Features

December 10th, 2005: The Day Our Lives Were Changed Forever

The day was just like any other day. I was home from school for the Christmas holidays. My brothers Ochai and Ogbe were coming home from their schools that day. Ochai was coming by road from Calabar and Ogbe by air from Abuja. We were all excited, but my mum was the most excited, ”My boys are coming home”, she kept saying throughout the week, she was so happy, we all were . We made chicken stew and Egusi soup which they both loved, we cleaned the house and looked forward to a blissful Christmas. We just couldn’t wait.

That afternoon, my Dad went to the airport to pick Ogbe and my sister was at a Christmas party at her school, so it was just my mum and I at home. I remember we were watching the Miss World competition. I remember that it was Omowunmi Akinnifesi that was representing us. I remember my mum ‘yabbing’ some of the contestants. She had also been feeling uneasy and she kept wondering what was keeping my dad. She called him and she couldn’t understand what he was saying, all she could make out was ‘I don’t know how to tell you’, he kept saying amidst his sobbing and wailing. Immediately she jumped up, ran to her room, wore her green bubu (she doesn’t wear it again), and drove out of the compound all the while saying, ‘God, let nothing happen to my boy, not my boy Ogbe’.

I was left alone. By now I knew something was wrong. I tried to pray but I couldn’t. I remember everything vividly. I put on the radio and by then the news was on. A plane carrying school children had crashed at Port-Harcourt International Airport. I called my father to confirm, ‘Daddy, is it true?’, I asked, hoping it was all a sick joke, ‘It’s true, my son Ogbe is no more in this world. Ogbe is gone’. He replied. hmmm… am not sure I can accurately describe what I felt, but i’ll try. My heart dropped. It was such a horrible terrible feeling.

What followed was denial, then shock, then the slow realization that all the people in your house were actually sympathisers, that the wailing and weeping wasn’t for nothing. Yup, someone had died. And death is as final as it gets.The days that followed were a blur, nothing seemed real except for the pain. The pain was and is still so real. It’s sharp, acute and physical. Nothing, absolutely nothing can hurt the way the death of a loved one can.

Ogbe Daniel Okpe was 13 (June 11, 1992-Dec. 10, 2005). Ogbe was a star. a genius. a clown. He was the light in our home and when he passed, the light went out. He was good at everything, sports, science, arts, clowning around and making people laugh, there was never a dull moment with him around. He wanted to be an aeronautical engineer from his childhood and he always told my mum he would build her a car that could fly because she always complained about traffic.

Sosoliso (the name should have warned us) flight 1145 crash landed at Port-Harcourt International Airport, burst into flames and there was no water at the airport. No water and no emergency services, that tragedy could have been avoided 100%. The plane crash killed 103 including 60 students of Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja,(some of the brightest minds of their generation), Pastor Mrs Bimbo Odukoya, Rev. Fr Aloysius Obi (who baptized my brother and 12 of his classmates) and so many others. Two people survived that crash, one of them the beautiful Kechi Okwuchi who remains an inspiration to all of us.

Its been 5 years since that horrible tragedy took place. In those 5 years, we have grown stronger and wiser. Death has a way of maturing you and also teaching you that nothing on this earth lasts forever. We have also grown deeper in our faith. A lot of people asked us why God would allow something like that, but God has not said we won’t face trials, He promised to be with us through the waters and through the fire (Isaiah 43:2) and He was with us. He brought us through and we are stronger than ever. 5 years on and I ask myself if anything has changed. Sadly, nothing has. Nigerians still die unnecessarily and there seems to be no solution. We haven’t learnt from the mistakes of the past and Nigeria’s future is paying heavily for that.

Even though the tears still flow and we still miss them, we will not spend our time thinking about what could have been. We will honour their memories by living life to the fullest and refusing to give up on this geographical mass called Nigeria for by giving up they would have died for nothing.

So this piece is dedicated to all those whose lives were changed that day, Families, friends, schoolmates, colleagues, teachers and even those who didn’t know anyone on that flight, but have faced some sort of tragedy because of our failed system, keep holding on, keep being strong and let’s honour their memories by fighting to make Nigeria a better place.

1. missbonnie

December 10, 2010 at 2:20 pm

God keep us all and us the strength to move on.

• missbonnie

December 10, 2010 at 2:28 pm

*give us

2. Remi

December 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

This post is heavy. Even though I don’t live in Nigeria at the moment, I remember that day as well. It was all over the news in the UK. I pray God continues to give you peace and strength as the years go on. Even our pain, God miraculously uses it for His glory.

Much love, Remi

• Divine

December 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm

In every situation give thanks to d lord.

3. lily

December 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm

ooooo the first frm EA

4. sweetie

December 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I actually cried reading this, though i am not in the country , i remember that day clearly as i sat shocked watching the news wondering how?how a country that boasts about being one of the top oil producers in the world, had no water in the airport?, how politicians swear by their mother and father that when you vote for them they will bring down heaven and yet when they get into power do absolutely nothing! how after serving ur term , u have no iota of shame when you look back and realize u did absolutely nothing during your term…….. Beyond sad

5. icon

December 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

dont know what to say, started thinking about this incident 5 days ago and it tore at my heart, i wasnt looking forward to today because i knew there would be constant reminders everywhere, so many families feeling immeasurable pain, the pain of losing a loved one, i cannot imagine how that feels but i know it is indescribable, may their souls rest in peace. Amen

6. ochella

December 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Wow, Omada i can totally relate….So sorry. December 10th 2005 was a black day. I just wish we all would make the lives of these people count by doing great things to better Nigeria. May God continue to give strenght to you and your family.

7. Chuka Nnorukah

December 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I don’t know whether to comment on the exceptional quality of the post or my continue disbelief regarding the subject matter. It is said that the lord God never allows us to face challenges we can’t overcome, and though our ability to overcome such can sometimes falter, our capacity to do so is never in question. So be strong my dear, do your best, and let him do the rest. Again…scintillating post. (PS…would never have stumbled upon this post if not for twitter and udeme utuk…God bless them both…lol)

• Omada

December 13, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Chuka thanks a lot…

8. Alma Glamorous

December 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

dis is soo sad. i remember vividly. we thank God fr the strenght he has been giving to yur family. it is well.

9. Peperempe

December 10, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Omada,

My life was also changed that year ( I lost my dad), albeit in less violent circumstances. It is very difficult to handle loss, but hopefully time can soften the pain.

Nigerians always say that “God has taken”, but I don’t agree always. Sometimes it is Nigeria that takes away our loved ones. We have to fight to make Nigeria a better place, power will not surrender to reason without a fight.

P.S. Are you the same BN reader that leaves comments with the handle “Omada”?

• Omada

December 12, 2010 at 11:51 pm

yes o the same Omada…. sorry about your dad, may he continue to rest in peace and may God continue to strengthen you…
      and we won’t stop fighting. our loved ones did not die for nothing…

• Omada

December 12, 2010 at 11:54 pm

we have a facebook group you can join

• Peperempe

December 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

I’ve just joined the group. Things will get better, but we have to make them. It’s difficult to lose one so young but I hope you get stronger with time. By the way, I haven’t been seeing your comments lately.

10. yo

December 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm

May God bless you and keep you and your family. Nigeria will be better one day!!

11. Miss ATL

December 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Thank you for this beautiful piece. May God bless you and your family. Amen.

12. Omogekofo

December 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

tears….. i cant stop weeping. mostly for a survivor i saw in True Love one year after the crash…. she was not her self physically and psychologically again.
    may God bless their soul. (the living n the dead)

• dee

December 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

The survivor in True love was from the October 2006 Abuja crash.She is okay physically and is doing fine.

• Omogekofo

December 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm

i am not disputing your, but the survivor i saw, was on the Sosoliso, she was 17, she and pastor Bimbo’s P.A were the only survivor. physically, she had burns and needed a whole lot of skin works. But i pray by God that she is OK now in Jesus name. Amen.

13. partyrider

December 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm

🙁 may God continue to console all dose dat lost loved ones,frnds and family..esp LJC family that lost 60 of their students..
    like you rightly said,we cant continue to ask God why,he gives and He has taken..all we can do is to live our lives to its maximum..life is a date locked between two hyphens,the day u come and the day u go..maximize the moment, maximize ur potentials..
    and to this failing state called nigeria..all i can say is MAY GOD HELP US.

14. Adaku

December 10, 2010 at 2:53 pm

The Saints preserve us, I didn’t know anybody on that flight but I wept for 2 days after it. It was the saddest thing I’d ever heard, 60 children dying at the same time, especially the family that lost all their children. God forbid a thing like this ever happens again.

15. demolak

December 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm

May their souls rest in perfect peace. Good one BN!

16. jmayaki11

December 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I still rmba it, I still rmba d woman who lost her 3 kids. Anytime I tink about it, I still v chills, terriblE experience. I’m rily sry 4 ur loss. I really hope n pray we neva experience such in this country, even in our lives any mre

• Ada

December 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

I agree, it really made us feel bad, even my mom back then was trying to see if there was any way of trying to help her get IVF to at least have another child. I didnt know anyone who died personally but am connected to many who did.
      Omada my dear, may God continue to keep your family strong and shower you with His love. Thanks so much for sharing this, my tears I’m shedding pales in comparison to that which your family has shed over the years. God bless you.

• ireke

December 13, 2010 at 2:34 am

the scene of the lady crying at the airport is still etched in my memory.
      God help us all

17. Ogo

December 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm

My hearts go out to all the parents and families of those that lost their lives on that fateful day,5years today… Especially the Lady that lost all her 3 kids…. I say a silent prayer for u all… God is ur comforter, and he and only him has seen you through ur loose and would always strengthen you..ALWAYS!!! God bless u al!!

• mary007

December 11, 2010 at 3:55 am

I also always remember the single parent who lost her only child , a very intelligent boy who got a scholarship and reading her story of how she knew she could not afford the fees but her shining hope got into a good school and now he is no more, God grant all the families fortitude to bear their loss

18. C

December 10, 2010 at 3:06 pm

God remains our strength. I have tears in my eyes from reading this. i cannot claim to understand how you feel but like i said God is our strength. God bless you

19. misspolitricks

December 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I still remember that day vividy. I was pained and shocked at the way so many human lives were wasted unnecessarily because our leaders can’t Be bothered to put in place proper amenities for citizens. The chances however that our country will change is one i am fast losing hope in. When i complained once about how bad the roads are, pple sai i was now forming cosi had lived abroad. our pple have become so used to the rubbish that anyone who demands better is deemed a snub. i pray for the souls lost that day and hope that our country never witnesses such again, AMEN.

20. phunk

December 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm

BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES…………CONTINUE TO REST IN PEACE……IT IS WELL

21. Ema

December 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm

It is well with you and your family…May God strengthen you all

22. Bukky

December 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I pray it gets easier for you and your family!

23. jossy okpe

December 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I remembered that day vividly. It shocked me to the core of my being. Omada thanks for immortalizing our love lost.

24. ebi

December 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I remember I was at a wedding when I heard about the crash, my mum’s boss died in that crash. My mum and I went to Eagle Line to pick my sister, I told her of the crash and she told me that you had a brother in LJC. I saw Ochai gisting with some friends, I remember saying to myself if only he knew. we all lost people in that crash, may their souls rest in peace

25. brownie

December 10, 2010 at 3:27 pm

May God give them strength and keep pouring out his love upon them all. Amen

26. Olamild

December 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm

When peace like a river attendeth my way/ When sorrows like sea below rolls/Whatever my lot/Thou hast taught me to say/It is well with my soul.

It is well with you and your family Omada; I thank God for the strength he’s given you to bear the loss of a loved one. I commend you for sharing your experience with us, I bet you’ve inspired many. No words can fill the void the death of a loved one leaves but I thank God for comforting you all in your trying times. It is well.

27. Jen

December 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this… sad but very deep and inspiring. May their Soul rest in peace and may God continue to keep you and all other families. “keep holding on, keep being strong and let’s honour their memories by fighting to make Nigeria a better place.” I agree!
    The school recently published a book in memory of the 60 students who died…you can read more here: http://www.cp-africa.com/2010/12/08/sosoliso-plane-crash-story-loyola-jesuit-college/

28. Ujubaby

December 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I vivid ly remember the day I heard that news. I still remember seeing a woman wailing, holding pictures of her three children who died in the crash. But Omada, I love what you said, that trials will abound doesn’t mean God was sleeping when they do. But He sees us through the hurt and the pain notwithstanding. Believe me, you have a wonderful testimony, that boy is seated on God’s lap rejoicing! Praise God!

29. glo

December 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

it seems just like yesterday i rem dis day vividly my neighbour lost his son and God saved my family friends they were meant to travel with sosoliso but they changed their minds and flew with aero contractor instead…hmmn it soo painful but just know that God would not give you more than you can bear, his Grace would be sufficient 4 u.

30. mee

December 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm

May God continue to give you the peace and comfort needed to bear the loss.
    It’s a hard day to forget.

31. Jayla

December 10, 2010 at 3:55 pm

“Death has a way of maturing you and also teaching you that nothing on this earth lasts forever.”

I know exactly how that feels

• lizzy

December 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I really know how that feels but God sees us thru it all. If not for God, humans would have been going crazy in an instant, but God heals and gives a certain peace that him alone can give which enables one to laugh and smile inspite af all the pain. Its good to trust God.
      God bless and keep your family, Omada.

32. Bola

December 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I dont know what to say and im not sure anyone does, the Lord will continue to comfort you, your family, and all those that were impacted by the ill fated crash. Also for those that have lost loved ones by virtue of the negligence and inefficiency of our leaders, know this that one day not too far off change is gonna come….Bless you for sharing your story

33. Ogo

December 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm

My heart goes out to all the parents and families of those that lost their lives on that fateful day,5years today… Especially the Lady that lost all her 3 kids…. I say a silent prayer for u all… God is ur comforter, and he and only him has seen you through ur loose and would always strengthen you..ALWAYS!!! God bless u al!!

34. The Bola

December 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

may God continue to strengthen all those who lost their loved ones. And yes, in whatever small/big role we play in serving our country, let’s all strive to do things right and not cut important corners

35. me

December 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

RIP…. May God give strength to the families and you for the loss…. 🙁

36. thembo

December 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm

this made me eyes water may all their souls R.I.P God knows best

37. fm

December 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

From God we came, and to God we shall return. i’m speechless, let us celebrate these lil angels so that dia death will not be in vain and my prayers are with you and the families that lost dear ones in dis tragedy… May God continue to grant u all peace and kip u all to see the goodness he has in store for you all….omada be strong..lov you!!

38. @Temmy_laide

December 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm

This is so sad.
    God will continue to strengthen you and your family, and our nation as a whole.

39. Nike

December 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your family’s faith, strength and courage during an unimaginable period. I also remember this day clearly. I was studying for my final exams in the UK when I saw the news in the evening. I was so shocked and although I did not personally know anyone in the crash, I shared the pain of the families who lost their loved ones. May God continue to be with all the families and help us turn Nigeria around.

40. Africhic

December 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I know what its like to loose a sibling and till this day i hate seeing strangers in my home. It reminds of mourning and all those visits and telling us to take heart, “it is well”. I dont wish anybody that.
    I do know that you feel better eventually and can think of the good times.

41. fm

December 10, 2010 at 4:35 pm

i’m sori but i cant even stop crying…

42. Gbenga Awomodu

December 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

“In retrospect, many questions come to mind about what should have been and what would have been today if those children and the other passengers on that aircraft were still alive, but I believe most people have considered them too; so I’m not going to bore you with that. I plead that we all resolve to lead purposeful lives and make the best of today, because we hardly have any control over what would come the next day: leaders in highly exalted positions whose decisions affect the populace in no small ways; followers who should look inwards and become proactive rather than just wait for the government and ‘our leaders’ to do the right things.”

43. winneR

December 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm

May d souls of d departed cont 2 R.I.P & may their loved ones cont 2 grow strong wit God.
    I pray dat Nigeria improves 4 d best & such avoidable disasters b averted in future. Amin.

44. Uchechi

December 10, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Accept my condolences and also to families who lost loved ones on the crash.

I do believe the aviation sector has improved over the last five years to combat such unforseen contingencies.

45. deegal

December 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm

this brought tears to my eyes just like that day, even though i didn’t know anyone on board personally i remember thinking of all the families. May God continue to strengthen you all

46. Enkay

December 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I ALWAYS remember them…. those young children, the other passengers…. and like others have mentioned, it is totally impossible to forget the woman who lost her 3 kids. I sill grieve over them. Time do not heal this kind of wound. One only learns to cope with the obvious. I recall that day crystal clearly. I was studying for my GMAT when my sister got that phone call. Needless to say my zeal to read became history.

47. Atoke

December 10, 2010 at 5:20 pm

“The pain was and is still so real. It’s sharp, acute and physical. Nothing, absolutely nothing can hurt the way the death of a loved one can.” “Death has a way of maturing you and also teaching you that nothing on this earth lasts forever. We have also grown deeper in our faith. A lot of people asked us why God would allow something like that, but God has not said we won’t face trials, He promised to be with us through the waters and through the fire (Isaiah 43:2) and He was with us. He brought us through and we are stronger than ever”

This is very true. Only God’s hands can hold you and actually see you through. I lost my brother in a horrific fire accident and I know what you mean.

48. notaplayerhater

December 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Omada, i remember u from Navy secondary, ph and i can see just how much u’ve grown. I’m so sorry for your loss dear. May God give u and yourfamily the garment of praise for your heaviness…Amen

• Omada

December 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm

thanks o! u no wan tell me your name?

• notaplayerhater

December 13, 2010 at 9:26 pm

i was your pioneer assembly prefect..lol. does that help??

49. Aribaba

December 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

This is a heavy post! I’m almost in tears cos I remember my close friend went to school there, and had some friends on that plane. What’s even more depressing is the fact that it took such a tragedy to happen for the aviation industry to be revamped.

My condolenses to the families of all those that were affected.

Wonderful Post.

50. Lenny

December 10, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Touche!still in tears…our lost loved ones will continue to be stars shining in our lives till we meet to part no more.They re at peace in the sweet bossom of the Lord.

51. Anya

December 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Nigeria has stood in the corner while Death has snatched away too many of our loved ones. Why should we allow Nigeria perpetrate this gross injustice?

It is up to US to ensure there’s water in the airport, it’s up to us to ensure that our airport attendant staff are trained in emergency preparedness and first aid. Let us ensure that our airports remember to pay their Water Board bills so that fire fighter can do their job.

Nigeria, no be only mouth o! we must ensure that these souls didn’t pass on for nothing. May their souls rest in peace and may their families find the strength to bear the loss.

52. lizzy

December 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm

God bless and keep your family, Omada.

53. prism of an immigrant

December 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm

May God continue to comfort the families who lost their loved ones in this preventable tragedy.

54. D.O.T.M.H

December 10, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I remember that day…

55. dekao

December 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm

may their soul rest in perfect peace…AMEN

56. Chika**

December 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I know exactly how you feel now and must have felt then. Don’t worry, God is in control.

57. applepie

December 10, 2010 at 8:32 pm

may God continue to show HIS mercy on us all and strengthen the families of the victims of the crash..it is well

58. bolu G

December 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm

nice one….may GOd in his infinite mercy grant u and ur family mercy.

59. Nana Bee

December 10, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Im so sorry for your loss. Cant even stop craying now. :'( May the souls of all those lost on that day and many more due to the failure of the nigerian government rest in perfect peace. Take heart babe, It is well in God’s name (Amen). We shall keep fighting to make Nigeria a better place! xox B

60. Nana Bee

December 10, 2010 at 8:53 pm

*CRYING*

61. pellu

December 10, 2010 at 9:17 pm

i remember that day clearly, it was my last year in secondary school and the rev fr came in for daily masses nd immediately started crying, he told us that 60 students like us and many other people had died on that fatal crash and that the day’s mass was to be dedicated to them, i remember clearly my shock and trying to imagine what they went thru and how they felt,i couldn’t get past the fact they where so young with crushes nd dreams nd expectations just like me, i cried that day a lot of us did nd i begged the almighty God who knows all to let there soul rest in peace……. i pray their families after these five years find peace and strength which the lord alone can give and i pray that this country we live in honestly becomes better than what it is now where leaders deceive, greed rules and most people are not willing to fight

62. envi

December 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Dear Omada, i graduated from Loyola in 2005,june 2 be precise, so i knew most of the kids who were involved in d crash except 4 those who were the fresh september intakes.most of them hadn’t just been schoolmates,they had become more like family,friends who would never be forgotten. although d tears still come now & then, the only consolation we hav is that they are in a better place,in the Lord’s bossom, angels watching over us. every experience brings with it a lesson, personally,i learnt 2 cherish every loved one, every true friend and every moment with them because u just never know. . they say that 2 live in d hearts of your loved ones is not to die, our loyola angels will forever live in our hearts.

63. shade

December 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Great touching post.

It’s just so sad. May the Lord God continue to comfort you&your family and all the other families who lost loved ones on that flight.

May we begin to hold our leaders accountable and take responsibility for our actions.

Thanks for sharing Omada.

64. ruby

December 10, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Hot tears ran down my cheeks when u read this…..just so not fair…..may God bbless ur family and those who lost a lovef one

65. Gidi

December 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I just flew into PH on a flight with loads of school kids who were coming home for xmas. I suddenly remembered that black day in December, 2005. I had been out of time for a few days and i could not wait to go back into the lving and innocent arms of my lovely daughter.Suddenly, i remembered the parents whose lives were changed by that black day and would never have their sons and daughters to warmly embrace them when they return from trips.Earlier this morning, i was worried about loads of material things that seem to have gone wrong, while flying with those school kids today i chose to count my blessings and remembered that God who is seeing families like the ones described in this article through real pain and healing their lacerated hearts is able to handle my little problems.

66. author:thisisthediaryofanotmadblackwoman

December 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Recently, I lost an aunt and I still can’t help hoping that it’s all a lie- that she’ll turn up one day. Death is indeed a bummer and we can only hold on to God to heal all grieving hearts.

67. gbomsie

December 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm

The only thing as strong as death is love.Beautiful piece.The memory of the departed ones will forever linger in our hearts

68. Ndee

December 10, 2010 at 11:55 pm

God giveth and he taketh…for everything he does, there is a reason. I pray he continues to comfort your family and the families of everyone that died in that crash. Do take consolation in the fact that he is(they all are) in a better place, smiling down on and watching over you. Keep being strong for it is well…

Eternal Rest grant unto them oh Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed, rest in the bossom of our Lord Jesus Christ…Amen

69. Miz cee

December 11, 2010 at 1:06 am

may God continue to rest their souls…remember this day cos my dad also had to help look for the bodies of two of my lil darls our lives have never remained d same,chisom and chima rest in peace u r fondly remembered n missed…

70. LANDE

December 11, 2010 at 1:20 am

MAY GOD COMFORT THE FAMILIES AND THE SOUL OF THE DEPARTED REST IN PEACE.

NIGERIA NEEDS GOOD LEADERS AND PRAYERS

71. mary007

December 11, 2010 at 3:46 am

Oh my! I have always wondered about how tragic dates are forgotten in Nigeria, dates that shook the nation, thanks for sharing such a personal experience with such faith and courage

72. Gretel

December 11, 2010 at 4:57 am

I would never forget that day,never,my baby sister was in that plane,and my aunty’s only son at LJC.
    Till today,she keeps blaming God,and what do we say?May God grant us the fortitude to bear the loss.
    Nice one,Omada

73. IyawoBankyWNumer0Uno

December 11, 2010 at 5:15 am

i still cry thinking about it. i still remember where i was and what i was doing.. RIP Ibiso Okemini…. so many people fron my pri. school were on this flight, chuka and his sisters hit hard as well…. only God knows…

74. Eunice

December 11, 2010 at 6:32 am

Brilliant is all I can say,if your brother was anything like you my love,we sure did loose a star,peace to him.

75. Kilonsparkles

December 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

I remember when it happened. Was in SS1 then and we just finished writing exams. That was the morning we were going home and they called an emergency assembly to announce the news. Still so sad now. May they all rest in God’s peace.

76. Temiloluwa Adebayo

December 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

So sad…But it is well. I felt so bad for the family of the deceased but also the staff of Loyola Jesuit Abuja who lost so many pupils.

I hope the families are all keeping well. God is your strength.

77. Oma

December 11, 2010 at 2:41 pm

God bless you for this post.
    Sometimes we forget those who are gone and how their time with us impacted greatly in our lives.
    God rest their souls.

78. joan

December 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm

This piece is so touchy, while reading I hoped it was just a story. Then I remebered….; It is well, It will be better 1 day & I’ll pray for d soul of ur brother Ogbe & all d other souls. Take heart & believe that Ogbe is in a better place where there is no sorrow or weeping.

79. susan dikeh

December 11, 2010 at 6:18 pm

cant forget that day and the woman that lost her 3 kids,the egyptians u saw u shall see no more,its well my dear.

80. Yenih

December 11, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I couldn’t stop crying when reading this touching piece. The death of a loved one always feels like the end of the world, the strength to keep living completely leaves you, but with God and prayers, you go through the pain and come out stronger, wiser and mature. It makes you realise no one is immortal and that life is too short and precious. May the good Lord continue to be with you and your family.

81. vickky

December 11, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Reading this post brought tears to my eyes all over again. A friend lost his niece on that plane. My mum, who was in Abuja for a convention almost boarded that flight but instead booked the next sosoliso flight, which never came cos the plane had crashed.
    Omada, please be consoled. Its a heavy burden but will eventually lighten. So so sorry.
    May their souls all rest in peace.

82. okoroigwe cynthia

December 12, 2010 at 3:56 pm

its so sad i dont know what to say, this shouldnt happen to us again in jesus name.

83. Lara

December 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Thank you for sharing Omada, glad that you have found strength in your faith & the heart for Nigeria to be a better place….

84. pizzazz890

December 12, 2010 at 10:37 pm

saying i know how u feel will be a blatant lie cause no one can feel the pain as much as the one goin through it. tears are still sliding down,thanx for havin the courage to share this.
    i remember Moments with Mo years later,and i found out that one of my schoolmates lost his only sibling too.

God will always give you a reason to rejoice.(Habakkuk3:17-18). loadsa love

85. Omada

December 13, 2010 at 12:04 am

thanks for your kind words. God bless you.

86. igolo

December 13, 2010 at 3:42 am

wow i rememba dis day vry clearly one of my primary skool mates was on dis flight and when i heard i cldn’t help but cry for her lyf and all d oda’s such bright and wonderful miinds dat where lost i dat crash ppl dat wld have grown up and left an impact on dis world
    in diss country we neva seem 2 learn from our mistakes but by His grace we shall all c a brighter nigeria dat such thinz lyk dis d loss of lyf won’t b as drastic my hrt still goes out 2 dose who actually lost loved ones do tkia

87. olami

December 13, 2010 at 6:13 am

This post is heavy,I can’t stop weeping,but my prayer is God should continue to comfort the family and friends effected.

88. Chi

December 13, 2010 at 7:52 am

i remeber that day too…I Lost classmate chisom awaji from bereton montessorri i was only 14 i couldn’t imagine it…i mean we were seat mates for crying outloud…we had dreams of going to jephtah together…of going to university and and how it would be when we had our own kids..she was a crazy one..with long natural hair a black beauty..even writing this post my heart is still heavy…whenever i think of that crash i breath unevenly…because i could not believe that chisom didn’t make it…wow…God knows best…i know she still lives…buh i wish i could see her in d physical and not only believe she lives….Omada take heart…i don’t know what it feels like to loose a brother…but i know what it feels like to loose a friend…you shall meet him someday nd your family shall part nomore…

89. tele

December 13, 2010 at 8:40 am

i still remember the day vividly well,the students form Loyola School,the woman that lost all her kids e.t.c n pst.Bimbo who was an inspiration to us.may the Lord continue to be with all of their familiies n touch the heart of our leaders for a change in the right direction.thank you for sharing this on Bella naija.take care

90. fokasibe

December 13, 2010 at 10:09 am

I am so sorry. Lost my niece Owanari in that accident. Will* never* forget* the* pain*bitterness*anger* sorrow!
    Words fail me!

91. Jay

December 13, 2010 at 2:09 pm

i remember this incident so vividly.though i knew no one personally but i cried uncontrollably for days for those children and their families and also Pst. Bimbo Odukoya. it is well Omada, what can i say, your brother is with the Lord, the best place he can ever wish for and only the all wise God knows why it happened as it did. take heart dear!!!

92. oju

December 13, 2010 at 6:53 pm

A very painful day!!life and Death, became much real after that day!!can never forget the pain I felt knowing peter, ur bro, my lil cousin …d list goes were dead! Take heart my dear!God will restore!

93. Ari L.

December 14, 2010 at 2:08 am

I cried today and the next day after the crash (the day I found out). On the crash day I told some people in my school about what terrible thing had happened in Nigeria. I remember that period vividly!! I went to school in ABEC Port Harcourt and Many people who died on that plane were friends to someone in my school!!! We didn’t even know (because we were set to vacate a week after Loyola Jesuit), not until one of our angry teachers came into the Chapel on Sunday and was yelling at us that we should learn how to be grateful to GOD saying we were NOT better than anyone on that flight!!! My friend loss her mom who walked with NNPC and was on that flight returning from a business whatever!!! I remember us watching the news on TV to see people whom we may have known… I remember that day being one of the worst days in our boarding school!! I remember my mom cursing the failed Nigerian system. I remember a lot!!! Rest in Peace Mrs. Manilla, Ogbe Daniel Okpe, Pastor Bimbo Odukoya and everyone else. May GOD ALMIGHTY save us from the terrible claws of this crappy Nigerian System (you do NOT have to be in Nigeria to be affected by the system)!!

94. diva

December 14, 2010 at 4:48 am

Very touching. May their souls continue to rest in the lord. The death of a loved one is always never an easy step to go past by. But God gives and takes and he will always give us the strength to progress at the hardest and most trying moments of our lives.

95. WaleAdeniji

December 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

Since this sad event, has anything changed? The answer is absolute no. God to our airports and see how dirty and unkempt they are. Infrastructures are damn dead and yet we assume we have government in that country. How does one explain that in a place as important and delicate as an airport, there is no water for fire-fighters to use in such emergency? It is a shame. Nothing has really changed. We seem to have dull heads always in government. Or is it that they know what is right to do but will never do it because of their selfish aims? Things must really change in this country. The corruption in Nigeria stinks to high heavens. May the soul of those innocent kids rest in perfect peace. But God will not forgive you and i if we continue to keep quiet and not do something in our little ways to correct things in Nigeria. We can’t possibly continue this way. Nothing works in that country.

96. maryjane

December 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm

awwww, i didnt loose anyone in dat incident but it tore my heart apart and even the pple that got burnt in the alakija-badagry expressway tore at my heart. WE NEED A REVOLUTION, A REALLY SUDDEN RADICAL CHANGE. WE THE YOUNG PEOPLE NEED TO STAND UP AND SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, WE NEED TO VOTE NOW AND VOTE RIGHT. ALL THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN THIS CAMPAIGN, SPREAD THE WORD.

97. Dare

December 14, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, I can imagine the pain you all have gone through, One family lost all 3 of their kids on that flight and another lost their only child. May God continue to be with you, your family and the other families who lost their beautiful ones.
    This story hits home dearly as my younger sister was in Loyola at that time and was on the Abuja to Lagos plane. My sister mentioned of how many families are so scarred from the experience that they travel by road no matter how long the journey takes.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with the families…….. God who is the ultimate comforter and friend will continue shield you all

98. Hannah

December 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I read this in tears! My condolenses to all families that were affacted.May the innocent souls continue to rest in the bossom of our lord and saviour Jesus christ

99. chiomy

December 15, 2010 at 11:32 am

really i remember that day,it pains so much.may their soul rest in peace

100. Ngozi

December 15, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I remember this day soo well………..i cried, and cried, altho i didn’t know anyone on dat flight personaly, im crying now….God that woman who lost all 3, i remember d clips at the airport when she didn’t know if she was coming or going….i remember the first year anniversary and her dancing to Onyeka….Kai, Omada, God is not sleeping!!….He has given u the strength to come thru this..and it’s all for His glory.

101. T

December 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm

i am a 35years old educated carpentar.its bn challenging lately.but wn i saw dis article and searchd out Kechi Okwuchi online.it all came back and d tears couldnt stop.
    I think i have so many things to be thankful for..am so blessed to have beautiful people around me…………………….and i know as a nation..we would get there someday.Corruption is our greatest problem!

102. chidumaga

January 19, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I go to LJC presently and trust me,the pain of December 10 is still fresh in us. Every year we commemorate the passing of our angels and we try to look for a plus to all of this; at least now we have 60 representatives in heaven. However, it would still do a lot of good if we,as a nation, learnt from our mistakes and forged ahead making sure to prevent future occurences of such disasters.

103. olamidet

January 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

As i read this,a mini unnecessary war,yes when people face each other to attack is war going on in this country.could have been avoid only if we Nigerians help each other genuinely.still cannot understand no water in the airport part where there is genuine care.

104. annie

October 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

i weep as i write this….may GOD continue to give the families involved and nigeria as a country d grace to bear this irreparable loss