Seyi Shay stopped by the Pulse TV studio recently and she talked to them about her thoughts on the politics in the Nigerian music industry, if she feels underrated, moving back to Nigeria and more.

When asked if she feels underrated in the Nigerian music industry she stated “No” but that she does feel there is a lot of politics in the industry and because she isn’t a powerhouse (in a major record label) some opportunities happen to other people at certain times.

Watch her chat below.

13 Comments on “I’m not any of these Record Labels…I’m just a girl trying to make an imprint” – Seyi Shay talks Politics in the Nigerian Music Industry
  • similicious January 8, 2016 at 9:05 am

For such a talented woman, Seyi talks a lot of crap. She needs to focus on her music and promote the heck out of it because it is amazing. She should not involve herself with ‘Nigeria Music Industry’ politics for now. I mean, the female artistes doing well and better than her in the industry are not magicians… maybe the problem’s is you, Seyi.

• eyong January 8, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Are you that ignorant, or just willfully stupid? I mean, was the girl talking with water in her mouth? Did she say that other females weren’t successful in the industry? She clearly states that because she is not on a major label there are opportunities that she misses every now and then which is very accurate no matter what industry you are in Hollywood, Bollywood, etc. Major label means major investors, it means incentives (bribes), it means bigger connections and recognition. Can you name one major artist right now amongst the Top Ten in Naija that isn’t or didn’t start off in a major label? From 2Face to Wizkid, they were all signed to major labels. Even Psquare had a joint management with a major label. Omawumi was the first I can think of to attain such heights in the industry as a female independent artist. Followed by her best friend Waje. No doubt it is still a very tough thing to do. Besides Seyi Shay is a lot more R&B than she is, Afropop so naturally you shouldn’t expect her reception to be thesame in Nigeria. It’s like comparing Davidonwith Brymo or Psquare with Bez. Are you kidding me? She has done incredibly well so far, she is working her butt of releasing music practically every other month, so, I don’t understand which part of “talking a lot of crap that applies to.” There is politics in every major industry. There are people whose finger you have to scratch to get ahead. Im actually surprised to find she was not a a Chcolate City artist, but oh well, good for her. At least she gets to take home more than 80% of her earnings unlike the likes of Tiwa and aye I whose labels take at least half right off the bat. And I do mean AT THE VERY LEAST.

• Ada January 8, 2016 at 10:42 am

Dear Seyi, when I heard “Right now”, I never imagined you were the artiste behind it. For me, that song is an effortless hit! Your vocals are strong join, I even thought it was Waje singing. Biko if necessary, find a power house and join because you need to be heard!

• December Wind January 8, 2016 at 12:39 pm

The problem is the auto tunes get rid of that and you just might be bigger than any power house

• nene January 8, 2016 at 3:58 pm

she needs to work on her hands, the face looks okay

• prince January 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

If you watch the reality show Beyoncé dad did you would know Seyi has serious pride, attitude is one thing you can’t hide for a long time and for success “ATTITUDE IS AS IMPORTANT AS ABILITY” if you think/know you’re good but lack attitude you’re as bad as dead.

Her housemates kept talking ill of her on that show because of her ‘OVER SABI attitude. she needs to relax, bring her head down and get one of those power house, she needs them. She has the same foreign influence as TIWA but look at TIWA, she has to forget about Yankee and learn the MUSIC BUSINESS in naija, its called ‘SHOW BUSINESS’. na business o, no be joke

• Daisy January 8, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Please goan learn how to spell “T-W-O”

• guest January 8, 2016 at 7:13 pm

I don’t think she needs a power house, because right now she is able to keep a lot of what she’s making. But I guess majority will rather fame based on the misguided opinions that fame = wealth. It really doesn’t, the more famous you get the more money you spend to keep the tiniest part of your fame. With a lot of windy fans out there who change their mind very easily and quickly due to 5 seconds attention span, chasing fame can be like pouring water in a basket. Money can be lost quickly and desperation can lead to loosing your soul with it, because the same people saying she should “chase fame” by going after big labels will turn back on her and blame her in the same vein if it goes wrong. Right now she can be who she wants to be off and on camera with no pressure, very much like Waje and Omawunmi.
    Anyways I wish her well power house or not.

• Viviana January 9, 2016 at 4:57 am

Too many similarities between her and Ciara. The girl can sing sha…I will take her over Tiwa Savage any day. It would be interesting to see her and Tiwa in a Sing Off…acapella no instruments. She would win hands down!!!

• Natu January 9, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I don’t see the similarities. Sheyi and ciara? You are reaching.

• Tope January 9, 2016 at 2:24 pm

She is talented but those hands Jesu !

• kay January 9, 2016 at 2:54 pm

@eyong……ur head dey der

• Queenbee January 10, 2016 at 2:02 am

Nigeria women the bleaching must stop. Kai. SI does she feel happy when she sees those hands. You people nau. Beyonce isn’t pretty because she’s light. She’s pretty because she’s pretty. Do you not see oluchi or agbani. Jesos! You guys are rinsing any goodNess God has put in your beautiful chocolate skin