion Industry.

Get it all by Wednseday on BN…watch this space!

Review of ss2011 collection:

A keen educated eye on fashion would notice Nigerian designer Emmy Collins’ witty and albeit romantic fusion of colours in the fabrication that usually goes into his collections. He breaks whatever rules that exist for modern menswear and creates stunning silhouettes with his deft cuts.

His Spring /Summer 2011 menswear collection which was recently exhibited at Menswear Trade and Fashion show, Pitti Uomo in Florence, Italy- a first by any Nigerian Menswear label- took panache to a whole new level. There’s the brightly colored tux trousers and wide lapel tux which makes jest of the rules of menswear and he tops it off with animated oversize bow ties for a dose of humor.

But the most important things in menswear have always been and will always be cut, silhouette and fabrication and this collection aced them. For a designer who credits the Late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti as his biggest style inspiration the stone is not thrown so far from home with regards to his aesthetics. He certainly does not create for everybody but I think that metrosexual’s the world over would have a look at the collection and give it an approving nod and maybe even buy a few pieces if they can afford it.

View SS2011 collection:

W: www.emmycollins.com
E: info@emmycollins.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 26 Comments on “Emmy Collins London Presents its Spring/Summer 2011 Menswear Collection”

Comments
    • fokasibe June 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM

certainly very quirky!!

• fashion admirer June 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Wow… is the word. I remember the guy from,
      is it stars in their eyes. He is a creative director
      of the show tho. He’s choreographed some of
      those hollywood stars; their dances…. :)

Bella, how’dy?

• nino June 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED….

• the truth June 28, 2010 at 12:16 PM

not for the faint hearted only for a Lady Gaga bloke

• Dee June 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Defnitely pushing the boundaries on this one……….gotta appreciate his work!!

• Asa June 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Very good job, fine tailoring,though i’d prefer a bit less colors for a man but on the whole the cuts are out of this world. well done.

• avari June 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

this is another tom ford in the making… my expression is: fancy smancy…
      love itttt

• THE AMAKA June 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM

ewwwww, HELL NO.
      not feeling it.

• obey June 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

very nice………………..clean cut well done emmy

• JPrat June 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Fierce in a way most men dare try

• dorian June 29, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Personally I think Emmy is a genius, and one of the most interesting menswear designers the world over. When you actually deconstruct the looks, you will find most of the pieces to be quite wearable on their own or in more subdued combinations.

I would buy more of his stuff if I could afford it, the few I do own are so well cut with such good fabrics it’s not even funny. These are the most important things with menswear, fabric and cut, because unlike womenswear there are no ruffles and whistles to mask cheapness. Emmy please update your webshop.

• Sauce September 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Now that’s how a true Fashionista for ya people!. Props Dorian, you couldn’t have said any better. Very, very wearable piece… I met Collin a few times in Nigeria and you really have to appreciate this guys sense of style….He has some of Hollywood’s top celebrities on his clientelle list…. I’ll rock that shirt on the third picture with ease.

• Blossom June 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM

This is nice especially for entertainers like NAETO C and Ikechukwu them… I see them wearing this….
      But, if my boyfriend ever DARED to dress like this… I’d slap him first then take him for deliverance!
      Lol.

• Bola #1 June 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM

lol @ ‘The Amaka’. Your lack of tact never ceases to amuse me

I respectfully disagree with you. The collection is clearly the work of a creative mind and the fact that such creativity can be executed flawlessly shows that Emmy has NO limits. Seems like He just might be ‘the Alexander McQueen’ of menswear.

Btw, I love the navy blue& purple suit. very nice.

• THE AMAKA June 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM

@ ‘Bola #1′
      please allow me to have my opinion.
      I’M NOT FEELING IT!!! is it now by force?

i have to agree with Blossom, this is something probably only celebs can pull off, but not the average person, because it would look a mess on them.

• Ify O June 29, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Absolutely fantastic!! Flawless cuts and fitting!!

• pam June 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Dbanj would rock the hell out of these looks. u have to be lean and fearless.

• Tomiwa Idowu June 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Lol. I definitely don’t see naeto wearin this, Maybe Terry G yes…I second “the Amaka”, not feeling it at all. This is how NOT to be a designer.

• B!cious June 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Me too like Joooor!

• ogefierce July 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM

One word…”cutting edge”

• Phillip cole July 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM

@ pam,The banj already has plenty of Emmy Collins pieces.I remember he was wearing on to an last year

• ruzy July 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM

i must confess this is breath taking, the best mle outfit i have sen. please keep it upppppppppp

• ESSAY July 31, 2010 at 3:46 AM

HMMMM y is everybody trying to be “different” anyway wat every rocks ur boat i guess

• bignaijababe October 22, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I do admire a chap who is unafraid to follow his dreams……… hats off to you young man!!!!!

• mach May 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

i will PART that white model right here and now

• adelegirl November 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

After reading his brilliant tribute to Remi Lagos, just had to find out more about Emmy Collins. His designs are fierce! Certainly not for the meek or faint-hearted. The cut of those suits are just superb. And he got Brian Friedman to model for him? Wow! I’m impressed.