Features

BN Cuisine with Chef Fregz: The Mango Prawn-Chicken Copulation

IMG_6421Today, we’re celebrating the end of Mango season. I hear now that it’s only “kerosene mango” that is available now. Anyway, I found some good juicy looking mangoes last week and thought of something really easy to make with it. I also had my version of a peach chilli glaze that I used a while ago – just clearly swapping the peach for mango.

I have made some chicken prawn kebab. I think kebabs are a quick and easy way to look like you slaved in the kitchen. Nobody needs to know that all you did was pile a bunch of things on stick and made a kick ass marinade for it and served it hot or in some cases cold. It is also very communal and share friendly. These surf-turf kebabs allow you the best of both worlds -like eating your cake and having it kind of scenario.

Here’s what you’ll need
12 pieces large prawns deveined and cleaned
2 chicken breasts cut into large cubes
2-3 garlic cloves finely minced or pureed
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
6 kebab sticks soaked in water for at least 30 minutes … this is to prevent them from burning.

Mango Sauce
1 large onion cut into big chunks
1 small bunch fresh coriander
1 or 2 medium mangoes peeled and flesh chopped into chunks
A few sprigs of spring onions
1 heaped tablespoon garlic ginger paste
1/4 white or white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
Salt and white pepper to season

_DSC3791

How To
Marinade the prawns and chicken with the garlic, chilli, light soy sauce and black pepper. Leave to sit for about 30 minutes to an hour. If you cook immediately, it is fine to be honest. Just add a little more seasoning perhaps._DSC3801

While it’s marinading stir fry the mango sauce ingredients (leave out the vinegar) with the table spoon of oil. Do this for about a minute._DSC3797
Transfer to a blender add the vinegar and a bit of water and puree to however chunky or fine you want it. I like it very smooth, so I can brush over meat properly. Adjust seasoning as you feel. place on a low- medium heat to bubble till it is thick and almost syrupy.

Place the skewered prawns and chicken on a hot grill pan.

_DSC3813 Once one side has grilled brush or spoon over the mango sauce.

When you flip the pan, brash the other side and allow cook. Flip once more and glaze one more time. By now the prawns should have cooked through as well as the chicken. Try not to over cook the kebabs. Also be careful not to confuse the grill marks for doneness.

_DSC3837 Make sure the meat is hot all the way to the centre.

_DSC3826 _DSC3828Grab some really cold drinks to go with the heat in these kebabs maybe some chips or rice because we are proud Nigerians!

Enjoy what’s left of the Mango season!

Ciao!! A Bientôt!
Photo credit: Joel Adu for Chef Fregz @joeladu_ instagram | Food Styling Gbubemi Fregene

Chef Fregz loves to cook! He is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts School in France and hosts monthly “Chef Fregz Specials” where he whips up a yummy menu with a different theme each time then everyone enjoys a taste. He also caters special events and private dinners. To find out more visit www.cheffregz.com. Chef Fregz provides premium private catering services. For bookings and orders email [email protected] – @Chef_Fregz on Instagram and Twitter. You can check out the Chef Fregz Page on Facebook as well.

1. j

June 5, 2015 at 8:30 pm

nah God go bless you…. you shall be big. if this kind man abi chef propose to me i shall say yes oh cause the kind food i go dey dream , ezited about the future! “food”

2. bunmi

June 5, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Could dis b food?

3. pearlinspire

June 5, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Aww….bn following chef fregz on the knorr taste talent show on tv & he ‘s such a great chef who has a penchant for attention to details & poignant talks. Wow he ‘s such an amazing cook, in my spare & settled time by God'”s grace, ll definitely be tryin this eyepoppin healthy delicacy out…..
    i sure ll have this page bookmarked…. kudos, bros.

4. Nia

June 5, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Biko buy a new chopping board and buy a couple with colour coding, seoerate for meat, veg, fruit I know we nij people just like to use obe for all but e no dey be like that 😉

• Fregene Gbubemi

June 6, 2015 at 10:24 am

Hey Nia, Iactually have a couple but that just the problem with chopping boards to wear and tear. colour coding honestly gets confusing but I tend to just always make sure what I have used for fruit and veg is either flipped over to another. But good point.

• Nia

June 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

You are just a great person, I don’t know you but have heard nice things about you wow see as you take my constructive critiscm with no fuss, painment or fight.
      Professional things. God bless you

5. Wale

June 6, 2015 at 5:08 am

Is it safe to cook prawns and chicken together like that? I don’t think so, since they require different temperatures. The chicken has to be properly cooked to prevent salmonella poisoning.

• Fregene Gbubemi

June 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

I used large prawns and chicken breast. The chicken should be about the same size as the prawn. Chicken breast cooks really quickly. make sure you cut them down smaller if you want to feel safer. or do them separately. Thanks for reading,

• Wale

June 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Okay, thanks.

6. tee

June 6, 2015 at 5:56 pm

OMG.will u marry me? u love cooking nd i love eating.matchmade in heaven

7. Adannaya

June 6, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Dear Chef Fregz,
    Thank you thank you for adding greater spice to my planned barbecue tmrw. I did a test run of it with hubby and he has told me that if this is the only food on the menu, our guest will be happy campers 🙂
    The balance of mango marinade along with the spice from the kebabs was out of this world. Ngwa post your next challenge in a rush 😉
    Nice one!