Features

BN Reader Ojie is Offended by the Depiction of ‘A Nigerian Family’ on ABC’s Modern Family!

We love it when our BN fam share their views with us! BN reader Ojie Imoloame is a fan of ABC sitcom “Modern Family“, however, a recent episode which depicted a Nigerian family rubbed him the wrong way! Read Ojie’s views below.

****

I wish to state my utmost disappointment and frank disgust at the writers and producers of ABC’s hit show Modern Family.

Let me begin by stating that I really enjoy the show. Personally, I believe it is arguably one of the best comedy shows on TV right now. It is perfect mix of heartfelt storytelling, solid characters and incredible humour. The Television Academy highly concurs as they have awarded the show the Primetime Emmy for Best Comedy Series 5 years in a row!

However, on watching last week’s episode of ABC’s Modern Family, titled ‘Marco Polo’, I was appalled at the downright ignorant portrayal of a “Nigerian Family”.

Brief Synopsis:
The Dunphys are temporarily living in a hotel while their house is being treated for mould. Gloria suffers through Manny’s new relationship with an older, popular girl. Cameron is under a ton of pressure to maintain the football team’s perfect record when he comes to expect that Mitch is a possible jinx to the team.

As usual, ramming all the Dunphys into one motel room is a recipe for disaster: cluttered room, constant arguing and barking dogs. In fact, one moment of peace cannot be savoured because the slightest movement sets the Nigerian neighbour’s dog off (Poor Depiction Number 1. How many Nigerians are dog lovers? I allowed that pass)

Secondly, Phil meets some bachelors in the hotel lobby while tending to his boredom and misleads them to thinking that his wife had left with the kids. The he sees “Ayula” (Nigerian wife). This is where it gets offensive. She only says 3 words in an accent that is not even remotely Nigerian. It will not even pass for Ghanaian. (Poor Depiction Number 2)

Thirdly. Phil decided to spend time playing Marco Polo with the Nigerian family in the pool. This is where it gets downright insulting. The Nigerians were depicted as cave men that could barely speak nor understand a word of English. It was as if Phil was playing with a bunch of two years olds that constantly needed repeated explanations on how to throw a ball back and forth. To crown it up, the final scene had the “ Nigerian family” all smiles show up to Phil’s house in the middle of the night because they were apparently “asked to stop by” and the Nigerian dad turns back and says “ Marco”. (Poor Depiction Number 3)

I have no problem; none at all, with Nigerians included in any storyline in Hollywood, even if it is for comic relief.

However, it was the depiction of what a typical Nigerian family that sickened me. Firstly, the actors did not bother to educate themselves, writers and producers of what it is to be a Nigeria family. The accent alone was incredibly wrong. They sounded East African. Anyone, who understands acting on a deeper scale, must appreciate the fact that accents make or break characters. (I refer you to roles played by Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchet who are masters of accents). Secondly, the writers and producers were clearly too lazy to do any proper research. They just hired some black actor (African looking) and I suppose, to them, that’s all that counted.

In my humble opinion, if you intend on depicting a culture you are not familiar with, kindly do your research even if it is for comic relief. Nollywood movies are available on YouTube.

I do not need to tell anyone how powerful the American media is. A man in Nebraska, on seeing that episode already has an informed opinion about a typical “Nigerian family”.

This is why on my first day of University, on hearing me speak, a white lady asked me “how did you learn how to speak English?” I honestly did not know how to answer that question. It is like asking someone how he or she learnt how to stand or walk or eat. Over the years, it progressed to “ How many years have you been in England” or daft ones like “ So Ojie… do your parents speak Nigerian?” or some automatically assumed that I lived in England because I could speak proper English.

Randomly one day, I observed a particular recurring advert of starving kids plagued with mosquitoes and kwashiorkor in some African country. That advert ran over and over again. It was at that time I realized that the foreign media is the cause of the ignorance about what it is to be a Nigerian, let alone African.

I just simply wanted to share my disappointment and I really do hope that something can be done to stop this nonsense.

1. mama lilly

October 21, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hiss, no offense I had to stop reading after the 7th paragraph because its really offensive n irritating.

• abeeeeee

October 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm

OMG! i watched it last night. That was a major fail.

• chi-e-z

October 21, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I know they should have learnt from Monk.Monks depiction is so funny of the guy who came from Nigeria that same week that you don’t have time to be offensive. but ps. me and 3 of my friends did grow up in Nigerian homes with pets. Guess, we debunk the petless home thesis since we had pitbulls, cats, and parakett at some point in time while I grew up.

• Karonwi

October 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

IKR….I thought it was only me who taught it was insulting! mchewww

2. nwanyi na aga aga

October 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Then there is another scene where they made fun of Ebola! anyway i didnt bother to be angry. The show is wacked. Most times it doesnt make me laugh anymore, terribly predictable. na dem sabi

3. nene

October 21, 2014 at 1:51 pm

it’s american tv, what do you expect? they insult every race and culture. from russians to mexicans to nigerians and even people from the souther US states, so no one is exempt. i don’t take offence to it because the whole world knows how ignorant americans are.

• missy J

October 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Hmmmm they can’t try it with all these Arab countries or Israel

4. Author Unknown

October 21, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Modern Family is a comedy show, not a documentary. Unfortunately, the jokes on you now and it’s not so funny, LOL. Perhaps some Nigerian families fit the bill, even if yours doesn’t. And don’t worry about the man in Nebraska. His opinion was formed well before Modern Family, and probably has no idea where Nigeria is. Relax.

• mahogany

November 3, 2014 at 8:46 pm

U no get sense. Whether other cultures are depicted wrongly or not. Nigerian is our culture and we wud express our disgust. Just cause they do it to everyone. Doesn’t mean that we shud just hold hands and sit on our tails. Ur dumb. And no matter how many of ure friends have animal farm in ur house. MOST Nigerian familes do not have animals living in there house. Prolly outside in d yard. But unlike oyinbo or the white washed, we prefer humans (family) in our homes, and animals outside. Olny white washed and oyinbo people actually close there homes to extended family and house pets!! Taste your words before you let them out

5. kike

October 21, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I watched the video just this morning and I felt so offended and bitter, I was almost posting the clip on youtube so that people can see the wrongness in this….season 6 episode 4 on Modern family….the Lord will have mercy on them.

6. sibo

October 21, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Oh please! Get out of your feelings!!! It is just a show for entertainment. I tell you, some of yall are so sensitive about everything geez!

• mimi

October 22, 2014 at 5:53 am

Its the likes of u that let those fools downgrade us!

7. http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

October 21, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Nigerians have been depicted as some many things in various American series, from SVU: Law and Order to Supernatural, but you are completely spot on with this. I haven’t watched this episode, but with your description, i get your grievance. But i hope you don’t end here. Here is their advertising email [email protected], it was all i could find online, but i know BN has close ties with the likes of Aisha Sassay and Lola Ogunaike, so you can reach out to them and get personal email addresses of producers and top executives of ABC and send this as a mail to them. Also i would suggest we twit this on their handle (@ABCNetwork) and all other social media platforms, cause as soon as i post this comment i will be doing it. The next level will be send a letter to them through the Nigerian embassy in the states.

8. Xala

October 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm

F0r you all saying she is being too sensitive,,,wait until you are at the receiving end of the warped media picture of Nigeria. Would you imagine a colleague telling me I must be the exception in Nigeria, why? I speak proper English; told him we have internet in my house and I have proper manners? Sometimes, I can’t deal with the ignorance of Americans!

• Thatgidigirl

October 21, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I have been on the receiving end and still maintain that she’s being too sensitive. I’ve had lots of white folks ask me really silly questions here in UK as a result of what they have been fed by the media. However, I think she is judging based on the elite nigerian families she knows, as there are lots of Nigerians living in english speaking countries that do not speak english well. The lady that lays my weaves is nigerian, has lived in UK for over five years and cannot speak two sentences in english without mixing her tenses or adding yoruba here and there. Try talking to a semi literate person that relocated from Nigeria to Lewisham or woolwich in London where you can stay 2 years without having any contact with a single white person. The entire latino community in USA are usually portrayed as low income earners doing all the odd jobs, drug pedlars and semi literate with a thick accent that never goes away (sophia vergara) but you don’t hear them crying foul. Take a chill pill abeg, its a comedy and yes Nigeria is a third world country that does not take education seriously.

• Tiny tilly

October 21, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Madam posh who claims to know Lewisham and Woolich where according to you ‘where you can stay 2 years without having any contact with a single white person’
      is that the same Woolich that the British military guy was butchered by a Nigerian boy? The Lewisham I happened to have visited people and have seen both blacks and whites? Oh pleeeeeease come off it. smh

• kola

October 21, 2014 at 8:36 pm

because u haven’t heard latinos complain about the negative depictions don’t mean they don’t. they complain all day everyday and they never give the caucasians room to breathe. abeg, every human has the rights to b offended by an offensive portrayal and vice versa. i mean thats y its offensive right?

• just chilling

October 22, 2014 at 6:33 am

What are you talking about? I have been to Lewisham and there are blacks, white, Indians and Chineses people. Yes this areas have a large population of Nigerian. Your comment sound so ignorant.

• princess

October 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Same thing I hear everyday

9. Dario Hreidarsson

October 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Of course to the dunces who post here, it’s all “just a bit of fun” and “harmless comedy”. You – who have never gone as far as Togo before run around strutting as if you have anything upstairs whereas you are as clueless and pathetic as a blind, anaemic, paralysed newborn baby seal.
    Only those who have lived outside Nigeria understand the true danger that characterisations and depictions like this represent, or how disastrous and far-reaching the consequences are.
    I advise the writer not to spread his pearls before swine. The Nigerian internet sphere is populated by a large crowd of morons, slow people and airheads to whom stuff like this is as intelligible as Greek or Russian. Next time you want to contribute a piece of well informed commentary like this, perhaps you should send it to a more serious platform than Bella Naija which like its siblings Nairaland and Linda Ikeji, is populated with some of the least intelligent people on the internet.
    You’re too far above their heads.

• Jane Public

October 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Yet you read Bella Naija? It is the people that feel superior over others that are, the worst kind, especially by their utterances they themselves don’t realise that they are not any better than the people they admonish. Your mother must be so proud of the human being that she raised, that has no manners, abusive and uncouth. You shouldn’t be welcome in polite society. Anyone that can only make their point by being this abusive is highly unintelligent. So that invisible imaginary superior intellectual horse you are sitting on, try to look down dear, you will find out that you are not very far up at all.

• Thatgidigirl

October 21, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Pls take the last piece of my chocolate chip cookie @Jane public, thats how much i love you for this.

• Bleed Blue

October 21, 2014 at 5:08 pm

@Jane Public please add my last glass of milk to wash down that cookie. I love you more.

The abusive language content in that comment up above ehn…I was just weak. Like WHY?!

• Beeeee

October 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I believe we can make our views known without insulting people. I couldn’t even focus on your comment because it was filled with insults. Ah ah, “laying pearls before swine?” that was totally uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and if you have a different opinion, I believe you can state that without the insults.

• benny

October 21, 2014 at 2:56 pm

It irks me when Bella Naija refuses to put down rabid dogs. If you guys did, this animal won’t bounce in here with all the pain of fresh neutering to spew vile. I decided to take time off today to just chill and roam this site; along came a cretin.

• Dora the explorer

October 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm

at the end of the day BN too wants hits now..

• Thatgidigirl

October 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Well done o! Christopher Columbus! Richard Quest! The crosser of shores! Einsteins elder brother/sister! Yet you come here to mingle with us mere mortals. You’re an embarrassment to yourself.

• Author Unknown

October 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Perhaps you could suggest a much better platform that would be interested in such topic as the wrongful depiction of Nigerians on a comedy show. We dunces do not know.

• Dora the explorer

October 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm

what are you doing on this blog if you think so low of it and it’s participants?
      you even have no idea what you are rapping about..
      @Janepublic has given you the right response anyways..

• AVID BLOG READER

October 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Urm you came to this blog so you are obviously a moron! I have lived outside Nigeria for over 10 years and I did not take offense to that episode! Read my take below because I know you will come back…moron!

• Chinagorom Martin

October 21, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I don’t have my present opinion because i contribute on this blog, it is just the truth. For you to lump BN and blogs like LIB and Nairaland leaves less to be desired of your being. How many times have you come across those thrashy posts that besiege these other blogs you’ve mentioned on BN? That you find the time to read and throw in comments here shows how much of that swine you are and how gluttonous you are of pearls people like us throw at you. Go get your shit together Mr. whatever-your-fake-name-is. This sense of entitlement you folks who in your heads have been to all important parts of the world and longer than your parents have been alive is starting to smell like rotten egg.

10. Eze

October 21, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Have you watched 2 american teams in the same city playing a game and after the game they declare the winner WORLD champion or have you heard people that have not even travelled outside their state comparing countries .I feel your disgust the media is to blame.

11. princess

October 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm

My response to then I’d use Google properly and research. I had to make one them research and Google developments in Nigeria. The worse is they think we speak done animal language and I am quick to remind them that Nigerians speak English better than even the Americans.

12. Orangeisacolourfulfruit

October 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I watched the episode; though it was insulting, i also was found it to be quite funny and i was relieved that they didn’t refer to the family as “The African Family next door”. American citizens are the most unintelligent people in the world, it’s no surprise that they think all Africans sound just like the guy from “The gods must be crazy”. I’ve encountered so many ignorant Americans that instead of getting offended, i just feel sorry for them for their lack of knowledge. The American media will always portray the African man as either bush or a war lord, It’s never okay, but other countries are not left out, so get used to it sugar pants 🙂

• Orangeisacolourfulfruit

October 21, 2014 at 3:00 pm

*Excuse the grammatical error

13. Beeeee

October 21, 2014 at 3:05 pm

American television has been offending different cultures for centuries. They do it to themselves as well. Infact at one point or another, many of use have been guilty of prejudice ourselves even amongst ourselves in Nigeria. For example, “igbo people like money too much” or “ijaw people drink from morning till night” or “Youruba women are like this or that”. Someone might say, these prejudices are not in the media, but its the same people showing the prejudice in their living rooms that end up writing the scripts for television. Because of portrayal in the media, most black men are seen as gangsters, Italians are seen as mobsters, Jamaicans are seen as weed-smoking Rastafarians, blonde women are seen as dumb, even now, Africans are seen as Ebola-patients because of the actions of a few. So the script writer could have encountered a Nigerian family who behaved like this but it is so wrong to judge a whole race or group of people based on the actions of one or two.

• obi-talk

October 24, 2014 at 9:00 am

You have the smartest comment on this all thread. Honestly you do. You couldn’t have said anything better. Your comment is so whole and makes sense like no tomorrow.

14. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I used to really enjoy watching Modern Family but stopped after a few episodes of Season 4 (due to a personal decision I took to vet my regular TV content).

Not sure that I will see this particular episode to check it out for myself but what immediately comes to my mind (correct me if I’m wrong) is that the writers of the show seem to have a long-established practice of over-exaggerating certain stereotypes. Gloria for instance is written as a very stereotypical Latina (her accent, her constant references to growing up in Columbia, her somewhat hoochy dressing, etc.); Cameron is certainly very stereotyped in what appears to be the wifely role of a gay partnership (his constant need for attention, drama, emotional roller-coastering, more drama, etc.) and then they’ve found a way to insert a further stereotype into the stereotype by regularly recalling his upbringing as a southern redneck.

They (the writers) sound like they’ve done something similar here in featuring “Nigerian” characters for extra laughs. In these situations, I just don’t even bother to get mad (it’s like getting upset at a skit put on by the SNL crew) because it’s TV writers and they’ll do anything for ratings. Certainly feel your pain, though and hope you get a response if you do write to them.

15. Jane Public

October 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm

……..and when Latino’s keep being portrayed as the domestic help, the driver, ooooh, the popular one – the nanny, or the Asian woman at a nail salon, do you hear them throw a hissy fit? Is it not a true depiction of the population? Even their rich neighbour, Canada, is made fun of on American TV. What makes me laugh is when the middle to rich Nigerian feels offended about things like this. You have the luxury of having an ego, pause on that for a second. You think the man selling Agege bread in Idumota gives a flying fist about what was on Modern family last week. Did he even have electricity to turn on the fan in his room to save him from the putrid heat last wednesday? Middle class problems like they say. If it pains you too much, move back to Nigeria and only watch Nigerian shows on TV, that way Your Highness won’t be offended by ABC. Please re-direct your anger at the politicians that are wrecking the country and have created a nightmarish reality for the majority of their people. Emphasis on “the reality” and “the majority”. Because all your friends can speak impeccable English doesn’t mean they represent Nigeria. Have you examined what the average Nigerian family is, or you are taking your sample of the population from your family friends in Lekki. While you are at it, be grateful Lady luck shined on you that you come from a background that even allowed you to know what Modern family is. Last I checked Ebony TV is a global network, please write to Mo Abudu and tell her to create Multi Million dollar tv shows that can be aired across the world, to show that we are sophisticated too. You know the shows that will highlight the tiny minority of Nigerians, so that our egos can feel pumped, and your classmate at Oxford won’t feel like you come from the bush. The ones that will portray “The Island” (as if it is the whole of Lagos).. Oh yeah, that one – the pretense that is Nigeria. Until then, can I recommend that you go find a charity to donate some of your time to. Your humanity would be better served that way, rather than worry about what white people think of you, while your country truly is a dump. Offended my foot. Like Seriously!!!!!!

• Di

October 21, 2014 at 4:14 pm

As much as I see your perspective here, need I remind you that people are inclined to MOSTLY speak up on things that affect their daily living and that is not ego-maniacal. Someone in Agege would only complain about the Nigerian government, Lagos traffic etc but never this writer’s issue here. The writer here would complain about this ‘danger of a single story’ because it affects his daily life in America of being condescended by people even before they know him; he isn’t selfish by worrying about things that currently affect his livelihood than what is happening in Agege right now. It’s human responsibility to look out for yourself first. If a plane is going down, wear your own air mask before trying to help another with theirs, that’s life.

This mentality that most Nigerian diaspora are living in a huge condo, schooling in Ivy league, driving fast cars and only got rich people’s problem is sickening, this writer might be living in his own ‘Agege’ here in USA. Him speaking up on this doesn’t make him egomaniac, I can relate to his post. Him dropping his dreams and running down to Nigeria to save it, sounds ridiculous. It will take more than that to save our nation.
      Everyone in life has a story to tell, nobody’s story is more important than the other. How can you give a voice to others’ stories if your voice is heavily pregnant with your own story?

• Jane Public

October 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Back track a little. The reference to the classmate in Oxford was just an example. Yes, people talk about what affects them, but being aggrieved for an entire country, when you know the true situations of things is stretching it, totally stretching it. You cannot legislate for ignorance, neither can you control it. Till the world ends, there will always be ignorant people. You don’t hear Canadians making noise about how much they make fun of them. I still insist that you have the luxury to have an ego. Even if you live in the Agege of the USA, your lot is better than Agege of Lagos, and it is quite shallow to be worried about Nigeria’s image and how it affects you. Oh, poor you, and all this problems you are facing from your white neighbours. Can I come braid your hair and we talk about it over tea? The negative image you are subjected to is not a fiction of the imagination. The struggles are real. Just because a select few have managed to escape the reality that is Nigeria, doesn’t suddenly mean that people will respect you for that. Until the majority have what you have, the story will not change. So what are we doing to ensure that the story changes, not just to benefit the select few of us (who have the privilege of being subjected to ignorance), but the majority. We overcame Ebola, the first country to be officially declared free by WHO, of course the ignorant man in Nebraska wouldn’t remember that. My point is, it is what it is. Talk about the things that only affect you all you like, the day the poor masses decide to rise up and almost burn the country to the ground – it happened in France, then it will be your problem. It is okay to complain about it and be offended about it and talk about it among your social circle, but to write an article about it and send to Bella Naija to air your grievances.. Really????? Perspective people, perspective. The world doesn’t start and end with you.

• Di

October 21, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I agree with most of what you said but this isn’t about legislating nor controlling ignorance. For this isn’t ignorance but a grievous misrepresentation. My own concern is not about the poverty propaganda by US media but the degrading of Africans as unintelligent and inarticulate ugly primates (misrepresenting ALL societal classes of Nigeria) just to feel empowered. These people are being informed (whether false or true) so this isn’t ignorance.

You talk about the Ebola, was watching CNN over the weekend and a Caucasian White House rep said and I quote: “If we can control Ebola in Nigeria, we can control it here”. Now this isn’t ignorance but a blunt lie to empower Americans as intelligent problem-solvers and Nigerians as another African nation that is not cerebral enough to solve their own problem. No mention of them going to Nigeria to learn how it was done. What the media portrays is very powerful and shouldn’t be ignored. I see Latinos and other diversities call in CNN or pen their concerns to the media for correction once misrepresented. Reputation is everything in US!!! The media mostly do ONLY skits on Canada and other diversities, and not questioning their intelligence.

I think the combative conversation you are having with the other person- Dario is sipping in here, so I’ll stop here. I’ve meet so many Nigerians of all classes and they are not inarticulate morons that speak only 3 words and cannot comprehend English. This is a huge misrepresentation of the vibrant intelligent talkative Nigerians (poor and rich) I know; it’s hard to keep quiet about it.

• TA

October 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

@Jane Public,Senegal was the first country to be declared Ebola-free, Nigeria is the second.

• Amber Lake

October 21, 2014 at 5:27 pm

True Word! I am grateful that people like you are there to tell it like it is. I wrote something similar in 2012 when people were going all nuts on Rick Ross’s video being shot in the Slum. http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/09/26/bn-bytes-nigerians-react-to-rick-ross-nigerian-hold-me-back-video-watch-footage-of-iroktvs-nigerian-opinion-poll/

• Sefunmi

October 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Grievous misrepresentation? D are you kidding me. Have you watched any Battabox video? Should I sponsor a trip across Africa for you to see the reality. A comedy is a comedy, you guys are over reaching sorry. A lot of comedies extend the natural “truths” of situations in jest or mockery. They mock other races every time, the joke is getting old. It is you guys that are getting your knickers in a twist to think Modern family is educating Americans (whether false or true) about Africa. Anyone with half a brain will see that they were trying to be funny. The people you are worried about that would see Africa as unintelligent primates (racists and their cohorts), if you like show them a video of the houses in Parkview Ikoyi, they will still be prejudiced against Africa. So take a chill pill on the “we feel misrepresented”. Entire communities in Africa are illiterate. I didn’t say un-intelligent though. The statement on CNN is a normal every day statement people make when they feel they are better than someone else. If so so can do it, I can too. It is a statement made my millions of people every day. America is better than Nigeria now, no be una beg for Zmapp how many days ago? See where I am coming from? It isn’t necessarily insulting unless you are overly touchy. “Reputation is everything in the US!!!!”, now I can see 100% where @Janepublic is coming from. You guys are just worried about your poor selves. Make una no vex ehn. Write to ABC and march on their doors. We here for 9ja, we have more things to worry about.

• UgoBabeeeeee

October 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm

all that grammer yet you still miss the point

• specter

October 22, 2014 at 4:55 am

God I love u so much! As I scrolled down each line, you just spoke exactly what was on my mind and did so even better than I could. After browsing the homepage a bit I just realised something I should add.
      In about two articles including this one the author casually refers to ‘ABC shows’ like this ABC is NTA or some household name in Nigeria. I’m not a regular on bella naija but I thought the main audience was supposed to be Nigerians. I know some visitors of the site are living abroad, but I think it’s wrong to just assume that the average person is so familiar with this ‘ABC’ Maybe I’m just the one who’s razz and out of the loop, but I thought that just rhymes with your argument with the man from agege. We need to stop deceiving ourselves.

• Jane Public

October 22, 2014 at 9:54 am

Thanks for the correction @TA. Oh @D, I read below that the woman in the pool is actually Nigerian. So, what do you have to say about that. Sefunmi and Specter have completed it nicely. @Sefunmi, well said about the bit of the people who will think that is how Nigerians are, if you like show them houses in Banana Island sef, they will still be prejudiced. Especially when they know that those who own homes there have contributed to the problem of Nigeria, or that one too is a lie or as you called it “gross misrepresentation”. You guys are worried about your reputation in the US, I stand by my earlier comment. Enter Mo Abudu to portray us in a positive light. I heard Desperate Housewives – the African version will soon be on air

16. Neharra

October 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I honestly don’t see how this is any different from African Americans being depicted as thugs in Nigerian movies. More often than not in a nigerian movie, someone who came from America (especially black) usually has a gun, does drugs, has a rough personality and appears uneducated. Should they also be offended by this? I have not seen any Nigerian movie that depicts a well spoken educated african American, and there are many that exist. The truth is ignorance shall always persist amongst certain people. We all have an opinion about some other race or culture. Racism is not always the case.

• Mama

October 23, 2014 at 12:34 am

Don’t mind Nigerians oh……every Nolllywood movie , Yoruba or English will portray the American wife as spoilt, can’t cook, rude and no manners……returnee kids from abroad are spoilt and can’t greet, cook etc……I have lived in the uk and travelled widely and I know kids who are well behaved…..yes that oyibo mentality is there but they have basic home training..truth is human nature we all stereotype each other…..

17. Girly

October 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Please I want to watch the episode. Where can I watch it here in Nigeria?

18. Dario Hreidarsson

October 21, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Abeg carry that weak sarcasm and stuff it into an orifice somewhere dark, I don’kt give a rat’s eyeball what you think or how you see me.
    You lot are so brave and mouthy when it’s time to confront a fellow Black person who makes you uncomfortable by saying the truth. 25 of you will gang up to tell me to shut up while strutting around playing the Big Man on the Nigerian internet. But let ONE white person come here and insult you, your ancestors and your entire civilisation and you bunch of worthless cowards will disappear and go off into hiding.
    You’re only brave when you’re talking to someone just like you. Carry this fake, pretentious bravado and go and meet even your white subordinate with it at your workplace – that’s right you’re too chicken to do that. A white producer will insult your entire country by using people from Burundi to portray “Nigerians” acting in an offensive, primitive manner but you do not have the stones to confront the humiliation head-on at source like the writer of this article did. Instead you prefer to wallow in your humiliation and roll around in your filthy boy-boy dirt wagging your tail for Oga Oyinbo TV Producer. I bet you even feel flattered that he chose to portray Nigerians at all because in your mind, the most important thing on earth is to avoid conflict with your darling Oga White Man who has your best interests at heart and is totally, absolutely never ever going to do anything to harm you. Heck, even if he does, you prefer to lie down there and lick your wounds in private, still enthusiastically wagging your tail for your master.
    And when I, a fellow Nigerian come into the picture and call BS on this rubbish, I now become the enemy. Not the racist crackpot who is wilfully using a global media powerhouse to destroy the image of Nigeria and Nigerians. Not the media outlet which allows its platform to be used to broadcast offensive white racist propaganda. Not the useless production crew who couldn’t even be bothered to get people with actual Nigerian accents to destroy Nigeria’s image.
    No o, it’s ME who is your enemy. It’s ME, a fellow Nigerian who will suffer the effects of such overt and blatant racial hate propaganda that you should focus on.
    Someone else can use you like a football but when I point out that you are a massive COWARD and possibly unintelligent for letting such things slide, I become the enemy. Because it is ME that you should be worried about abi?
    Ok then. Whatever.

• Jane Public

October 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Oh dear, because you only know about, or know of cowards who don’t stand up for themselves, suddenly everyone is a coward. Can we add shallow and narrow minded to your long list of failings? A white producer insults your country, and so what? Is that a problem that we should focus on with the long list of problems in this world? You are the one that is giving the ignorant person power over you. News flash darling, the image of Nigeria is in tatters. Until it can provide a security for its citizens, clean water, sound education, good hospitals and not just for the rich,, then it can worry about image. Your country is a SHITHOLE. Are you blind?
      The white Oga you hate so much created the internet and the device you used to type this, heck even the English you wrote was brought about by the white Oga. Oh wait, you forgot that bit. Why didn’t you type in your local dialect. Dario Hreidarsson – what a lovely Nigerian name. Even your internet avatar is a foreign name, Mr I feel aggrieved that Nigeria was insulted. A man was beheaded last week, the Nigeria you are so proud of and offended that it was insulted – girls were kidnapped 6 months ago and haven’t been released, many children went to bed without dinner, people are dying on its roads, its hospitals are a death trap, billions of dollars go missing every day. Why are you not upset about that.
      So, you Mr brave hero of Nigeria, what are you going to do about it, since we are cowards.. You that have the stones to confront the humiliation, we are waiting to see your efforts Oh Mighty one. Oh wait, you can only rant on Bella Naija, now who is “playing Big man on the internet”. If Bella Naija is for idiots, where is your own website for superior intellectual folks like you, oh wait, you can’t even setup a free wordpress blog.
      So, we are waiting for you, Oh wise one, to create the intellectually superior website, and to also lead the revolution to demand that ABC show Nigerians some respect, because the oh so glamorous and perfectly working country that is Nigeria, deserves respect. You just also insulted your fellow African country – Burundi, feel better now? Guilty of the same thing as ABC. What is the size of that thing in your pants, because if ranting on the internet makes you feel brave and superior to “cowards”, the joke is on you darling. ABC doesn’t know who you are, and doesn’t care. Get angry, foam at the mouth, insult half of the country, ABC and the cast of Modern family are still earning their millions. Well if you tell me that Shonda Rhimes is your mother’s cousins’s, aunty’s godmother, then I will try to take you seriously. Awon internet Army generals. Amo iru yin. LMAO.
      I have your time today. I am sitting at an airport lounge waiting for my flight – yes you know the aircraft the oyinbo Oga created while your people are still flying on brooms in Nollywood movies.

• Bleed Blue

October 21, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Ok that’s it. Jane Public for President already!

Dario dear Dario, you miss the point. Read your initial comment again. Slowly. Then you will understand how you became “the enemy” as you choose to refer to yourself.

• Thatgidigirl

October 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I would really hate to get into a fight with you @ Jane Public LMAO! you’ve been served Mr. Dariowhateveryournameis

• benny

October 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm

So being “attacked” is painful? I had no ideaaaaaaaaaaa. See how the thing is killing you but you can stroll in here as if ur owners let go of ur leash and throw insults. Dan iska

• nene

October 21, 2014 at 4:42 pm

this man has lost the plot. what the hell are you going on about. you have miss road oh. if you are tired of living, biko kill yourself. you comments are not coherent and also make no sense to what is being talked about.

• UgoBabeeeeee

October 21, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Dario….i support you….some of these Nigerians are so daft….they will kill you to support what is destructive to them as long as oyibo is attached….stoopid prideless cowards….what you are saying is too intelligent for them to grasp….

19. BlueEyed

October 21, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I thought so too when I watched the episode last week, very cringe worthy and I couldn’t finish the episode cos of that. The writers were totally off with this episode, and it’s disappointing because I love Modern family.

20. new bride

October 21, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Hope this long story will not live and die on Bellanaija. Please figure out how to get it to ABC otherwise you’re just huffing and puffing here in vain!

21. Ifeanyi ifeanacho

October 21, 2014 at 4:05 pm

C’est la vie. Modern Family still ranks as one of the best comedy series in modern times but the negligence on the part of the episode story writer was horrendous. Even if it was done under the guise of comic relief, it takes a toll on the image of the country.

22. Agape

October 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Ojie, my sentiments exactly. To say I was appalled when I watched that episode last week would be an understatement. Ignorance at its peak!

23. AVID BLOG READER

October 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I watched that episode and loved it. I was not offended at all. Modern family is a comedy and yes they exaggerated and over played the ‘naive African’ thing but it is all apart of the comic effect. As for the accent, plssssss so many Hollywood movies with African portrayal rarely get the accents.

We have bigger things to worry about like hearing on my local Radio in Calgary Alberta Canada that there is an influx of Nigerian Scam emails again and people should beware. Now that was both gut wrenching and embarrassing!

As for how we are perceived by the western world, well I was once asked if our houses are thatched and I answered; “No! Only the one that houses the Canadian High commissioner to Nigeria.” Most Westerners think Africa is a jungle and this is due to their own ignorance. Most of them have never even left their home towns left alone own a passport.

24. tru

October 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Excuse me, who says Nigerians aren’t dog lovers??? And please, I didn’t see what all this righteous brouhaha is about. You made it sound like the TV producers committed some unforgivable sin. Chill, biko. Us Nigerians take ourselves a tad too seriously

25. Anonymous

October 21, 2014 at 4:18 pm

When Nigerian comedians make racial jokes about white people you dont complain o. My friend please go and sit down, this clearly shows you dont have real stuff to worry about

26. Ese

October 21, 2014 at 4:55 pm

what episode is that?

27. kelem

October 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Ojie, jane public nde obodo oyiboooooo. Una sabi speak plenty and big big englis for hia oooo

28. Frankly Chris

October 21, 2014 at 5:56 pm

It’s appalling when you notice the carelessness and nonchalance that some of these foreigners exhibit, when portraying alien cultures and people. And some will think that only our alaba producers, do hush hush productions! However, with respect to the dog issh, I do sincerely think that some Nigerians are beginning to exhibit certain perceived Western traits that are not stereotypically Nigerian, hence that can pass for one of those. And it is important to joke note that every individual, including Nigerians have their varied perspectives on what a typical Nigerian family is.

• No Wonder

October 21, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Mehn we too in Nigeria, we have the same nonchalance and ignorance. Ask the average Nigerian on the street, abroad is a romanticized place. You pick money from the street. You can be a hairdresser and make millions unlike in Nigeria, Is that not why people do things at all cost to escape Nigeria? It is when they get to the “abroad”, that they realize this abroad no be heaven o. People lead normal lives, there is no money on the floor and if you have to work, you work HARD to get the money. That right there is ignorance. For if they were informed, they would not sell all their properties just to leave Naija.

Seconding what Jane Public said, the terrible situation of Nigeria is real mehn, very real. I am currently undergoing an internship in the USA and NGOs show the work they have carried out in countries such as Nigeria, Mehn, I dey weep because I know it is real and not exaggeration. They show videos of some states in the north and having lived in both worlds, I know the situation in Nigeria is terrible. To help you lead a sane life without being angry at life and people in general, the first thing is to accept it. Don’t run or dodge it. Accept it. You are black, you are from Africa, Africa is generally not doing well right now. However, that is not the whole story. We are working on it, I am a living testimony etc. One day, just one day, things will be better.

My Dad grew up in abject poverty! Abject is too nice a word to use, So poor that he couldn’t eat for days but he struggled to go to school in order to get a job. Now, we his children did not get to live his kind of life, we had it better! My children will live better than I did and so on and so forth! Nigeria and Africa will get there someday and I believe it. For now, abeg make we manage some of these stereotypes and ignorance because most times, the stereotypes actually fit more than 70% of the Nigerian population. Also, you can’t legislate for ignorance.

29. ade

October 21, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I totally relate with this story. I studied in Italy and London at different times and they were amazed that I speak good English.

30. susan

October 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hi…Can someone please tell me what the author means by accent that will not even pass for Ghanaian? Thank you

31. tree

October 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Na wa o. Some of y’all love grammar. Chaiii y’all have got the time to write a biography instead of a comment lol smh. Y’all Americans are dumb & some have never left their counties let alone know how others behave in their countries. lol, so why waste time commenting on this.. Next!!!!

• tree

October 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm

*know*

• Mama

October 23, 2014 at 12:45 am

Give some Americans a book and ask them to identify a word then u will know they can speak but not read……some have no idea about certain states in the us…..I don’t bother myself, I just give u an answer to put u straight, there and then depending on my mood and how stupid I think u are…..lol…

32. Nikky

October 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I don’t know about most Nigerians but for me and my household we like dogs. In fact we love them they are practically part of our family. As much as I agree with you with the horrible accent and the general poor knowledge of what and how Nigerians are, the dog part is a naa.

Still on accents did anyone catch Thandi on half of a yellow sun #gadtdanm her accent was wack as hell. Most “Nigerian Hollywood” potrayal end up sounding either South African, East African, Jamaican or a mix of all these. It was a little ok in Tears of the Sun.

• Kay

October 28, 2014 at 9:50 am

I think with Thandi, they tried to portray her as a rich kid who had lived outside the country so she picked up an accent

33. yes ke

October 21, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I get the grievance BUT biko….half of a yellow sun movie that was a story about nigerians, written and directed by nigerians….had its two leading roles cast by actresses whose tongues could not even pronounce the names properly let alone get the accent right. That movie gave me high blood pressure for days! this is not new. if we can’t be authentic to our own storytelling, how can we expect anyone else to go thru all that research?!?!?!?!?!?

34. Susan

October 21, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Hi…Can someone please tell me what the author means by an accent that won’t even pass for Ghanaian? Lol Thank you

• blessed

October 21, 2014 at 8:58 pm

@Susan
      He just means that the Ghanian accent sounds somewhat similar to the Nigerian accent and so if the show’s producers cannot get someone to speak in a Nigerian accent while depicting a Nigerian family, then they should at least have tried using an accent that sounds somewhat similar to the Nigerian accent and that accent would have been the Ghanian accent. Canadians and Americans have a similar accent too and the same can be said for Ghanians and Nigerians. The writer of the article did not mean what he said in an offensive manner.

• susan

October 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Thank you Blessed. I wasn’t offended at all. I was just wondering

35. amaka

October 21, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I myself was appalled by the episode, so I tried to post a complaint on the abc network website to no avail. Modern family is one of the only TV shows I look forward to every week and now my love for the show has faltered due to this gross conduct.

36. quiet confidence

October 21, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Wow, so much debate about this topic, some on point, others way off base. Although, I have not watched this particular episode, I think Ojie’s POV is a valid one. Such a portrayal of a Nigerian family can send the wrong message. Most Americans who watch the show will come away with the stereotypical belief that that is what a typical Nigerian family is like.

The question to ask is what was the motive of the producers of the show? Was it portrayed that way purely for fun, was it meant to be derogatory, or was it due to ignorance?

If it was meant for fun, then no sweat. However, if it was meant for the other two reasons, then there are moral and ethical implications that need to be addressed. This is what Ojie’s was trying to do and I think he should be applauded for it.

When a show or program has portrayed a group of people in a not-so-stellar manner such group has come forward to set the record straight. Case in point, when a program aired in the US sometime ago that portrayed the Muslim women in a negative manner the Muslims women addressed the issue. This made mainstream networks take note and ensure a more appropriate portrayal thereon.

Not speaking out communicates acceptance and this in itself communicates the wrong message.

• Di

October 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Thank you!!!!!! I can see some comments here saying the post is an over-reaction. No it isn’t! When you are wrongly misrepresented, speak up if you have the opportunity/medium.
      People please read the post properly before rushing to comment, the posters’ concern is not about Africans presented as poor people rather his concerns are about Nigerians portrayed as not being able to hold a conversation in English, which equates to unintelligent to some ignorant Americans.

37. life

October 21, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Imagine how African Americans feel by the daily insulting depictions and people believe that all of us are the same. Welcome to reality!!!!!!!!!

38. Nafeesah

October 21, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I have not seen the show, but I quite understand the writer’s plight. The media is a really powerful tool and a lot of people form their opinion from what they see on TV. No one cares what the mood of the program is, comedy, movie, news, talk show, reality show, series, and so on, a message is more often than not passed. I’ve been in that kind of situation severally, as I school in an European country. Most times our lecturer who is white makes statements like”….some years ago we had a great famine in our country and people were dying like people are dying of starvation in Africa”, or”….the economy of our country is low like the economy of an African country” these statements are usually made in the presence of we the black students. In a mixed class of white and black students, the teacher pays attention strictly to the white students during class discussions or seminar, even if he will direct anything to us, he will make statements like’…at least African students should know this” I know we are all different, but i do find it deeply offensive. A lot people with that kind of mentality are informed through the media, most of them have never been to Africa…at the end of the day, the effect of this gross misinformation affects our serious lives as Africans, no one cares if they got their idea from a ‘harmless’ comedy show.

39. Memunah

October 21, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I honestly don’t see the big deal. This is something we all do consciously or otherwise. We stereotype everyone and everything. Don’t get your knickers in a twist over something you’re possibly an expert at. Its just pure entertainment. BTW what did you mean by ‘It will not even pass for Ghanaian’ ?

40. Magnum Spartan

October 21, 2014 at 8:54 pm

The typical Nigerian or African family in the US is very aspirational, and likes to be depicted correctly because wrong depictions affect their respect in society and create hostile environments for their children at school and in the work place. It is not a trivial matter. These people live here in the US and not in Agege. They will have blogs and concerns that have to do with their lives there. You should be proud of the African community in the US, because they are trying very hard and if they want to be respected, they have the right to demand it.

face2faceafrica.com/article/african-immigrants-in-america-education#.VEa4-4dX_mY

• Di

October 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I feel better reading more comments like this. How can anyone not understand that how you are perceived in a society (mostly a foreign one) matters? I think some people are being indifferent here because they are not in US and it doesn’t directly affect them. And this isn’t rich people’s problem, na Naija wahala.

• Sefunmi

October 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Then sorry if Nigerians who live in Nigeria don’t have sympathy for you guys and many of us may never have the resources to live outside Nigeria. No blame us ehn if we are not particularly concerned about some parts of your problems, how many of you are concerned about some parts of ours, or were you expecting us to rally round you and be pained about a TV show aired millions of miles away where we don’t even have strong internet services to download? A few days ago I tried to watch Criminal minds on my laptop, my baby would have started walking by the time Etisalat would finish the download. After, if we are doing ALS ice bucket challenge, na una go still accuse us of doing follow follow for wetin no concern us, when Ebola dey ravage the country or malaria. You Nigerians in the Diaspora, one can’t win with you guys. Remember, the majority of Bella Naija readers live in Nigeria. I am sure BN has google analytics data to prove that. It is like you asking me to help you come fight your mechanic, when I have never even had a bicycle in my life. About perception in a foreign society, how about you guys gather all the fraudsters, running from immigration, marrying people for papers, bringing people from nigeria and forcing them into prostitutions, hard domestic labour and tell them to stop disgracing you guys plus all the bad news we hear that Nigerians that live with you in the US commit. In my previous comment, I said the people you are worried about that would be influenced negatively by this modern family episode, even if you like show them videos of houses in Parkview Ikoyi they will still be prejudiced. Anyone that thinks the impression of Nigerians for any white man in America will start from this Modern family episode, is seriously naive. This is 2014 people. TV’s did not just get into people’s homes. You want to change the dialogue about your people, change what the majority projects both home and abroad. Oya I help una to commiserate, after Bible talk say make we mourn with those who mourn. Happy now.

• Jane Public

October 22, 2014 at 9:57 am

“You want to change the dialogue about your people, change what the majority projects both home and abroad. ” – that’s THE TRUTH right there

41. Duchess

October 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Finally scrolled to the end of this intellectual war. Whew!

42. $exyD

October 21, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Correct characterisation is one of the most important key in acting/representation of events…western media is guilty of this…most of the films that has ever portrayed Nigeria always give the impression of East Africa…war-torn and starving dangerous people…even Phat…Bourne Identity etc are guilty of misrepresentation!

43. Lin

October 21, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I wonder why they felt the need to include a Nigerian family when they don’t see fit to include any African American characters.

44. tee

October 21, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Directed to Jane Public…..apparently you are feeling like a mother hen to support what That gidi girl wrote……pls scroll back she had no right to write and i quote “The lady that lays my weaves is nigerian, has lived in UK for over five years and cannot speak two sentences in english without mixing her tenses or adding yoruba here and there. Try talking to a semi literate person that relocated from Nigeria to Lewisham or woolwich in London where you can stay 2 years without having any contact with a single white person”. What was her point exactly…… so many countries are very okay with speaking their native language, I dont know why its termed inferior in this part of the country………Yes Dario should not have been insultive, but you going on and on about it is not necessary…………My two cents.

back to the post, i love the article above and it was written to address some of the challenges the writer faces in his everyday life, if he feels this is affecting him in a negative way then my dear you have a right to write about it. I just hope it can get to the producers and not waste on bella naija

• Jane Public

October 22, 2014 at 9:58 am

Errrrrr sister, may I re-direct you to Thatgidigirl’s comment and the responses below it. All it would take is a little exercise in scrolling.

• Mama

October 23, 2014 at 12:55 am

Lol….talk about Yoruba girls who have shops in edgeware for braids…..gosh u will think u are under Abe bridge in ikeja……loudmouthed, speaking Yoruba in their loudest voice over your head……nothing wrong in speaking your language but when mixed with getto omo Alata attitude damn…..

45. jake ro

October 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Am very greatful to whoever that send in this article.the media has become a terror to this world, making people believe all sorts of lies about a lot of issues thereby , causing a lot of havoc in the world

46. jake ro

October 22, 2014 at 12:18 am

Image matters a lot., especiallyy where the people involved are doing all they can to be part of the society in which they live in.

47. Mabel

October 22, 2014 at 12:42 am

I don’t watch the show, but the writer may have some legitimate gripe with the show. Every culture has the right to protect their image. So many ppl in the US have never come in contact with a Nigerian, and Americans are not known for being very bright when it come to culture, many of them depend on their tvs for lessons about the outside world, so yes, Nigerians should be cognizant of the cultural images that are being broadcast about them around the globe.

The writer should send a letter to the show and the network the show airs on. Also have a number of Nigerians do the same so that they are aware of it.

48. NNENNE

October 22, 2014 at 1:05 am

Barely watch TV these days. I am happy with who I am so those things don’t bother me anymore. One day a colleague came to me with the typical ” well meaning pity” for poor Africans . I told her to start with this very poor African and donate her next pay check to me. She told me I was different and I reminded her that I was still African. That even in Africa people differ. She still remembers that conversation till date.

The media is to blame.

49. Nkechinyere

October 22, 2014 at 1:08 am

Typical of the European way of thinking of other nationals….not only Anericans….and i live and born in the US…not to many travel to ther countries other that Europe and most will always have that “token” friend that they base all cultures on. Dont take offense, your better off laughing on the short comings of their cultural knowledge

50. tunmi

October 22, 2014 at 2:39 am

Well there was the Russian referee and his characterization of the Serena sisters, and there is Modern Family’s characterization of Nigerians. It is interesting to read the unanimous comments on own and the polarizing comments on another.

I wonder if BN staff discuss these matters.

51. Anonymouzly

October 22, 2014 at 4:03 am

Okay…I didn’t see the episode and I didn’t read the article by Ojie. One thing I did notice though is that the woman/lady in the pool is actually NIGERIAN!!!!!!! Yup!!!! She is NIGERIAN!!!!!! Her name is Folake Olowofoyeku. Check her out at thefolake.com. I’m still doing a double take because I cannot believe it!!!!!

52. gbemi

October 22, 2014 at 5:25 am

Preach o biko. Because me I gave up after ‘District 9’. Every country has its few skeletons . (Even tho sey we dey on the grave yard level for naija.) But we don’t always have to compare our major problems to every subject matter. Just cause we manage to pull through the challenges we face as nigerians living in Nigeria, doesn’t mean smaller (yet significant) issues like this should be overlooked. Its the reason we are where we are in the first place. It’s called: ‘the battered wife’ syndrome. “My husband can pimp-slap me all he wants, after all daddy did worse; hell I should feel lucky I scored a man with my top-of-the-line low self esteem” . Stereotype breeds ignorance, ignorance fosters discrimination and discrimination breeds a whole litter of ugly drama.Anywhere can be agege when u facing avoidable stereotypes/discrimination. True, every nation gets her piece but if they want to “uncontiously” trend up a stereotype on a big time media platform like Abc, least let it be true biko. I almost lost a gig couple years bk cause the employer thought i might hv trouble communicating with her prospect plus she thought I had cooked up my entire resume…all these presumptions before I got my chance to speak egbami! Least she told me later on after giving me a blind shot, the shock on her face when I told her Nigeria was an English-speaking country. When it comes to ignorance, Nebraska is too far away ojere, I see it in many forms amongst ourselves. It cannot be stopped but it can be managed. No one can disrespect us without our permission. na awa hand e dey o. Glad the OP spoke up!

53. Ajegunle

October 24, 2014 at 4:58 am

Please everyone get a sense of humor and get a laugh. We all laughed at Borat. Poor potrayal of middle easterners. We all laughed at Bruno. poor depiction of gay people. Its called Comedy. Look it up.. A parody pushes the limit of what is acceptable. This is just a case of extreme sensibility. Get a life people and move on.

54. iye

October 27, 2014 at 12:39 am

Y is it dt most ppl r just control freaks? How is it ur business if something offends Some1 n it doznt offend u? I Watched it n I felt bad,dts d way I feel n it shouldn’t affect anybody.everyone’s got. Rights to express whatever so quit trying 2 impose ur views on people cos ur opinion will remain ur opinion .jeeeeeez!

55. passanger123

January 22, 2015 at 12:56 am

WOW! Everyone is arguing on here with each other instead of using this time and letters to write something to the ABC channel about that episode. I once got a few friends to complain to the BBC about something similar and it worked. I came on here to see if anyone was suggesting something active I could join (if I haven’t seen all the comments and there is someone suggesting something, I apologize). I think if you see this and you’ve seen that episode and are offended by it, you should write a quick complaint to the channel telling them your reasons for your concern.