Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Senior Pangolo

Atoke

I’ve always thought that if I had gone to boarding school I might have had a shot at being slightly taller than this. Only slightly because of those pesky things called genes. You see, I always believed that somewhere in the hallowed halls of boarding school was the secret to height. My brothers and cousins told tales of the copious quantities of horrible beans they were fed in Command and NMS, so you can imagine why I believed all I needed to get the extra inches (I so badly craved) was being in that environment. However, beans was not the only thing they talked about during their holidays. They had stories of wicked seniors and how they couldn’t wait to become senior students to get away from the onslaught of brutes. Ah! wicked seniors ke! Luckily, I didn’t go to the kind of school where “seniority” was a thing. It’s one of the perks of being an auta

Last week, I got some really awesome news and I was very excited so I called up one of my bestoes, Jojo and said “you know what? Let’s go and eat at Yellow Chilli on Sunday so I can give you the full details of the news. Plus I’ve not had their Jollof Fiesta in a while so it’s a good opportunity.” So, yesterday, as we were heading to the Oju Olobun, we were in a little traffic and some ladies were in the car beside us. One of them waved at my friend with a wide smile on her face. As an aproko, I asked her who the babe was. “I don’t know her oh. Her face looks familiar sha”. I slowed down a bit so we could be side by side and as soon as we did, the lady rolled down her window and mouthed “F.G.G.C Oyo!”. My friend smiled at the babe, waved at her and then said to me “Jor je’a ma lo jor” (Please let’s go).

“Ah! Why don’t you want to stay and exchange numbers with your secondary school friend?” The way JoJo gave me the nasty eye was too funny. “She wasn’t my friend jor. She was one of those wicked seniors. In fact, as she just said that “Oyo” all the nasty memories came back.”  She told me how the seniors in her school were called “Aunty” and how they made the junior girls fetch water and wash their clothes till their palms went sore.

Fortunately, I didn’t have any sad stories to contribute but it made think about the effects of bullying in secondary school, and how the seniors felt when they see those juniors outside school. The outside world can be a leveller.  Imagine being a wicked senior and you end up being on the same registration queue at the university with a junior you had tortured and bullied. Imagine if you’d been bullied as a junior and just when you think it’s time to “enjoy” your senior days to pay back in full coin to your juniors, you get transferred to another school. That must really and truly suck!

I asked around in the office for people to share their stories. Jen said in her school there were some SS3 students who tortured SS2 students. I thought there was automatic immunity when you crossed that SS line. Apparently, Airforce Comprehensive School, Ibadan was the centre of bullying and the trend has continued till now. In fact, all the stories I’ve heard this morning have suddenly put the quest for boarding house beans into perspective.

Okay guys, I hope you have a fantastic super duper week ahead. Keep your head strong, be happy, show love and remember to be kind.

Oh, don’t forget to share some of your “Senior Pangolo” stories. Did you go to boarding house? Did you have to deal with wicked seniors? Were you a wicked senior?  Can you share some of the horrible things you did? What was your justification for doing it? Have you seen any of your wicked seniors after school? How did you react? Are there any wicked seniors you would like to meet again? And just for fun, what would you do to them if  you could pay them back richly?

Peace, love and cupcakes!

Toodles!

Photo Credit: booksforafrica.org

1. Sel

June 24, 2013 at 9:46 am

I didn’t quite get bullied that much, it was only that I was always the only getting caught out of my friends, and I was quiet so my seniors were picking on me.
    As a senior, I don’t do any major bullying because a law was passed that seniors cannot punish without consent from the housemistress. Nonetheless I made life long friends from my boarding school, and I realized that there are some things nobody but that best friend from SSS will ever understand about you.
    As for the seniors who bullied me small, I never run into them so no awkward experiences to share

2. Teris

June 24, 2013 at 10:01 am

haa!! boarding house! the horror!!
    well, on the bright side, it brings you up-to-speed pretty quick on the nature/psychology of humans. more so if you had the privilege of switching from single-gender to mixed-gender. smh.
    another plus is that it also breaks ur attachment to home (…not sure if that’s entirely good tho).
    these odd topics of yours…

3. Bookie

June 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

I was a day student, but that didn’t stop seniors from bullying me while in school. A senior I disliked a lot actually found me on FB and tried to get back in touch. I accepted her friend request and replied her message with a simple, ‘hey how are you…?’. But I cut her off once she suggested that we meet up. Meet up with her ke?? I think NOT! The way you treat others while in school when you think your actions won’t come back to bite you, says a lot about who you are. She definitely wasn’t the kind of person I wanted to be friends with…***rollseyes***

4. Mayowa

June 24, 2013 at 10:11 am

Oh boarding school……memories mehn! Like Sel said, most of best pals till date were made in boarding school. Going to boarding school really helped meto become independent and develop my people management skill. My friends always say that there is no one I cant get along with…lol
    The seniors were something else. I went to Command so it was double torture from both soldiers (godogodo as we call them) and seniors. Seniors showed me pepper and I showed juniors pepper. Its the circle of life (God forgive me). I have ran into alot of my seniors and some of them are my friends on facebook but we just laughed about those times. No hard feelings jare.. lol

5. Hephzibah

June 24, 2013 at 10:12 am

I went to a boarding house and seniority was something else, infact it was hell. I remember i was always crying when its time for resumption. When i was in Ss2 it was worse, Ss3 students were brutal. But today i thank God, it’s all memories now. Thank God Schools of nowadays have nothing like that, cos my children can’t go through that.

6. Hephzibah

June 24, 2013 at 10:14 am

The funniest part is Those wicked seniors when they see you today, they always try to act so nice, it’s irritating.

7. Hephzibah

June 24, 2013 at 10:14 am

I mean Private schools of today.

8. Nativepikin

June 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

Nice way to bring back the old days… i really like your atoke series. do send me an email so we can talk about the posibility of you writing for nativeland magazine

9. me2

June 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

My school from jss1- 3 is one of those schools with lots of torrid memories of punishment. I remember how we used to endure as junior students lookin foward to becoming seniors just so we cud do our own. From lying under the bed flooded with water all night, lying on dirty concrete floor to be beaten, the kneeling down for ours wch I stil av blackened knees to proof, over 10 yrs later, beating ppl like log of woods and it was an all girls school o. We had a sworn code of silence not to report so no one does the same to Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ during your time, very stupid mentality looking back. Fortunately or unfortunately I left after my junior years so no payback for me. But I cud go on and on. There is one senior I would love to see nevertheless. Sorry guys for d long story

10. me2

June 24, 2013 at 10:21 am

Nevertheless, I wouldn’t trade staying in a boarding school for anything. My best friends till now I met them there, I got excellent people management skills, adapting quickly to any environment . The advantages far outweigh the disadv. looking back now

11. kreemie

June 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

i went to AFCS o and to be frank there was bulling but it wasn’t as bad as the FGGC’s, Command, and other schools o, theirs was to the extreme. so AFCS wasn’t the center of bullying.

12. Coco girl

June 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

I will never forget how I was wrongly accused of making up a chant to ridicule our seniors and guess what? This song was based on our being forced to eat beans porridge every other day . Lol.This song was now used in a wrong way by others(not me) to insult our seniors. The seniors showed me and other juniors pepper. The insult on the injury was that my school mother didn’t stand by me because she had another favourite who funny enough was exempted from the punishment. If eyes could kill, Senior Ihuoma would have dropped dead there and then. Its being 27 good years and I still long to get a chance to defend myself aargh.

13. Annie

June 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

me i wasnt a border so i dont have tales of wicked seniors like that. But i remember when i was in JSS 1 we fear those seniors cuz they were so huge and were always fighting outside skul and when they they default on school rules they are subjected to ‘conference beating’ where the teachers who know how to beat best (2 to 3 of ’em) will flog them during assembly. These guys dem bahdt gan, them no go cry them go do odeshi, na we wey they watch dem go dey cry sef. When i was in SS2 , SS3 gals dey beef us bcos boys in their class dey toast us.

14. Ayomide

June 24, 2013 at 10:38 am

I had alot of wicked senior…while still a junior back then,Names of seniors like Akuka,SkinDudu,Jamica & the likes are dreaded,Cos these guys are superwicked!..i remember akuka hanging junior students from a Mango tree and floggin the hell out of them…skindudu will draw a car on the black board and ask you to push .We all had a good laugh when skindudu’s boxers tore during a 100m race and his manhood was dangling after him,when he realise what happen he vent his fury on the juniors,the lucky ones got away
    Met some of them several times but no ill feelings

• Partyrider

June 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hang students from a mango tree?thats brutal,but imagining the student hanging is actually funny.

15. Walkthetalk

June 24, 2013 at 10:40 am

I went to command so there’s a million and one stories to share about senior pangolos. Mehn some seniors were so wicked that the term ‘bully’ would not be appropriate to describe them. I’m sure if they were in the UK, they would have been described as ‘individuals with psycopathic tendencies’. It’s like being wicked gave them some cheap high or something. Some will just wake up and decide for absolutely no reason to punish the juniors. One day a senior punished a group of us while i was a junior (think i was in jss 2 or 3)and it was so horrible i reported to my parents because the housemistresses were useless! Well my parents didn’t take it kindly came to school and hell broke loose. Even the housemistress beefed me till I left the school because they put most of the blame on the housemistresses who turned blind eyes when such incidents were reported to them and allowed it to go on. Even seniors started fearing me. Not to say i wasn’t punished anymore but if i was among a group to be punished, then they let us go or modified the punishment from the horrible torture they had in mind before.

Saying that, I became a senior but i didn’t feel the need to pay back in full on my juniors. What is the point? (I think that is one of the problems we have in Nigeria. The need to bully/maltreat those below us because we were once on the receiving end of such treatment. i.e in the work place, mother-in-law/daughter-in-law saga, etc. Atoke, that’s another topic for you to write on).

Some people reading the next paragraph will be able to deduce which command i am talking about.

Just before we ‘passed out in ss3, it was our last exam (yoruba i think) the next day and the ss2 had some parting ‘gifts’ for us. Hmm, it wasn’t funny o! Because it was the last paper we were relaxed and could sleep. However some of my mates were rudely woken up and seriously beaten by the those in ss2. I asked some of them why they hadn’t beaten me and a few others and they replied why would they beat me? that they only beat the the wicked seniors. There was commotion in the morning as per my mates wanting to retaliate and the commandant sending some people home.

As I left school, I used to say that if I ever came across a wicked senior, I will so embarrass them blah blah blah.But with the passage of time i don’t think like that anymore. Worst I’d probable do is ignore them.But hey, I haven’t run into a wicked senior since leaving.

Another thing I want to add, is while there were winch seniors, you had some very rude juniors. (Not saying because juniors are rude then seniors should turn pschos on them). But I noticed in my set that most of the very rude juniors turned out to be very wicked seniors.

16. Positive

June 24, 2013 at 10:42 am

Atoke Dear! You are always on Point!

Wishing you an awesome week! Why won’t BN give you more features than Monday Morning Banter and BN Hot Topic nah?

I absolutely enjoyed my boarding school days and will do it all over again!!!
    I had a senior who treated me bad and made sure I was on every punishment list.
    I later discovered she really liked me and was only trying to get my attention somehow as I always preferred to hang out with my mates not seniors.
    I hope she’s doing well wherever she is but doesn’t try the same ‘game’ with someone else as they will most probably not handle it as nonchalantly as I did.
    You know, some people still carry on with that attitude outside school.

xoxo

17. Jo!

June 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

I went to Owinni (FGGC Oyo) for one year. absolutely loved it! I was getting in at a time the principal in charge was just clamping down on bullying, so I reported my seniors (which would have been suicide normally) successfully without repercussion. It did also help that my guardian was the VP sha :D.

18. Walkthetalk

June 24, 2013 at 10:43 am

Just seen my post, sorry for the epistle. lol

19. Yomiprof

June 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

My secondary school days was wow! Fortunately enough, the senior that one’s bullied me, i ended up teaching him Statistics in the university. His head was so empty like mama Emeka’ fry pan.

20. Berry Dakara

June 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Geez, these are some really horrible stories in the comments above.

I never went to boarding school, but I was “bullied” by my so-called school mother. Imagine this chick would collect my lunch and food money! I got annoyed one day and told her I didn’t want her as a school mother anymore and stopped speaking to her after that. She left me alone, funny enough.

A close friend of mine was targeted by the seniors (we were in SS1, they in SS2), because her older brother had been a senior prefect, 3 years ahead of us. So our immediate seniors seized the opportunity to exact their revenge on her. It didn’t help that one of their classmates (also a senior prefect) was dating her, and had previously dated someone else in their set. (Confused?)

Anyways, my friend and the guy ended up getting married, and all the senior girls who’d hated were all of a sudden trying to be her best friend and attend the wedding. :p

berrydakara.blogspot.com

21. Walkthetalk

June 24, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hahahahaha. Just read someone mention school mothers. Could you do a topic on school mothers/ sch0ol fathers as well please

• Mayowa

June 24, 2013 at 11:58 am

Walkthetalk I think you went to CSSI……LOL

22. pynk

June 24, 2013 at 10:56 am

Haha Boarding school was truly a learning center for me. I am mixed, heard the term “half caste” when i entered JSS 1 in an AIrforce Boarding school, didnt suffer too much, but you chalk up those things to life experiences. I tended to avoid the saddist seniors cos i put myself under one very nice senior’s wings. Bless sha. I think some of the senior simply displayed what they learnt from home.

23. Neo

June 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

Atoke, if we start this matter ehn we no go finish today. Boarding house was something else and i went to one of the “good ones” after suffering one horrible year in a hell hole in PH. The first year left me scarred, from going to beg cooks for hot water to bath at 5am, to pounding shit in “toilets” and fanning coal in iron all for some “seniors” in JS3 (the school was just 3 yrs old at the time)

When i transferred to ISI it was like i had gone to jand! From meals that operated like lotto in my former school (meaning if you get meat you win the jackpot) to table service of 10 people on a table and being entitled to 2 pieces of meat and even turkey/chicken on sundays i had arrived!

One thing that didnt change though was the seniors torment. I remember how they used to auction us like slaves after evening prep and this particular senior would say “Give me the XYZ sisters, they are very hardworking”.

My worst memory was in JS2, i had just discovered that i react badly to sure roll on and had massive boils under my arm, i used to walk like an eagle then. This foolish babe now sent me to go and fetch water in those long Saclux paint buckets, i even showed the screggy witch my underarm and she said she didnt care how i did it. That day i just started running to Matron’s house to report her, my school mother caught me cos she didnt want me to be a snitch and helped me fetch the water. she just put it in front of the door for me then i knocked and said i’d brought it. The ode was now aking me if it had killed me. Another one gave me uniform to wash and iron at 9:50pm and deliver to her the next morning, to avoid getting caught out after lights out i did sharo washing for the babe na, ironed and delivered it the next morning. she now said i didnt wash it well cos there were huge yellow stains in the armpit area and the babe punished me for an hr everyday that week. Like i’m the one that made her sweat ammonia like Lucifer. If i see any of those babes it will take the grace of God not to jam them small with moto. Btw I was a nice senior, apart from making the juniors dance for me (which they loved)

• hot mama

June 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm

rotflmaooo….eeya pele….even prisoners no suffer reach una…thank goodness i had jealous parents who wanted me to be a day student…chaii, some of these stories shaa

• Jo!

June 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I hear Abuloma…

• skinnygirl

June 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

NNSS PH!!!!!! LOLzzzz. Key words: Matron, sharo, lightsout

24. mo

June 24, 2013 at 11:09 am

Lol!!!!! I went to FGGC OYO……. but i left after my junior years….My dad could not stand it anymore when i cried all the way from Lagos to Oyo in JS3. He promised he would change my school if i did well in my JSCE exams…There was no better motivation to pass those exams! Off to ISL i went for my senior years.. 🙂 I hated Oyo like crazy… but my best friends now are the ones i made there and i have some good memories about the moving tree, bush babies and ‘hot hands’… Anyone in Tinubu house ’92-’98 set should remember that hot hands story…

• Jo!

June 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Errr, I was in JS1 in Tinubu in 98… Dorm 3

• Msunderstood

June 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I see a lot of fellow owinni babes. FGGC oyo, I greet thee. Memories.

25. Jet

June 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

I went to a Federal Government College and I was among the 3rd set in the school, the 1st set seniors where so mean, those of us that looked more mature for our age where always given the most difficult task. The truth is that for the very wicked ones when they came for their SSCE results all the students ‘gather brushed’ them in the presence of their parents. I think after that we didn’t really have mean seniors ’cause they took a cue from the 1st set. but some of my fondest memories till date were in boarding school.

26. Dr N

June 24, 2013 at 11:22 am

This really reminds me of my secondary school day back in naija.i went to a boarding school in the east and mehn the seniors were brutal then. I became a boarder in my jss2 and I was really young.
    The one mistake I made was not having a school mum as all they did then was finish ur provision shamelessly. I ran into lots of trouble as I refused to be anyone sch daughter.i was being practically singled out Everyday during d morning dining to b fetching water for loads of them and wash their clothes.omo I had to forgo morning dining.wake up very early do my dorm wrk and off to class which really helped me with my grades. Even when they catch me , I practically refused to carry heavy bucket on my head cos I claimed tobe asthmatic and that will trigger my asthma, I claimed to be allergiclto grass, all sorts really to survive cos I knew they would neva prove anything.my sis inhaler I would steal frm home and It was my right hand man any where I go.
    I had to forgo quite a lot ofmy lunch to get away frm dem HORRIBLE seniors. My senior year was much beta but I think my early years in boarding house made me a rounded individual N I became very independent in a gd way early and developed my killer survival instinct that r helping me now.
    I have run into some of them now but I chose to forgo what happened .i am not friends with those ones though.Imade very good friends that r more like sisters to me . Overall gd experience but unnecessary bullying which I think shldnt be tolerated.my thots though

27. Avon

June 24, 2013 at 11:25 am

I went to a boarding school; A federal one at that (FGGC Owerri) and i remember the most annoying of errands was sending me to another hostel at night to tell a senior ‘ I LOVE YOU’. Mind you! I went to a girls school.Mehn! even at that young age, i knew it was crazy and stupid. Secondly, after the wicked deeds the seniors had done, they ended coming back after passing out in the guise of FECA(FEDERAL EX-STUDENT’S CHRISTIAN ASSO) and i am like ‘hypocrites’.HEHEHEHEHEHE

• MsEzed

June 24, 2013 at 11:17 pm

If sending you to another hostel to tell someone “I LOVE YOU” was the worst you got aint you lucky lol. As for me I detested being sent to “six taps” or “kitchen tap” after night prep to go and fetch water for a stupid senior while their “stupidier” neighbors will be lounging on their beds or being sent to laundry to iron two sets or school uniforms, day wears and outing uniform without a freaking pressing iron and expect me to do some magic. Hehe me i bad gan i will jejely take them to class, fold them and ask my classmates to sit on them so they appear straightened i’ll then lie with a straight face to the senior that I ironed them lol.
      I so hated them screaming “a junior girl!!” and then send the last girl to run down to their corner.
      I was so chilled when I became a senior even though I was a prefect, I couldn’t be bothered. But fash loved every minute I spent in FGGC Owerri, the bullying wasnt as bad looking back now.

28. Boomie

June 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

Atoke, i could write a million pages of my ‘life’ in command kaduna…at a poiint, i was like my parent esp my mum didnt just like me oo.aside from the seniors who were confirmed witches and wizards with the exception of a very few extremely nice ones eg adams oshiomole daughter despite coming from an affluent home was nice even wen her colleagues were senior demons..the soldiers..babalawo,wakaduku as we named them were military horrors. getting to assembly late was another hell as you will be made to crawl on stones from a far distance till you get to the assembly hall,even if you were bleeding sef,OYO.saturdays were my most dreaded days in command as you have to be ready for inspection..thorough cleaning of our hostels and environs and woe betide the juniors if your house comes last(walahi, we just start feigning illness of different sorts just to be on admission) because the thoughts of the beatings that will come upon us on the courtyard is enough too sober you for lifeeeee. after inspection on saturdays is labour work where you go cut grass tire and God bless your soul if you have neither cutlass or hoe or worst sef, your name is not in the list of those that participated in the labour work…just begin to sing//’father receive me’. i also remember the days of the ghosts or willy willy, bush babies and the likes( never experienced such but had friends who could swear on their lives that they were real).i also remember assembly days where your hair was inspected if you had the correct uniform ,sandal or hairstyle..as juniors,once the biro ustays on your hair,dat means your hair is bushy and you will pay penalty by either flogging by the soldiers or the soldiers designing your hair in an occultic fashion and you will have no choice but to scrap your hair.we were so happy getting to ss class as no more low cut and pinafore but sadly the bully didnt stop as by then i had perfected the act of dogging ..men different dodging style from hiding in btw mattress, under the locked wardrobe,teachers quarters,sick bay,toilet tinzz. i can go on and on but in all we should know that this world is a circle and of note i made the best of friends in secondary school and we are still close till date…ciao

• hot mama

June 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm

rotflmaooo…i don laff tire today ooo…na real “Father receive me”, loool, and to think i was envious of the ‘boarders’ back in the day…abeg u guys are killing mi here..lolll

29. Dearie

June 24, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hello Atoke! Thanks once again.

I attended a boarding school throughout my secondary school days (a Catholic Missionary school). My boarding house days actually toughened me and made me hugely independent but to be candid, none of children will attend a boarding school – as long as I’m alive. In fact, I kicked against my 10yr old nephew being taken to a boarding school.

I was hugely bullied in secondary school, I had a nasty senior who wanted to try out her lesbian acts on me one midnight. I threatened to scream so she left me alone after biting my poor nipples. The following morning, she asked me to fetch 10 buckets of water from the borehole and pour into a gutter at the hostel.
    B!tch then added me on Facebook 3yrs ago – i ignored big time. I saw her invitation on bbm 3days ago, i confirmed, reminded her of what she did to me and told her never to contact me again. I then deleted and ‘ignored future invitations’. I’m sorry i may appear petty but that incident doesn’t sit well with me each time I remember.

Another mate of mine bullied the life out of me,gosh! I was a tiny 9yr old in JSS1 and my mates were 12/13/15 yr olds. This particular chick was the devil’s daughter.
    Let me just rest here.

• hot mama

June 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

rotflmaooo…haba Dearie forgive her naa….loooooooollllll

• B!

June 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Sweetheart you are NOT petty. I would have done the same thing had that bitch pulled that kind of lesbianism stunt on me. That was the best route to be honest.

• Ready

June 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Petty ke? You’re not petty o! She bit your nipples, dude! Build a Chinese wall mehn.

30. creamy

June 24, 2013 at 11:55 am

hmmm FGGC Akure smiles tears and shudders

• Person

June 24, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Oh Jesus!!! Fellow sufferer! I went to FEGGICOLA from JS 1- 3, ’94-97. Wickedness of the highest order. The seniors in that school were psychopaths, sociopaths and had any other personality disorders you can think of. They were EVIL people: no other word for what they did to me. I was tiny and scrawny so it made it easy for anyone to bully me. Even, a classmate bullied me!!! She had repeated the class but she wanted to be senior in JS1 dormitory. And then, ‘senior’ Kelechi who was my so called bunkmate in JSS3, only God can forgive her!!!

I complained endlessly to my parents and they thought I needed to toughen up before I started sending them suicidal notes in JSS3 first term. When the letters became constant, especially after Kelechi almost blinded me in my left eye, my Dad brought the whole power of the Ministry of Education on the Principal’s head. You should have seen the way this woman was shaking when she got a letter from the Minister with my name on it. I was never bullied again and I left after JS3 exams. Off to QC I went to be a day student! And yes, QC days were some of the best times of my education!

I still have nightmares till this day. I never went back to that school, not even to collect my results. My parents went to collect my things. No good memories AT ALL. that school was evil!

31. IamalearnerO!

June 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

O Yes! FGC Kano ! Memories gushing back… Senior Esther once asked me and Theresa to get her 2 buckets of water from Benue house tank during siesta and made us go on our knees and drink it first( from the bucket like animals) cos she felt we were angry (and yes we were angry!) and thought we spat in the water (yes we spat in the water!) but Theresa’s spit didn’t dissolve… yuck!. i just rinsed my mouth in the water and poured it right back back in the bucket( well… codedly of course!). After she made us kneel down for the rest of the siesta but i still felt good to get back at a Senior!

32. lolly

June 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm

awww @Avon, i went to FGGC Owerri too, I swore never to be in the boarding house cos of what i saw my mates going through in the hands of those wicked seniors, i met one of the bullies in my first year in uni, the babe was actually going to be in my class…..mcheew,

33. GREAT

June 24, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Oh my! very funny stories indeed…..but the moral of the story is ….to make a better society we have to be careful what we do with POWER,ensure that your children,nieces,nephews,friends children etc. understand what it means to show LOVE because honestly that former “bad senior”somewhere regrets he/her actions or is now only very terrible individual.

34. GREAT

June 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Oh my! very funny stories indeed…..but the moral of the story is ….to make a better society we have to be careful what we do with POWER,ensure that your children,nieces,nephews,friends children etc. understand what it means to show LOVE because honestly that former “bad senior”somewhere regrets his/her actions or is now a very terrible individual.

35. Missy

June 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Seniors didn’t rily bully me in sch cos I was one tough kid and I had lots of frnds in ss3 but I did give some seniors payback for bullying my besties and for sayin mean things to me. They came to dance ‘awilo logomba’ in my hostel one day (it was d social prefect’s birthday). They took off they clothes in the process and I packd evrythng, even shoes. I eventually released the clothes because they were punishing other juniors but they didn’t their shoes till the following monday. I still laugh when I remember that day. At least 2 of those senior girls registered 2yrs after me in Unilag. By then, seniority had changed hands. As a senior in secondary sch, I was kind to my juniors and I had lots of school daughters.

36. Ronkus

June 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Ha! I was a boarder at FGGC as well. This yeye senior called my father ‘stupid’. It pained me so much you’d think she slapped my father. Unluckily for her we got into same Uni. Let’s just summarise and say I made sure she apologised to me. She had no choice!

There are seniors and there are HORRIBLE seniors. Thinking back I can’t imagine how kids that young could possess hearts so dark. There was this particular senior that made my friend crawl with her knees on a rough gravel ground from one end to the other for 15 minutes. It scraped her knees and bled. Or the seniors that make you wash their blood stained undies? Or the ones that make you pound ‘shit’ (faeces) while it splashes on you? Or the ones that make you cut a plot of land filled with hard ingrown weed?

Atoke, leave me o… Lol

37. Olori

June 24, 2013 at 12:25 pm

When I was in JSS1, I used to play see-saw with my other tiny friends under the stair-well of the senior block cos there were a lot of planks and broken bricks there for us to use. One day, some of the senior girls just called my friends and I together and started accusing us of staying under thr stairs to look up thr skirts. They even punished us in a dark room. I was so shocked and confused, wondering what exactly was special under there own skirts (I’m a girl too). The incident really scared me and I planned a revenge (thats anothr story). My sch mother was thr and she didn’t even defend us. I dumpd her the next day. Saw her at the palms one day (sales girl) and I just walked on by.

38. Oyen'ke

June 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I was a day student and I didn’t really have cases of senior pangolo but for one experience. There was this senior who embarrassed me once during rehearsals for matchpast; I nursed dreams of me stoning and insulting her and taking to my heels… But I never quite carried out the plan. Lol

39. Lydia

June 24, 2013 at 12:41 pm

FGGC Sagamu, memories…, like dey were competing for most wicked senior, was all fun @ d end, grateful for d experiences and glad for the lifetime friends i made.

40. honeymix...

June 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Dis seniority issue, would it ever end. It looks like a baton being passed from a set to another, anytime a set gets to SS3,it looks like all the power in the school is bestowed upon them. It just would never stop. But the boarding house thing really taught me to be independent, that life is not as rosy as we all think, you have to fight for yourself and everything generally.
    FGCL taught me the tough side of life, brought the ruggedness in some people. Its commonly believed that if you start your monday back then in sch with punishment,all the days of the week would just be so terrible like that,there were diff kinds of punishments, d agama style, frog style and d sorts,Another terrible one is go and meet senior so so and so and collect the novel ‘journey of no return’, when a senior sends you that one,just jejely go and hide in the classroom area cos thats when all the seniors in the dorm would bring out their buckets and cloths for you to wash, it really was a terrible experience. If you were buttish or creme or pretty, you may escape this punishment wahala as seniors would even be fighting to be your sch mother. So many experiences of different punishment. Sometimes a senior would just wake in the middle of the night and decide to punish you or the whole set for no just reason. I remember an instance where a dining hall prefect slapped me for coming late to the dining hall and used me ‘to gain rep’ as its popularly called, she was always picking on me for no just cause, all for her to be a junior colleague in university, the day she first saw me in the department, she could not look me straight in the eye, I walked up to her and asked her about everything generally and then made jest of her in a subtle way that i was even 2years ahead of her, am very sure she wanted to enter the ground that day, till i left the school she avoided me in every possible way like a plague and i always taunted her purposefully.
    The worst is when a ‘hot guy’ in their set now likes you and asks you out, mehn!!! na gobe be that,infact the girl is finished, the best is for her to leave the sch,if not the girls in the guy’s set would make her life a living hell.is it now her fault the guy asked her out, e gba mi o. On saturdays after inspections just carry all your necessary things and run away to any class area cos Jesus bless you if any senior meets you in that dorm,your own is finished and gently come back late in the night to sleep. So many times i had to feign chest problems and pretend as if i could not breathe and wanted to die, though this ‘chest wahala’ helped me alot in times of severe punishment as i was always remembered for my chest issues which we not real
    Even with your mates nko, if a guy gets to the dining table first, all the girls there should not bother coming again as the first two guys would packk all the food meant for 10 people. It was survival of the fittest,imagine a girl getting to the table first and then having to fight with a guy on her table over the food. Gosh if I remember all those experiences my fingers would go numb with typing.
    So many seniors back then in sch that are even in junior levels,just an irony of life, but when we all sit and reminisce of those days, we just know it only was for that time and we have all forgiven each other. But trust me i would never allow my child go to a Federal Government College’s boarding house till I Jesus comes. I’m a living testimony of that evil in the name of seniority done there.

41. hot mama

June 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm

oh my days!!! looool…i cant help but comment on all these stories…im glad that even with all u guys passed thru, y’all turned out very well…walahi i cant imagine going thru what u went thru ooo…u shuda seen me beefing my parents naa cos i wanted to be a boarder and they gave me correct ‘ella’ NO!!thank God ooo they refused. if na oyinbo suffer all the things, na straight suicide ooo with explanation after the act…i guess that shows how strong minded we are as a people ,that we can survive most situations we find ourselves in….no wonder these politicians take us for granted a lot, cos they believe we go survive their rubbish..

42. hot mama

June 24, 2013 at 1:23 pm

*suffer all the things u guys have written here*

43. JADE

June 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm

So does it mean no one went to FGC Enugu here? truly if we start talking about this senior pangolo issue e no go finish oh! i remember when i was in JS 3 and one senior gave my friend the “sitdown and think about your boyfriend” punishment and slept off, my friend hang leg for over 3 hours oh and then she dozed off, only to land on the cement floor and get a bad concussion plus she couldnt move her right leg, her mother came to the dorm and beat the crap outta that senior ehn, we were all dancing and clapping hands gleefully. So we had this wicked senior when i was in JS 1, Senior Promise, she was a wicked soul, a psycopath. she could punish you from the beginning of the term till the end, so i saw her at Akin Adesola last year waiting for a cab/bike beside a pool of water,i gleefully zoomed through the water area and splashed the mucky water on her 🙂 im sure she would have wondered who that was and what she did. Two months ago, it rained and here was no bus so on my way to the main land i decided to pick some people and help them to CMS, lo and behold Senior Tosin of burn your tongue with hot tea 🙁 was the first to get in, i calmly said Senior Tosin please get down from my car and she said ah, u went to FGCE? I said yes and you forced me to burn my tongue with hot tea so please get the eff down from my car 😐 i could see the regret and shame on her face but i didnt effing care. ALL my wickd seniors im always rude and abusive towards cos i went to hell and back and hell again cos of them 🙁

• Neo

June 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Looool. So u still called her Senior to “bans” her from your car? LOOOOOOOOOL

• Berry Dakara

June 25, 2013 at 11:11 am

WOW! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

44. Kings College Lagos made you want to be a senior, you were like a king, you had to stand up when a prefect entered your class, you couldnt walk on a senior’s corridor and the bastards were power drunk.

• MsEzed

June 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Same with FGGC Owerri, You dare not walk on a senior’s corridor and by seniors it includes the set directly ahead of you. And you have to take permission before entering a seniors class a la “excuse me seniors please may I come in?” lol and ofcourse who born you to sit down when a senior enters your class especially during prep periods
      laughing out loud at the memories. They were fun sha

45. Truth Teller

June 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’ve laughed and fallen off my chair!sure my colleagues are wondering if i’ve lost [email protected], I couldn’t stop laughing at massive boils under your arms and walking like an eagle, and the ammonia lucifer sweat, [email protected], you cried from lagos to [email protected], couldn’t get over this “some seniors were so wicked that the term ‘bully’ would not be appropriate to describe them. I’m sure if they were in the UK, they would have been described as ‘individuals with psycopathic tendencies, [email protected] or willie willie, bush baby and co..never had that in my school that I know of even though the entire land was built on people’s graves!, @Iamalearner o,how guilty you were, funny as hell.,@Avon, lwkmd @I LOVE YOU…..I can go on and on, practically all the comments are plain hilarious. I went to BCA,it was termed a “butter” school, so I don’t have any wicked memories,neither was there any (legal) seniority but there were still mean seniors none the less. I never had the time to be wicked as a senior. My juniors loved me so much and even cried when I was leaving because I kept ‘contraband” for them . you won’t believe contraband was – food stuff or provisions if you like – that was illegal as it was pooled in a yeye ‘snacks room’ and given at ‘snack time’. Fond memories for me.I learnt a lot especially management and can’t thank God enough for the friends I made. I have come across some of the mean seniors in recent times and can boldly say i’m like a celeb compared to them…’in their faces’! (hee hee). Lmao @ everyone who faked an illness/ailment…still can’t get over some of the names you called the evil seniors…..Thanks guys,thanks Atoke, you’ve made my day.

46. eniola

June 24, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Atoke mwuaah! MEMOIRS!!! chei. First i went to a single sexed school for my JSS 1 – 3, which i had to change cos their water was bad and i often fell sick. I have countless memories from that school though, from the rules i broke to the many wicked seniors. One very funny one i’ll never forget was, the many pranks played on some seniors. We were usually asked to go and fetch water for ”mama cook”, two buckets each. So yours faithfully would fetch one bucket, show to the senior in charge, mark the register and journey towards the kitchen then make a turn into my hostel, take a different route after some time, go back to mark my name for the second bucket and take the initial route to my hostel, hence not fetching any water for ”mama cook”. And at other times when i don’t pull this stunt, when the food prefect comes to my hostel after light out to flog those that didn’t fetch water, i’ll go and hide between the GP tanks in front of my hostel. *cantwatch* LOL. yeas, i was that little. Until i divulged my secret to two of my friends who in turn had other close friends. Na so culprits like me plenty, chei! you don’t wanna know wassup the night we were caught. chai! i chop belt no be small.Once i was caught with my dear friends cooking in the hostel with boiling ring. x_x:( One very bad senior that wanted to punish my group one day for not discharging our morning duties one afternoon during siesta, but luckily i did mine, She was already singing the praise of the only portion that was swept, until she found out that i was the lamb, her tone changed, ”gbogbo yin le ti e daran” – you are all in trouble. She made us think about our boyfriends (you’ll place your right foot on your left knee, your left arm in akimbo, your elbow to your right knee then your right hand on your jaw) she would lash me in particular with rubber belts – three belts curled up in one at intervals. I can never forget that day, She just had this hatred for me because i was a Lagos student and left to her, i do yanga with my spoken English, abi is e my fot that she’s from one of the villages around ni? She would intentionally call me and speak in vernacular to me, expecting that i would respond in the same tongue, which was prohibited and would even attract a fine of five naira for every word spoken in a language different from English. Once i saw her in the club, i greeted the other seniors that were with her nicely and led her on to think i was coming to her, she stood up to hug me, i just gave her this ”do i know you look” and went unto the next person and afterwards left them in regular. My last three years was in a mixed school, it was just so boring has our staff quarters wasn’t far from the hostel at all hence, we were onward christian soldiers.

47. Walkthetalk

June 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

@ Mayowa I ain’t saying nowt…… LOL. Were you one of the ss2’s that beat my mates? or worse u were one of the seniors i reported?

• Mayowa

June 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm

LOOOL. I was same set as you but not same house……memories mehnnnn

48. justmii

June 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

he he he @ school mothers. I went to a private school in Lagos so no horror stories but the other option I had for common entrance was FGGC ipetu and I would have been the first set in that school and that was because my elder sister went to FGGC Oyo and after the terrible stories my parents said no way ( laughed at the bush babies and hot hands cos my sister was in Tinubu in that set and we heard stories). But even in my private school they insisted then that we call our Seniors -Senior so and so. I met up with one of them said Seniors on facebook who actually happened to be my “school mother” school mother my butt…and I asked after one of her sisters (they were classmates i.e said school mother and her sisters) and I asked how is Adeola, her response was is that what you’d call her now. Shock catch me!!! gurl we have left high school do you expect me to still be calling her Senior Adeola???? Abegggg levels has changed. Senior Adeola is my older sister’s age mate and everyone that knows my family knew that we never did the whole Sis or Bro deal, my parents were big on that no sis or bro. I call my elder sister to date by name and for crying out really 3 yrs older is still in the same age bracket as far as I am concerned so sorry dear ex-school mother no Senior Adeola after high-school. I told her well if you want me to call her Senior then I would not ask after her anymore. As for you if you want me to speak to you, I know your first name and I will use it if not well you know where you can shove your seniority. Ain’t nobody got time for that!!!!

• aii

October 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm

lol i attended FGGC oyo too but 14 set, it was bad but definitely not as bad as your sisters

49. Ibiere

June 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Oya oFGGC Abuloma babes where you guys at??? Come and give us d gist!! 🙂 I know you guys had some nastyyyy seniors! I was a day student thank God!!!!!

50. Dammie

June 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hmmmm my Senior Pangolo stories plenty o but would share this particular 2. I went 2 this school as a transferred student in ss1 n 1 of those days got punished by our Senior prefect then,this babe punished me and another girl from like 11pm-3am and to worsen it she was washing right in-front of us so mosquitoes became our friends that night and I thought I forgave her when she passed out or so I thought but I guess I never did cos I saw her trad wedding pics recently n I could not bring myself to wish her well and I still kept thinking about that night…….fast forward to my ss2,I started dating 1 of the popular blokes back then who was my senior but repeated to become my mate and trust me when I say the beef amongst his mate(females) was too much,I thought I was going to die n almost died sef,1 of such girls who couldn’t hide her beef used her position as a prefect to flog me in the eye whilst I stretched out my hand o and ma eye got swollen and was bringing out pores,could only see with 1 eye and when my mates saw my eye situation,they kept pushing me to go report her to the school authorities which I almost did until 1 of her school daughter who was my mate went to give her heads up on what I was planning to do and she cornered me with some of her mates to beg me and I eventually dint report her but my darling bf then gave her a serious showdown during our midterm hols that year and I heard he almost beat her. I guess the showdown drove a point home because when we got back to school and I’m about to be punished,someone somewhere would always say “Abeg let so so person’s(they wld mention his name) gf go o before her bobo corner u 4 outside school”. Though I have a scar and frequent irritation with that eye till date but I never really had any senior punish me again after that period and I think I was a really cool senior,did not have time for punish them because I was hardly around,was either too busy attending to the needs of my younger brother or kissing my bf bk den*big grin*

51. new bride

June 24, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I never went to boarding school and my children will NEVER go to boarding school either.

52. Aby

June 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I had a lot of senior pangolos o,I was 9yrs in jss1 and a lot of seniors wanted to be my school mother but I no gree,A senior called me to gist with her while she was washing(wanted to be my school mum)A girl from my set came to meet me and said senior so so said you should help her wash this clothes and my reply was am I the one washing here,she came back again and dropped the clothes on the floor and left(she was my mate o)I left the clothes there on the floor and went straight to my bed.The senior pangolo came and was beating me on the bed even while I was sleeping,she dumped the clothes on my bed and asked me to wash it around 2.am,A senior of mine saw me crying like a bush baby and helped me wash the clothes,on visiting day I reported to my mum and she went straight to principals office,even my friends was begging me not to report,the senior was asked to wash boys toilet .To cut the long story short my mum knew the seniors mother and her mum begged my mum that the senior is a spoilt child.i met her at an aunts naming and she was trying to feel familiar,I just replied with hello and left,my mum said ha you should forgive her.

53. ebby

June 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

FGGC minjibir. sweet memories! my story is a different one, no bullying cos i went to boarding house as a sick child and doctors report backing me up. the then ass. head girl was my school mother, the v.principal was my guardian, i had a lot of back up from the top, my cousins were seniors and very popular in school(big girls of the school) and with all these i was treated in a very special way. when i got to senior class i never bullied any junior cos my younger sister was a junior and the only way to get back at anything i do is to make her suffer so i never bullied any junior. there was this day a senior was trying to be just wicked, she sen me out very early in the morning to fetch a bucket of water knowing that there was scarcity of water and it was too early to go out, i took the bucket to my school mother and that day she was cautioned. there was also this day we were asked to pack poopoo with our bare hands, that one was very horrible sha, i couldnt eat my favourite tuwo shinkafa and eguis soup that dat. i had some fuuny expereinces sha but through general punishment that i couldnt escape, buh in all, i miss my secondary school days. i met the most wonderful people i know in my life now there.

54. honeymix...

June 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

One thing i noticed with these hilarious stories is that most are from Federal Government Colleges.Is it a common thing with all these schools.

55. genny

June 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm

hmmm, seems like all the comments above are federal government schools. let me narrate my own from the private corner. I went to a private ‘posh’ school in Port Harcourt.(Jephthah Comprehensive Secondary School) there was bullying as well i.e pounding shit (eww), lying under the bed common among the boys. My Jss1 was my worst year ever, i was bullied because of my not so posh accent, i made the mistake of bringing posh sandals and shoes which were always borrowed and never returned, one of my amebo family friends went to announce that my father was so so & so (famous)person which they used in tormenting me the more. I remember once when we went for saturday fellowship and in the middle of the service a senior sent for me in hostel, i came to meet her and she begged me to please wear her slippers and give her my posh sandals because hers were spoilt, i exchanged with her of course (juniors don’t say no). there was another instance a senior borrowed my watch and never returned. infact we were confused as to who actually owned what because it seems they had a rotation for borrowing things everyday. what my eyes saw eehn, these seniors also borrowed bras & pants from their friends. some of them soak their blood stained undies and forget it under the bed for weeks. during my jss1 days before juniors and seniors were seperated in different hostels due to bullying,one of my classmate caught a senior in the night URINATING into someone’s soaked clothes in the bucket instead of going to the toilet. Of course the person noticed the strange smell in the morning and my classmate told what she saw. The senior denied and said my friend was dreaming. the housemistress told this senior to shut up her lying mouth as it was not the first time she had done it. then once in my sss1, we had just resumed school and a senior borrow borrow girl came and asked me to lend her my wedge shoes. apparently wedge shoes was reigning that period and all her classmates had it. i gave her and she promised to return it the next week. she then told me that i should not tell anyone they’re my shoes and that i shud not come to her class to look for her. weeks passed and when i asked her for my shoes she started saying i should please sell it to her. that can she buy them? huh? i said no and then she begged me to give her more time till they fixed her shoes. to cut the story short i sent one of my classmates that was in her hostel to smuggle my shoes for me and the senior never even asked me if i got my shoes. lets not talk of the fetching of water part and bullying us for fish and chicken. can’t forget when a group of senior boys drank two crates of soft drinks they kept outside for sunday lunch. that was the last time we had soft drinks on sunday. it was capri-sonne till i left that school. thanks to ngozi asuru, nancy anabrabra, nletem kelechi, vyne nworgu, etc for making my life miserable. i hope i never meet you again cuz if i do, na wahala be that….. nancy i hope you’re no longer dirty and untidy. no junior to send in uni oo. haahaha

• NakedSha

June 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Wow!

So, it is my first comment on BN and perhaps my only. I was told that someone mentioned my alma mater (Jephthah) in a comment and ran over to read what it was, only to read this.

I’m really sorry you had to go through this. I went to Jephthah too (set ’08) and as I much as I know we had our own fair share of bullying, I’m shocked to know some of these things went on. I guess I excelled at zoning out from some of the sad things seniors used to do. I thoroughly was opposed to bullying, sending, etc when I was in secondary school and in fact, the only person who ever washed for me was my sister (who once sneaked into my room, picked my sports shoes, washed them, and returned them to me because I was very very sick but refused to ask anyone to wash for me). But, I got treated wrongly too by seniors whom I thought I would detest for the rest of my life. Shocking news…I don’t! Judging people by their secondary school characters is both unfair to them and to us because secondary school is a stage and the characters are poorly casted. In fact, people really do realise that secondary school is made up of a lot of folly…that’s what happens when people are asked to be together for so long and with so many strict rules. But while it had its really great points, school – in hindsight – is also a really embarrassing road-show.

Pls, look at it that way. When I talk about my junior years and the ridiculous things we faced as juniors, I do so with so much enthusiasm because it is in the past now. It always, always, always ends in laughter because I have decided for it to do so. I have met with “unpleasant” seniors recently and have been very cordial towards them. I have nothing against them – but I’m armed with the memories of what we all passed through and once in a while, will bring it up. But, you’ll be surprised that they too cannot believe they did what they did.

Wo, it was secondary school. Please, let go of the anger…I see you’ve mentioned names too. My dear, don’t worry, everyone has stories to tell. But some of us tell them and laugh through them while others groan and grunt. Your choice.

‘Funmi Oy.
      [email protected]

56. Bimpe

June 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Please, AFCS was not bad compared to other schools. I mean our school was very new (1992) and rules were followed to the T.

You could only punish jnrs and the punishment was limited self. If a student reported you for severe punishment or beating, you could be suspended.

57. Yoruba Geh

June 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

awwww..
    i was a day student all thru,didnt have all these experiences….
    jade!i cant stop [email protected] tosin pls get down!

58. Senior

June 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Kai! Some of una get strong heart o! After all these years! I went through a lot but can’t be bothered to hang on to the anger. Funny thing is I’m glad I went to boarding school. Without it, NYSC camp would have been a self-contained in hell. Is it the toilets or the bathrooms? Or pads in the hallways? Or pounding shit? Or posting your Number 2s in Milo tins, and St. Louis and Cabin boxes? My child must spend one year minimum in boarding school.

59. kemi

June 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I went to boarding school and it was the most exciting 6 years of my life. I lie. It was the most crazy, torment of my life. I will never send my kids or even my grandkids…to any type of boarding school. It is a place for torment.lol

60. kemi

June 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Kneel down and fly your hands 180 degrees…l had a senior put her clothes on my hands when I fly my hands
    Starvation week…going to beg for garri or stealing from the farms
    Raiding food from the dining halls…
    Witches stories ….pray pray pray
    Interhouse sport and matching….
    Taking shower with a 1.5 liter container
    Valentine day with seniors…
    lie down in the sun during punishment
    go and cut grass during punishment
    Dealing with mosquitos and rats in the dormitory, the rats were the size of an animal…scary moments

boarding school is the most exciting and yet the most scariest thing you will ever experience in your lifetime. lol

61. The Original Beebee

June 24, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Any QC Old girl in the house?!!!!

• aunty

June 24, 2013 at 7:31 pm

been waiting!

• lulu

June 25, 2013 at 12:29 am

QC …… my junior years were a mixed bag. But may God bless Senior Daisy, Ebele and Oluchi for their kindness to me. I can never forget them till today. All the punishment from those other seniors (from cleaning toilets, slaps, kneeling in quadrangle and the many insults about the shape of my head, ear,etc) only made me stronger. So I shall thank them!

62. princess

June 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Senior kpangolo kai i suffered in JSS1 sha in no other person but my family friends hands kia, that girl dealt with me. the one i would never forget in a hurry was when i packed my not so dry towel in my bag and it was smelling damp, unfortunately for me she chose to inspect my bag, when she found d towel she started calling me a pig, she took off my clothes leaving me naked took me round to hostel to start telling everyone i was a pig! she made me washing every single belonging i had i cried till i had no more tears to cry.

63. deevagal

June 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

i take offense to the fact that my precious alma mata was mentioned in such a derogatory manner. i went to Airforce Comprehensive School Ibadan for 6years and it was bitter sweet. junior days could be somehow because there were always sm evil seniors but its never that serious as to be boldly written on bella naija. and besides, Jen didnt go to AFCS, her sista Regina did. so i dont see y Jen should mention my school as though she experienced any bullying. AFCS had its issues but ultimately, the values and memories we got from all the experiences (good and bad) makes up for everything. im actually kinda upset. Atoke, i like u o.. but this is not good

64. genny

June 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm

@NAKEDSHA funmi oyat…. is that you? hahaha. i have forgiven them ooo. no hard feelings. i just felt there was no need doing all those things they did. despite what they did to me i was nice to my juniors. never bullied any of them. i miss jcss sha. thursday fish and night cookie. hahahaha

• NakedSha

June 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Na me oh. Hehe. Now, I wish I knew who you are.

My dear, JCSS forms 6 years of our memories. All in all, it was an experience indeed.

65. bimpe

June 25, 2013 at 12:34 am

Thank you oh……and theres no way Gina was bullied. She was one of the happening babes in the 4th set that enjoyed school mother, airforce base, popular jingo connect.

66. Bevshine events

June 25, 2013 at 12:49 am

No Qc stories? Great…..Qc girls will always be ladies.

• Miss Anonymous

June 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

QC wasn’t so bad compared to all these stories I’m reading. Had our own fair share of seniors bullying but it was nothing compared to what I’ve read here. You definately weren’t allowed to beat or flog anyone, even teachers weren’t allowed to that. I was there during Mrs. Marinho’s time and she was a classy but strict woman who didn’t condone any form of mistreatment.

I’m glad I went to boarding school for the independence and early sense of responsibility it gave, and would gladly send my kids to boarding school, though not just any boarding school.

67. ola

June 25, 2013 at 1:55 am

I guess a federal schools are the same; there was a lot of bullying. For me the memories in FGGC Bauchi (1986-92) are bitter sweet; however those were the best years of my youth. I wish my kids can experience the boardinng sch life becos kids these days have a sense of entitlement and are not exposed to suffering

68. sparkles

June 25, 2013 at 3:17 am

omg, cant stop laffing at all these comments. I went to lasmocol, igbogbo and mehn, it wasn’t [email protected] all, there were just some dare devil seniors sha. my childhood friends had to change school becos of seniors. and can u imagine that one particularly wicked senior was her cousin and she didn’t know. they found out when she cried all the way from home to school just because of this one senior morenike ajiborisha. besides all the wickedness of seniors and all that. boarding house was a learning field for me as I learnt to be strongly independent at a very tender age. all memories now jare.

69. Camo

June 25, 2013 at 8:00 am

Any FGGC Onitsha babe in the house?! The years I spent in that school were the most 6 beautiful years of my life. If I start my stories this site will not contain the epistle. Yes I was bullied, I was given mass beating ( A situation where 4 or more senior girls beat you with whatever they had at the same time), I proved tough very tough, fought a senior girl, although I didnt bully younger ones cos i was too busy enjoying my form 6 to bother. And yes I sent them on errand, I had to beat 3 of them that proved tough ( met one of them recently when she came for Miss Earth Pageant in Lag, we sat down gisted for more than 4 hours, she even told me that they proved tough because they tot i wouldnt beat them and i was quite small that they didnt know i had such strenght Looool!… Did i mention my escapades in the Agric farm? hehehehehehehe I was busy planting in the day and harvesting @ night. Some seniors made my life miserable and I met one of them we talked a lot, she didnt even remember some of the things she did (including making me sleep outside). Please let us let go of the anger just like a lot of ppl over party and drink and have careless sex in their teenage age. Bullying in boarding school was one of the juvenile exuberance ppl displayed. If u see any of ur wicked seniors greet nicely and get talking you will always notice that most of them had no clue of the consequence of their actions.

70. dami

June 25, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Lool, some people are just plain evil. I went to boarding school as well but it was beautiful. I grew up rather fast and I had a school mother. She was so nice she’ll even wash my undies and clothes and even stand with me brushing my teeth and bathing cuz my mum complained she didn’t like how I looked on visiting day. I remember she was the first to know when I started menstrauting.i can never forget her and till today she still teaches me a lot. Being a senior I used to do peagants and dash out all my chocolates to juniors. I think I punished once.oh my school daughter. I still love her to bits.

71. slice

June 26, 2013 at 3:01 am

posting someone’s name here is not right. such information should be redacted. You have readers in America and i’m sure you’ve heard americans love to sue. If you think there are no privacy laws in Nigeria, please think again. Plus on a basic level it’s just not right

72. Mayo

June 26, 2013 at 6:09 am

Boarding school was amazingly fun. It molded me despite the flogging, hitting, bullying, and punishments. At the point, I hated it initially but i grew into it. I look back now and I am so grateful that I went to boArding school. I went to a private boarding school (NINLAN/UNDSS). I didn’t have it bad at all; thanks to school mothers and kissing major arse… Hehe

• slice

June 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

now, I’m starting to wonder if this contributes to people accepting domestic violence as part of life. u listed flogging, hitting and bullying and somehow managed to grow into them. Not just you but quite a few people said similar things. If allow these things in boarding school, it’s small wonder people continue to do or accept them in their marriages. (I went to boarding school too but hitting was not allowed. teachers and students alike did not hit)

73. aleesha

June 28, 2013 at 9:45 am

please where are my FGC Odogbolu peeps?! The first four years were kinda hard, but its all fond memories now, and yeah boarding school made me tougher. I made lifelong friends too..

74. aii