Career

A Peek Into the Life Of…Environmental Officer – Tosan Iwere

We made a call for BellaNaija readers to be a part of a new exciting feature, titled A Peek Into The Life Of‘ which the Features Team has been working on. {Click here if you missed it} We’ve been very excited by the feedback we’ve received and we’re happy with the submissions we’ve been receiving. It feels so good to get to know our readers better – what they do. So far, we’ve had three interestingly diverse features. Deyemi Okanlawon, Chinedu Anarado and Jennifer Akporehe.

Today, Tosan Iwere, an environmental officer joins the league of people sharing their lives with us.

tos1 (2)Job Title
Environmental Officer | Industry: Government

What do you do specifically?
• Monitoring of the HSE activities of PSC Companies.
• Processing of Waste Management Contracts (Drilling, Production, and Medical & Domestic Wastes) for all PSC Companies
• Participate in PSC Companies Joint inspection visits (JIVs) and Integrity checks.
• Review of Budget/Performance of PSC Companies.
• Ensure adequate Participation in Safety Audits / Monitoring
• Review and collate PSC Companies Safety incident /HSE reports and analysis of same for management information.
• Review and evaluation of Environmental studies (EIA, PIA, EER, EIS BASELINE) proposals.

Core Responsibilities
• Participate in Processing of Waste Management Contracts (Drilling, Production, and Medical & Domestic Wastes) for all PSC Companies
• Preparation of Monthly reports/Participate in PSC Companies Joint inspection visits (JIVs) and Integrity checks.
• Review of incoming and out-going documents in my section/Ensure proper monitoring of the HSE activities of PSC Companies

How Long Have You Been at This Job?
I have been working in this organization for four (4) years.

Highlights of Your Job
Most of the work I do daily is done in the office, and it is more of paper work. But the highlight of my job is when i go out for field work and get to see how EIA & PIA is carried out. When I also go offshore, I get to experience what they go through working in that location. It is refreshing since in the office I only get to prepare reports and make recommendations, but this time I get to make recommendations based on what I see and my experience.

tos6 (2) tos4 (2) Downsides of Your Job
Most of the companies I carry out review on their budget/performance sometimes think I am wicked when their budget is being slashed or not approved. I am only trying to help the government save money and give the company value for their money. This sometimes can cause enmity. Some people also think since you work with this organization you can land them a contract; but, there are due processes to be followed. This makes them think I do not want to help. Another scenario is when making a report after an inspection, and it’s not to the company’s favor. They get angry; meanwhile I’m only doing my job and making sure their facility is safe and not prone to cause an incident or an accident that can lead to death or loss of funds to both the government and their company.

tos6 (1)If you were not doing this, what would you be doing?
I will probably be working in a hospital or some technical laboratory since I have a first degree in Biochemistry and also have an experience in those areas. I did my IT in the laboratory of an oil firm and my NYSC in a General hospital. Again I might have been a model but I guess I am too old for that now; even though some people are still trying to persuade me. My manager presently calls me a model. In my mind I’m like ‘old mama model’☺ You see, I like playing dress up, I like to take pictures…I am always camera ready! I can pose for Africa. Just hold a camera and the next thing you get is a pose. I can be taking a friend a picture but I will be the one posing…it’s that bad!

But yeah, I like to travel and visit new places if and when I can afford it. You see why modeling wouldn’t have been a bad idea for me?

On a scale of 1-10, how would you grade your skill set at this job?
Well I would say a seven (7), because life is a continuous process of learning. Even though I am good at what I do, I still get to learn new things every day. Like now I have a new boss from another division and his style of working is actually different from my former boss. He has made some changes and given me another insight to how things can be done differently in my daily work routine. So you see…you can never know it all and will never know it all.

I Am Living My Career Dream. Yes or No?
Yes and No I will say. Yes, because I get to do what I like when the opportunity comes, like going for field work. No, because field work is what I would want to do on a daily base instead of the paper work I do most times.

We love Tosan’s refreshing honesty. Now let’s see what her average day is like!

Average Day
5:30AM– Alarm goes on, I wake up stretching and contemplating being a full time business woman, so I don’t get to wake up at that time.
5:35AM-625AM– I snap out of my day dream, read my open heaven, say a little prayer and then jump into the shower. I use another 35 minutes or there about to dress up and apply my make-up.
6:25AM– I am outta the house, cruising alongside my sister to work. If am joining the staff bus then I have to leave earlier like about 6:15AM and walk down to my bus stop.
8AM-9AM– I’m at work, greet and gist a bit with colleagues, eat breakfast if I feel like which I don’t normally.
9AM-12PM– Work, Work, Work. It could be me reviewing documents, presentations, or briefing of some previous jobs done by me to my boss.
12PM-2PM– Lunch break, if am done with lunch before 2PM, I go back to my desk, get on social media; Facebook, Instagram, Blogs, Bella Naija for sure, Whats App, BBM e.t.c

tos1 (1)
2PM-4:15PM– Work as usual, review of documents continues
4:15PM– I start clearing my desk and shutting down my system.
4:30PM– Close of Work, Yippeee!!!
4:30PM-5:30PM– Cruising back home, when there’s no traffic I get home 5:30PM but when there’s terrible traffic then I get home 6:30PM thereabout.
6:30PM-9:00PM– Lazy around, might nap for a bit depending on how my day went, have dinner, then sit in front of the TV to watch series, movies, talk shows.
9:00PM-11:00PM – I am mostly on social media again, chatting on my phone, listening to music or gisting with the sister.
11:00PM– Bed time!!! Say another short prayer, reflect on the day’s activities and just stare into space or press my phone again till sleep comes calling……☺

Oh we love how BellaNaija is right there on the list of Tosan’s daily activities! We hope you enjoyed reading Tosan’s feature. We can’t wait to read from you. What are you waiting for? Send us an email and let’s take a peek into your work life!

1. jess

September 7, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Resume work by 9am, 2 hours lunch ,close by 4.30pm and get home by 5.30! I see this work schedule only in my dreams. I officially envy you.

• Taiwo

September 7, 2015 at 7:03 pm

You need to see me here! I’m all green with envy.

• Anne

September 7, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I am quite impressed o Tosan, even though you are a civil servant, you are very serious with your work and will stand before kings by God’s grace,(Proverbs 22:19) some people treat government work with a lackadaisical attitude but you have chosen to be different. Whatever your hand findeth to do,(Ecclesiastes 9:10) do it with all your heart, if you are not diligent whether you are working for the government, a younger boss or a female boss you are doing yourself because God is the one who promotes. Better to work as if you are working for God.

• anon

September 8, 2015 at 11:44 am

Now I am impressed. you can tell all these from her write up?

2. chiemeka Ugo

September 7, 2015 at 6:46 pm

@jess hahaha i can feel your anger from here sha. Cyber feeling… Well most governement parastatals and private companies in abuja do resume by 9am and close by 5.00pm. Most of them. But my last place of work, resumption time is 8.30am then close by 6pm. Then most times if your unlucky close by 7 or 8pm. Then by the time your back home you won’t even have time for BBM n Instagram self. Just straight to the bed after making dinner, switch on the television n watch some movies and then finally sleep off while watching the tv. I remember most times i got home so tired i slept off on the bed still wearing my work cloth.

3. yinda

September 7, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Abeg pack well.

• Bade

September 8, 2015 at 8:11 pm

But really though. A government worker who is salaried from tax-payers’ money spends just about 5 hours a day working and that’s okay? Wow. I think we’re being a bit too politically correct and avoiding the issue with these comments here.

This, I believe, is why government needs serious help in how it runs and manages its operations.

• Bobola

September 8, 2015 at 9:29 pm

plus field work. Read the article again

4. Lala

September 7, 2015 at 6:53 pm

@ Jess,
    Na government work na,.
    Weldone Tosan. Good to have a side hustle when you work for the government though, because it appears you have loads of spare time. No buying and selling though- government workers can owe gbese for state!

@Bellanaija, please consider adding a contact email for those profiled – maybe not their main email addresses- just a secondary one. That way, readers can send them an email – and it’s their choice to respond or not.

Better job offers can come that way, but better still, many go pass there meet husband (somebody shout hallelujah! )

Remember to stay safe though- meet people the first couple of times with a friend, preferably a male friend in an open place, e.g; a restruant.

5. YGit

September 7, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Wow this sounds awesome! I am currently an undergrad student and I also sort of Study Biochem(I enrolled for biochem but changed it to Molecular and cellular bio w/ biotech) so this is honestly a breath of fresh air!. I’ve been asked what/where I plan to work when/if I move back to Nigeria and my answers have always been very limited. Thanks for giving me something else to consider! 😀

• YGit

September 7, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Oh, if anyone else studies biotech/chem or anything similar please let me know of other places that my degree might be useless! Thanks.

6. Tosin

September 7, 2015 at 7:12 pm

The Tos*n winning streak continues…
    🙂

7. sade

September 7, 2015 at 7:20 pm

you are so lucky. I close around past 10, sometimes 11pm and still drive through traffic on 3rd mainland bridge and go pick my baby at the crèche.

• adelegirl

September 7, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Good Lord! Your baby is at the creche till 11pm sometimes? Wow! I really feel for you. Can’t be easy… Hope things get better for you and you don’t have to close so late and leave your baby in care till late… pele…

• sade

September 7, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Hmmm, I have no choice dear. a friend once told me its better than having to beg for money for diapers and baby food. I know things will definitely get better. Praying for a job on the mainland, where I can close by 6pm and get home by 7pm.

• Tope

September 7, 2015 at 8:58 pm

@ Sade, Ha! That was my first response when I read ur comment. Again, Ha! Please, I beg don’t leave ur baby @ the creche so late if u can help it. Try get off work early, even if it means taking permission to leave early or sneaking out. Ur baby’s life/health is more important than ur job!

• olatunde

September 7, 2015 at 9:03 pm

……and here I am worried about having to pick up my baby 5:30-6pm. it is well with you dear…

8. Chloe Coco

September 7, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Just what I need right now to be motivated to take this environmental toxicology and pollution management masters form, had my first degree in Forestry and wildlife and served in an environmental firm. I’m passionate about the environment but it’s like Nigeria is not the place to pursue such dreams. I don tire… Sorry for the rant. *drops mic*

• Hatsoff

September 8, 2015 at 9:56 am

How about Environmental geology 🙂

• Onome02

September 8, 2015 at 11:04 am

same with me oooo. dis goes to show dere is hope for us in the environmental dept

• Intheoverseas

September 8, 2015 at 11:21 am

Oh it is. Don’t let anything deter. Policies are changing daily and awareness increasing especially in the financial sector. We envisage a major overhaul and huge demand for your type of skill in the near future. Happy to keep chatting to see a potential collaboration when done with your studies. All the best 😉

• Tosin

September 19, 2015 at 5:58 pm

awww, hugs. we will have to change.
      tbh if you read this, i’m eager to learn about the environment, the imperative to do things for environmental sustainability and all…how does that apply to Nigerian cities, rural Africa, and to our lives? maybe you can help us understand and communicate that. i’ve studied a bit but it’s still an oyinbo thing in my head.
      God bless.

• Rukayat

September 30, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Sometimes Nigeria could be discouraging but we would always find a way. I am currently running a Master of Environmental Management at the University of Lagos and strongly believe it would be worth the while and stress.

9. Oloye

September 7, 2015 at 7:40 pm

NAPIMs big babe! You sure you really spend such long hours (yes 2 hours is a long one in public service) working?

I hear you…

10. sucre

September 7, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Biochemistry gunning for an m.sc in Environmental Sanitation. Hospital not my Forte, I wan do field work jor. Can’t spend the whole of my life cocooned in a damn laboratory. Environmental sciences is kinda like untapped territory in naija. Thank heavens they are talking about cleaning up the Niger Delta, na small small.

11. bee

September 7, 2015 at 8:50 pm

I work for a major MNC and office hours is actually 9am-4pm and we get to work from home as often as we want… there are quite a number of coys that provide flexible working hours. I actually worked from home for a month during the ebola crisis because I didn’t want to have to take my kids out…

• Ready

September 8, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Where? Tell me! Or at least give hints. I used to work in a somewhat flexible place that allowed me work 9-4-ish, but this work from home as often as you want business? Tell me!

12. Intheoverseas

September 7, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Good exposure for Environmental Risk Management. On another note. .. I’m searching for an Environmental Consultant that has experience conducting ESIAs amongst other things and is keen to partner with other young entrepreneurs. Interested? Please drop a line. Cheers!

• My Biochem

September 7, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Hello, I am interested in working with young entrepreneurs in the environmental sector and I have some experience in environmental impact assessments. Hope you reply ☺

• Victoria

September 8, 2015 at 8:16 am

Hello! Over here! it will be great to hear from you too.MSc. Environmental management,passionate about human capital development and social responsibility as well. [email protected]

• Intheoverseas

September 8, 2015 at 10:01 am

Thanks for all the responses. You can send email to [email protected] and we can set up a chat. Cheers

• Ada

September 8, 2015 at 1:09 am

Hi, I am interested in working in Environmental risk management/ environmental health. I am rounding off my MSc in Environmental health in December and I am eager to get work experience. My specialisms include Risk assessment,Health and safety, Food control ( HACCP), Pollution management and Housing safety. Please reply, thanks

• fleur

September 8, 2015 at 2:31 am

young entrepreneurs can do more than eias. You can frame your business model to create positive social impacts, and the environment would be one piece of the puzzle. Stay ahead of regulators rather than be responsive to them all the time. If it’s not eias, it will be occupational safety or csr. Send me an email f you are interested in my services. [email protected]

13. betterhealth.com.ng

September 7, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Quite impressive work schedule

14. James

September 8, 2015 at 3:39 am

and are we supposed to know all what these acronyms mean?

15. Abby

September 8, 2015 at 6:57 am

Wow! Typical Tosan! Always brightens the colour in room, always down to earth. You too much girl!!

16. Marketting strategy

September 8, 2015 at 8:53 am

people be coming to market themselves now

Wear their xmas cloth to snap and send to BN

The hustle is real!

17. TeeA

September 8, 2015 at 9:42 am

Interesting peek. BN / interviewee can you please provide the full meaning of acronyms the first time you use them? I believe that’s standard practice. I was a bit put out about it. It is helpful to those who are not in the field and that is one of the goals of this – to help others understand better what it is you do (including industry jargons and acronyms). Thanks in advance.

18. veebee

September 8, 2015 at 10:49 am

I hope someday i will give Bellanaijarians a peek into my career. Thinking of getting an MSc in enviromental science soon. Perhaps that will improve my chances of getting a good job. This kind of Tosan s Job z ma kinda job, love field work. Back to typing ma cover letter. All will be well and will be well.

19. anon

September 8, 2015 at 11:51 am

This was full of acronyms which made it hard to read. After a few acronyms, I find myself totally lost and unable to process what I am reading any longer. I believe when you are writing for the general public (esp when it is not just to those in your field), you should try and keep it less technical and include full names not just abbreviation. I believe BN editors should have fed requested for the full names of the abbreviations before posting.

20. Nne

September 8, 2015 at 11:52 am

My word! I know your brother. I remember you from your days at Uni in England (I think) and you used to visit your brother in Scotland. Way to go! Good to see you doing well Tosan.

21. Awhotu ogigbah

September 8, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Tosan my darling I am so proud of you..I can remember our uniport days how u always brought joy and laughter to every room.I guess you bring same to the office keep it up

22. Awhotu Ogigbah

September 8, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Awwwwwww my Tos Tos I can see you are doing so well.I can remember our uniport bubbling days.How you bring brightness to every room.My soft warri paddimi from childhood.Keep shinning my darling.

23. Tres Chic

September 8, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Good job hun! Proud of how much your career has grown in such a little time. Please seriously consider the side gig , it provides extra income, helps you spend your time more productively and develop a different set of skills.