Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Will the Real Math Whiz Please Stand Up?

Have you ever wondered if you are currently on the path you were destined to be on? Do you wonder if your natural inclinations were honed and groomed into the person you are today? This past weekend, I watched a 14 year old dive at the Commonwealth games in Glasgow and I was truly blown away. I said to my friend that I’m sure he’s been practicing since he was 5 years old.

Last year, I wrote a piece about aspirations and career paths {Click here if you missed it} While we were talking about the young diver, I wondered if he was home schooled or if he went to actual school. I wondered what his chances would have been if he was a Nigerian, born and raised in Nigeria. I wondered how many opportunities are available to a young person growing up in Nigeria.

The Nigerian child is not typically blessed with a myriad of options. There’s a set syllabus of subjects taught in secondary school and in order to proceed from one class to the other, you have to excel in those subjects. Very little attention is paid to the natural inclination of the student; so, it is immaterial that you preferred to tinker about with tools, or you had very little aptitude for figures, there were things you had to pass! In my secondary school, if you passed your JSCE with 10As and more, you were automatically sent to A or B class. The others were sent to C & D. Somehow or the other, it was the bottom of the pack that was sent to E class. A & B classes were for sciences, C & D for arts & commercials. E was for… well everybody else. One of my friends, had 12As, but always wanted to be a lawyer so she asked to be moved to the arts class. Due to logistical reasons, she was placed in E class. She stood out like a sore thumb in that class.
In A class, we had a set time table for Physics, Chemistry & Biology; then, you had to choose some electives (or whatever they’re called in secondary school). I wanted to study law so badly, but the fear of disappointing my Father and his “Your first degree must be in the sciences” decree, I was stuck. I couldn’t afford to flunk either. So I trudged on. Physics classes were great and I loved attending the practical sessions. Chemistry, on the other hand, was such a drag. It didn’t help that the teacher was not anything to write home about. He was very dirty and made ZERO effort to make the class remotely enjoyable. Rumour had it that he was always making Eba with the beaker and the bunsen burner.

Yoruba was such a drag; since my brother had told me it wasn’t as ‘compulsory’ as teachers made it seem I ditched it to create space for subjects like Commerce & Literature in English. I enjoyed the Economics classes because the teacher looked like one of the characters in the Super Mario game. The bants about him were epic.

As Nigerian children, our choices were either directed by our parents’ desire for us, or by our limited understanding of what the future entailed. It’s hardly ever about a child’s natural inclination. For instance, if you have a natural talent for musical instruments, one wonders if your skills would be better served if honed and tailored in that field. Things like Food & Nutrition are not available to students of core science classes, so if I was aspiring to be like Dooney & Chef Fregz, I didn’t have the chance.

Since we live in a world much smaller than before, I wonder if diversity and creativity should be more mainstream in the Nigerian academic field. If your child has a more natural propensity for playing football, would you encourage him in that direction? Especially since it comes under the tag of ‘playing’.

In my case, I always had a natural propensity for novels (and computer games). Reading was my thing – not reading facility agreements and wet lease agreements like I did for 4 years. No! Fun, imaginative and exciting books kept me on a permanent buzz. Literature-in English was my favourite subject in secondary school; and I was super comfortable with Maths. In fact, I liked Maths so much that I got into SS1 cranked up to do Further Maths. By 2nd term of SS2 I had to respect myself and remember that there was Maths and there was MATHS!

Have a fantastic week ahead. Please share some of your favourite subjects with us. Don’t forget to share your worst secondary school CLASS horrors!

Peace, love & Carrots (because Celery just tastes yucky!)

Toodles!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Robhainer

1. Ayaba

August 4, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Okay let the comments floooowwwww! hiihihi

2. memoi

August 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I had 12A’s in JSCE and like your friend I wanted to study Law. I was placed in E class (which was for Art students in my case) but my principal made me attend physics and chemistry class through out SS1, I even took the exam for those subjects. I cried to my mother and she put a stop to it. Funny thing is that it never stopped per se I had to study science subject for all school competitions. SMH. I am lawyer today, living my dream thank God.

3. teekay

August 4, 2014 at 2:35 pm

well said, my worst subject in school was mathematics and biology didn’t see the importance of it and i hated my teachers ], guess that why i was always an average student in those subjects

• Blessmyheart

August 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I loved Biology, even won a price for it, though I wasn’t a Science student. I liked Maths too.
      I was placed in Social Sciences based on my JSSCE result and that was the best thing that happened to me. I began to ‘shine’ from SS1 and I love what I’m doing right now.

• Blessmyheart

August 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

As much as I’ve always loved to read, I used to finish the Literature texts before the Literature students, I hate to write so Arts was definitely not for me. I loved Biology but hated Physics and Chemistry so Sciences was out too. I didn’t have issues with the languages. I had a good WAEC result, 4A1s, 1B2 and 4B3. Thankfully, I did enough in JAMB to enable me study my dream course. And I’m really thankful to God for where I am now.

4. Mmeyene

August 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm

when i was 5,my mom and I used to watch AMexpress on NTA then..i loved that programme because of Funmi Iyanda,I wanted to be like her so badly..then i have this uncle who loves to read,he subscribed for this BBC magazine,whenever i go to his place he’ll bring them out for me and i’ll read and read,go through those beautiful pictures and interviews of reporters/journalist touring round the world and doing what they love. I always told them at home that i’ld be a journalist/tv personnel…oh!how I miss travel news on chanels tv then,Barong did justice to it..I WAS INLOVE WITH JOURNALISM. I made an A in literature,commerce and accounting.My dad filled accounting in my jamb form,I was crazy like I cried.He didnt want a journalist daughter,claims they are broke,not professional and finally they don’t get married.Even as a 15yr old I knew he was generalising.I’m done with my B.sc and i’ve failed ICAN(pe2 stage-SFM) twice.I’m really tired right now dunno what to do anymore and I keep hearing one voice in my head say “be an air hostess”..could this be GOD??

• Tosin

August 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Definitely travel.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I’ve got my reservations about a job as an air hostess given recent news developments…. However, I do think you’re wasting precious time pursuing someone else’s dream…

5. Annie

August 4, 2014 at 2:48 pm

After my JSSCE i saw a counselor in school (that was the norm) and i was advised to major in sciences as i did pretty well and i said no, i want to be in the Art classes, she was baffled, why acts, Science would do you good and i told her i wanted to study Mass Communication and she wondered where that would take me and asked why, and i told her i wanted to be a broadcaster, i admired Cyril Maduekwe? on MTN news and late Tokunbo? i just wanted to be in the electronic media. Oh well, I did study Mass Comm. finally, but guess what, i only worked in a media house during my industrial training and my NYSC..that’ s all, right now i do Biz development….smh

• zoomzoomzoom

August 4, 2014 at 6:00 pm

That was Cyril Stober& Tokunbo Ajayi on NTA news.

• Annie

August 5, 2014 at 11:20 am

Thanks a bunch, old age setting in 🙂

6. Katriel

August 4, 2014 at 2:59 pm

i studies mostly arts but my dad wanted me to be an architect and i deliberately didn tpass technical drawing as i never wanted to be an architect. I wanted to be a lawyer working in the entertainment industry. started a levels with economics, theatre sudies and law & politics and my father said under no circumstace would i be a lawyer so had to change schools and do a level maths and gnvq advanced business. i guess our parents felt they were doing the right thing then but i believe so much talent is wasted and one thing i do pray for is the wisdom when i have kids to see their talents, hone into it and encourage them to be the best. i believe when you have a passion in sth then it doesnt feel like a chore and can maximise strength and achieve greatness, doesnt mean there wont be challenges but the passion drives one to be the best. Thanks Atoke for another brlliant article.

7. Jo!

August 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm

LOL. I loved Further Maths

• Mnena

August 4, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Kai, Further Maths was of the devil! I dropped it the first chance I got and never looked back.

8. AA

August 4, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Atoke, do you have a cam installed in this house cos i’ve been romancing my WASSC statement of results in the last 24hours and thinking how Maths and Further Maths were my fav subjects, i should mention i took time to brag to my flatmate how i had the best result in my class, 5A1s, 1A2, 1A3, and 1C4, “so why weren’t you a Science student?” she asks. “cos i’ve always been numbers-inclined hence Accounting”. I loved Typing, French. Fegocal rocks. *shameless plug*

9. Annie

August 4, 2014 at 3:27 pm

hehehhehehehe, good thing my parents allowed us to make our choices, i didn’t even ask my parents before i chose to be in the Art class @13, i didn’t consult them before i filled in Mass Communication first and second choice in my Jamb form. I hope to leave my kids to make their choices…i know better kinda so i will ask them why they want to be what they want to be….

10. Pynk

August 4, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I thought i wanted to be a doctor by ss1. I was pretty much an average student in secondary school. I always barely passed chemistry and did exceedingly well in math and physics. I got to america and still pursued the doctor thing till i realized i hated chemistry. I failed so badly i went from the deans list to being counseled by the dean. Lol. I managed to do exceedingly well in my math classes but also realized i disliked pure math and the whole theories thingy. By sophomore year, i realized i was meant to be an applied mathematician. Changed universities and declared my major as applied math and stats. Lets just say one of the most awesome decisions ever not to add that everyone thinks you are smart whether or not you are. I was able to do different things for a few years, accounting, costing, proposals (budgets), ratings, broad economic research etc. i have the attention span of a 5 year old, so it worked out fin for me. Ended up with a masters in finance, and while i understand finance, cbn regulations etc i only lasted 6 months in an investment bank position. After 11 years of working, My true calling is education so i m working on opening a nursery school and then grow from there..
    I am grateful for my father, who has always supported my eccentric ideas and thought processes. My education merely shaped and supported my thought process, its not the definition of me.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm

A nursery school! So nice!! I think that’s a wonderful plan and I have tremendous respect for educators, especially when they’re shaping young minds for the better.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

August 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Forgot to add, all the best, chica!!

• cos I say so

August 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Lolz @ attention span…

11. Mz Socially Awkward...

August 4, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Have you ever wondered if you are currently on the path you were destined to be on? Do you wonder if your natural inclinations were honed and groomed into the person you are today?”

I started reading from a very early age so there was already the awareness in my family that they’ll need to start saving money for my future wig & gown… All the same, there’ve been many points in my life where I’ve been firmly convinced I should have been a doctor or an engineer instead of a lawyer (never an accountant or statistician though… lawd! All those tables, numbers, calculations… my brain would have short circuited). In a weird way, I (still) love dismantling things and putting them back together (those 1000 piece picture puzzles used to be my ish, back in the day, mehn!!) and there’s a large part of my brain which gets ridiculously orgasmic about problem solving. However, my Achilles heel is my short attention span and overriding love of words, both of which meant that after forcing myself to study physics, further maths and chemistry in my SS1 year (against the better judgement of my very wise mother) and failing all woefully, I eventually got shepherded into Arts classes in my SS2 year. And once I got there, History, Economics, English Lit, Maths, English, Biology, Agric Sciences, Igbo & C.R.S, all became my new ‘O’ Level targets.

I think you still need to grow all secondary students in certain core subjects and then give them more options at the tertiary stage because no matter what they do, they’ll still need a fundamental grasp of those subjects. Dooney and Fregz have to run their business accounts (therefore Maths and Economics will aid them well) and communicate effectively with clients (where English Language and maybe Nigerian Languages become useful). To answer your question, I would encourage any child who wants to play ball (or the violin) for a living but also make sure that at the secondary school level, they become academically developed in any subject that they’ve shown a natural inclination for.

Speaking of which, an oyibo chick was telling me the other day of her cousin who’s gone to University to study drums for 4 years. Nothing else but drums: I thought that was pretty ballsy of him but then again, there’ll probably always be a global need for good percussionists, whereas the more generic job markets seem to be seriously oversaturated, nowadays.

P.S. Regarding this celery “matta”, blend a stick with a couple of slices of watermelon and a kiwi to make a very refreshing drink. Or with chunks of mango, a banana and some yoghurt to make a tangy smoothie. Or chop it into coleslaw and throw some chopped apples &walnuts in there as well. You’ll soon change your tune once you stop eating it raw. 🙂

• Annie

August 5, 2014 at 11:25 am

Law? hehehe, i remember back then when i met a professor of Law who was to help with my admission and he suggested i studied law and i told him a straight “No Sir’ he asked why and i told him i love reading (fiction) but cannot cope with reading all the plenty books law students are expected to read, i guess even at the young age i just didnt want go the way of failure just to please an adult..

• aleesha

August 7, 2014 at 1:00 pm

you hit the nail on the head, by saying all sec. school students need to be groomed in key areas, as they’re useful in the real world. i personally dont think our curriculum is bad, the delivery maybe, as the focus is on cramming and passing exams. we also need to lose the mentality that science students are smarter, while arts students are dumbos

12. Niyoola

August 4, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I wanted to be a doctor, then I met my biology teacher in SS2. Dude used to wank …… Yes, masturbate while teaching us anything on reproduction.
    The Horror.!!!!!’ Biology became my worst subject, I changed my ‘future ambition’ ASAP

• Owelle

August 19, 2014 at 8:52 am

Whaaaaat??!!!

13. boomie

August 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm

my best subject was literature in english and commerce. i was always tops and i think teachers had a hugeee influence on our subject perception. Mr Kura my literature teacher was fantastic as well as crazyyyy but i give it to him and i love commerce because of two motherly lovely women-mrs damla and mrs chukwendi… may God bless you all whereever yu are now… I really wish i understood maths,but men i hated it so much to the extent that my head bulbs never lit up at the entrance of my maths teacher….my father nearly killed me whenever he saw the big red in maths but no encouragement…just abuses!!!

• Annie

August 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm

hehehhehehe, that guy called maths? he did and is still doing a number on a lot of people, i got a pass in maths and when i found out i could use it to study Mass Comm, i was glad, then my uncle was the one that tried persuading me to sit for maths and economics again so i can switch to accounting, guess what, his kids didn’t study accounting! smh

14. notaplayerhater

August 4, 2014 at 4:43 pm

[email protected]! I never wanna be in ur biology class rotflmao. Pele. That must’ve been really hard, esp given that though I’m a business student/graduate/banker, biology is still one of my greater loves. I can’t deal!

15. 37clues styling

August 4, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I am a pharmacist most of the time. Abeg, it pays all the bills and luckily for me, I love what I do; so I’d say thanks mum, you made the right choice for me! I’m a fashion stylist too, and a writer. Atoke, Nigeria is that place where dreams can be crushed by common sense. Who’s gonna pay me what I earn as a pharm as a writer or fashion stylist, ehn? But I keep at being a stylist because one day, I would make enough money from what pays the bills to pursue what imy other passions

16. Mzlyrics

August 4, 2014 at 8:45 pm

First at 6-10 years old, I wanted to be a receptionist, next a newscaster and in my teens I decided to be a lawyer. I eventually studied law but boy I was miserable! I discovered I had such short attention span and all them Lord Denning ish always made me so pissed! Cramming isn’t my ish at all and anyone who would excel in law, at least in Nigerian universities, needed to be able to cram all them cases and things. Law school graduation was such an emotional day for me. My mom was sooo proud and happy but that morning I cried because I knew that wasn’t what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I felt so trapped. However, if you had asked me what else I would rather be, I would have given you a blank stare cos I didnt know what I wanted to do. I felt so ‘dumb’ for not knowing. I am currently studying for a masters in communication and eventually I hope to get into advertising or better still work in Media/TV production. I hope everything works out eventually because some days I still wonder if I am doing the right thing cos I am so scared to be wrong again!

17. Di

August 4, 2014 at 10:31 pm

First I wanted to be a writer, a movie producer and an actress in Primary 2-4, some of my teachers encouraged me in this phase because I was such a natural act and could spin an interesting short prose in a wink. Then in primary 5 through JSS 2 I wanted to be an astronaut, no one even bothered to answer me, everyone just gave me a worrisome smile hoping I pass the phase quickly lol. Then in my JS3 -SS1, my Math scores were 100 (no kidding) I was the Math whiz girl, limelight was on me as I made a record in that school, 100 or 99 on my report every term, my dad said I should be an accountant cause my science grades were plummeting. In SS2, don’t know how or why but my heart locked in on Engineering, my dad aggressively tried to discourage me but I took all my Board exam forms to school and filled out Electrical Engineering without anyone knowing. Well, today am an Electrical/Software Engineer and am loving it. I admire my courage as a teenager for sneaking those forms away to school and the strong-will for disobeying my dad and filling in what I wanted.

• Di

August 4, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Oh at some point while in Primary 3, I wanted to be a news anchor because I read so eloquently with an articulation to kill for but now as an adult am as shy as ever lol.

18. Cozygal

August 4, 2014 at 11:44 pm

My latest discovery about atoke has driven me to comment.
    Last week when you went on about the bees, I was thinking- The great USS
    then today, d dirty Chemistry teacher, the making eba, kai….. Atoke did u attend Unilorin Secondary School?
    lol. I’m sure u were my senior several years.
    to d topic. Best subject was Chemistry (ozone) and geography, worst was economics the man always sounded like a fluctuating battery- load one moment low the next, and he accumulated notes.

• Atoke

August 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

Hi, Yes I did. Odex was Chemistry teacher for A class. Ozone for B class. Oz was a good teacher. A class people were unlucky.

And thank you for reading.

XO
      A.

19. Uptohere

August 5, 2014 at 1:52 am

I loved biology and English in Secondary school, the other subjects were okay, i usually got C’s but English and Biology were always A’s and B’s which is weird huh..maths was average and physics was my Achilles heel., usually D’s until when my dad “forcefully” made me understand it. Finally entered Uni to study microbiology, which was just cramming and pouring, however after leaving school..i wandered the wilderness a bit until I found my real love which was advertising

20. DOO

August 5, 2014 at 9:28 am

Atoke, I noticed how you said, “in A class we had a …” thereby including yourself among the brainy people! My best subject was Government; I hope I’ll end up as the President of our dear nation, Nigeria

21. Lolly

August 5, 2014 at 9:36 am

Atoke, your description of classes sounds like FGGC Akure. My best subject was maths and i hated chemistry and physics..and yes i still stayed in the science class till i passed out. cos it was kinda programmed in my mind that i was going to study pharmacy in uni.

22. MO

August 6, 2014 at 7:06 am

Some of us had our paths mapped out for us, and would have done a whole lot better otherwise. While this worked for some, it didn’t for me. I was the type who by performances ended up in A class but grew to resent it, I could have, no, should have deflected when I got stuck but pride and fear of being booed wouldn’t let me. Looking back now, I realize I should have done just that. I ended up nicely as my university afforded me the opportunity to study a social science course regardless of my pure science background. These days I find myself wondering if I’d ever stop moving as my interests seem to be art-centered.
    All in all, I believe they meant well (our schools I mean), the younger must however be guided through the process and given the free rein to deflect when necessary.

23. ajay

August 6, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Funny everyone is an A, B or C student. It doesn’t matter if you failed or passed as long as you get to do what you love. I hated Maths I still do. Just couldn’t get myself to like it enough to study. I love Literature and History, My History Teacher was the best. He made the stories come alive you could almost be there. I love talking to people and finding solutions to challenges. Am doing something I love I couldn’t have wished for more.

24. oj

August 6, 2014 at 3:04 pm

as a child, (and an adult) i wanted to be every thing – a teacher, a secreatry, a banker, a doctor etc. it was until JS3 or SS3 i decided that i wanted to study Computer Engineering. In secondary school, i was good in maths, bad in further maths, ok in physics, not too good in chemistry, very good in agric, geography, economics and biology. in WAEC, i had distinctions in economics, geography, maths, physics and chemistry, and credits in agric, english and biology. I eventually studied Computer Engineering (which i honestly loved and did very well in although i wish we had more practicals) and today i’m a Support Engineer. While i like my job, something keeps teling me i’m wasting my time. I used to write stories in secondary school, my classmates felt i was talented but i stopped writing when i got into the university, i love reading novels and dreaming up stories. Wonder when i’ll finally know what i want

25. F8

August 8, 2014 at 2:19 am

I want to be everything. 🙂 engineer, doctor, nurse, customer service person, programmer, astronaut, rocket scientist…….. Just name it. Sigh. Beng in chemical engineering already, Msc network engineering and programmimg, but i want to be a fashion designer. #complicated life. NB: i chose all my course of study myself. Someone one told me i’m living in denial

26. j4judith

August 8, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I have always loved Biology n chemistry,even to this day. I wanted to be a doctor,cos everybody tot I was intelligent n my big sis tot I had the right amount of “emotionlessness”. long story short I am a Biochemist n my boyfriend thinks I would have made a perfect lawyer #smiles, u know, when I no gree make him win argument n that’s like always. Lolz. But always I wonder what I would have become under different circumstances

27. Diuto

August 11, 2014 at 2:56 am

As a kid I wanted 2b a musician & if I was encouraged I wud hav released my 1st album by 6yrs old. I was also very creative I made cards 4 evry1 for all occasions. In pry sch I was d maths guru. An incident in pry sch my teacher gave som1 a calculator & asked us to multiply som figures I always responded b4 dey cud finish pressing d calc. Yeah I was on fire!!! I had an elder Bro I looked up to. He chose to go to science class in SS1 so he cud study chem engr. I made a gud result in JS class so I cud go anywhere. I decided 2 go d science route wit further maths. Did I say maths was my fav subject. It stil is I jus luv me som figures. I also did literature(bad geography teacher), home economics(more fun than tech draw), economics. Infact most sci students did same subjects as I did cos of d same reasons. In my waec I got A’s in maths, economics, English, literature n home econs, den I got C’s in chemistry, physics & biology. Already filled & taken jamb for a science course. Tried retaking jamb 4 economics d nx year bt didn’t wrk out. Thru wit sch & am now a banker. Thinking of exploring nos in ACCA or who knws my creative side may jus pop up once again. Nid Gods guidance in deciding my path in life but I knw it wud b soon, very soon peeps. Long gist over 😉

28. anony 2

October 9, 2014 at 9:42 am

Wow… I took my time to read most of your comments.. All I can say is LIFE….smh.. Twisted shit.. My story is one of salvation, yes salvation… At a tender age, I developed the taste for the top.. It drives me…. I did so well in secondary sch.. But in Js3 one of my teacher’s pushed me toward sciences… Before dat I rilly loved accounting.. My dad was a banker, I usually read frank woods in JSS2…my dad always tot me… Ii went on to read statistics.. Coming for my love for figures.. It dint just give me dat business/accounting feel… I wasn’t happy with myself I refused to attend my convocation… I went for my nysc, I felt empty..coupled with the fact dat our nigerian universities don’t equip you for the world out there… The began advertising for NIM at orientation camp… I was intrested… I came home on break.. I got into a random conversation with my friend.. She is ICAN chartered and she told me I shud be chartered and how I cud start from the scratch.. Den she said I shud even try sometin more challenging… Den she mentioned ACCA… Wow! One year later, an ACCA chartered accountant-in-training… I av neva been so alive… I now know wat passion means… Ppl say ACCA is difficult.. And it is… But I just see my last floor office in newyork, at the heart of the city… God. Gave me a second chance.. He is the God of second chances, and third and fourth and fifth… Ppl say am getting too old to be chasing somtin dat takes time… I say, dreams may be delayed…its God’s way of moulding… Where I av been, av showed me where I never want to be… I thank Him for dis fire in me… I av not seen the future but I an thankful… I pray each and every1 of you find fulfilment in your lives… Good morning