Features

FRIDAY TRACK: A Beautiful Nonsense

Kilon Sparkles!

It’s always nice when a Friday track topic resonates with the ever expanding community especially as we grow in geographical reach and numbers. What also makes it special is when on the same day of instalment; something happens and completely reiterates the subject matter.

After last week’s new year’s resolution episode, in concert with Pomp Media, I hosted the 3rd Miss Orekelewa beauty pageant in Ijebu Ode.

You know what pageants are like; pasted smiles, the zillion dance routines to songs by culprit from ‘Mushin to MoHits’, and the over-strutting which Sacha Fierce will snap her fingers in approval to.

But nothing makes a regional pageant more than the plethora of fonerrics a.k.a janded accents; you know the type – the-Irish-Americana-meets-Ijebu-paki swag.

Nothing showcases this grammar and pronunciation master class than the Q&A session. I always look forward to it for 2 reasons, (i) it’s always revealing of where our higher institutions are, and (ii) which girl has watched the most re-runs of Miss Universe for inspiration. You know those meaningless answers, for example, ‘...I’d like to save the entire humanity from the confines of my Kia Picanto, empower all my fellow students to face their studies and not try and hook a commissioner and spread love to all the motherless baby homes and of course, buy my first Gucci by Gucci’

Unlike the previous years where we ask brain shattering questions like “What is your favourite Ijebu food?” this year, we asked tougher ones, “What does N.G.O stand for.”

The highlight of the Q&A was the response of a contestant when asked “what has been your experience with your fellow finalists during the boot camp?” she paused (almost like she was pondering why E=MC2) then, replied, “Well, they all don’t like me very well because I’m beautiful and handsome”

Now, if you had never appreciated your English diploma or indeed that P8 in English JAMB – I think this might just be the time.

This week’s Friday Track is Usher and the new radio-banger, She Don’t Know.

Jokes apart, all the girls did a splendid job and congratulations to the new Miss Orekelewa, Ms. Oluwatomilayo Awonuga.

Enjoy your weekend people!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXyXLyzekB4[/youtube]

1. licious

January 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm

beautiful and handsome”..LMAO!!!! wow!!! loves the song! This is my fave Bella article.. Very articulate..

2. tbn

January 9, 2010 at 12:24 am

lmao…. Beautiful and handsome ko beauriful and hansome ni, hahaha! this is very funny. I wish this friday track could be a littlle bit longer sha, especially the interesting ones, the boring ones are always so long while the funny ones very short.

3. az in...

January 9, 2010 at 2:09 am

LOL! r u serious?

4. Anon 722

January 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm

lol!!! Beautiful and handsome!!!

5. Elpee

January 11, 2010 at 3:00 am

Lol “Beautiful and Handsome”. That was unexpected and I burst out laughin

6. blackrose

January 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm

what does orekelewa mean?

7. Renaissance Man

January 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm

someone who is beautiful and graceful.

8. PREYE

January 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm

BELLA did u hear about seun adebiyi….rihanna is also trying to help him….he kinda looks like caroline johnson when she was sick…i feel so bad for him and he wants to be the first nigerian at the winter olympics…please post about this story here if u can…i know intl readers read ur blogs so they can do something.

9. Myne Whitman

January 13, 2010 at 4:20 am

This is sure funny! LOL

10. tantoluwa

January 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

as one of the contestants for the peagentry,I think what Dorothy- the manageress of Miss Orekelewa was out for was large number of fine girls with little or nothing “up there” sorry,never meant to be rude,but i think the girls should be properly screened,she should have known,right from the day of the screening…a good standard should be set!

11. Glory Edozien

January 19, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Now that was definatley a laugh out loud moment!!!!…..reminds me of a miss Nigeria pagent i watched ages ago. One of the contestants said her hobby was cooking…so the host asked “whats ur favorite dish” to which she replied “Bread and Tea”!!!!!!!!…:)

12. Aibee

May 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

“Well, they all don’t like me very well because I’m beautiful and handsome” This had me ROTFLMAO. hillarious.

@ Glory- reminds me of a miss Nigeria pagent i watched ages ago. One of the contestants said her hobby was cooking…so the host asked “whats ur favorite dish” to which she replied “Bread and Tea”!!!!!!!!…:) are you serious?