Chika Unigwe, Author of “On Black Sisters Street” wins the 2012 NLNG Prize for Literature – Carts Away $100,000 Prize!
Posted on Thursday, November 1st, 2012 at 8:14 PM
By Adeola Adeyemo
So excited to share this news! One of our favourite authors, Chika Unigwe, the author of “On Black Sisters Street” was today announced the winner of this year’s edition of Nigeria’s biggest prize for literature, the NLNG Prize for Literature.
She was announced winner of the literary award at a world press conference held at the Ocean View Restaurant in Victoria Island, Lagos.
Chika Unigwe is a Nigerian-born author and she writes in English and Dutch. She has a Ph.D in Literature from the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. She has published short fiction in several anthologies, journals and magazines including Wasafiri (University of London), Moving Worlds (University of Leeds), Per Contra, Voices of the University of Wisconsin and Okike of the University of Nigeria.
In 2003, she was shortlisted for the Caine Prize for African Writing. In 2004, she won the BBC Short story Competition and a Commonwealth Short Story Competition award. In the same year, her short story made the top 10 of the Million Writers Award for best online fiction.
Her book made the final shortlist of 3. The other two entries were Only a Canvas by Olusola Olugbesan and Onaedo: The Blacksmith’s Daughter by Ngozi Achebe.
Chika, who lives in Turnhout, Belgium, with her husband and four children is the first foreign based Nigerian writer to win the NLNG prize which was hitherto reserved for locally based Nigerian writers.
The prize has a cash value of $100, 000.
Tags: Chika Unigwe, On Black Sisters' Street
- Chemicals, Cosmetics & Cleaning Products! Meridyen International presents its Annual Fair in Lagos from the 29th – 31st of January 2013
- Hang Out with Your Favourite Cool FM On Air Personalities at “The Cool Gang in Town” Monthly Party – Friday 1st February 2013
- Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Lola Shoneyin, Chika Unigwe, Jude Dibia & 6 More Authors Shortlisted for the $100,000 Nigeria LNG Prize for Literature
- Win a Copy of the “City of Lagos” Monopoly! It’s Just 5 Correct Answers Away
- The February 2013 Cover is Here! Nollywood Stars Chika Ike & Yul Edochie for House of MaliQ
- Specially for Valentine’s Day 2013! Nigerian Design Label Trish O. Couture presents “Rouge Romance”
- Genevieve Nnaji, OC Ukeje, Funke Akindele & Kalu Ikeagwu Make the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominees List | First Photos from the Announcement in Lagos
- DJ Caise, Ikon, Gbemi Phillips, Lynxxx & More at the Grey Goose and Bacardi Re-Up Party in Lagos
- BN Exclusive: Ini Edo, Chidi Mokeme, Uche Jombo, Julius Agwu, Genevieve Nnaji, Omoni Oboli & More at the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominees Announcement in Lagos | Photos
- The Wedding Company Nigeria launches New Photo Series “Love Struck” | Capturing Models & Real Couples in Creative Themed Shoots