Features

Ten Ways To Be A True Lagos ‘Fashionista’… NOT!

A month ago a friend of mine moved to Nigeria from “obodoyibo” (America to be specific) and I decided to take her around Las Gidi.  After a while, I noticed she was becoming less interested in our outings. What kind of Yankee duller is this babe I thought, so one day I decided to confront her. My friend is a very beautiful lady; most men would look at her twice if she walks past. However, she told me she always felt under dressed each time we went out.  I laughed so hard and realized that our Lagos “fashionistas” have most likely tensioned her closet. At this point, with my “tongue in cheek I decided to enlighten her by giving 10 tips on how to become a Lagos fashionista from head to toe.

Hair: To be a true Lagos fashionista, you have to be a member of team weave from any continent apart from Africa. You must purchase several bundles and the weave ought to be at least 18inches long. If for any reason your natural hair needs to be out, (this must not happen too often by the way), it should ONLY be packed up into a bun that’s at least 10cms high.

Eyebrows: Any makeup artist would tell you that the eyebrows are the most important facial feature. As a fashionista you have to accentuate your eyebrows by making them as thick as possible and draw them like an upside down Nike sign.

Eyes: How else are you going to draw attention to yourself if your eyes don’t speak volumes? Your eye makeup needs to be very dramatic. This can only be done by making use of many colours of eyeshadow at the same time. Don’t forget to stick on false lashes that are long enough to touch your eyebrows.

Lips: Let your lips do the talking without saying a word! Use only very bright colours like red, pink, purple, orange and plum. If you do not want to diversify, just stick to a MAC Ruby Woo and call it a day. Please DON’T forget to pout.

Skin tone: It’s unfortunate but fashionistas are not supposed to be dark in complexion. If you are not naturally fair you have to make use of chemical peels, lightening and bleaching creams. If you are lucky enough to be light in complexion, you had better maintain it and avoid the sun as much as possible. If the air conditioning in your boyfriend’s car is faulty….dump him.

Clothes: This in itself is a topic on its own.  All I can say is whatever a fashionista is putting on MUST have some element of colour blocking. For example you can combine a yellow top with a purple skirt and carry a green hand bag!

Shoes: Thou shall not be caught wearing flat shoes. If your shoes are not at least 6 inches, high dispose of it. The accepted standard is any high heeled shoe with a red sole as it can easily pass as designed by Christian Louboutin.

Manicure & Pedicure: As a fashionista, every part of you needs to be colourful and loud. Therefore, nobody is supposed to see your nails without some colour. It is also important to make sure your fingernails are very long like a lion’s claw.

Accessories: Over accessorizing does not exist in a Lagos fashionista’s rule book. Your outfit is never complete without a huge statement necklace (at least 0.2 kg); heavy bracelets aka ‘arm candy’, gigantic chandelier ear rings, Michael Kors wrist watch (fake or real) and a collection of “vintage” rings.  Also, fashionistas do not carry handbags that are not from a high end label.

Mobile Phones: To complete your Lagos fashionista look, you must be in possession of at least two phones. One must be a blackberry (Bold 5 and above) and the other should be an iPhone or Samsung galaxy phone. The Blackberry is supposed to help you look busy as you ping away because a fashionista is not supposed to be idle. The iPhone and Samsung is for you to post your look of the day on Instagram for your “fans” to like and learn.

DISCLAIMER: I strongly believe less is more but if you feel like trying any of these tips……be my guest!

Photo Credit
: morsipr.blogspot.com

1. preciousong

June 11, 2013 at 11:03 am

ur on point, lagos girls no wan gree atall, they must be beautiful by all means

2. omalicha

June 11, 2013 at 11:05 am

No comment… i cant wait for comments to start rolling in

• goldfinch

June 11, 2013 at 9:33 pm

My best part:
      “As a fashionista you have to accentuate your eyebrows by making them as thick as possible and draw them like an upside down Nike sign.”

3. Bimbo

June 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

LMAO! Love dis piece!

• Berry Dakara

June 11, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I TOTALLY AGREE!

Maybe this is why I stay indoors or go to places like Terra Kulture, where nobody cares that my hair’s natural :p

• impervious

June 11, 2013 at 2:14 pm

ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO ECHO…. true say!

4. meez

June 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

LMAOOOOOO hilarious!

5. Demmy

June 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

LMAO. This is so funny. But then that’s how all these so called Lagos babes dress.x

6. pamilerin

June 11, 2013 at 11:11 am

lmaoooo…na real fashionista

7. Ibukunoluwa

June 11, 2013 at 11:14 am

hahahahahahaha … how on earth do they keep up?! so not for me, life is too beautiful to confine myself to vanity rules like this…throw on flats, jeans and T-shirt, pony-tail and roll!

8. namegetmahand

June 11, 2013 at 11:17 am

hehehehehehe……………….. am laughing o!

9. Nanya

June 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

OMG…………..this just got me cracking up…………….

10. C

June 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hahahaha…love this piece…

11. Charlotte

June 11, 2013 at 11:22 am

This is so true..take my school for example(c.u) this applies except for d fact dat we dnt use fones but at least u must have an iPad ( not an iPad 1 by the way ) pple have even dumped dem for the iPad mini…dunno why girls are now so fake trying so hard to impress.i personally have a friend who is struggling so hard to belong saying she’ll sell some of her stuff just to ve all these…Smh! Girls just be real and stay true to ur self. If u can’t afford something leave it dnt go leaving a life of fantasy and living above your means.

• T-bag

June 11, 2013 at 12:23 pm

U ‘re so correct Charlotte…..Being a CU graduate myself I can TOTALLY relate with what u ‘re saying. After enduring their Colour-blocked outfits, dem go come colour block their face again, when ur face no be colouring book for God’s sake! Paint lips like Metro cab, nails like fuel nozzle. And d bleaching? Dat just kills me! Black girls are nearing extinction in dis country….And na their type dey carry Ipad go club….Shior! And d writer forgot d fake foreign accents, very important feature of a “lagos fashionista”…..It’s just crazy mehn…May God help us

• Bella

June 11, 2013 at 1:47 pm

My dear, this is a disease that carries on into adulthood, marriage and it will be the end of your friend if you dont tell her to mind her self very well. Caution her o, dis is a well she will never rise from. No man can stand all these pressures and she is only at varsity, I pity her, change o change o!

12. xoxo

June 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

This made my morning…….

13. bussie

June 11, 2013 at 11:33 am

Totally accurate! and funny!!

14. pynk

June 11, 2013 at 11:36 am

way too true! i moved back and it confuses me how pple wear 25 inches of hair in the damn heat.

• CEO

June 14, 2013 at 11:59 am

My sister I wonder ooooooo. Hahahaha! I see all the weave masters and when people ask me why im not all weaved out ,I’m like if I tried I will yank the hair out in the middle of the night.

• bella

July 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm

@ceo,i no fit lafff ooooooo…………,i think say na only me,lmao”””

15. Mma

June 11, 2013 at 11:39 am

Count me out! lol
    africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

16. Retrochic

June 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

It is so true, so many fake wannabees, all these chicks with long braz hair, and the latest bags, just have abt 1500 naira in their accts, and they carry phones and bags worth a fortune, it all doesn’t make any sense to me

17. sarafina

June 11, 2013 at 11:47 am

Lmao! I can’t…

18. theeto

June 11, 2013 at 11:49 am

hmmmm!, dis reminds me of my flend, she has, galaxS4, bb, bbplay book, ipad4, have a [email protected] work and all she does on these thingys apart from d office system is face book and songs * eyesrolling*

• woteva

June 11, 2013 at 12:06 pm

hope ure not talkin about mee…ode

• Ready

June 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Lol! A hit dog will holler.

19. joy

June 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

Abiam!I must belong*forcing guy(shakara) dey dnt kno less is more

20. Tobi

June 11, 2013 at 11:54 am

The bleaching aspect is very popular here in Bells

• Hmmmmm

June 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I concur o, bleaching plus long weave. Most of them are empty brains (sorry to say)

21. didabliz

June 11, 2013 at 11:54 am

INFS OOOOOO!

22. hanny

June 11, 2013 at 11:57 am

I’m hoping to move to Lagos too,but that means I’ll be the most plain lookinh woman that ever lived. The thing that’s most funny is the Nike eyebrows,every girl in Lagos has the exact same type. God help us!!!

23. Zero

June 11, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hahahaha..loving this post…

24. ebby

June 11, 2013 at 12:10 pm

LMAO i love the dump boyfriend part. i concur 100%. hhehehehehe just kidding. when i never see bicycle wey go carry me go work sef.

25. Ready

June 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm

But why? I get that dudes like girls who look like those in the video, and that would explain the misguided who bleach, overaccessorize, and wear hair heavier than airline regulation luggage. But this need to acquire several phones and other technology…why?
    Our menfolk and smart babes are all over property and investment funds, and some people are spending their (or poor unsuspecting people’s) funds on stuff that loses value so quickly. Me I would just like to understand why.

26. Sandy

June 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Lmao! upside down nike sing.. Cant deal.. lololol

27. honeyboo

June 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm

hahahahhhahahhahahh, lasgidi girld on point.if them like make them go sell there papa land for village jst to meet up.its well o.

28. ME

June 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm

LMAO @ ‘If the air conditioning in your boyfriend’s car is faulty….dump him.’

29. say

June 11, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Patricia stole my post ooo….kidding! Actually thought about these same things while at a training last month. Upon everything, the guys prefer you looking naturally beautiful…trust me!

• m

June 11, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Natural hair baby! I will not date a girl with fake hair and fake everything. It says a lot about who you are when you can take time to look good in a natural way.

30. Nora

June 11, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Looool

31. nugsea

June 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Vanity upon vanity….fashionista or not…all will end one day.

32. Truth Diva

June 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Eyebrows like Nike Logo…lol….am loving all d comments…..Bella right time to create a like button

33. Janey

June 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

And wear leggings with a top that don’t go past your waistline.If its longer,tuck it in.
    Still don’t get how they manage to feel at ease dressed that way.

34. Esslims

June 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm

lolllll

35. Mee

June 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Most of these wannabe chicks r so classless. They ve no pedigree or any thing to their name asides long braz hair , borrowed fines, gold jewelry and of course the fake accent….. Nothing to their name . It’s sad

36. Barbara Irianan

June 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

lmao genuis

37. denise

June 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Men contribute to this menace, demanding that their babes look like video vixens. As a woman, have values that define you then all these intangible things won’t mean anything to you.

38. ty

June 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

looool @ nike eyebrows…lagos girls o! remember when it was twitter ,now every1 is buying a samsung or ipad or iphone just to be on instagram…i give it 6 more months… lets see what is next…

39. MrsHarveySpecter

June 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm

LMHO! The phones and Instagram part just killed me!

• lizzie

June 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

You don marry Harvey already? sharp gal 🙂

• Autoprincess

June 11, 2013 at 3:25 pm

MrsHarveySpecter, I like that but unfortunately Harvey is the love em leave em type, so sorry o!

40. ally

June 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm

i culdnt laugh my head out enough, wat a crazy compilation but it eases my afternoon
    stress

41. Anti Lagos Fashionista

June 11, 2013 at 1:32 pm

if all of you are condemning the lagos fashionistas, then please who or where are they???? Abeg, abeg abeg, lemme hear word, and NO, the guys don’t prefer the natural beauty, they want to see the figure clinging dress, the fair girls with the long weaves. I watch them lust over trash, so no need forming all holier than thou here. Silly Ratchet girls with fish brain.

• Jia

June 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Natural beauty doesn’t mean you should look like orishabunmi or a Jehovah Witness member. You can wear figure hugging dresses, lipsticks, weaves, relax/dye your hair etc. It’s all about keeping things to a minimum and not looking like a circus clown. Genevieve/ Oluchi are two of the few Nigerian women that I consider natural beauties. They employ the less is more theory to their style.
      Kim Kardashian, the woman you all emulate, is not a natural beauty. Not with all the work she has done to her body and overdone fashion sense.

42. Bella

June 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm

LWKMD. hahahahaahaha! Lagos babes, heeey! Though i have to agree with just one point “If the air conditioning in your boyfriend’s car is faulty….dump him” and get your own car period! LOL

43. Chris

June 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I resonate with this article big time. The States is easy, t-shirt and jeans and you can hit the mall, grocery store, movies and not feel under-dressed. The same cannot be said of Lagos, where a visit to freaking mall seems to require the ladies to be decked out in the latest fashion. I don’t get it. I just overlook it and do me. Trying to keep up with the Lagos fashionistas is too much bother and not worth it.

44. Kemi

June 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

This is a very funny beautifully written post…thumbs up!!
    love the upside down Nike eyebrow part…lol

45. Dera

June 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Na wo oh………….just speechless

46. CFA

June 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm

LMAO…this is the best!

47. Omoba

June 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I refuse to fall for that nonsense bleaching hype
    I shall be the last “black” girl standing
    Team ebony for lyfe..whatever happened to african queen?

48. impervious

June 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This gave me a nice little giggle at the office. Yes it is true that SOME girls in lagos like to look extra extra all the time. However, there are lot of girls who will be rocking some die hard uber expensive flats ( a la myself) and will happily go to a mall in flip flops, fro, jeans and a t – shirt. Just be yourself …. no one cares 🙂

49. jcsgrl

June 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Sgihs…unfortunately most men in Lagos prefer these girls. The more you like that, the more they come after you. Let us talk truth…how many correct guys have approached you when you’re not in any of the above mentioned? Its soo sad. Now if you’ve got virtue added to it, then the good ones among them will stick around. The bad ones will just hit it and move on the next fashionista. What can the righteous do? You use the above mentioned to reel them and use your virtue to keep the Good or Worthy one

• Jia

June 11, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I don’t think that’s what they “prefer”. That is what the males are used to seeing. If most females decide to tone down the madness the men will still pursue them.. People just go with what is socially acceptable. I have heard a few men say they dislike all the weaves etc while most of them don’t really care or have an opinion.

50. Naveah

June 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm

THIS WAS HELLA FUNNY!!! And to think that most of them are fooling themselves thinking they are not quasi prostitutes simply because they are not hustling on street corners. New York is one of the fashion capitals in the world and people still keep it real by dressing according to where they are going. Even when I have been to some HIGH END malls in the US, people are still dress down, as a matter of fact the richest people are the one wear crop pants, tee shirts, flip flops and with their hair in a ponytail.

Lagosians get on my nerves for all of the above stated reason and when I go there, I REFUSE to get drawn into that nonsense.

It takes more confidence to dance to the beat of your own drum than to conform to be part of a herd. I do me all day.

As for me, I have natural hair and it shall remain so until the end of my time on earth. I only wear make up if I am going to an occasion which is why I have flawless skin. I will wear my ballet flats to make quick runs and heels only if I am going somewhere of note which has saved my feet, ankles and back. I don’t have an iPhone or an iPad. I do have a BB and will keep the only one I have until it flatlines. I only wear brands I can afford and not put myself in debt trying to compete with people which is why I own my own home. Over accessorizing is the first indication that a person has NO distinct sense of their own personal style. Coco Chanel said before you leave the house take one thing off and most of these girls could use that advice. Drawn thick eye brows actually makes the wearer look older than they are and who needs a 5 year add on? My mani/pedi are a must but no wild colors, those who wear wild colors obviously don’t have a boss to report to from monday to friday for a pay check.

• Person pikin

June 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I soo totally disagree with your last sentence!!! i was giving you lizard nods till got there. Anyways na your opinion ni.

• Msbrown

June 11, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I concur

51. m

June 11, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I am planning on relocating to Lagos pretty soon from the states. But I know I will not be dating girls described here. I like my girl simple, and to look as natural as possible. Simple and classy is attractive and always will be. I love the simple things of life.

52. bussie

June 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Patricia! You forgot an integral part of the look @smoky eyes + that flawless skin; woman too will just be staring @ ’em..lol

53. Poshlady

June 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Senseless article

54. Topsy

June 11, 2013 at 4:00 pm

D write up makes plenrie of sense jare…..pple av turned dmslves 2 sex slaves jis 2 av all d big fins of dis world…as for me kip evry simply nd classy @ d same tym…no need2 b conspicious nd fake…Shikena

55. Dasiko

June 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Fashionistas are not supposed to be dark in complexion???????
    Really!!!>>>LMAO…..Sorry Guys!

56. Ibinabo

June 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm

i needed this laugh… just right on tym

57. ms lala

June 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

people do chemical peel in Lagos………krrrrrrrraaaaaay…..sky I can them all ducking and hiding from sun like they are playing jump ropes….

58. lily

June 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

wow!!!! am draining with laughter,nice post great comment by people.

59. ao

June 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm

In my experience, most men prefer women that are not overdone, but at the same time, they still want women to make an effort.

60. Yetunde

June 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Instagram has made it worse…i just got on it and i tell you everyone is a fashionista…its so ridiculous..My opinion, if you can afford these things…nuting wrong spoiling oneself a lil not for what people will say or think…but because u want good stuff. Nice write up

• Yetunde

June 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm

You also forgot the new trend of heavy beads on trad…this days guests even look like the bride gan at weddings

61. Ayo

June 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

We must remember a lot goes into becoming confident and true to one’s self. Education, level of exposure, upbringing and some trial and error. Most women are insecure. Some of us work on ourselves and get better and confident. Others chase things they think would impress others.

Also there is that big difference between what the rich do and what the poor think the rich do.

62. linda

June 11, 2013 at 5:52 pm

lasgidi girls rockxxxxx, so if we dont abide by these rules its #poorboyfriends loving every tips here, lol

63. The Real Madam the Madam

June 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Naveah must always come and be tensioning people. We are happy for you and your achievements but your self-righteous epistle wasn’t necessary in this light-hearted post.

• Naveah

June 11, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Always? Really? So you have been following me around and keeping account of all my posting to come to this conclusion that I “ALWAYS come and be tensioning people?” At least, I happy sey you dey happy for me and my achievements (which I didn’t know that having natural hair, wearing ballet, having one BB, no iPad or iPhone were accomplishments but let you tell it, it is). As for self righteousness, wetin I fit tok except to say, it takes one to know one heee heee hahahahaha. Real Madam caught herself trying to keep it real with lil ol’Naveah. Okay o issssssssawwrright.

64. Lin

June 11, 2013 at 5:58 pm

LOL….so funny!!!
    Thank God for yankee oh! Knowing the kind of person I am (natural hair, going make up free except when there is need to it, flats oh flats those are the best 🙂 ) I cannot live in Lagos. No I can’t because of these craziness. ladies in lag feel the need to belong when they do not have “shishi”. Oh the writer forgot about PERFUME OVERLOAD…smh

• Naveah

June 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm

My dear becareful o as you dey list all the things that you are that are OPPOSITE of Patricia’s list or else The Real Madam will say you are “always coming and tensioning people” o LMAO. I concur with you though, Lin.

65. Seyi

June 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm

LOOL!

66. Aidish

June 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm

It is not only the Lagos babes who are guilty oh!
    Freetown babes are true fashionistas!!!

• Wale

June 11, 2013 at 11:41 pm

How can you mention another African country when Naijas are speaking. Don’t you know your elders? A bah!

• hot mama

June 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm

rotflmao…@ Wale oniyeye ni e ooo…is that how u welcome visitors ni…lollll

67. Aryah

June 11, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I thot I was the only one who noticed it o.

68. CONFUSED PEOPLE EVERYWHERE

June 11, 2013 at 6:45 pm

you mean people are complaining about weave??? huh?? i thought it was just hair na!! abi?? or have i been reading wrong on the natural hair posts?? SMH

69. hmm

June 11, 2013 at 7:07 pm

the comments are funnier than the article…lool…i love my Nigerians o

70. fynegal

June 11, 2013 at 7:23 pm

must u bleach to become a fashionista

71. taiwo

June 11, 2013 at 7:34 pm

lol!

72. Heeeehhhhe

June 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Lmfao.ahhh dis is hella funny ! Odikwa the best have seen on Bella Naija,…. Haahhhhhaaaahhh…. Time to look for another quck job before 9ja in 3 weeks…. Lol

73. Rubynnia

June 11, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Lasgidi people and effizy! I was born, breed and buttered in Lagos but the city lifestyle isn’t my thing. I’m someone you can regard as living in Lagos but Lagos isn’t in her.

74. Joey Akan

June 11, 2013 at 9:25 pm

lol…u forgot to mention the perfume overload which sets one thinking about nose masks, the fake Brimericana accent that never adds any originality to the user. I just moved to lagos for a new job, and all over, it’s one huge arms race. The weapons here being clothes of mass destruction.

75. The Real Madam the Madam

June 11, 2013 at 9:27 pm

@Naveah please hush it and quit mentioning my name up and down with your petty self. Where did you see me address Lin? Take your time oh.
    And no ma’am, I don’t follow you up and down, but hey I read these comment boxes religiously and it’s impossible to miss you and your usual yarns. Like I said, we are happy for you, but it wasn’t necessary. Now biko keep it moving. Thanks.

• Naveah

June 12, 2013 at 2:59 pm

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAHHHH DON’T DISH OUT IF YOU CAN’T TAKE IT. TAKE SEVERAL SEATS FAKE MADAM!

76. Passerby

June 12, 2013 at 3:28 am

Vanity upon Vanity and all is equal to Vanity…..how about being a Prayer warrior? I mean a good christian. hmmm Glory be to God for his mercies..

77. nene

June 12, 2013 at 4:11 am

the definition of a lagos babe: bleached skin, long weaves, nike eyebrows, tight/short clothes, colored contact lenses and the OGA AT THE TOP *drumroll*:the fake annoying accents!

78. Miss Mo

June 12, 2013 at 4:45 am

Muahahahahahahaahahahha. I love this super sarcastic piece. Kudos to Patricia. Had me rotflmaooo….lol

79. L.A Chick

June 12, 2013 at 5:15 am

Funny as hell! With my nappy hair I guess I would be an alien in Lagos! Honestly, I used to wear weaves and I don’t have anything against whoever wear them, to each its own. But the day I made my BC was one of the best in my life… FREEDOM! There is nothing like driving with the windows down and feeling the wind on your scalp. During my weave days, there’s no way I could have experience this. That’s my definition of freedom, wind on your scalp and the opportunity to wash your hair whenever you take a shower 🙂

80. L.A Chick

June 12, 2013 at 5:17 am

Funny as hell! With my nappy hair I guess I would be an alien in Lagos! Honestly, I used to wear weaves and I don’t have anything against whoever wear them, to each its own. But the day I made my BC was one of the best in my life… FREEDOM! There is nothing like driving with the windows down and feeling the wind on your scalp. During my weave days, there’s no way I could have experienced this. That’s my definition of freedom, wind on your scalp and the opportunity to wash your hair whenever you take a shower 🙂 Lagos girls, the day the Brazilian, Malaysians, and Indians will come for their hair, everything go scatta!

81. honeyboo

June 12, 2013 at 9:30 am

i totally agree Lagos babe,i have this friend that is unemployed at d moment buh meehn she buys the latest and expensive things me dat am working think twice about buying sef.call me tight fisted but after working 4 twenty days,mentally n physically you dont spend anyhow….most of dem have lil or nothing in their account,wat happened to saving for the rainy day,dont get me wrong o,am wat people can say is a fashionista cos i love good things but spend wit sense.was in a dress shop with 1 of my friend in lag and i bought 1 jacket that was so expensive i had to return all other things i had pickd lol.wen i was in uk sef if i see a nice dress in a charity shop say what i buy it,abeg primark all day way…..

82. shenugs

June 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

Patricia this is a well written piece but i don’t totally agree with everything. I’m very shocked to see that everyone finds this article to be true. I agree that everything should be done in moderation so you don’t look like a drag queen but c’mon there’s nothing wrong with wanting to carry an expensive bag or wear an expensive pair of shoes if you can afford it. You can decide to wear your an 18 inch weave if you like long hair and besides 18 inches isn’t too long. And even if it is do what you think you look good in. We are always so quick to condemn people who do some of the things patricia has written while we secretly wish we could afford those same things. There’s nothing so special about you carrying your natural hair. That’s what you like. Doesn’t make you better than someone who wears long weaves. We see pictures of celebrities here with high end designer stuff and lovely weaves and we appreciate them cos they look good. I say if you can afford to get stuff that make you look and feel pretty then by all means do. Oh so woe betide me if i would rather wear heels than flats? Na wa o. Life is too short to deny yourself of stuff that make you look good cos u are worried people are going to call u a ‘Lagos Fashionista’. Do what makes you happy biko.

83. princess

June 12, 2013 at 10:25 am

For couture and statement fashion accessories like please visit http://www.uberchicville.blogspot.com

84. fauxbrazilian(yepyepyep)

June 12, 2013 at 10:35 am

It seems bellanaija readers must be the most “natural” babes in the whole nation. Everyone is here forming natural/low maintenance beauty. But if you’re so confident in your decision to be low key, why do I sense so much snark/vitriol in the comments hmmm…..? And by the way, nigerian babes going natural need to go on youtube and watch tutorials on how to make your natural hair look good, from a TWA to whatever length. Most of y’all look a hot mess. Not everyone can get the perfectly coiffed look right without looking overdone/like a clown, and not every natural haired/low maintenance babe can get that look right either without looking like a SLOB. So yeah.

• *true dat*

June 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Sadly, these same people will be on another post about weaves and what nots and be commenting about how they have loads of weaves. Mschew! sometimes I dont understand these people at all. i call it ‘herd mentality’ posting comments based on what you think is popular. Abi no be the same people go they form ‘I know the difference between a real Birkin bag and a fake one because I have 12?’

85. Nushu

June 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

You just described an Aristo chick, not a fashionista. I think it’s a universal principle for Fashionistas (even in Lagos) that LESS is more

86. makeupbyebi

June 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

lol now my ribs hurt ! lasgidi fashionista! ko easy rara oh! now seriously fashion is not same as style… as our faces are different so our sense of style should be! well fashion lovers out there knock yourselves out with what ever works for you!

87. Jessica Williams

June 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hi All, let me tell you something. Women do all these to please other women. They say Lagos big girl, what exactly is a Lagos big girl? Men don’t care about if we wear Malaysian, Brazilian etc, they don’t notice or cannot tell the difference as long as your hair looks good that’s what matters. don’t want simplicity. I feel so sorry for women who spend so much money for the sake pf fashion. I am a Fashionista myself and only purchase stuff to please myself and not to follow fashion. I disagree with your post. Stop following trends. Stop following society. You would get broke doing that Live your life and focus on yourself.

• Nice Anon

June 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I disagree with the bit about men not even noticing that you have an expensive weave on as long as it looks good. A lot of Nigerian guys are into that look. You know the whole weave, bodycon, color blocking, “to match” etc. Finding a Nigerian man who isn’t into that is quite rare. Individuality is extremely important jare.

88. Jessica Williams

June 12, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Hi All, let me tell you something. Women do all these to please other women. They say Lagos big girl, what exactly is a Lagos big girl? Men don’t care about if we wear Malaysian, Brazilian etc, they don’t notice or cannot tell the difference as long as your hair looks good that’s what matters. They want simplicity. I feel so sorry for women who spend so much money for the sake of fashion. I am a Fashionista myself and only purchase stuff to please myself and not to follow fashion. I disagree with your post. Stop following trends. Stop following society. You would get broke doing that. Live your life and focus on yourself.

89. CHIOMA

June 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm

This is so true. I’m a south african ,I have a nigerian friend here ,she told me if I go to laos I will feel small hahaha Fashion game there is on steriodz, love this post!

90. creamy

June 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

upside down “nike” brows + bleached shin + brazillian hair touching the bum + galaxy tab/ipad/playbook + red pout+ fake accent + claws + sky high heels = lagos babe @ the mall.
    please corect me if my equation is wrong 😀

91. cynthia

June 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Life is too short to be concerned about people’s style… if all these girls feel that they want to dress the way they dress, then no-one has the right to tell them not. it might look bad to you, but it might boost their self esteem… and the funny thing is that they’lld eventually get tired of it so everyone should just chill and have fun with your life. if you can afford an expensive hand bag good for you.. if you can’t … cool

92. Jox

June 14, 2013 at 8:24 pm

This article is so sad but so true. Do you know how hard it is to find a hair stylist for a wedding who doesnt know how to do hair that does not have a weave in it???? I found out the hard way when I went home for my sister’s wedding. Ain’t no body got time for that!!!

93. JustPorsh

June 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Lmao!
    Sooo true!
    I refuse to be intimidated!

justporsh.blogspot.com

94. Wendy

June 15, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Lolzzzzz…….lasgidi…..

95. Lee

June 18, 2013 at 10:54 am

I am practically falling off my chair… laffing wiv my ass shaking real hard….

96. Aduke

June 21, 2013 at 6:34 am

Choi! See correct sarcasm!! LOL….The truth tho!

97. Nollywood REinvented

June 23, 2013 at 8:03 pm

lol @ upside down Nike sign. A bit reminiscent of the ‘how to become a naija runz girl’ videos on youtube isn’t it?