News

The Beauty of Clean Beauty! Check Out the 6 Steps to Achieving this Look

Barbara1923

One of the most under-estimated looks of all time is the Clean Beauty look (also referred to as the No-makeup makeup look).
I have encountered people who assume that when your makeup is nice and clean and almost natural it automatically means that your makeup techniques are whack. This is a classic look and I am more often than not seen with just clean glowy skin, blush, mascara and lip balm.
What people fail to realize with this look is the fact that it is the most universal look of all.

It can be worn to run errands, go out for brunch with the girls, picnic, date night and even red carpet (if you have the nerve to dare the paparazzi tearing you apart for ‘not making an effort with your makeup though’).

During the dry season, this is a great go-to look as it would allow you to apply a combination of moisturizer and sunscreen.

I love to see some colour on skin but to me nothing compares to the classy elegance of beautiful skin and minimalist makeup. Don’t get me wrong; well-applied colour is a sight for sore eyes but sometimes it clashes with all the wonderful colours of nature around us.

That natural and radiant glow with makeup isn’t difficult to achieve. All you need are the right techniques and you are well on your way to being a bonafide ‘natural beauty’

1. Apply a generous layer of moisturizer + sunscreen. I love the Khuraira Balance Control lotion which has a matte finish for this. This is especially for those who have really oily skin. For combination skin, I use the Sleek Studio daytime creme with spf 30.
  2. Using foundation, BB cream, CC cream, tinted moisturizer (or whatever works for you), even out the skin. Cover visible blemishes with creamy concealer and a patting motion.
  3. Set foundation with a light sweep of loose powder using a large powder brush.
  4. With an angled fluffy brush, sweep contouring powder into the hollows of your cheeks and sides of the nose.
  5. Using the large powder brush apply the highlighter to the upper cheek bones, bridge of the nose and forehead.
  6. Finally, lightly dab a little clear gloss on your lips

Even beauty blogger Shirley B.Eniang loves the clean beauty look, see how she achieves it.

I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial and the post and let me know what you use to achieve your clean beauty look.

Photo & Video Credit: Youtube.com/Shirley Eniang |  Carlos Chela, Barbara & 1923, Sarah Ogunbor
Barbara Onianwah is an Advertising and makeup professional. She spends her days as a Client Service/Digital Marketing professional in one of Nigeria’s bigger Advertising Agencies and her nights as a Social Media & Beauty afficionado who straddles between using the internet to build her personal brand – Barbara & 1923 and helping various Clients build their online presence.

She is also a proficient beauty writer and writes for WOW magazine and styljunki.com. You can find her on her blog www.barbara1923.com | Twitter – @piriye | Instagram – barbara1923 |Pinterest – Barbara1923.

| The Restless One | Lover of GOD & Change | Content Creator |Barbara Onianwah spends her days working in Marketing Communications and her nights as a Social Media & Beauty aficionado who straddles between using the internet to build her personal brand – Barbara & 1923; and helping various Clients build their online presence.To find her, visit her blog - www.barbara1923.com OR follow her on Twitter – @piriye | Instagram – barbara1923 |Facebook & Youtube – Barbara & 1923.

1. Modella

November 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

I click on the post thinking it about achieving this clean
    skin glow! I love the skin tone…

• Tolu

November 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm

True….me too

2. Sassy

November 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love this look so much, I always wish I can pull it off
    but I’m totally clueless when it comes to make-up. I try so hard
    but it just doesn’t come out right! I can’t even shape (abi na
    carve?), line and fill my eyebrows! and believe me, I try, yes I
    try. #Phew#

November 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hello @Sassy, the trick is not to try too hard. For your brows, follow the natural curvature of your brows and remember that practise makes perfect. Follow the steps naturally and we would love to know how it works out

3. sandy

November 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm

i just hope it works….thanks all the same

November 18, 2013 at 2:13 pm

You are welcome Sandy. And trust me when I say those steps work

4. tybay

November 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Nice post! But I think those 6 steps are a bit too fussy
    for some like me who may not like to pile foundation et all on a
    daily basis…

5. tybay

November 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Nice post! But I think those 6 steps are a bit too fussy
    for some like me who may not like to pile foundation et all on a
    daily basis…

• laide

November 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm

‘some like you’, always complain when ‘that igbo chick’s makeup tutorial are uploaded, because it uses ‘over 12 products just for the eyes’. Now they have uploaded 6 steps for the whole face..una still go complain.

November 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hello @Tybay, that’s the point. You don’t have to pile them on, just apply where it is needed on your face and use the powder to blend everything together. That’s why I said to use what works for you even if it a CC cream. I also pray you forgive all those who make contouring look like it’s the hardest thing in the world, lol

6. MsK

November 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I have this friend. Tiwa. She always has this flawless look on… It’s beautiful. After seeing this post im going to ask her how she achieves this.. Clean clear makeup…

7. Iris

November 16, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I suppose a lot of people will find this a godsend if you want to look like your skin is naturally gorgeous, but when I saw the title I got excited, thinking the look was completely au naturel with maybe only some lip balm. So you’re telling me I have to still go through the trouble of applying foundation and concealer (which I find tedious) and contouring (which I will never understand how to do) and then for all my trouble still look like I am wearing NO makeup?!

November 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hello @Iris, like I said in reply to Tybay, the trick is not to pile them on, but to apply to just where it is needed using the powder to blend everything together. That’s why I said to use what works for you even if it a CC cream. And again, I pray you forgive all those who make contouring look like it’s the hardest thing in the world, lol

8. Omotè

November 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm

@ Sassy…..lol! Dnt feel bad jor no be only u!

9. Meet9jasinglesHERE

November 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm

nice post. i will practice ur tips

November 16, 2013 at 9:32 pm

10. rootwoo.com

November 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm

does it work? well thanks girl

November 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

You are very welcome and yes it does work

11. Lily

November 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I hope i get it well done dis tym.

12. Rachael

November 17, 2013 at 2:28 am

Pls can I get an example of a good and affordable moisturizer and sunscreen product to use,also wot are BB or CC creams

November 17, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hello @Rachael, for a mix of moisturiser and sunscreen, I have 2 products I always recommend – one is a sunscreen that moisturises (SmartShield) and the other is a slightly tinted moisturizer with sunscreen in it (Sleek Studion Daytime Protection cream).

BB (Beauty Balm) & CC (Color Control) creams are just improvements on tinted moisturiser. They are however packed full with different necessary ingredients and also perform so many functions in one. A good BB or CC cream can act as a moisturiser, sunscreen, primer, foundation, concealer, skin treatment etc.

13. Dee

November 17, 2013 at 3:42 am

Absolutely gorgeous & very natural looking,unlike
    those drag queen kind of make up you see everywhere. Love it
    & I’m going to be trying it out. Thanks!

November 17, 2013 at 2:02 pm

You are very welcome Dee.

14. Ebony

November 17, 2013 at 4:37 am

It might help if u have a video of this makeup look. Some
    people dont understand minimal makeup lol

November 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hello @Ebony, there is actually a video to accompany this post but we had a slight issue with video uploads at the back end which we are sorting out now.

15. roundpeginasquarehole

November 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Yeah this works. This is me everyday unless I am going to a party/event then I put on the full war paint. I use just foundation and maybe powder to set it, mascara and lipgloss. I skip the contouring and highlighting bit cos I have prominent cheekbones which I don’t think needs contouring. I have had a couple of guys say to me “it’s refreshing to see a girl going about without makeup”. I was tempted to just smile and say thank you but in the end I confessed. Some guys are clueless sha lol

November 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Lol, yes o. Everyone sees it as ‘how Barbara looks’ with no clue how much time it took to achieve it

16. chi

November 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Pls can one get this khuriria balance control cream in the open market because I need one for my oily skin.

November 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hello @Chi, all Khuraira products are currently available on Jumia.com

November 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Hello @mercll, I’d recommend applying a concealer on your face ‘only where it is needed’ and using a dual powder like the Tara dual powder or MAC msf & a buffing brush, blend out the concealer and even out the skin tone.

17. Rachael

November 17, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Tnx barbara

18. mercii

November 18, 2013 at 9:16 am

@barbara pls how can one get an even complexioned face, sometimes the foundation does not cover some dark patch on my face! and dont want to pile up foundation to cover up *sad face*

19. tequi

November 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

@barbara, i have a smooth face but with with dark patches at the sides of my eyes; please i want to get a flawless and CLEAR skin with or without make-up. what products can you recommend? i have issues with dark knuckles; please help.

November 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hello @tequi, dark patches near or around the eyes are quite common among pp of Asian and African origins (I have dark circles around my eyes). However, to be on the safe side it is good to get a checkup done as it is sometimes indicative of a health disorder. Regular use of eye cream helps to reduce the appearance of these dark patches. With makeup however, applying a creamy concealer the same shade as your skin in a patting motion with the ring finger will cover this up for you while you go around your daily activites. Don’t forget to set the concealer with powder.

For the dark knuckles, a natural remedy should be able to help with that. One of the easiest though is soaking your hands in a bowl of warm water
      mixed with glycerine, rose water and baking soda. You could also try rubbing your knuckles with lemon slices dipped in glycerine.

20. kehnie

November 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

Please what can i use to clear spot from my face,cos i have oily skin.

• Barbara

November 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hello @Kehnie, I always recommend getting facials done by a very knowledgeable beauty therapist. In some case, that’s all one needs to get flawless skin.

21. Twitter: @Snowall_Dempo

November 19, 2013 at 4:45 am

I found this very interesting, I love when a writer takes his or her time to give proper details of what they are passing out to the public. Nice work Barbara, I will follow you on twitter now. Thanks

November 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm

22. bee'z

November 25, 2013 at 8:28 am

Hi Barbara,
    In your response to Racheal, u mentioned Smartshield, is that another product as well, does it give a better finish than Khuraira Balance Control. Also is it available on jumia

23. Gooby

November 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Hi babara, i love ur article. pls can u recommend any eye
    cream for the dark circles around my eyes. Also pls recommend a BB
    or CC cream for my ‘combination’ skin. tnx

November 25, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Hello @Gooby, I use the Smashbox BB cream on myself and I also know that the Iman and AJ Crimson BB creams are gorgeous products too.
      For the dark circles, I currently use a Lancome eye cream but Clinique has an eye cream too and I know that Clinique products are available in Vicchy (I hope I got it right) at Ikeja mall.

24. bee'z

November 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Hi Barbara,

November 25, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hello @bee’z, Smartshield is a sunscreen that moisturises. If you have oily skin and use this, you will need to use another mattifying product on this. It is sold at Ebeano and some other big stores. Not yet on jumia.