With deadly bomb blasts occurring rather too frequently in some northern states of the country, it is no surprise that Nigerians are very apprehensive about this whole ‘bomb scare’ thing. The insurgence of Boko Haram attacks which has left hundreds of people dead has heightened the fear of Nigerians, not just the ones living in the north.
While there hasn’t been any bomb blasts recorded in other regions, people are still worried that the Islamic sect might just penetrate into other parts of the country, especially with the low level of security Nigerians are faced with.
The latest bomb scare in Lagos which occurred on the premises of a church in Ikorodu area yesterday further proves the need for improved security. A 26 year-old man was caught jumping the fence of the church and when he was overpowered by an angry mob, he confessed that he was sent to plant a bomb on the church premises.
Here’s the news report according to Punch:
There was a bomb scare on the premises of Methodist Church, Ita-Elewa, Ikorodu area of Lagos on Tuesday.
The incident happened when a young man, Olasunkanmi Ismael, was apprehended by the church’s security men following an alarm by neighbours that he had jumped the fence and gained entry into the compound.
The suspect was said to have attempted to escape on sighting the guards but was overpowered by an angry mob who had already gathered at the scene.
Upon interrogation, he confessed that he was sent to plant a bomb on the church premises.
Rev. Ogunsiji, a cleric at the church, said the young man of about 26 years jumped over the fence around 7:30am into the compound and was apprehended by the security team.
“A can cover was found on him with the words, ‘open in case of emergency’. Also, he said he was directed to plant a bomb in the compound. Immediately, we alerted the police at Ikorodu, the Divisional Police Officer and his team came to assess the situation.
It was learnt that amid the pandemonium, operatives of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal (Anti-bomb), combed the area.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the state police command, Mr. Joseph Jaiyeoba, confirmed the incident.
Jaiyeoba added that the object was recovered by the police and calm had returned to the area.
He said, “The anti-bomb squad, led by an assistant superintendent of police, combed the area but no bomb was recovered.
“The tin cover was taken away by the operatives.”
Jaiyeoba added that the suspect was arrested and had been taken to the Ikorodu Police Division.
The incident was the fourth bomb scare in Lagos in the last one year.
On March 16, 2012, Ikeja residents and commuters were thrown into confusion when news of a bomb supposedly planted near Awolowo House broke.
The spokesperson for the EOD command, Mr. Gbolahan Moronfolu, said the phenomenon was expected due to the incessant bombings in the country.
Moronfolu however urged members of the public to prevent suspicious- looking individuals from staying within their vicinity.
This is not cool at all. It’s the fourth bomb scare in Lagos in the past one year and as the most populous state and commercial capital of the country, the results would be devastating if such blasts occur in the state.
In related news, football viewing centers in the country have become a target for bomb blasts. A bomb explosion rocked the Tundun Wada area of the central city of Jos on Tuesday, 24th April 2012 night. The explosion had hit in a football viewing center in the city. No casualties have been recorded yet.
There was a similar explosion in Yobe state on Saturday, targeting a viewing center where football fans had gathered to watch a match.
It is our plea to security operatives not just in Lagos but the entire country to intensify their efforts at protecting the lives and property of citizens.
News Source: Punch News