Features

Toyosi Phillips: Happiness is the Truth

Toyosi Phillips

On my flight back to New York recently, I Googled, “Is it OK to be this happy?” It goes without saying that I was stupidly happy at that moment and had been that way for a while. Funny thing is I couldn’t categorically say why. I didn’t know if it was seeing/spending time with my mom that had me in that good mood or if it was the credit alert I had just received or if it was the aftermath of spending time with my “big sister’s” adorable baby. I didn’t know what it was… I don’t know what it is because over a week later I’m still that happy. My heart is full.

The question now is, why did I have to google, “is it OK to be this happy?”? Did a part of me think that wasn’t normal? Or perhaps that I didn’t deserve that level of happiness? It made me wonder; how many people daily suppress their happiness because they think it’s not normal? How many people daily think they’ve done so much wrong and only deserve happiness in trickles or they think about everything that’s not going right in their lives and listen to The Voices- those ones that remind them that all their mates have good jobs and they are still looking for an internship . The voices which say they’re overweight and single; that level of happiness is only for people with husbands/wives and kids, or that their rent will be due in a few days and they still haven’t come up with the funds so that spark of happiness should be non-existent? How many people have listened to those lies and put out the fire of happiness blazing in them?

For anyone who has ever felt the need to ask the question, “is it OK to be this happy?” the answer is a resounding YES! Not just because several articles on Google agree, but because we all should be happy! Happiness keeps us optimistic. A conscious decision to stay happy helps us make essential life-altering changes. A conscious decision to stay happy renews our minds. We start seeing things differently.

It’s OK to feel like chuckling at the slightest thing, to feel a warmth in your heart that you cannot explain and to sing out loud and laugh at the ridiculous lyrics of songs. There’s nothing wrong with you. No, you’re not oblivious to the issues you have to deal with and no, you’re not living in lala land. You’re simply making a conscious decision not to be overwhelmed by life and that is commendable.

So today I choose to be happy and I choose to stay happy, regardless.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Spotmatik

Toyosi Phillips is a Lagos-based producer, presenter and writer. She produced and hosted “The Gist with Toyosi Phillips”, an entertainment show on SaharaTV New York for two seasons and co-hosted Sahara FM's weekly radio show from 2014 to 2015. She guest-writes for different publications including Bellanaija and Genevieve Magazine and is quick to mention to everyone that she saw Oprah at the 2016 Essence Festival in New Orleans. Her vlog turned talk show, "As Toyo Sees" will be airing on networks world wide soon. For more news and updates, - Subscribe to her YouTube channel (Toyosi Phillips) - Check out her website www.toyosiphillips.com - Follow and interact with her on Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn @toyosiphillips

1. beautifulonyinye

September 20, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’ve asked myself that question severally because most times,I’m insanely happy.Nothing really brings me down.I’ve learnt how to laugh @ myself.Even @ my lowest(like when I had to do 5th year in medical sch twice),I made lemonade out of the lemons handed to me.Knowing and trusting God I can say is the true source of this great joy.I don’t take myself too seriously .Life is truly short and should be savoured like a great dish.

• Monisola

September 20, 2014 at 2:53 pm

You really sound like a happy person, I am happy for you.

• ba

September 20, 2014 at 3:29 pm

you are blessed!

• tunmi

September 21, 2014 at 3:11 am

That is the best thing one can do. Accept the bad times for what they are, definitely find one or two things that could have preventer it for the next time, learn from it, and don’t take things too seriously.

My own is that we all have to die one day and life is too short not to smile or enjoy the small things in life.

2. always happy

September 20, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Paying homage to your article. Yes happiness is a choice ! ( a simple but effective and one with unbelievable benefits ).

3. ola olushola clem

September 20, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Happy is a result of how we feel and evidence of what we are.

4. @edDREAMZ

September 20, 2014 at 3:50 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Happiness is the Truth no doubt…. I like the post…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Dr. N

September 20, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Unapologetically happy

6. Alisha

September 20, 2014 at 5:35 pm

It is totally OK to be happy! Everyone needs to feel happiness its a beautiful feeling.

7. pearl

September 20, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Let’s all be happy and be an agent of happiness in sum1’s life. That when they think of what we do for them they smile.

8. demi

September 20, 2014 at 6:15 pm

#happy child #Happiness is truly the key to success.

9. nammy

September 20, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Cos am happy! It’s good to be happy oh, even if things r not goin as planned. I ask myself atimes y am this happy, but I just go with the flow nd enjoy the happiness yle it lasts

10. Beatrice

September 20, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Very true! Nice one Toyosi.

11. Chimaobi

September 20, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Very nice write up, Toyosi. I am happy that you are happy

12. faith

September 21, 2014 at 10:16 am

Am pregnant after three years of marriage n my shop is doing so well and av been aving so many makeup jobs n just recently got a big one….am so happy right now….there is always a reason to be happy joorrr….one can’t b happy wen there is no reason to b happy..

• oj

September 22, 2014 at 9:27 am

congratulations. wishing u safe delivery

13. K

September 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm

This is a fair article and addresses an interesting article. I do agree that there are very many times where we try to find a reason not to just enjoy the moment and I don’t know why. I don’t know if it’s an innate feeling that is to keep is from getting complacent but to keep striving to get better. I don’t know but we do overdo it. That’s why too many of us reflect in old age, feeling sorry for ourselves and wondering why we took life too seriously.

14. peace

September 22, 2014 at 9:31 am

It’s a good feeling to be happy… as humans our eyes are always on bigger things that we fail to notice lyttle things we should be happy for. Great piece Toyosi!

15. Phoebe

September 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Errm did you need to tell us ‘on your flight to New York’. I know you can use your phone on flight mode while in the air, not sure about using the internet.