Sweet Spot

Pope Francis Lists 10 Secrets to Happiness

Simple words but so inspiring.

During an interview with Argentine Weekly, Pope Francis through his personal experiences, came up with his own lifestyle guide for happiness. His number advice is to move forward and let others do the same.

It was translated by the Catholic News Service

Read;
1. “Live and let live.” Everyone should be guided by this principle, he said, which has a similar expression in Rome with the saying, “Move forward and let others do the same.”

2. “Be giving of yourself to others.” People need to be open and generous toward others, he said, because “if you withdraw into yourself, you run the risk of becoming egocentric. And stagnant water becomes putrid.”

3. “Proceed calmly” in life. The pope, who used to teach high school literature, used an image from an Argentine novel by Ricardo Guiraldes, in which the protagonist — gaucho Don Segundo Sombra — looks back on how he lived his life.

4. A healthy sense of leisure. The Pope said “consumerism has brought us anxiety”, and told parents to set aside time to play with their children and turn of the TV when they sit down to eat.

5. Sundays should be holidays. Workers should have Sundays off because “Sunday is for family,” he said.

6. Find innovative ways to create dignified jobs for young people. “We need to be creative with young people. If they have no opportunities they will get into drugs” and be more vulnerable to suicide, he said.

7. Respect and take care of nature. Environmental degradation “is one of the biggest challenges we have,” he said. “I think a question that we’re not asking ourselves is: ‘Isn’t humanity committing suicide with this indiscriminate and tyrannical use of nature?’”

8. Stop being negative. “Needing to talk badly about others indicates low self-esteem. That means, ‘I feel so low that instead of picking myself up I have to cut others down,’” the Pope said. “Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy.”

9. Don’t proselytise; respect others’ beliefs. “We can inspire others through witness so that one grows together in communicating. But the worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyses: ‘I am talking with you in order to persuade you,’ No. Each person dialogues, starting with his and her own identity. The church grows by attraction, not proselytising,” the Pope said.

10. Work for peace. “We are living in a time of many wars,” he said, and “the call for peace must be shouted. Peace sometimes gives the impression of being quiet, but it is never quiet, peace is always proactive” and dynamic.

1. cute handi

August 4, 2014 at 5:54 am

very true…#works for me..

2. bruno

August 4, 2014 at 7:11 am

King of all child molesters ‘the pope’ You forgot to add raping underage boys ,all this sugary publicity can not distract us from the child molestation in the catholic church, nice try.

3. bruno

August 4, 2014 at 7:33 am

And just because I am speaking out against child molestation, that does not mean I was molested when I was a child,just the same way some one comes out to speak for gay rights, that doesn’t mean the person is gay. I am a human being and I am standing up for what it right and just, the catholic church is toxic and very dangerous for little kids, both boys and girls, this catholic priests are sexual predators and should be stopped, stand up for what is right, don’t wait until ur child or little niece or nephew has been molested by a catholic priest.

• Yewande

August 4, 2014 at 11:58 am

Mr bruno please read #8 #9 #10! its for you. Thanks

• benita

August 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

what are you saying please do not say negative about catholic church if u do not know wat to say

• UG

August 4, 2014 at 12:44 pm

You should make an intelligent statement by not generalising because “in every case there is an exception”. There is no way all catholic priests are pedophiles so also there is no way all catholic priests are saints. It’s just like saying all whites are racist or all Nigerians are tribalistic.

• CurvesAndEdges

August 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm

What has anything you said got to do with anything the pope said?

• Chikalaka

August 5, 2014 at 11:31 pm

My Dear Bruno, you have come again! How was your day? I hope it was good. I pray for you for love peace and joy. I pray you become a vessel of peace and positivity and I pray God softens your heart to be able to logically and peaceful make your point. Amen.
      I have noticed every time there is a positive post about Pope Francis it seems to aggravate you, especially when the post has nothing to do with child molestation issues of the church. Therefore, I would like to bring your attention to this post on child molestation as I see you have failed to comment there: bellanaija.com/2014/07/07/pope-francis-apologizes-to-victims-of-sexual-abuse-by-priests/
      Also please let your voice be heard in the proper avenues as your point is valid and as you are so passionate about it should not be wasted. Please visit catholicexchange.com/category/channels/opinion where you can share your opinion and learn more about what is being done with regards to child molestation in the church. Peace.

4. Olori Tari

August 4, 2014 at 7:40 am

No 9 is everything and more. These people need to hear….. Now that it’s coming from the pope, maybe, just maybe these Aunties and Uncles and ‘awon’ my religion is better than yours, who are oh so invested in proselytising can rest small….

5. beautifulonyinye

August 4, 2014 at 7:43 am

Very true words.

6. Madikyzela

August 4, 2014 at 8:03 am

So true,inspiring this is such a blessing to my life.

7. Sisieko

August 4, 2014 at 8:21 am

So much respect for this man. True words.

8. Claire

August 4, 2014 at 9:07 am

Absolutely love this! Thank you dear pope Francis!

9. Bade

August 4, 2014 at 9:08 am

I”m sorry but this man is just too wise and a very good exaple. I am not catholic but he has my utmost respect

10. faith

August 4, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thanks pope. For this wonderful msg. I hope this will help many come out of their selfish ways of thinking and see the light.

11. Osasodia1

August 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

True talk Pope….very inspiring words that leads to true happiness if we actually follow….Thanks Pope.

12. Benson Ossai

August 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

Thanks Pope.I am blessed.

13. S.O.B.SHITTA~BEY

August 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

pope is a father,spritually&phisically,bible says tell them d truth he who has ear let them hear.GOD BLESS U SIR IN JESUS NAME.

14. Fre

August 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Printed!
    Perfect timing.
    God bless the Pope, God bless BN for sharing

15. efe

August 4, 2014 at 12:21 pm

# Well Spoken POPE.

16. Loulou

August 4, 2014 at 12:46 pm

God bless you Pope Francis, true and inspiring…

17. NaijaPikin

August 4, 2014 at 1:57 pm

It’s so easy to spot out folks who truly have good hearts. The pope is 1

18. TheresaO

August 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I respect the Pope for his humility and efforts to make peace. While I agree with many of the things on his list, I have to disagree with No. 9 – proselytizing. I think preaching to others about your faith is not in error. People should not prevented from sharing their views on religion/spirituality as long as it does not involve violence. Christianity was spread as a result of proselytizing. Infact the Great Commission of Christ is to preach the Good News of the Love of God to all peoples. For the Pope to condemn it is wrong. Yes the Pope is human and not infallible as some people think. I grew up in the Catholic Church but don’t believe the Pope is beyond mistakes. Only God is infallible.

Perhaps the Pope said this due to the threat of violence from some religions who fear that proselytizing will rob them of adherents and reduce their authority. The only people who fear proselytizing are those who want to be in control and dictate what others think and do. God wants us to serve Him in truth, not out of traditions or force. Proselytizing gives people the opportunity to know something different and then choose for themselves what is right. It makes the individual, instead of an organization, accountable for their lives since God will judge us individually on the Last Day.

• faith

August 4, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Please read number 9 again. Pope says it should be a dialogue. You can never convert anybody by degrading their religion and prompting urs. Try it and see if the person converts. You have to be ready to give acct, listein, and live by example.

• TheresaO

August 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Of course I believe we should dialogue respectfully and out of LOVE. The Gospel is Love and must be conveyed in love, not intimidation or with superiority. But to condemn preaching God’s love doesn’t sit right with me. I acknowledge though that many Christians do not necessarily do this, but we shouldn’t be asked to stop sharing God’s love. I agree with him though that our peaceful character and life should attract others, not just our words.

• UG

August 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm

@TheresaO if you want to convert someone to your religion, focus on your actions and way of life. Leading my example is what essentially the Pope is saying, that way people are seeing the benefits of what the religion is about and may follow you and not proselytising.

19. faith

August 4, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Theresa the pope is the last person on the face of this earth that would condemn preaching Gods love. Infact the moments he starts doing that, that would be the end of him. Since the beginning of his papacy he has done nothing but talk about Gods love through his words and especially his action. Perhaps you misunderstood him.