Features

BN Health & Fitness: Crunch Hard! Learn the Right Posture for Your Crunches

Suzanne Body 4-2Want Abs? How do you do Crunches?
A lot of people do crunches by wrapping their fingers together, putting their knuckles behind their heads with their elbows as close as possible, and then forcing their necks up. This puts a lot of stress on the neck, and not enough focus on the abs.
To make sure the abs are working hard, place your fingers or palms behind your head, keep your elbows wide, look straight up, and try to lift your upper body from your core. Looking up and keeping your elbows wide helps to keep your neck in line and focus the energy on your abs. Lower back straight down slowly.

Watch the video below for a demonstration.

*Disclaimer: Crunches and sit-ups alone will not get you abs. It is only part of your strength training. To build those abs, you need a good diet, lots of cardio, and lots of strength training.

Suzanne Brume is a fitness blogger and yoga enthusiast who strives to live a healthier lifestyle and helps others do the same. She blogs consistently at Eights and Weights (www.eightsandweights.com), and gives tips and demonstrations on Twitter (@eightsnweights) and Instagram (@eightsnweights). She is always open for fitness questions!

1. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 18, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Dammit! I should have watched this BEFORE going to the gym. Now the ache in my back is the ever-present reminder that I’ve been crunching in the worst possible posture.

Also? Can somebody please explain the proper technique for seating your weight bar on the “meaty part of your shoulders” during a a body pump class?? I’ve asked the instructor and I still end up feeling like I’m growing a hump halfway through every class.

Maybe YouTube holds all my answers…

• Suzanne Brume

October 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Hi,
      Yes, Youtube will help. Here’s a little tip: hold it on the part of your shoulders that is away from your neck. It should feel better on your shoulders the farther away from your neck you go.
      Hope that helps.

2. Mohammad

October 18, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Na to watch YouTube for answer to that one. That’s what I use for my bum exercises. Watch out Nicki Minaj!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 18, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I don check am, e no dey. No wahala – I shall continue in the struggle.

3. donpepe

October 19, 2014 at 11:08 am

thanks for the piece. I have been getting it wrong all this while

4. Shakira

October 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Ah Suzanne, this is tough ooo. lol

5. Charles

October 21, 2014 at 11:27 am

I beg to differ.. the first clip is what you call crunches. other clips is wat u call situps. Depends on what you want.

• Suzanne Brume

October 22, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Hi Charles,
      The video is called “Crunches and Sit-Ups for Abs” so it does incorporate both. The point was not to differ between the two, but to talk about how people force their necks up rather than put more work into their abs. This is true for both crunches and sit-ups.
      Thanks.