IDP-300x225I must have missed the Social Studies class or I was carried away with my teacher’s eloquence and “poshness” that I don’t recall whether she taught that migration happens willingly or unwillingly. For a very long time, I thought people always migrated willingly.

A few months ago, Brandon of  Humans of New York (HONY) in conjunction with UNHCR did several posts on migrants across Europe. Honestly, one or two stories made me cry. It was very easy to get carried away and assume that it was an isolated European problem. Sadly, here in our backyard, people are migrating daily and a significant number of them get displaced.

The first time I heard about internal displacement was during the post-election violence in Kenya and the next time I heard about it was when Boko Haram struck in Nigeria.

Most displaced persons have certain common attributes:

• Left home due to fear or/and unrest;
  • Lost source of income;
  • Got separate from two or more friends and family; and
  • No longer have basic amenities

Brandon’s post made me realize that:

• Humanity is beyond race and organized religion;
  • Anyone can get displaced; and
  • A little something can give hope to a displaced person.

Based on an assessment carried out in Q4, 2015 by Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC), Nigeria is estimated to have 2,152,000 internally displaced people with Boko Haram insurgency accounting for 85% of this number.

Boko Haram activities have reduced in recent times and it is very easy to forget there are displaced persons in need of assistance especially around resettlement.

Personally, I do not run any NGO however I have seen few people/ organizations with structured assistance. Below are a few of them: (please conduct an independent verification prior to donating funds)

The “Angel 4 Life” Foundation (A Nikki Laoye Initiative)
47 Raymond Njoku street,Off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi
Nikki Laoye’s Angel 4 Life foundation – 0139296779 – GTB

AACE Foods Feed the Children Fund

Muslim Hands Nigeria’s office
34 college roads off Yaya Abatan road, Ogba. Lagos
Muslim Hands Nigeria 0500134114- Sterling bank.

ActionAid Nigeria
Plot 477, 41 Crescent,
Off Sa’adu Zungur Avenue,
Gwarinpa, Abuja.
0812 888 8825-7

If you know any organization that is working on resettlement of family, please share

Till next time, remember to “Always help someone, you might be the only one who does” Unknown.

Side note: Swahili 101
-Kuna means to have

-Hakuna can be translated as “There is no” or “not to have”

-Nyumbani means home

Photo Credit: NAN-Photo

16 Comments on Asake Okin: Hakuna Nyumbani! Let’s Join Hands to Help Internally Displaced Persons in Nigeria
  • Segi March 24, 2016 at 12:12 am

Thank you for listing the NGOs. I will investigate some of them and lend my support.

• Corolla March 24, 2016 at 2:01 am

Thanks for shedding light on this. Does anyone know if the Nigerian government actually has an agency that caters to IDP?

• Asake-Okin
      Asake-Okin March 24, 2016 at 8:08 am

Yes they do. National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)

• Naomi March 24, 2016 at 2:45 am

Thank you for this article. Economically, things are not looking fine but we can decide to give little out of the little that we have just to put a smile on someone’s face. Pray also for this people. Trust me, you will feel better when your subject of discussion with God is not YOU. God bless Nigeria and give us peace.

• Tosin March 24, 2016 at 3:30 am

🙁
    many in Lagos, in fact i was shocked one day to find out i had many Chibok neighbours. and these kids smile.

• hezekina pollutina March 24, 2016 at 4:56 am

Thank You!

• Soso March 24, 2016 at 7:02 am

Thumbs up Asake! Thanks for bringing this to our consciousness yet again. Its very easy to think we are isolated from this. One small act of kindness can go a long way

• E.A March 24, 2016 at 8:02 am

I don’t think anyone can disagree with helping anyone, but we need to be realistic unfortunately many Nigerians feel like refugees in their own home unable to eat three times a day, find jobs and so on, so how can this vast majority who make up the population help. Secondly the religious and cultural differences is incredible my aunt works with one of the Ngo trying to make women go on contraception but they refused. One of the ladies had 5 kids before arriving but already pregnant with her 7th child. Also I read on Yagazi EMeZ blog a,man had 37 child , this is going to destroy Nigeria.

• nnenne March 24, 2016 at 11:47 am

@ E.A…. Amen!
      And when we talk about Family Planning, we focus it on teens, young , unmarried people only.
      Just take a look at Tiwa and Paul Okoye’s jingle/ promotion.
      A degree of poverty is man- made! !!
      As we help our IDP’s today, let’s focus on preventing creation of future ones.

• Angie March 24, 2016 at 9:13 am

Hakuna nyumbani translates to a thing that’s not at home. E.g milk
    Hawana nyumba would be better-I. E they have no home.

• Asake-Okin
      Asake-Okin March 24, 2016 at 10:38 am

Thanks Angie.. I actually did not think about “they have no” just thought about NoHome…

• Sheri March 24, 2016 at 11:29 am

Gosh. Thank you so much for this post. God knows the other day I was all over Google looking for a camp I could visit when I’m back home and lend my helping hand to…but ZERO, nothing! No address of any camp on the whole of Google which I thought was horrific, and a tad bit shameful. I mean, Google had information about displaced people, but not key info on where certain camps where. I’d soon like to start up my own NGO, once I am settled back in Nigeria.

• Smug March 25, 2016 at 12:50 am

Thank you for bringing this up as a reminder cos as the war against Boko Haram is being won, most of us have thought there won’t be need to help again. This is the time the IDPs need our help most cos they require all the help they can get as they are gradually integrated back into the society. Thank you once again for this timely reminder.

• Team Ọ̀lọ́mọsíkàtà March 25, 2016 at 11:18 am

You go girl…I’m proud of you.

• majeed March 26, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Excellent piece. God bless the writer

• Harley March 28, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Nice write up Asake Okin.