Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: I Pay My Rent, So I’m Not an Alcoholic

There’s an urban legend in my village about the King’s first son, the Aremo. According to the stories, the Aremo’s ‘star’ had been appropriated to ensure the success of the monarchy. The result of the ‘star’ appropriation is that the guy has never really held down a steady job, and he is usually found drunk and passed out in drainages around the town. He seemed like such a cool chap, until he got drunk and started talking ten to the dozen. For a long time, I wondered what he ever did to his dad to make him just take his ‘star’ like that. But I grew older and realized that this wasn’t about ‘star’ taking. This Aremo was simply an alcoholic.

In Nigeria, we don’t really pay a lot of attention to alcoholism. Like anxiety disorder and other mental health issues, it is not really given prominent attention and we can readily explain it away as something that comes from external factors. In fact, that is even when we acknowledge that alcoholics abound in our society, and our culture even encourages it.

It’s there in the lists sent for marriage rite requirements. It’s there in the constant pouring of libation for the gods of the land. It’s there in the final rites for our old and dearly departed.

Of course, unlike the English people who openly go out to get plastered over the weekend and boast about it in the office on Monday, our own version of alcoholism is very much covered up. And this is where our problem lies! We like to cover things up, hide, lie and pretend they don’t exist.

We hide our children who have developmental issues. We make excuses for our abusive husbands. We blame our substance abuse issues on our enemies from the village and God forbid we try to seek help. Because seeking help means even admitting we have a problem. Besides, why do you want to give the enemy room to laugh at us. So, we blame the Star thieves for our alcoholism.

Then, we have the alcoholics in the city. They’re the cosmopolitan, upwardly mobile Nigerians. They’re constantly drinking, talking about having a drink, or sleeping off a night of drinking. They’re not washed up in the gutters like their low-income counterparts. But they pose a higher risk, as they drive drunk, operate heavy machinery, and a lot of times, get violent. They’re seen with their sunglasses and those red plastic cups – a signature of Turn Up at its peak. Sadly, they’re always in party mode. Bottoms up.

In researching where to get help for an alcoholic in Nigeria, I stumbled across a Nairaland thread where the topic of alcoholism was being discussed. Nigerians cited alcohol as being evil. Yes, the bottle of whiskey is the problem, not the human with an inability to control his/her actions.
After perusing the thread, I didn’t find any useful resource about where to go if I was an alcoholic. However, I found quite a few interesting things I thought to share.

1: The Nigerian alcoholic has a problem identifying when he has crossed the line (This is a version of the denial phase). There’s a presupposition that if you’re not falling inside gutter, and you can pay your rent, you’re probably not an alcoholic.

Exhibit A
Hi,My name is Richvkunt ,I drink a minimum of three bottles of the ultimate beer every day. At times on saturdays after a football match especially if my team wins,I go out and systematically get rip roaring drunk.(6-7 bottles) I live in a well furnished flat,and I pay my rent in advance. I drive a nice car.I dress well. Ladies find me attractive,and I do my duty towards them. On sundays I go to church and do my christian duty.(The only day I don’t drink.) Am I an alcoholic? Do I need help? [Sic]

2. The average Nigerian genuinely believes alcoholism is a White problem.

Exhibit B
i don’t really think its a big problem in nigeria. unlike in other countries, like south africa or in the west! [Sic]

Exhibit B(i)
We need to separate binge drinking from what people call alcohol addiction. Both are more of a problem in western countries because alcohol is cheaper and more available/assessible. [Sic]

3. The average Nigerian is unable to have a conversation about ANYTHING without the backing of religion.

Exhibit C
Strong drink contains alcohol
Soft drink is Non-alcoholic.
Simple.

Jesus turned water to wine (non-acoholic).
For those who have been to Jerusalem, they will know that their type of wine ferments after being left for long and so becomes alcoholic.
That was why Proverbs 23v31 says: Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it goes down smoothly’ [Sic]

Exhibit C(ii) (The gods be praised! Someone to steer us right back on track!)
It would be very easy to kill this important thread by turning it into a religious debate on what the Bible did or didn’t say about alcohol/wine.

Common sense should apply here please. Alcoholism is a big problem plaguing Nigerians today that should  be exposed and discussed honestly. It is either you believe you have an alcohol problem or you don’t. At the end, deceiving other people is all well and good, but self deceit is just plain stupidity.

Alcoholism is real in Nigeria. It is not a myth, it is not something that happens because of stolen ‘stars’. Alcoholics need medical help. They need the love and intervention of their friends and loved ones. There’s treatment for alcoholism at the neuro psychiatric hospital, Aro, Ogun State. No, you cannot pray alcoholism away. First you have to admit that you have a problem, in order to seek help. Then, we need to address this business of requiring ‘hot drinks’ for every native rite of passage. Drowning your liver in whiskey isn’t a sign that the gods have accepted your prayers.

If you are ever in doubt about alcoholism, and whether you need help, here’s something from one of our dear friends at Nairaland:

Alcohol addiction is a problem all over the world.
In Nigeria, it is a problem that should be contained now. . because IMO, it is in its early stages.
A bigger problem we have is poverty, which makes a major percentage of the population unable to afford regular meals, not to talk of alcohol.
The big drinkers would be out of the small “middle class” that we have.
Some factors that also help the Nigerian situation is our culture/”religion”. Drinking alcohol is not very socially acceptable with us. And we have a strong family support sys compared to western countries. Therefore, alcoholics are more likely to have more pressure on them to quit by family.

Problem drinker
C – Do you feel you need to cut down on alcohol intake
A – Do you feel angry when people talk about your drinking habits
G – Do you feel guilty about your drinking
E – Do you need an eye opener (alcohol) to get going in the morning.
If you answer yes to 2 of the 4 questions, it is possible that you might be a problem drinker!!! [Sic]

Peace, love & moderation!

You can read up more about alocholism in Nigeria HERE

Toodles!

Photo Credit:Dreamstime |  Andres Rodriguez

1. Neo

September 7, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I like my occasional booze. I drink at home, in bed just before I fall asleep. The only thing I’m a risk to is sleep and how I murder that bastard. But I’m a single woman and apparently it’s not classy and doesn’t speak well of me to have alcohol in my home. The men might drink it and whatever happens thereafter is my own fault. I don’t think drinking moderately and with good judgment is a vice for any adult but our culture has trained us to hide it. If a woman drinks beer she is seen as loose or crass slutty. But in the abroad, women meet up at pubs for beers after work and it’s ok

• ElessarisEllendil

September 7, 2015 at 3:58 pm

“If a woman drinks beer she is seen as loose or crass slutty.” You my dear obviously ain’t Igbo, a bottle of stout is the average Igbo middle-aged woman’s drink of choice. As long as you hold down your liquor who’s going to see you as a loose??

• Ayoola

September 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm

And to correct the writer….not only men are abusive,there are some abusive women too, so next time say “partners”. Just so everyone knows, i am a woman and i know what i stand for and what i totally against.

• Neo

September 7, 2015 at 8:49 pm

I’m hoping you read that statement as a misconception that is common place.

2. larz

September 7, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Good luck with finding anyone admit to a drinking problem around here.

My uncle (dads bro) had a case of star stealing. My question has always been, why is it that they used alcohol against him? Even if this evil star stealing happens, it can only work with an existing condition.

3. TA

September 7, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Great article Atoke! You did not mention how our law enforcement officers are sometimes seen in drinking alcohol while on duty! If in doubt,drive through Ojuelegba under bridge or Falomo under bridge in the mornings. What do you have? Policemen clustered in groups around those women selling kparaga and agbo with area boys drinking alcohol and smoking. You see them as early as 7:00am with their bloodshot eyes drinking copious amounts of alcohol. These policemen who are obviously on duty (some of them even holding guns) patronise these women who clearly have no license to sell alcohol. Let us even talk about underage drinking. Some of these shady looking joints are manned by little teenage girls selling alcohol on behalf of their mothers to bus drivers, conductors,touts etc. How many nightclubs or bars in Lagos or other parts of Nigeria refuse to sell alcohol to clearly underage drinkers? If you doubt me, call any 9 or 10 year old boy or girl and ask them to go buy you a bottle of Guinness and see if they won’t come back with as many bottles as you can afford. We are not a serious country! A government that cannot tell you the amount of crude oil it sells per day,is that the government that would be responsible enough to regulate alcohol consumption? It is clearly up to Parents/Guardians, school authorities, etc should begin to educate our youths about alcohol. And as for drunk drivers, look no further. Every Saturday morning, drive through major roads in Lagos and you would see accidents with clear evidence of persons who have been DUI. Why does the FRSC officials not have the breathalyzer test kit? WHY?!!!
    Wish you all a pleasant week

4. Tamuno

September 7, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Honestly a lot of Nigerian boys are alcoholics. They don’t realise it just yet. Nigerian young boys can sit around a table and swallow at least 4 bottles of beer each while just gisting with their friends. Over 2 larger beers in a sitting, even one sef as big as those bottles are is a problem. Not to talk of 4. My boyfriend has a drinking problem as far as I am concerned. Though the boy hardly gets drunk, while I am rolling all over the place after one cocktail. I love him very much because he is a sweet and lively guy. We have both agreed to start sticking to red wine. We also jointly enjoy weed, though a few smokes gives me migraines. I guess I suck at this getting high idea. Though I started partying very young. Funny stuff.

• Lala

September 7, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Nope, its not funny.

• MC

September 7, 2015 at 9:12 pm

You seem to think that you and your boyfriend should have the same tolerance level to alcohol.
      By what you have said, because he can handle more than you, then he has to be an alcoholic.

• PH Boy

September 8, 2015 at 8:17 am

You and your boyfriend smoke kposh together. I like your kind of love o!

5. that girl

September 7, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Its not marriage or man matter thats why till now, nil comments. Nice topic. Dare I say the poor or low income earners are also plagued by this disease. In fact they are worse hit because the kind of alcohol they take is not only cheap it has more percentage volume than regular beer. E.g ‘kain kain’.
    I think its a problem already growing like a tumor its just not cancerous yet.
    Other suggestions to tackling this problem are to use the media. No singular advert or Nigerian film talks about the dangers of alcoholism and the attendant effect on the human body especially the liver, rather a drunk is added as a comical relief.
    Alcohol destroys the liver and the person may need transplant sadly that is an area untapped in nigeria.
    For those that will quote the bible on a little wine for stomach ache just know medically moderation in alcohol use has not been found to beneficial.
    I apologise in advance for any typo and the long sermon.

• Ross

September 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Goodness. I was just scrolling through the comments to see if someone will notice.
      People are not interested in subjects other than sex, relationship and how to find the right husband. Too sad.

Atoke girl, a standing ovation for this one (late as I am reading this article). You’re articulate as ever and I’m proud of you, friend in my head.

6. Seriously

September 7, 2015 at 2:36 pm

What thing I will say is, each culture is different. And every group, culture and country has their defense mechanics and how to deal with problems. Nigerians hide everything(“bad behavior) to appear like a saint, Americans are open about everything including their bad behavior and give you options to make it better or worst. I find it odd that people from other parts of the world specifically Nigerians make reference to how open Americans are and leave out the consequences and problems that comes with being too open or having too much freedom.

The difference between Nigeria and America is accountability and responsibility. Bragging about your alcoholism and still find a way to be coherent and function effectively, is different. America gives you free choices to self destruct or self elevate yourself. If you are bragging about how turnt up or wasted you are and is affecting your schoolwork or job, it will catch up to you one day. You can’t bribe your school or work here, you are the one losing out. But you have too many options and chances to make a change for yourself. In Nigeria, many people don’t take accountability. They are in denial of their problems. They don’t want to appear a certain way bcos of fear of judgement. Therefore, there are not avenues or options for help.

If I’m a landlord, and have a tenant who’s an alcoholic, sorry you are not staying in my house, don’t care if you pay your bills all the time. It’s my personal preference.

7. ednutey

September 7, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Its a sin for FRSC to have breathalyzer test kiy, but you can be sure to see them on Fridays n Sundays when they are sure to catch pple unawares and in their most charitable form on the roads.#mtchewww

8. nwa nna

September 7, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Finally!! I have come to the conclusion that there are lots of Nigerians that are functioning alcoholics, more than we care to admit.. Never ceases to amaze the amount of alcohol consumed by my friends and some family members. I once sat and watched a classmate down an entire of bottle of brandy within half an hour of me joining them at a joint, and that was his second bottle of brandy based on the evidence on the table…

9. mrs chidukane

September 7, 2015 at 3:19 pm

A guy has finished a crate of star in front of me before. My friends can drink 3 bottles of Veuve each in one sitting. It really scares and alarms me. I don talk tayah. Alcoholism is real and it’s worse cos young men especially see drinking as something cool. Drinking by policemen is the worst. That’s how they kill innocent people and get away with it.

10. Lala

September 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm

No wonder.
    Bata parked up, the textile mills parked up, and many more industries folded due to low patronage, but look at all the breweries- going strong, many of them since the early 60’s and 70’s.

• newbie

September 7, 2015 at 5:11 pm

You have a point there….

11. mee

September 7, 2015 at 4:09 pm

ok how do u classify one as an alcholic is it went i get drunk on one bottle of smirnoff. Or if i can hold down 10 bottles of star beer? cos i have heard pple say if i dont get drunk on numerous bottles i am not an alcholic

• Thor

September 8, 2015 at 10:33 am

It has nothing to do with how quickly you get drunk but with the inability to say no to a drink.
      If you are getting drunk everyday then I would say you have a problem.
      If you cannot manage to say I will not drink for a week and keep to it then there is an addction.

12. Otitokoro

September 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Life is hard. Doubly so in a place like Nigeria. Everyone needs a crutch. For some, it’s religion; for some, it’s alcohol (temporary and easily abused, I know). It could even be food or fashion. Mine is coffee. Anything to make the journey a little less of a slog.

13. Thatgidigirl

September 7, 2015 at 4:33 pm

When my cousin joined a secret cult in uni it was a case of star stealing (according to his mother), when he didn’t graduate after 7yrs on a 4yr course it was blamed on stolen star. Then he was sent abroad to complete his education but came back as a weed head drop out, the star stealing uncle in the village was still to blame. Now he is 42, a full blown alcoholic, drug addict and a major nuisance to his immediate family yet no one has taken the initiative or external advice to check him into a facility. Instead countless deliverance sessions have been conducted by every Tom dick and Harry pastor across the nation for the past 18yrs at least. It beats me that educated people cannot understand the concept of substance addiction, hence leaving themselves and their loved ones to waste. I guess it’s convenient for a lot of Nigerians to witch hunt rather than apply common sense. If you don’t have the discipline to save and make good financial decisions, it’s your witch Aunty in the village that is the cankerworm. You have a bad attitude and keep chasing potential husbands or wives away, your step mother has put a veil to cover your marriage star. I tire Abeg!

14. babygiwa

September 7, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I don’t drink because my faith is against it.
    I honestly think we have a serious problem in Nigeria, you should see the way our young people, celebs and even law enforcement agents drink! It is horrible! What I detest is the way we think it is ‘cool and urban’, you see them hold the red plastic cups and feel like kings and queens.
    It is not that people cannot drink but moderation is key. Stop abusing alcohol! Stop ruining your life by yourself and claim it is your aunt in the village that is stealing your star when it is the excessive alcohol that is dimming the light of your star!

15. Korede

September 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Atoke! I love this one right here. What about the ones that wont come to a party if alcohol is not being served? Do they fall under this bracket as well.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 7, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I half-joked to my mum some years ago that alcohol won’t be served at my wedding. She very seriously responded that Mr. Groom and myself had better reconsider that decision if we’ plan to invite a large percentage of family and friends. Used to be a big drinker myself so I’m not speaking from the point of view of the uninitiated but even when I enjoyed a tipple or two, don’t believe I would have rejected an invitation for the simple reason that alcohol wasn’t going to be served at the event. Abi, I should also ask prospective hosts/hostesses for their menus so that I can express my vex that they won’t be serving fried plaintain or nkwobi? That’s how silly it sounds to me and this attitude shows how much of a crutch alcohol has become for many people.

And the drink companies have recognised this largely unregulated area in Naija and are seriously cashing in. Feels like almost every highly publicised social event (or “turn up”) featured on BN is covered by some alchoholic beverage or the other. Plenty of famous faces market those brands and sadly, we don’t see enough of the same faces pushing PSAs about the dangers of drink-driving, for instance. So the society keeps pretending all is well (a farce we’ve practically perfected) while relatively young people keep developing kidney diseases at an alarming rate. Let the self-deceit continue…

16. Ufuoma

September 7, 2015 at 6:53 pm

To the poster above who asked how can we define alcoholism, it’s very simple. If you cannot make it through your day without drinking or craving alcohol, craving as in it consumes and fills all your thoughts then you are an alcoholic. Not every thing is a religious problem some people just genuinely haven’t learnt to cope with the rigours of adult life withput turning to a substance and that’s unfortunate.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 8, 2015 at 2:59 pm

On another note, how do you define those that cannot go through a day without at least a bottle soft drink?

• Atoke

September 8, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Candidates for Agbo jedi!

17. S!

September 7, 2015 at 8:36 pm

What’s more alarming is the consumption of weed by kids these days. I’m practically a kid (20) but every young person thinks it’s cool to smoke weed. I pity this generation. Parents watch your kids, if possible experiment with it so you’ll have an idea of what your kids are exposed to. Be watchful.

• Tunmi

September 7, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Honestly, I’d take weed over alcohol. Weed sef is in moderation. I cannot understand how somoen can live their daily life in a haze.

18. maryjane

September 7, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I know of a chronic alcoholic. Trust Nigerians, they blame his alcoholism on some spiritual forces. People will always say his father’s wife did something something to him. It’s amazing how educated and exposed people think this way in 2015! Whenever they discuss about this guy and how they feel sorry for him, I just keep mute cuz I know they will never agree it’s not a spiritual problem.

19. araabella

September 8, 2015 at 12:37 am

Last year I met a smart law graduate turned financial services contractor at a wedding. He was hung over from the night before as he sat next to me in church. As the wedding celebrations continued and day turned to night his staggering ability to drink whisky on the rocks did not escape me. No judgement though, it was a celebration after all. Fast forward a year later, mister man and I arrange to meet in city two hours away from our respective homes for a night out before I was to go on baby shower hosting duties. He arrived with a bottle of whisky which we had a bit from before dinner. At dinner he ordered Guinness (stout), after dinner I went to my hotel room to get ready for our club night and he went to his. When he came to my room the bottle from earlier was – I kid you not- half empty. During our club night he kept ordering whiskey on the rocks and by the time we left the club I had lost count of how much he had drunk. I asked him about his drinking and he said it was nothing, he had it all under control. He plopped himself on my bed as I went to shower before bed and you guessed it the bottle of whiskey was completely drained. It was a massive turn-off to say the least. Today I found out he is engaged to be married and I wondered if the drinking was to mask a guilty conscience? WONDERS NEVER CEASE.

P.S. This guy clearly has a drink problem. If you recognise yourself in him seek help.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 8, 2015 at 12:57 pm

It’s quite nice of you to think you are the source of his problem.

20. Las

September 8, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Whether we admit it or not, a good number of us are drinkards (a la Tutuola) / drunkards.

Stats:
    – Number 1 market for Guinness
    – Second fastest growth in champagne consumption
    – No. 1 in Africa for alcohol consumption
    – The spirit market,consisting of distilled alcohol beverages (especially whiskey, brandy and vodka) is estimated at $2 billion and has increased by 6% every year since 2007
    – Nigeria is the largest market in Africa and the Middle East for Moet Hennessy
    – Alcohol Consumption in Lagos is 134% greater than the country average

God help us….

21. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

One of the first phrases I found fascinating as a child was “he wrapped his car round the pole”. It always blew my mind how someone could possibly do that.

Growing up, I’ve seen cars wrapped around everything from poles, to trailers, medians, bridges, railings, bill boards, signposts and every other thing wrappable. People have been driving under the influence of alcohol in Nigeria for so long, only we’ve got them confused with the influence of the “village helpers”: The blinding light from nowhere that he saw before veering to wrap the car he got for his 18th birthday was not the halo of the village witch, but the headlights from the rightful user of the road telling him he was driving in an opposite direction.

Until @Idak mentioned it sometime ago, I never really noticed why I found the foray of alcohol brands in Nigeria disturbing. Every weekend is “turnt up” with drinks and some known singer or face headlining the show. It breaks my heart that we see this as some form of recognition: an endorsement that Nigeria ( read celebs) is taking its place in the international scene. How fickle we are.

I got hooked one weekend watching “1000 Ways to Die” and “Top 20 Dumbest” with some family friends. The crazy things people do for and with alcohol is mind-boggling to say the least.

Alcoholism is not a white man’s problem; neither is it spiritual. Its symptomatic of a deeper psychological malaise. Notice how most alcoholics often blame people for their pitiable state.

Drink responsibly.

22. Hephie Brown

September 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm

This should help?

Self-Test: What are the Signs of Alcoholism?

1. Do you drink heavily when you are disappointed, under pressure or have had a quarrel
    with someone? Yes No
    2. Can you handle more alcohol now than when you first started to drink? Yes No
    3. Have you ever been unable to remember part of the previous evening, even though
    your friends say you didn’t pass out? Yes No
    4. When drinking with other people, do you try to have a few extra drinks when others
    won’t know about it? Yes No
    5. Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable if alcohol is not available? Yes No
    6. Are you more in a hurry to get your first drink of the day than you used to be? Yes No
    7. Do you sometimes feel a little guilty about your drinking? Yes No
    8. Has a family member or close friend express concern or complained about your drinking? Yes No
    9. Have you been having more memory “blackouts” recently? Yes No
    10. Do you often want to continue drinking after your friends say they’ve had enough? Yes No
    11. Do you usually have a reason for the occasions when you drink ? Yes No
    12. When you’re sober, do you sometimes regret things you did or said while drinking? Yes No
    13. Have you tried switching brands or drinks, or following different plans to control your
    drinking? Yes No
    14. Have you sometimes failed to keep promises you made to yourself about controlling or
    cutting down on your drinking? Yes No
    15. Have you ever had a DWI (driving while intoxicated) or DUI (driving under the influence
    of alcohol) violation? Yes No
    16. Do you try to avoid family or close friends while you are drinking? Yes No
    17. Are you having more financial, work, school, and/or family problems as a result of
    your drinking? Yes No
    18. Has your physician ever advised you to cut down on your drinking? Yes No
    19. Do you eat very little or irregularly during the periods when you are drinking? Yes No
    20. Do you sometimes have the “shakes” in the morning and find that it helps to have a
    “little” drink, tranquilizer or medication of some kind? Yes No
    21. Have you recently noticed that you can’t drink as much as you used to? Yes No
    22. Do you sometimes stay drunk for several days at a time? Yes No
    23. After periods of drinking do you sometimes see or hear things that aren’t there? Yes No
    24. Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking? Yes No;
    25. Do you ever feel depressed or anxious before, during or after periods of heavy drinking? Yes No
    26. Have any of your blood relatives ever had a problem with alcohol?

Ill like to add..do you drink every single night u hang out or can you just say “no im cool”?

23. Hephie Brown

September 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Alchoholism is everywhere in nigeria.. and i think people have abused alchohol as an excuse to avoid the pain they live in everyday.. i almost became an alcoholic..albeit a closet one..it was in school and i would only sleep if i could only get a drink..well it was a depressing period so i would drink and cry and sleep..routine..almost every damn night for about a month..somehow, i just stopped it as soon as i started funny enough.. I suck at drinking..half a glass of baileys and im twerking in the middle of the room.. but me, if i notice anything was about to become an addiction, i simply make it a point to stop it totally.

From the bus driver to the conductor, to the lastma guy, to the policeman, to the guy who drives his camarro or honda accord 1999 that have drinks in their cars..to drink on the go..As long as there isnt even a law to control drinking then we might not even be able to legalize wrong drrinking cos too many people are selling it illegally and too many people are drinking and driving..the least the law can do is at least make sure a mans drinking problem is not a problem to another. You will almost get urself arrested if u are drunk in the abroad and start constituting public nuisance?right?

Social media can combat it also like most of y’all said..people of public repute speaking against alcohol abuse… but that’s not about to happen till we start reforming the whole system itself. It’s more than a social hype.. its about the people who make money off it who won’t allow it to stop..andd that includes the government?

24. mabel

September 10, 2015 at 9:14 am

I keep wondering how 100 year old great grandmas in Isoko, who wake up early to drink strong alcohols and drink all day everyday don’t have problems with their organs while young people die everyday from drinking same. It’s baffling.

25. Peaches77

September 14, 2015 at 9:52 am

I love my alchiii joor… But I don’t have time to drink normally, that’s why I await the Xmas holiday especially at the village….??⚠️ Best drinking experience especially after a good dose of the ‘real swallow!
    Hey if I visit you, never offer me malt.. Kai! What is that? ????

26. missjones

September 26, 2015 at 11:35 am

As far as our Nigerian society goes, alcoholism has taken more of the masculine population (not to say there are no female alcoholics). I’ve seen situations where a boy makes a couple awoof thousands by nook or crook and then calls his “guys” to hang out, where they drink away the entire awoof money. I had a friend who was allergic to spirits ( rashes and cant-go-out-when-it’s-sunny type) but took them anyway. I know boys who were relatively cool in 100 level but have stopped school just because they started thang out with the “cooler’ guys who smoked, drank and blasted e ma da mi duro from their speakers all day long. It has become some sort of rite of passage and it is destroying lives. Alcoholism is not a spiritual problem, it’s a social one!