Features

Drop the Weight with EJ: Four Benefits of Exercise

Exercising for long periods of time every day won’t do you much good if you go on to eat unhealthy food. While we all know this, sometimes it’s difficult to get motivated to exercise because it takes some time to see the benefits. Today’s post is all about benefits the traditional benefits of exercise that you expect to read about, but also one benefit that you can expect to see almost immediately. This benefit is one that you’ll love if you want to use less foundation too, so read on.

Build Muscle
Depending on the kind of exercise that you do, you can turn your body into a more efficient calorie burner. This is achieved by doing exercises that build muscle. I’m not talking body builder muscle – most women don’t have enough naturally occurring testosterone for this. I’m talking about lean muscle. There are several reasons we as women should want to build muscle, I’ll start with two:
It burns more calories than fat during activities. This is of particular importance if you have long term weight loss goals
It takes up less space than fat. Even though muscle weighs more, it takes up less space than fat so you get that lean and slim look that a lot of us women want.

Use it As An Outlet for Stress
According to an article on the Mayo Clinic website, physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. If you have ever heard of “runners high” this is what is being referred to. Also there is nothing like hitting a punching bag hard (if you have one) when you have had a hard day at work. If you’re not one for using intense cardio like running and kickboxing, yoga is also a fantastic way to relieve stress while moving your body in awesome ways that’ll have you feeling like a superwoman.

Increase Your Energy Levels
This sounds counter intuitive but exercising can help increase your energy levels. One of the ways it does this is by helping you be stronger because you have more muscle mass than you used to and this added strength can help you do things for longer than you could before. This is what happens when after two – three weeks of taking the stairs you don’t feel as tired as you did when you started.

Maintain Great Skin
If you’ll like to reduce the amount of makeup you use, you’ll love this benefit. Sweating is your body’s way of getting rid of toxins and when you exercise vigorously you sweat a lot. This sweat can help clean out your your pores, which reduces the buildup of dirt and can reduce your chances of breakouts and blackheads aka you don’t need as much foundation. Just make sure to take a bath after working out so as not to clog them up all over again.

Overall exercise is a good way to achieve your long term wellness goals whether they are about being healthier and stronger or about looking leaner and slimmer. It will help you get there faster. Plus if you are trying to lose weight and you incorporate exercise into your routine, you can eat a bit more and still achieve your goals.

Over to You
I’d love to hear how you benefit from exercise. So if you currently exercise please share the biggest benefit that you’ve seen in your health, body, and life.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Michael Zhang

EJ (Ejiro) is a writer/engineer/mom. She writes about healthy living to help busy professional women lose weight, keep it off—and actually feel amazing. She created a Registered Trademarked System (VAFs®) for healthy eating for weight loss and wrote the book Weight Loss for High Achievers to help busy women lose weight and let go of the idea that the only way to succeed is to diet for the rest of their lives. With EJ's methods, dieting isn't required and neither is spending hours in the gym for meager results. P.S. If you want to get the goal-crushing motivation to reach your weight loss goal, then you'll want to get the first chapter of EJ's book for FREE. Click here to get it now.

1. Nife

July 8, 2015 at 12:39 pm

One day at a time…

2. Ejinwa

July 8, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Thanks EJ! Another great article…for me, it definitely helps me relieve stress….it has become a part of my “me time”…I actually look forward to it most days

• EJ Ogenyi

July 17, 2015 at 3:34 am

You’re Welcome Ejinwa!!! I’m glad to hear that you’re still reaping the stress relieving benefits of your workouts. Yay to Me Time!!! Have an amazing day.

3. Awosh

July 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Exercise has helped me become more confident and it has increased my stamina.I am so proud of me be cause I know where I came from.

• EJ Ogenyi

July 17, 2015 at 3:35 am

Hello Awosh,

Thank you for sharing how exercise has impacted your confidence. Way to go and keep up the great work.

Have an amazing day!

4. Tosin

July 8, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I want to get in the habit of exercising a bit more…

• EJ Ogenyi

July 17, 2015 at 3:36 am

Hello Tosin,

It starts somewhere. If you can get more specific about what a bit more means, that just might get you where you want to go. Good luck and please report back about your progress.

Have an amazing day!!

5. ACM

July 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm

There are lots of benefit when u engage in exercising health wise, smart, sex life increase. Alertness stress less etc.

• EJ Ogenyi

July 17, 2015 at 3:36 am

Hello ACM,

You’re definitely right. Thank you for contributing your voice to the conversation.

Have an amazing day!

6. gwen

August 5, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Hello EJ,
    What exercise will you recommend if one wants to lose flabby arms…(actually not flabby) but big arms..lol

• EJ Ogenyi

August 5, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hello Gwen,

Great question. First, you’ll need a full cardiovascular workout to help you raise your heart rate and burn the calories. You can go for steady state cardio like running or bicycling, but I suggest going with a HIIT workout that uses interval training to burn more calories during and even after you’ve exercised. Then you’ll want to target your arms with exercises like pushups, bicep curls, and tricep extensions. If you have only three days to workout, you can do an interval workout that has exercises like lunges and squats combined with push ups and plank exercises for your arms. If you have more, do a similar routine with different exercises to keep you mentally and physically challenged on alternate days.

I hope this helps. you should check out my Smash Boredom Fit Club if you’re looking for something more custom to get you s tarted. Otherwise, checkout my youtube channel (youtube.com/user/ejogenyi) for exercises to tone your arms. Look under my playlists and you’ll find a category dedicated to your goal.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions, have an amazing day, and as Always, Stay Beautiful!!!

EJ